Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Circle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

About to crack into episode 9, before that a few thoughts on the remaining contestants:
    Shubham is a really nice fella, if a little naive. His very obvious feelings for Rebecca are starting to echo the Dan/Kate situation from the UK version. Hope he's not too hurt when he finds out the truth!

Sammie is probably my favourite, and the only one who I could see myself actually being friends with in real life.

Joey is a clown, but harmless enough. He's a pretty sound fella overall, and that sloppy kiss with Miranda seemed to come from nowhere!

Seaburn isn't very good at catfishing but is somehow getting by. Impressed he safely navigated the period conversation!

Chris is a nice guy but, for me, doesn't really add much. I'd've much rather if Caryn had stayed. I'm also curious as to how someone who's gay can be into all the god stuff?

Adam the catfish is terrible but somehow he seems to have gotten some people on side? Will be happy to see him go asap.

Seán and Bill were added too late to make an impact, and especially when they barely featured in the episode after their introduction. I've no clue why Seán is revealing her true identity straight away. And what girl is called Seán?!

Newest fella who came in with his mother seems like a nice guy but is obviously in way too late. Who knows, maybe he'll pull a Paddy? His mother wasn't needed though, she's no help.

As was written above the series could've been longer than 12 episodes, but can't blame Netflix when they probably wanted to see how it'd work firstly above all else. I think a second series has already been confirmed, I imagine it'll be longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Thoroughly enjoyable season, could have done without 80% of the final episode though.

A second season with an extra 4 episodes and with only one or two more players is the way forward me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

Really enjoyed that - especially Rebecca!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Does anyone know where I can watch season one of The Circle? I had a link for it saved on my skybox but got a new box and now cannot find the link.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can watch season one of The Circle? I had a link for it saved on my skybox but got a new box and now cannot find the link.

Should still be able to download it from the 4 player, no?

• Advertisement

Should still be able to download it from the 4 player, no?

I couldn't find it when I went looking for it on the sky box. It's there for season 2.

Edit: when I look on the 4 Player website I can see it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Watched The Circle France and The Circle Brazil there last week...

French one was really enjoyable - on a par with the US one, maybe even slightly better than the US one, but not as good as UK.

Brazilian one was awful. Really boring compared to all the other ones. And even though it followed the same format as the rest, there just seemed to be something off in the way it was edited.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

French one was really enjoyable - on a par with the US one, maybe even slightly better than the US one, but not as good as UK.

Subtitles?

tedpan wrote: »
    Subtitles?

Yeah subtitles on both. Think you can watch it dubbed too. Both on Netflix, but not in the UK and Ireland. I was self-isolating over in Canada last week, so was able to watch them there... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

https://planetradio.co.uk/the-wave/entertainment/television/channel-4-the-circle/

Channel 4 confirmed their social media style game-show has been renewed for a third series, including a special Celebrity version.
    The show, which is presented by The Voice UK host Emma Willis, will return to our TV screens in 2021, with a week-long celebrity version to kick the series off in aid of Stand Up To Cancer, and now the celeb line-up has been revealed.

The rumoured lineup for The Celebrity Circle

Charlotte Crosby, Baga Chipz, Saffron Barker, Sam Thompson, Denise Van Outen, Nadia Sawalha and Pete Wicks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Surprised if hasn't been on sooner...

.. it's pretty much the definition of social distancing and self isolation! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Celebrity Circle starts tonight at 9.15pm on Channel 4

Was quite cynical about how a celebrity version of this would work but must say I quite enjoyed that! Looking forward to tomorrow's one already.

Zero personalities the lot of them.

Wake me up when the actual show starts.

Was quite cynical about how a celebrity version of this would work but must say I quite enjoyed that! Looking forward to tomorrow's one already.

Yes same. I don’t know who most of them are or who they were playing. Before it aired I wasn’t sure how it was going to work out with catfishes but I enjoyed that!

If you want a bit of listening to regarding The Circle, there’s a podcast called The Circle Unofficial Podcast. I listened to one recently with Tim from Season 2 and if you can bear him practically speaking in monologue it gives some food for thought. They also have one with Paddy Smyth, winner from Season 2, on how his life has been since winning.

Really enjoyed the celebrity series, sorry it's ending tomorrow but at least the main event is starting directly after. Hoping the two lads catfishing as Rachel win, think they're very funny.

Really enjoyed the celebrity series, sorry it's ending tomorrow but at least the main event is starting directly after. Hoping the two lads catfishing as Rachel win, think they're very funny.

Yeah the two lads playing as Rachel are great. Wasn't familiar with either of them beforehand and initally thought they were going to be a pain to watch based on their introduction, but they've been a great comic duo all week.

Already far better than the majority of the celeb series.

Bound to be Gemma² tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Love the new twist, not too confident your one will be able to pull it off, don't think she's devious enough.

And Hunter from Gladiators is more a Celebrity than anyone who was on the Celebrity version, but I'm glad he's doing the regular one anyway... AWOOOGA!

Wanted Sam and Pete to win but when it came down to the last two I wanted Leshurr to do it. Was very involved in the game from the outset, seems like a nice person and had a heartfelt, genuine motivation for taking part. My expectations for the celebrity version were low but I really enjoyed it.

Decent first episode last night, and I thought the twist was very good. Remains to be seen if she'll have to emulate the profile she's copying, i.e if she's decides on Gemma the nurse then she has to play Gemma the nurse, or whether she'll be able to come up with a completely new identity for Gemma. Either way I think it's very interesting and looking forward to seeing how it plays out. Glad she got given a second chance too, think it's too harsh for someone to be blocked after less than a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

My reading of the twist is that she'll have to imitate one of the other contestants with the reward of staying in the game if she successfully convinces the others to keep her over the original. If that's the case though then even if she succeeds there will always be a seed of doubt that she's not legit so it'll be an uphill battle going forward.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Loving the new series, the clone twist was excellent, really ramps up the paranoia in there.

Really hope Penny goes tonight, they're bringing nothing to the game. It's weird how badly they're playing it, almost like they've never seen the show before?

Really like Hashu/Syed as well, think he's doing a really good job. Love him throwing in the random bits of broken English, but interesting to see him already struggling with the morality of it. I think a newcomer might be on to his act pretty quickly though!

So far I'm not really feeling this series so far, albeit still being only three episodes in. So far I think the celebrity one was actually better :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I watched Thursday and Friday nights episodes together tonight. Glad to see Penny go home - they were quite boring and didn't really bring anything to the show. Also happy that the real Tally wasn't blocked. I like Manrika but feel she won't last as too many people see her as a threat. i enjoyed the clone twist to a point but I hope they don't ruin the show with too many twists. Loving it so far.

Both Tally and Manrika are a pain in the hole.

The OTT reactions from people after every conversation is starting to grate - e.g whether it's jumping on couches, running around the room or a simple 3 sentence conversation that practically makes the competitors feel like they're "friends for life".

It's a bit cringe!

Not sure how I feel about the twist. Yes it'll be good to watch but feels like a bit too much meddling with the format.

Think Gemma probably brings more to The Circle but Billy seems like a nice lad so hope he stays, and that Gemma's attempted sabotage blows up in her face!

I like Vithun a lot as a person but I hope he grows a bit throughout the show and moves past the socially awkward self sympathising, as harsh as that sounds. I see from his instagram he's a big tennis fan though, so that's a big plus from me. I think Hashu is my favourite overall so far though.

Funnily enough, I'm actively rooting against "Gemma" now, everyone else has continued to grow on me, whereas I've just cared less and less about James/Gemma - probably because I was excited to see Hunter from Gladiators initially and his gameplay has just been a massive let down. I think he could've done a better job if he had just been himself... The other catfish at least have a bit of personality to their characters, I can't even picture Gemma's profile pic in my mind.

Vithun is my favourite, but actually Tally has really grown on me and would be up there as one of my faves to win too ; couldn't stand her in the beginning but her snarky comments are great. Hashu/Syed is incredibly entertaining, and I'm finding the flirting between Manrika and Natalya/Felix really fun too. Billy and Andy seem sound, they've faded into the background a little, but still happy to see them.

Dot/Scott and James/Gemma are the two I'd be most keen to see the back of at the next two blockings.

• Advertisement

Hunter/Gemma made all sorts of idiotic decisions in that episode.

Sucking up to other contestants during the game showed a completely different side to Gemma, picking the likeable Billy instead of the obvious catfish Dorothy, and then telling Syed and Andy about the "OMG! Catfish" conversation knowing that either of them can potentially bring up this conversation that never took place with Billy directly (knowing he'll deny it but still).

Reckon it's very unlikely Billy will go.

Advertisement