Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking someone out on the street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

OP , find out if he has a dog.
    If he does and walks it regularly , it means he's an animal lover, is active and picks up **** on the street

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Traffic stoppingly so.. true story

Photo or GTFO After Hours LMAO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

Whenever I get asked out in a place that could get mugged I tend to get spooked

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

frosty123 wrote: »
    i'm kinda in the same senario as the OP.....there's this cute check-out girl in my local supermarket, she keeps giving me the "glad eyes" i don't whether to ask her out at the checkout or wait till i see her walking around town..which is the better scenario ?

They're both not great scenarios!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

In the #metoo era we're supposed to believe that sexual advances have to be limited to a fairly restricted set of acceptable circumstances - location, professional / authoritative relationship to one's crush, telepathy, etc. Personally I regard all that as total bullsh!t - an initial advance can't be considered harassment regardless of its setting, only a persistent advance following a rejection.

I'm very libertarian when it comes to sex so I wouldn't suggest that my opinion is widely held, but in my view just go for it. Best case scenario you get a date, medium case scenario you get rejected but gently, worst case scenario the guy is an SJW type who unloads on you for not acting like we're living in the Victorian era.

In my view that worst case scenario has a silver lining in that it'd probably make an at least semi-amusing story to share with your mates over a few drinks at the weekend.

Go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

You've developed a relationship with an imaginary person you've superimposed on someone you don't know. This might confuse you when he is unlikely to happen to be like the imaginary person. By all means try to refoncile your idea of him with reality and actually talk to him, but don't confuse the two.

...incidentally the approaches you descrube above would have caused me personally to move swiftly on, no matter how good looking you were.

Appropriate username.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The creepiness is inversely proportional to how good-looking you are.

The Creep/Cute Scale.

Hunk stops to ask for number = How Cute! Just like in the movies!
    Not-a-Hunk stops to ask for number = OMG! What a ****ing Creep!!!

Is it any wonder dating sites are as popular as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Sooooo, you pass this guy twice a day and haven't managed to spark up an escalating conversation? Cause that a lot of opportunity right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Success in this won't rely so much on what you say, as what you're wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Sooo, here's the lowdown. Every morning on my way to work I take the same route and I inevitably pass by this ridiculously cute guy. We often make contact but obviously never say anything as we're complete strangers. This has been going on for months now, I also see him on the way home. I've started to daydream about ways of sparking up a conversation with him in the hopes of him asking me out and falling madly in love with me. 
    So far, I've come up with.. giving him a high five as he passes by,  sticking my leg out and purposefully tripping him over then pointing and laughing like a true ledge, jumping out in front of his path saying 'Stop in the name of love!'... real suave or saying 'excuse me, I'm doing a survey on cute guys asking girls out on the street, what are your thoughts on this?'
    I'm a big believer in nothing ventured nothing gained and take life by the balls so I'm not afraid of actually asking him out but is it weird or creepy to stop someone in the street. Obviously, my above methods are not genuine ways but is there a way of doing this? He definitely checks me out (I'm pretty damn gorgeous) but he's yet to make a move. 
    Would you lot ask somebody out in the street, on a bus, anywhere without the crutch of alcohol? If I saw him in a bar I'd climb him like a tree but I obviously can't do that on a busy street... or can i?

Ask him the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I'd say go for it. Regrets aren't good. I used to be in love with a girl who worked on the deli in Centra in Swords. She was around 23, beautiful and very nice to me.

I was morbidly obese at the time, and when you're morbidly obese then you will read it as love if the opposite sex and a stranger is nice to you. This is because strangers aren't very nice to you when you're that size; doors don't get held open for you at the bank, nobody smiles at you, people in cars turn their heads 90 degrees to gawk at you. Remember that creepy audience member in The Late Late Show one time, who turned his head at the camera randomly? That's what it was like, the people in cars.

What were we talking about? Ah yes, the love of my life.

This one time, she gave me a few extra sausage rolls - probably 10 for the price of seven or something because, as I said, I was fat - and I was like, 'Ugh, have my babies'.

Anywho, I lost a fair amount of weight and hadn't seen her since. I always fantasised about asking her out. Not that I ever would've done it because, you know, I was pretty low on confidence, but I always wondered what her answer would be.

Anywho, I wound up moving out of the area and losing a fair amount of weight, to the point where I was getting a lot more female attention during nights out and stuff. Being honest, I actually turned into a bit of a ride I think. I rediscovered a jaw and a few inches of penis that I thought were lost to obesity forever. It's about six months after last seeing her, and I'm back in Swords. 'Hmm, she might say yes if I ask her out now you know,' I think to myself.

With my new jaw and new willy I return to Centra. I run through the sliding doors before they open. I jump over the counter. I pull her by the apron and say, 'Thanks for being sound to me when I was a fat c*nt'. I then kiss her and carry her to the back seat of the Punto where we make love until Monday. That's what was going to happen in my head anyway.

What really happened is she wasn't there. It wouldn't have been her day off because she only worked weekends I think, so I imagine she simply completed college and got a real job or something. Dunno. I still think about her. I often fantasise about bumping into her in town or something, on a night out. I'm not as ridey anymore because I've since gained a few stone back, but still nowhere near as big as I was, so I might still ask her if that does happen. She isn't quite the one that got away, because she'd ring the guards on me if she saw any of this, but she's the one that could've been.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sorry, I'm already married.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Traffic stoppingly so.. true story

Pictures or it's not true :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

I was once handed a business card in New York city by someone walking by. It had "You caught my eye" written on it. I think the idea was to pass it on to someone else.

If you think he sees you everyday too, you could do the same. Have a little note with "You caught my eye" with your first name and your mobile number written underneath it. Worst case scenario is you give a guy a compliment.

But if he contacts you, make sure and go through the "he's not an axe wielding maniac" checklist before going home with him. Just in case you have a Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks type story going back and forth in your head.

Actually the worst case scenario is that he's an axe wielding maniac.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

You've developed a relationship with an imaginary person you've superimposed on someone you don't know. This might confuse you when he is unlikely to happen to be like the imaginary person. By all means try to refoncile your idea of him with reality and actually talk to him, but don't confuse the two.

...incidentally the approaches you descrube above would have caused me personally to move swiftly on, no matter how good looking you were.

I’d say you’re fun at funerals .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Why is this so complicated? Just say "hi, how are you?" next time you walk by with a big smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

CPTM wrote: »
    I was once handed a business card in New York city by someone walking by. It had "You caught my eye" written on it. I think the idea was to pass it on to someone else.

If you think he sees you everyday too, you could do the same. Have a little note with "You caught my eye" with your first name and your mobile number written underneath it. Worst case scenario is you give a guy a compliment.

But if he contacts you, make sure and go through the "he's not an axe wielding maniac" checklist before going home with him. Just in case you have a Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks type story going back and forth in your head.

Actually the worst case scenario is that he's an axe wielding maniac.

Was it a fish?

"And quick as a flash, Stew..... Tom O'Connor says, Are you a sardine?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I wouldn't bother with a date, just tell him to give you a quick rattle down a lane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

drop your phone on the ground as he walks past. Let him pick it up for you. When he does say to him "as you've got my phone, you might as well give me your number"

take it from there.

if he doesnt pick up your phone for you then hes not worth talking too. (or if he picks it up and runs away with it either!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I wouldn't bother with a date, just tell him to give you a quick rattle down a lane

Is she a spray can or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Katgurl wrote: »
    Why is this so complicated? Just say "hi, how are you?" next time you walk by with a big smile.

A cute girl did this to me once on the street.

I was really flattered if a bit flustered, I stopped to chat with her. Turned out she was wearing one of those earpiece thingies and was on the phone to her friend.

She gave me one of those ‘get away from me weirdo’ looks and I swiftly started walking again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

daheff wrote: »
    drop your phone on the ground as he walks past. Let him pick it up for you. When he does say to him "as you've got my phone, you might as well give me your number"

take it from there.

if he doesnt pick up your phone for you then hes not worth talking too. (or if he picks it up and runs away with it either!)

Good idea but maybe a cheap phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

He definitely checks me out (I'm pretty damn gorgeous) but he's yet to make a move. 

:rolleyes:

you know modesty is an admiral trait to have, maybe he think's you're a big head

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Why have people lost the art of conversation ? Instead of passing him arrange to walk the same way then just start a conversation. Get to know more before you take the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Ask him for help loading an armchair into your old van, he’ll be yours forever after you bop him over the head with your arm in a cast.

Discodog wrote: »
    Why have people lost the art of conversation ? Instead of passing him arrange to walk the same way then just start a conversation. Get to know more before you take the plunge.

That’s literally taking the plunge.

fryup wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

you know modesty is an admiral trait to have, maybe he think's you're a big head

Maybe she is drop dead gorgeous. Assuming she is then he may be less likely to approach as all but the most confident guys leave the top lookers alone. So it’s up to you, op.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That’s literally taking the plunge.

I talk to strangers. 99% of people are pleasant. It used to be the norm until people started isolating themselves with tech

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Using myself as an example, I'd recommend sparking up a conversation, subtlety can be lost of most lads.

Just today I was standing in a park beside a friend who was on the phone, noticed a cute girl walking by looking over at us, the second we made eye contact she smiled and waved over, a bit shocked I gave back an odd head nod and finger point wave.

Friend noticed beside me and started pissing himself laughing. Maybe she mistook me for someone else, maybe she was trying to spark up a conversation, I have no idea.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    I talk to strangers. 99% of people are pleasant. It used to be the norm until people started isolating themselves with tech

You catch up to talk to people on the street by walking in their direction? Do they speed up?

Advertisement