Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abolish the Dole

Options

Comments

I don't think it's them. They are the ones paying out 20 billion of taxpayers money a year in Social Welfare.

Which one then? I don't pay much attention to Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Which one then? I don't pay much attention to Irish politics.

None of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

None of them.

FG pushed a "welfare fraud" cheats us all campaign

not "welfare."

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

My OH has recently had to sign on after being made redundant. He has no plan to stay sitting on it for long; he already has interviews lined up.

You think he should be made "exist" on food stamps for the foreseeable? Why? He's paid into the system since he was 16. Why would you want to make him suffer even more than he already is? He wants to work. He likes work.

A better system would be:

If lost job then for 6 months dole should be 75% of what you earned in the job.

6 months onward reduce to 50%

9 months onward reduce to 25%

12 months or more drop to the standard which should be no more than €150

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Try_harder wrote: »
    Indefinitely or for how long?

Sliding scale. After 6 months back to normal rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

OP, if on your P60 is any less that 150K you will not fare better in the US, so stop whinging.

Captcha wrote: »
    My OH has recently had to sign on after being made redundant. He has no plan to stay sitting on it for long; he already has interviews lined up.

You think he should be made "exist" on food stamps for the foreseeable? Why? He's paid into the system since he was 16. Why would you want to make him suffer even more than he already is? He wants to work. He likes work.

A better system would be:

If lost job then for 6 months dole should be 75% of what you earned in the job.

6 months onward reduce to 50%

9 months onward reduce to 25%

12 months or more drop to the standard which should be no more than €150
    The system is already a bit like this afaik. If a person has been in a job for so many years, and has paid their 'stamps', then they will be entitled to a tax rebate on-top of their dole payment. In some cases this will bring the person's weekly dole payment up to almost what they were receiving in wages while they were working. 

How long this lasts depends on how long they have been paying stamps while they were working.

Eventually it drops down to the basic dole payment of  €188  (?)

I see both sides to the argument on this subject. I think that the dole should not be indefinite. I know people who have been signing on for the last 25+ years. It is a disincentive for some people to try and better themselves.

Also, the welfare system is being scammed left, right and centre in Ireland.

Also, the welfare system is being scammed left, right and centre in Ireland.

According to news reports at the time of the controversy about the fraud campaign it is about 2%. 0.6% deliberate fraud and 1.4% due to Dept SW errors. I think you make it sound much larger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

According to news reports at the time of the controversy about the fraud campaign it is about 2%. 0.6% deliberate fraud and 1.4% due to Dept SW errors. I think you make it sound much larger.

That’s people who were only caught!!

Wake up and don’t be so naive.

That’s people who were only caught!!

Wake up and don’t be so naive.

Report the ones you know are doing it. Lots of people are reporting them.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2017-05-02a.1437

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Fine Gael? Was it them and Varadker pushing that welfare cheats us all thing?

I don't think it's them. They are the ones paying out 20 billion of taxpayers money a year in Social Welfare.
    OK

€20 million social welfare does NOT mean €20 million in dole

It is not entirely made up from General Taxation. We have a 2 strand system. Some payments are funded out of PRSI contributions. Any State payment classed as "benefit" is funded by this source, eg. Unemployment Benefit, Disability Benefit, Carers Benefit etc. Also the Contributory State Pension. Contingency for eligibility is dependent on the number of continual PRSI contributions made over a set period. The number and period can change depending on the Government of the day.

Any payment classed as "Allowance" is funded through General Taxation eg, Jobseekers Allowance, Carers Allowance Disability Allowance etc. Contingency for eligibility is determined through a Means Test at a minimum and other strict conditions for payments such as Carers. The amount of means you are allowed and other conditions are also subject to change dependent on current Government policy.

Other welfare payments funded through General Taxation also include Child Benefit (the only "benefit" to be funded this way) and FIS.

So pretty much everybody in the country recieves, has received or will receive some of that €20 million whether that's through Child Benefit or their Old Age Pension.

What do you think of thone working and claiming FIS who can fritter up to €200 a month on fags and booze? I know a few like this and they're the first to start on the moan about how their tax is funding welfare scroungers but they are essentially using the state to make up the shortfall for utilities etc that they could well afford if they didn't pish they're money away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Sardonicat wrote: »
    OK

It is not entirely made up from General Taxation. We have a 2 strand system. Some payments are funded out of PRSI contributions. Any State payment classed as "benefit" is funded by this source, eg. Unemployment Benefit, Disability Benefit, Carers Benefit etc. Also the Contributory State Pension. Contingency for eligibility is dependent on the number of continual PRSI contributions made over a set period. The number and period can change depending on the Government of the day.

Any payment classed as "Allowance" is funded through General Taxation eg, Jobseekers Allowance, Carers Allowance Disability Allowance etc. Contingency for eligibility is determined through a Means Test at a minimum and other strict conditions for payments such as Carers. The amount of means you are allowed and other conditions are also subject to change dependent on current Government policy.

Other welfare payments funded through General Taxation also include Child Benefit (the only "benefit" to be funded this way) and FIS.

So pretty much everybody in the country recieves, has received or will receive some of that €20 million whether that's through Child Benefit or their Old Age Pension.

What do you think of thone working and claiming FIS who can fritter up to €200 a month on fags and booze? I know a few like this and they're the first to start on the moan about how their tax is funding welfare scroungers but they are essentially using the state to make up the shortfall for utilities etc that they could well afford if they didn't pish they're money away.

Billion not million!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

The system is already a bit like this afaik. If a person has been in a job for so many years, and has paid their 'stamps', then they will be entitled to a tax rebate on-top of their dole payment. In some cases this will bring the person's weekly dole payment up to almost what they were receiving in wages while they were working. 

That may be, but my OH has gone from earning approx 750 a week to 198 a week. He didn't get anything from his job as he was only with them 9months so no statutory redundancy pay for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

OK

Billion not million!!!
    Seriously, that's what you took from my post?A smart phone typo ?
    Embrace that rage, friend. It won't keep you warm at night but it's clearly all you've got.

Embrace that rage, friend. It won't keep you warm at night but it's clearly all you've got.

And you somehow took from my post that 20 billion Social Welfare equals all dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

I believe the Irish government should cut social welfare payments drastically and implement a food stamp program similar to the one currently running in the USA. This would allow the government to free up cash to reduce borrowing and reduce the tax burden on the middle classes. It sickens me that people like Margaret Cash have the money for Sky digital subscriptions, shopping trips to Newry and computers with internet connections to post their drivel on Facebook. It has got to the stage were these people genuinely believe they deserve a reasonable middle-ish class lifestyle at the expense of the state. This may seem harsh to some but it is only fair that people that don't work live in abject poverty and are subjected to all the ills that such a lifestyle predisposes them to. I feel genuine rage that I am paying for other people's way through life; it makes me feel genuinely ill. At the moment the only viable alternative is to move to the US, a country where hard work is rewarded and the likes of Margaret Cash are left were they belong - in the gutter.

Here here, well said

Old joke:
    what is green and you can drink it in half an hour?
    Northern Ireland dole giro.

A very close knit community where everyone knows everyone's business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Finally! A dole thread. I thought I'd never see one here.

460485.jpg

That would be the biggest downside of abolition. No more dole threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I wouldn't bother. People always point this out in the weekly dole thread but no matter what people keep coming back ranting about how their 20 billion in tax money is going to the unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

That would be the biggest downside of abolition. No more dole threads.

Indeed, where would all that pent up rage find a home ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I don't have any issue with social welfare payments being made to those who can't look after themselves even if there are some fraudulent claims in there. These would amount to far less to money lost in tax evasion for example.

I think it's a great credit to the country. Compare that to the US where going sick can make you bankkrupt. Horrific and completely unjustified in a wealthy country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

How long this lasts depends on how long they have been paying stamps while they were working.

Eventually it drops down to the basic dole payment of  €188  (?)

Jobseekers Benefit or Assistance has not been pay related in a long time.

A person who is made unemployed and has sufficient social insurance (stamps) paid qualifies for a non-means tested Jobseekers Benefit payment for up to 9 months.

If the person does not have sufficient social insurance payments or has reached the end if the 9 months Jobseekers Benefit payment they are eligible to be assessed for a means tested Jobseekers Assistance payment. The household income is taken into account in assessing the eligibility and amount of Jobseekers Assistance.

Any potential refund of tax overpaid is separate to Jobseekers Benefit /Assistance payment and is a result of applying the full years tax allowances to the part of the year the person was paid. It can only be claimed for the relevant tax year. If a person became unemployed towards the end of the year there would be little tax overpayment to be reclaimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Food stamp program in the US is a disaster.

Millions are homeless, crime even in rural communities is rife.

Do we want this in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Food stamps is a horrible idea, you think the homeless situation is bad now?

You'd literally turn the most disadvantaged areas into Ghettos overnight. Crime would go through the roof.

Yes the SW system is perceived as generous and it's been abused but America's system is nothing to be aspiring to. The poor and rich divide is colossal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

rob316 wrote: »
    Food stamps is a horrible idea, you think the homeless situation is bad now?

You'd literally turn the most disadvantaged areas into Ghettos overnight. Crime would go through the roof.

Yes the SW system is perceived as generous and it's been abused but America's system is nothing to be aspiring to. The poor and rich divide is colossal.

Everyone thinks they'd be one of the rich. Yet strangely they're not rich now. Must be all those scroungers holding them back somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I don't pay much attention to Irish politics.

That’s blatantly obvious, by the look of some of your posts

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This thread was bound to happen - because everyone on social welfare is a dirty scrounger sponging off us good decent hard working taxpayers, like ya know....

FFS!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

JupiterKid wrote: »
    This thread was bound to happen - because everyone on social welfare is a dirty scrounger sponging off us good decent hard working taxpayers, like ya know....

FFS!! :rolleyes:

There’s a thread like this at least twice a day on after hours

Advertisement