Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 228 SUN. SEP. 9, 2018 WOODLEY VS. TILL

• 07-09-2018 12:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Here it is.

28vyk37.png

People are starting to get excited about this event so here is the thread. Eager to see if Till makes weight. Woodley has a lot of pressure on him after some time off with injuries, and quiet performances in his last few title defenses!

This card actually has some depth to it so really looking forward to a long night of UFC fights.

Share your thoughts below!

Method of Victory 41 votes

Woodley by TKO
    0% 0 votes
    Woodley by Sub
    39% 16 votes
    Woodley by Decision
    0% 0 votes
    Draw
    43% 18 votes
    Till by TKO
    0% 0 votes
    Till by Sub
    17% 7 votes
    Till by Decision
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Am I the only one thinking this is going to be another 5 round staring competition, or tactical striking chess match if you like..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Am I the only one thinking this is going to be another 5 round staring competition, or tactical striking chess match if you like..

Nope, I'm predicting a borefest, hope I'm wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I wonder why they made Woodley and Till the same height on that poster? It's very odd looking, Woodley's forehead is in line with Till's nose in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Gonna go with Till round 2, can't wait for this card there's some really good fights. Rooting for Davis on such short notice against Zabit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Anyone giving montano even a sniff of a chance ?? Cause I'm not .. poor aul Brandon Davis isn't gonna have a good night either I don't think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,925 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I'd imagine quite a few of us are thinking the same...

title stinker fight of the year coming right up imo but you know if till pushes the pace early to tire out woodley for later on then it might be mildly entertaining

I do hope till pushes the pace though as he'll probably need to make
    woodley work and pray woodley hasn't done enough to win the first three rounds

I'm pretty sure I've never wanted a champ to lose this bad in my life...he has it all if he chose to use it which I find very frustrating
    I can see why he does it but god damn it right now watching him fight would put you to sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tinpib

Weigh-ins start at 10am EST according to Ariel Helwani's Twitter, that's 3pm Irish time. He will be covering it and doing commentary. Hope he fills the gaps with lots of trivia about Dallas.

that main card will be muck but I like what they've done in putting the two most exciting fights on paper first before nico and brandon get destroyed and till and woodley put us to sleep.

god help montano and davis

karolina jessica could be a good fight though but for me fight of the night
    on the main card if not the whole card will be price v alhassan
    these two love to bang especially alhassan.
    I do rate niko price quite highly though so he wins this for me.

can't call dodson rivera

miller probably loses which will be 5 straight...will he be cut?

suarez a huge fav v esparza which suprises me a little

always been a lot of hype behind sterling but I'm not a fan myself and think stamann could win by dec

it's been over ten years since diego last got a finish, this should be a close enough match up
    early prelims look good to me

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Nutritionist-Darren-Till-Weighs-178-on-Eve-of-UFC-228-Weighins-142037

so 8lbs over yesterday evening...there's no way he makes weight now
    172 my guess

The reason I posted about the weigh-ins is because of Till and his issues. If that Sherdog article is true then that is shocking.

I also didn't like Till the last time he missed weight, which was his last fight, to paraphrase he said "There is never any excuse for missing weight, but I.....blah blah blah blah" listed out a load of excuses.

If he does miss weight I'm sure Dana will be furious. We will see at 3pm, or more likely 4:45pm or so I suppose.

• Advertisement

mailburner wrote: »
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Nutritionist-Darren-Till-Weighs-178-on-Eve-of-UFC-228-Weighins-142037

172 my guess

Gonna be a vicious cut, I'd say he'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Dana has no right to be furious.
    Till missed by a mile the last time out, squeaked a win on home soil in that fight, and then was given a title shot.
    Hope Till makes it, but hinging a card on his ability to make that weight is bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

172 my guess

8lbs shouldn't be too hard to lose for him in a water cut. He said himself he is leaner now than the Wonderboy fight, carrying less fat and more muscle so he will have more water in his muscle mass to cut this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Whelo79 wrote: »
    8lbs shouldn't be too hard to lose for him in a water cut. He said himself he is leaner now than the Wonderboy fight, carrying less fat and more muscle so he will have more water in his muscle mass to cut this time round.

Yeah thats really nothing to cut provided he isn't too drained already which could be the case. I suspect he will make it but look terrible. A lot of these guys say they are leaner this time etc. when in fact they are just dehydrated and low on calories further out from the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

He makes the 170 I would say. By his interview making weight is his priority. He also had some family issues last weigh in against Thompson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

can't call riveria dodson

Gonna go with Jimmie by decision

Darren Till is on weight, according to multiple sources. Weigh-ins are in less than an hour.
    - Ariel Helwani

Nicco Montaño, the UFC women’s flyweight champion, has been transported to a local hospital, according to multiple sources. There is serious concern about the status of her title fight against Valentina Shevchenko at this time.
    -Ariel Helwani

Poor Valentina...

Call me cynical but that's very convenient for montano.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Porthallian

KingJamsie wrote: »
    Nicco Montaño, the UFC women’s flyweight champion, has been transported to a local hospital, according to multiple sources. There is serious concern about the status of her title fight against Valentina Shevchenko at this time.
    -Ariel Helwani

Poor Valentina...

Kamaru Usman is ready to step in

• Advertisement

Till 169 let's go@

ASOT wrote: »
    Till 169 let's go@

Woodley 170.

Our main event is set :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

KingJamsie wrote: »
    Woodley 170.

Our main event is set :cool:

Woodley weighed at 171 with underwear on. Heavy ass boxers for his massive ass I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

169 the absolute gangster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

D.Q wrote: »

Proving a point I'd say, Dana publicly slated him after missing weight in Liverpool

D.Q wrote: »

Thank Christ for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Porthallian

So Woodley's shorts weighed 1lb and Zabit's only 1/2 lb.

Actually it seems Zabits weight was announced as 146.5lbs but then changed to 146.

Seems like they're just making sh1t up as they go along.

valentina looks so hot :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

ASOT wrote: »
    Call me cynical but that's very convenient for montano.....

Shevchenko been saying all week that she wouldn't show up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

How bad is the sport gone , a fighter celebrates making weight ,

Shevchenko off the card now according to Ariel. She must be furious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

The least anticipated title fight ever falls through. I'm not even remotely disappointed. Zabit co main now?

hope to god they move one of the mens fights onto the main card ahead of suarez and esparza

ideally sterling stamann

nico will have to wait a month or two more to get mauled

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    The least anticipated title fight ever falls through. I'm not even remotely disappointed. Zabit co main now?

karolina jessica imo

much as I want to see valentina win the belt it won't take away from
    the main card in terms of entertainment anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The UFC have had nothing but headaches with the new women's divisions. Two shambolic champions in the Dutch woman who's name I can't even remember and now Montano. She didn't pull out on purpose but jesus this is the last thing they needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,481 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Well to be fair, Nicco was going to end up in hospital this weekend anyway, she just saved Valentina the trouble.

Don’t care what kind of state she’s in, strip her of the title. You can’t hold a division up like that for close to a year and fail to make it into the cage when you finally do have a chance to fight, whatever the reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Woodley with the takedowns followed by a continuous beating for Till once there. Till is over hyped for me, doesn't really finish and I've yet to see him fight a wrestler as good as Woodley.

Woodley by finish at 10/3.

Woodley has hit 5 takedowns in his entire UFC career. A crazy stat. People rightfully point out he's a fantastic wrestler but doesn't use it offensively as much. Till is a good scrambler too.

Fromvert wrote: »
    Woodley with the takedowns followed by a continuous beating for Till once there. Till is over hyped for me, doesn't really finish and I've yet to see him fight a wrestler as good as Woodley.

Woodley by finish at 10/3.

He's landed 5 takedowns in 11 fights in the UFC so it won't be as easy as that in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I only saw snippets of the weigh ins. Who was celebrating making weight and why is it so bad if they do??

• Advertisement

That's the biggest load of sh*te I've ever read.

Firstly, is Till the first fighter to celebrate making weight? No.

For as long as prizefighting has been around the fighters have spoke about how making weight is the fight before the fight. Have you been following any of the pre fight coverage and seen how progressively more drawn out Till has become? He's probably been on a huge calorie deficit for weeks leading up to this, all while training for a world title fight. All anyone's been speaking about in the leadup is "will Till make weight"

Imagine the mindset of someone even preparing for a fight like this and is obviously massive for the weight class. Have you seen the videos from before the wonderboy fight and seen what these guys put themselves through? Of course he celebrated it. Not to mention the financial implications of not making weight. These guys only go to work 2 or 3 times a year and are already grossly underpaid as it is.

hope to god they move one of the mens fights onto the main card ahead of suarez and esparza

ideally sterling stamann

nico will have to wait a month or two more to get mauled

Riveria / Dodson make the jump :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

martyos121 wrote: »
    Well to be fair, Nicco was going to end up in hospital this weekend anyway, she just saved Valentina the trouble.

Best joke in the MMA forum in a long time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ever since he missed weight for the Wonderboy fight, people have commented more on his ability to make weight than his ability to fight. Anything about him has been qualified with "...if he makes weight".

So yeah, having a "shove that up yer bollíx" moment is fair enough.

Disagree. Think all the "if he makes weight" comments were perfectly valid and justified. He fixed his own mistake, not anybody else's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Disagree. Think all the "if he makes weight" comments were perfectly valid and justified. He fixed his own mistake, not anybody else's.

Valid but to a degree. But if I was him, i would have thought it was overplayed...especially when the hanger kicked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Was I the only one sleeping on Magomedsharipov being on this card? Didn't even know about Shevchenko fighting either, UFC certainly must be saving the bucks to push Conor v Khabib somehow with Conor not even wanting to promote. Tyron going to be pi**ed off even more when he beats Till and has a country pub's worth of an audience tuned in.

martyos121 wrote: »

She sure dodged that Bullet... :p
    Six months later, Valentina's last opponent victim (or should that be Mazagatti's) is still not back in full training http://https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/11/17635476/priscila-cachoeira-slowly-returning-training-ufc-fight-december :eek:

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Was I the only one sleeping on Magomedsharipov being on this card?

Was supposed to be fighting Rodriguez don't forget. An infinitely more appealing fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Was I the only one sleeping on Magomedsharipov being on this card?

Was supposed to be fighting Rodriguez don't forget. An infinitely more appealing fight.
    You've reminded me now yes. It feels like only yesterday it was Yair starching BJ Penn and thinking to myself this dude is unstoppable, 18 months ago. He is still only 25 but talk about a loss of wind from the sails in terms of momentum and positive public opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement