Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking someone out on the street

Options
  • 06-09-2018 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Sooo, here's the lowdown. Every morning on my way to work I take the same route and I inevitably pass by this ridiculously cute guy. We often make contact but obviously never say anything as we're complete strangers. This has been going on for months now, I also see him on the way home. I've started to daydream about ways of sparking up a conversation with him in the hopes of him asking me out and falling madly in love with me. 
    So far, I've come up with.. giving him a high five as he passes by,  sticking my leg out and purposefully tripping him over then pointing and laughing like a true ledge, jumping out in front of his path saying 'Stop in the name of love!'... real suave or saying 'excuse me, I'm doing a survey on cute guys asking girls out on the street, what are your thoughts on this?'
    I'm a big believer in nothing ventured nothing gained and take life by the balls so I'm not afraid of actually asking him out but is it weird or creepy to stop someone in the street. Obviously, my above methods are not genuine ways but is there a way of doing this? He definitely checks me out (I'm pretty damn gorgeous) but he's yet to make a move. 
    Would you lot ask somebody out in the street, on a bus, anywhere without the crutch of alcohol? If I saw him in a bar I'd climb him like a tree but I obviously can't do that on a busy street... or can i?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Strange man whoever you are - RUN FAR AND RUN FAST!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Stop string at me on the street weirdo.
    Plus if you trip me up, i'll knock you the fúck out!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Go for it. If he rejects just find another route to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Artic Simian

rizzodun wrote: »
    Go for it. If he rejects just find another route to work.
    My thoughts exactly.. I'd love if someone asked me out on my way to work, it's flattering if nothing else, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

My thoughts exactly.. I'd love if someone asked me out on my way to work, it's flattering if nothing else, no?

Are you on the way to work now? Fancy a drink sometime?

There, feel better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Sooo, here's the lowdown. Every morning on my way to work I take the same route and I inevitably pass by this ridiculously cute guy. We often make contact but obviously never say anything as we're complete strangers. This has been going on for months now, I also see him on the way home. I've started to daydream about ways of sparking up a conversation with him in the hopes of him asking me out and falling madly in love with me. 
    So far, I've come up with.. giving him a high five as he passes by,  sticking my leg out and purposefully tripping him over then pointing and laughing like a true ledge, jumping out in front of his path saying 'Stop in the name of love!'... real suave or saying 'excuse me, I'm doing a survey on cute guys asking girls out on the street, what are your thoughts on this?'
    I'm a big believer in nothing ventured nothing gained and take life by the balls so I'm not afraid of actually asking him out but is it weird or creepy to stop someone in the street. Obviously, my above methods are not genuine ways but is there a way of doing this? He definitely checks me out (I'm pretty damn gorgeous) but he's yet to make a move. 
    Would you lot ask somebody out in the street, on a bus, anywhere without the crutch of alcohol? If I saw him in a bar I'd climb him like a tree but I obviously can't do that on a busy street... or can i?

You'd climb him like a tree? I'd prefer a sober girl to ask me out on the street than a drunk one sticking her heels into my knees as she makes a final push for the summit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Go for it. Life's too short....
    Just happen to be opening a packet of sweets or bubble gum walking towards him and offer him one.. you have to time it right though. Too far and you look stupid holding out sweets walking towards him.. like a child snatcher... Too close and you look like a savage wolfing in to them.. or you could just she your tic tacs at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

You've developed a relationship with an imaginary person you've superimposed on someone you don't know. This might confuse you when he is unlikely to happen to be like the imaginary person. By all means try to refoncile your idea of him with reality and actually talk to him, but don't confuse the two.

...incidentally the approaches you descrube above would have caused me personally to move swiftly on, no matter how good looking you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Start with the usual "Morning " then "Morning, sh1t/great weather, isn't it?'
    Depending on response to the above move on to "How are you ? " If he's interested he'll respond with a bit of chat and you can take it from there. If not, move on. Seriously, do NOT just make a move on your morning commute, unless you live in the States, that is.

My above ideas were just me joking, as if I'd trip up a total stranger in the street!! I've had guys ask me out in cafes before by slipping their number across and while I didn't call them for whatever reason at the time, it's a nice thing to happen if it's not done sleazily!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Isn't it an empowerment to go after what you want?
    He might be grateful you made the first move.

Here's what his brain is thinking in the split second he passes you.

"There she is again, bloody hell she's gorgeous. You should get her number! Yeah you should but wait a second, if you stop her she'll just think you're a creep or a weirdo for engaging with her, she'll probably say no anyway and you'll just look like a complete fool and feel like a dope for even asking"

*walks past you while checking you out as he passes you by, dreaming of what could be*

Next time you see him, make eye contact, smile and stop walking. He'll check up and then you say "Sorry to bother you but a drink sometime would be lovely", say no more and walk breezily away with a smile. You've let him know you fancy him and the next time you see each other just say hello.

It's win-win for you.

If he is single and interested he will ask you out and feel like "da man".
    If he is single and interested and doesn't ask you out, he is an idiot.
    If he's taken and not interested, you can just continue to say your morning hello's.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yeah I don't see what's wrong with it, same as someone asking for a number in a shop or pub really, you just happen to be indoors on those occasions.

The approach is what makes it though. I don't think I've ever seen anything as creepy as the lads on the French Underground particularly at Gare du Nord trying to pick up girls.
    The cringe was horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what is he doing when you pass him. working , walking to work, waiting fo a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Koolhanger

My above ideas were just me joking, as if I'd trip up a total stranger in the street!! I've had guys ask me out in cafes before by slipping their number across and while I didn't call them for whatever reason at the time, it's a nice thing to happen if it's not done sleazily!

Agreed. It wouldn't freak me out if I was asked. I'd just be flattered. I say go for it.

Can't believe you had to highlight that your original 'ideas' were jokes, for some readers :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I talked to a stranger one day by saving her life. Maybe you can just tug his coat before he crosses the street and point out he was about to get hit by a car. He'll thank you and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

what is he doing when you pass him. working , walking to work, waiting fo a bus.

Kicking dogs and yelling at children.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

This is what I would do. Catch his eye. Hold the look a bit longer than you would if he were an ordinary stranger, and maybe a shadow of a smile. That will pique his interest. Next time you see him, catch his eye and really smile. Do that a couple of times. You will soon know if he has a shred of interest in you. I would test the water like that before running the risk of being shot down in flames in the street and having to recalculate your route to work. The very best of luck.....If it's for you, it won't pass you....(notwithstanding the fact that he passes you twice a day....:D:D:D

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Koolhanger wrote: »

Agreed. It wouldn't freak me out if I was asked. I'd just be flattered. I say go for it.

Can't believe you had to highlight that your original 'ideas' were jokes, for some readers :rolleyes:
    Haha I know!! Like I'd leap out in front of someone singing stop in the name of love and expect them to go, oh hello, how about we get it on!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Leave earlier and earlier every day. Meet him earlier and earlier on his commute.

Eventually using this method you'll find out where he lives.

Take this to its logical conclusion - if you leave early enough you'll end up in his bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

That's cool and all but are you good looking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Koolhanger

Haha I know!! Like I'd leap out in front of someone singing stop in the name of love and expect them to go, oh hello, how about we get it on!! :)

Although... maybe, just maybe... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It’s pretty easy.

“How much for half an hour?”

Thank me later. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

i'm kinda in the same senario as the OP.....there's this cute check-out girl in my local supermarket, she keeps giving me the "glad eyes" i don't whether to ask her out at the checkout or wait till i see her walking around town..which is the better scenario ?

Pyr0 wrote: »

That's cool and all but are you good looking?
    Traffic stoppingly so.. true story

frosty123 wrote: »
    i'm kinda in the same senario as the OP.....there's this cute check-out girl in my local supermarket, she keeps giving me the "glad eyes" i don't whether to ask her out at the checkout or wait till i see her walking around town..which is the better scenario ?
    That's easy... go up to the till with a tub of vaseline, a box of condoms and a mens health magazine. Slip a twenty across the counter and say 'keep the change ya filthy animal'. She'll be tripping over herself to get to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

As you pass him, stop and say "excuse me do you have the time?" 
    When he tries to tell you the time say "sorry, I meant, do you have the time to grab a coffee or drink with me sometime?"

OP, just stop him and say "hi". It's not rocket science. Most people react well to honest compliments and get his details so that you can arrange for a coffee later. Since you're both probably busy, don't try to hold his attention immediately.. and you can chat by phone/IM until you arrange to meet later. Just convert to meeting quickly, and avoid the temptation to keep it to online messaging..

Also, don't make up the story before it happens, creating a fantasy. Right now, you only know him to be cute. He could be gay, married or a total muppet. Aim for a coffee date to find out more.

Women asking guys out should be encouraged. Maybe that way they'll understand the pressures/risks involved, and become more sympathetic/informed to the realities of dating.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Start off with saying Hi. See how he responds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Traffic stoppingly so.. true story

It doesn't count when you walk out in front of the traffic! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The creepiness is inversely proportional to how good-looking you are.

Advertisement