Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking someone out on the street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You catch up to talk to people on the street by walking in their direction? Do they speed up?

I am not in the OP's situation. I have the confidence to make conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Discodog wrote: »
    I am not in the OP's situation. I have the confidence to make conversation.

Do they speed up though? I’d say they do.

This isn’t a situation where he’s a captive audience. He isn’t on a bus or at a bus stop or in a queue. It’s therefore not just polite conversation with somebody who is nearby but stopping somebody who is walking past. That’s not very common. Nor is walking up to and then at the same speed as someone for a chat. That’s just weird.

Of course the op believes she’s got signals so it’s a bit different but it’s not normal to stop strangers, just going about their business, for a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OSI wrote: »
    A friend from college tried something like this in the past with a girl he regularly saw on the bus. Stopped her on the street one day, got half a word out before he was punched in the throat. Don't do it OP, throat punches suck!

by who...the girl or jealous boyfriend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭PatM65

Hi op,

Change the time you leave for work so that you meet him much earlier on your walk. When ye meet smile and say "Am I early or are you late?"

This gives him the opportunity to engage in conversation if he's interested while leaving you without a red face if he doesn't respond.

Best of luck with whatever approach you take - but do something. At least then you don't find yourself saying what if down the line.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well maybe start by just giving him a big smile, maybe work it up to a Hi then every morning/evening. Eventually it'll get a little awkward that you keep doing this but not talking properly, but in a cute kind of awkward way, seeing as you said you both find each other attractive, and i wouldn't be surprised if you start a conversation after that happens a few times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I was in instanbul once and fell foul of a scammers trick where a shoe shine guy "accidently" dropped one of his shoe shine brushes and didn't notice, I, being the nice person I am picked it up and ran after him to give it back where he feigned much gratitude and offered to shine my shoes which I declined but he turned fairly aggressive and gave them a shine and demanded money, I only got away from him after a local shouted abuse at him in Turkish and I managed to run away.

Anyway, perhaps you could use a similar, less criminal like tactic. You could have a cardigan draped over your bag which you drop and hopefully he picks it up for you or points it out and there is your opportunity to open lines of communication. That or you lose your cardigan forever and he is just not a nice helpful person or is possibly blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I'm in the same situation, OP, but strongly suspect the girl I've been making eye contact with isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Traffic stoppingly so.. true story

pics please.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Discodog wrote:
    Why have people lost the art of conversation ? Instead of passing him arrange to walk the same way then just start a conversation. Get to know more before you take the plunge.

Because that would be referred to as stalking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Please go for it OP. If you're as much of a fox as you claim he'll be thinking the same thing. Simple as that.

Pulling up a chair here to see how this unfolds. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Your infatuation is based on a physical attraction. Talk to the man... and you’ll realise you have nothing in common.

Plopsu wrote: »
    Because that would be referred to as stalking now.

That was always stalking.

Your infatuation is based on a physical attraction. Talk to the man... and you’ll realise you have nothing in common.

She may realise that. She may not. Depends.

Most attraction is physical, to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Artic Simian

fryup wrote: »
    He definitely checks me out (I'm pretty damn gorgeous) but he's yet to make a move. 

:rolleyes:

you know modesty is an admiral trait to have, maybe he think's you're a big head
    Sarcasm and taking the piss are also admiral traits 8-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you should have typed a wink in after it then ( e.g.;) )

anyway...did you ask him out? or did you chicken out again?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Walk in front of him slightly some day and accidentally on purpose drop some things you're carrying (bag, magazine, bounty bar, whatever) and then proceed to pick them up in an 'I'm such a clumsy sexy clutz' sort of way and if he stops to help, bingo, say thanks, start chatting, ask him if he's single and bish, badda, bosh.... bow chick a wow wow.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you should have typed a wink in after it then ( e.g.;) )

anyway...did you ask him out? or did you chicken out again?
    I couldn't find the wink emoji and heard my boss approaching so used the first one I clicked on... *hangs head in shame*
    I didn't ask him out this morning but I did make eye contact and smiled at him. He smiled back. I know you can't tell what somebody's like based purely on appearance but he looks like my type of guy in so far as how he dresses and holds himself. He wears a parka jacket, always has headphones round his neck, he has long shaggy hair and looks like he could be in a band but i can tell he's wearing a suit underneath. He looks like he's into music and I'd say the minute the working day is done, he throws off his tie, cracks a beer and turns on some sounds. My kind of guy.
    Of course, I could be sorely mistaken. He could be a highly strung accountant breaking peoples balls all day long who goes home and beats his cat. You just never know!

btw - OP are you a woman/girl............or a gay man?

btw - OP are you a woman/girl............or a gay man?
    I'm a girl.. why'd you ask?

just to make it clear

hard to tell with your user-name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭daheff

it'd be funny if he was reading this thread and giving advice on how to break the ice. even funnier if OP used his advice:D

just to make it clear

hard to tell with your user-name
    Ah.. big Artic Monkeys fan, hence the username :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

PatM65 wrote: »
    Hi op,

do something.

This. The biggest problem Irish people have in their dating lives is procrastination. Finding reasons not to approach that person because what would people say. Going online and dealing with the Tinder clusterfcuk and becoming more jaded and discouraged and finding more reasons not to.

Just do something. Hold eye contact and smile slightly. Keep doing it. If he reciprocates, start mouthing "hi" and smile next time. How old are you/is he? There's every chance he's coupled up, particularly if he's a certain age. I'd never approach a guy without some seriously positive reciprocation for that reason. Automatic assumption they're married, as they tend to be at my age.

If you're attractive, it'll be a positive experience even if he is attached. He'll be extremely flattered and gentle in his brush-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sooo, here's the lowdown. Every morning on my way to work I take the same route and I inevitably pass by this ridiculously cute guy. We often make contact but obviously never say anything as we're complete strangers. This has been going on for months now, I also see him on the way home. I've started to daydream about ways of sparking up a conversation with him in the hopes of him asking me out and falling madly in love with me. 
    So far, I've come up with.. giving him a high five as he passes by,  sticking my leg out and purposefully tripping him over then pointing and laughing like a true ledge, jumping out in front of his path saying 'Stop in the name of love!'... real suave or saying 'excuse me, I'm doing a survey on cute guys asking girls out on the street, what are your thoughts on this?'
    I'm a big believer in nothing ventured nothing gained and take life by the balls so I'm not afraid of actually asking him out but is it weird or creepy to stop someone in the street. Obviously, my above methods are not genuine ways but is there a way of doing this? He definitely checks me out (I'm pretty damn gorgeous) but he's yet to make a move. 
    Would you lot ask somebody out in the street, on a bus, anywhere without the crutch of alcohol? If I saw him in a bar I'd climb him like a tree but I obviously can't do that on a busy street... or can i?
    Just keep the eye contact, make sure you're somewhat in the way of whatever line he is walking in, reach out for a handshake or tap him on the shoulder and say "Hi, I'm Artic Simian" (maybe best to use your real name instead :D).

Guys don't get approached often, especially in Ireland in my experience there's still somewhat of a hang up from a lot of women about not wanting to approach a guy they like for whatever reason, and we're especially unused to it in normal settings like on the street. So he'd likely be delighted about that, but don't go overboard and freak him out especially as it's the morning! Just look to see if you can have a basic quick chat and exchange, and look to exchange numbers to grab a coffee together after work some day. No pressure on anyone, no real weight of expectation on yourself if you don't get the answer you want, and if you do - there's a lot less pressure there for some big formal 'date' or whatnot with someone you've barely talked to. You're just grabbing a coffee with them and if things go well, maybe a few drinks after. Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Grab life by the balls, I'd say his.

well OP ???

any update ??

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Process for asking members of the opposite sex out:

(1) Girl asks guy out on date, if he fancies her and is single he will kindly accept her offer.

(2) Guy asks girl out on a date, if she fancies him and is single she may accept his offer, if she does not fancy him he is immediately labeled a "creep".

Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Borrow a cute dog to walk then he might stop and pet it and you can strike up a converstion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Come on OP; out with it. Have you defiled this object of your desires, or what?

Advertisement