Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abolish the Dole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Gonad wrote: »
    You know that type of thinking is exactly what the elite want you to think . Blame Margaret Cash for all the problems in the country . I actually thought it was strange the amount of publicity her plight was given and when you see posts like yours it’s obvious why they allowed her so much airtime.

But they wouldn’t actually give the many many genuine homeless people that kind of publicity.

And then get someone to sign up on boards.ie and start a thread about how pissed off you are and get some good rabble going. Don't even wait to see what happens or bother going back to read the responces. Get in, post, get out.
    Job done by them I guess .

It is now.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Try_harder wrote: »
    That one had my % quote

Yes but did you read my last post I'm talking about the TOTAL amount a high income worker contributes compared to someone on the dole not percentages of income. A high income earner is always going to be contributing more IN TOTAL compared to people on the dole. That is indisputable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Yes but did you read my last post I'm talking about the TOTAL amount a high income worker contributes compared to someone on the dole not percentages of income. A high income earner is always going to be contributing more IN TOTAL compared to people on the dole. That is indisputable.

Not always. He could live frugally and ship it all to his Cayman Islands savings

Its a poor rerturn when you have to use totals to enhance rich people’s contribution to the local economy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Ahhhh anothet day another dole bashing thread

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

I think politicians wages pensions and expenses should be cut.

• Advertisement

Ahhhh anothet day another dole bashing thread

I usually ignore them but I was bored tonight

Not always. He could live frugally and ship it all to his Cayman Islands savings

Its a poor rerturn when you have to use totals to enhance rich people’s contribution to the local economy

Not in this day and age Revenue will know how much he is earning and he will then be taxed accordingly he will still end up contributing more in total compared to some one on the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I believe the Irish government should cut social welfare payments drastically and implement a food stamp program similar to the one currently running in the USA. This would allow the government to free up cash to reduce borrowing and reduce the tax burden on the middle classes. It sickens me that people like Margaret Cash have the money for Sky digital subscriptions, shopping trips to Newry and computers with internet connections to post their drivel on Facebook. It has got to the stage were these people genuinely believe they deserve a reasonable middle-ish class lifestyle at the expense of the state. This may seem harsh to some but it is only fair that people that don't work live in abject poverty and are subjected to all the ills that such a lifestyle predisposes them to. I feel genuine rage that I am paying for other people's way through life; it makes me feel genuinely ill. At the moment the only viable alternative is to move to the US, a country where hard work is rewarded and the likes of Margaret Cash are left were they belong - in the gutter.

Her lifestyle is as far from middle class as you can get

Not in this day and age Revenue will know how much he is earning and he will then be taxed accordingly he will still end up contributing more in total compared to some one on the dole

What if hes resident in Malta?

So sky digital, internet and shopping trips to Newry makes one middle class?

Jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What do you think of the proposal to have workers contribute to a stand alone scheme to pay for their future pensions. A separate contribution extra to income tax and PRSI? That would be a solution since your are so interested.

I paid into my own pension for almost 50 years. I'm still working and still paying all my taxes too.
    How many years have you been paying towards yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

So sky digital, internet and shopping trips to Newry makes one middle class?

Jaysus

She’s pulling in 50k a year for doing nothing on top of a free house.

She’s actually richer than 90% of the population!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Feeling genuine rage too point of illness?

That's not right. I wonder do these people who want to abolish the dole realise how much they would be spending in personal security if it was gone.

She’s pulling in 50k a year for doing nothing on top of a free house.

She’s actually richer than 90% of the population!!!

she doesn't have a free house afaik, her fella did but he was released last week!

11 people on 50K is 4.5K pp

I win!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I believe the Irish government should cut social welfare payments drastically and implement a food stamp program similar to the one currently running in the USA. This would allow the government to free up cash to reduce borrowing and reduce the tax burden on the middle classes. It sickens me that people like Margaret Cash have the money for Sky digital subscriptions, shopping trips to Newry and computers with internet connections to post their drivel on Facebook. It has got to the stage were these people genuinely believe they deserve a reasonable middle-ish class lifestyle at the expense of the state. This may seem harsh to some but it is only fair that people that don't work live in abject poverty and are subjected to all the ills that such a lifestyle predisposes them to. I feel genuine rage that I am paying for other people's way through life; it makes me feel genuinely ill. At the moment the only viable alternative is to move to the US, a country where hard work is rewarded and the likes of Margaret Cash are left were they belong - in the gutter.

Why not cut politicians ridiculous salaries instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

she doesn't have a free house afaik, her fella did but he was released last week!

I win!

She’ll get her free forever home believe me.

You win what??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Strazdas wrote: »
    It's a myth that people on the dole have an easy time and it's a lifestyle choice. Social Protection, Intreo, Seetec and the rest are very proactive and tens of thousands of people have had their money cut or suspended for not engaging with the system.

The hilarious thing about JobPath is that the only people who gain jobs as a direct result of it are the employees of Seetec and Turas Nua - they also get a bonus if their 'client' finds a job (with or without their help).

I had to sign on the dole after finishing college, and was referred to Turas Nua. It ended up almost being an impediment to finding work. I had to reschedule three appointments with my 'advisor' (a very nice man, but with zero qualifications for the job - he could barely use a computer) at short notice because of clashes with interviews. As a result, my payment got cut and it took a lot of effort to eventually get it reinstated. Luckily one of those interviews was successful, but it was very much despite 'JobPath', not because of it. I like a quiet life, so I'll probably just allow them to take credit for it and receive their undeserved bonus. They'll keep hounding me for my employer's details otherwise.

The exact same could be said when you choose to use percentages to enhance dole recipients contribution to the local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This is where all these arguments for employers to pay a "living wage" fall down. One employee could be living with their parents rent free, 5 minutes from the workplace. Their colleague doing the same job could have to travel 50 miles to get to work. And have a spouse and 4 children to support, as well as paying €700 a month mortgage.

How is the employer supposed to pay a living wage to both?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I was in San Fran and it was disgusting to see abject poverty and extreme wealth everywhere. People abandoned left to live on the streets and beg, is that a society we want?

Apparently the op does,

Maybe we should copy the US and their insane basket case of a health system too? Who wouldn't like to pay around a thousand euro plus in the ER to get a broken arm fixed?

I'll go with the HSE any day over the US system, it's not perfect but at least I won't have to remortgage my house to pay for treatment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Cabaal wrote:
    Maybe we should copy the US and their insane basket case of a health system too? Who wouldn't like to pay around a thousand euro plus in the ER to get a broken arm fixed?

Light weights, we should also encourage heavily arming our citizens, increase their stresses by all means, and see what happens, this should keep everyone in check

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the SW system is the mechanism by which folks like my wife and I pay folks like Ms Cash to have the children that we can't afford to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Why not cut politicians ridiculous salaries instead?

Because that wouldn’t make even a tiny dent in the overall government spend. Health and Social Welfare are the two biggest budget spends iirc

the SW system is the mechanism by which folks like my wife and I pay folks like Ms Cash to have the children that we can't afford to have.

Strangely enough, it might just keep you and your wife alive if anything should happen to either of you preventing either of you working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

This is where all these arguments for employers to pay a "living wage" fall down. One employee could be living with their parents rent free, 5 minutes from the workplace. Their colleague doing the same job could have to travel 50 miles to get to work. And have a spouse and 4 children to support, as well as paying €700 a month mortgage.

How is the employer supposed to pay a living wage to both?

It’s a universal payment, just like Child Benefit. Even Michael O’Leary is entitled to it.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Strangely enough, it might just keep you and your wife alive if anything should happen to either of you preventing either of you working

yes indeed. I ended up on the dole for a few months back in '08. Took the first minimum wage job I could get and went from there, perhaps I should have stayed on it.

yes indeed. I ended up on the dole for a few months back in '08. Took the first minimum wage job I could get and went from there, perhaps I should have stayed on it.

strangely enough, it can be a better option for some, sometimes

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    strangely enough, it can be a better option for some, sometimes
    yes and that is problematic.

yes and that is problematic.

true, when critical systems are not resourced enough to deal with complex social issues, it most certainly can be very problematic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I feel genuine rage that I am paying for other people's way through life; it makes me feel genuinely ill.

If this is the case, I genuinely believe you should seek professional help.

Advertisement