Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abolish the Dole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    true, when critical systems are not resourced enough to deal with complex social issues, it most certainly can be very problematic
    when safety nets become a permanent multi generational lifestyle choice actively encouraging state dependence over work, we all suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

when safety nets become a permanent multi generational lifestyle choice actively encouraging state dependence over work, we all suffer.

what if these 'safety nets' are actually trapping people, and not effectively dealing with whatever complex issues these individuals have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

what if these 'safety nets' are actually trapping people, and not effectively dealing with whatever complex issues these individuals have

Dont be silly its all the persons own making! Dont bring complex external influences into it, it makes them angrier

ah yes, the poor are totally devoid of agency or strategy and are but flotsam on a sea of circumstance. the bigotry of low expectations and an ideological gra for big government.

ah yes, the poor are totally devoid of agency or strategy and are but flotsam on a sea of circumstance. the bigotry of low expectations and an ideological gra for big government.

have you ever spent some time with long term unemployed?

• Advertisement

have you ever spent some time with long term unemployed?
    that would be most of my neighbours

that would be most of my neighbours

ever noticed anything unusual with their behavior?

ever noticed anything unusual with their behavior?
    not sure, unusual by what standard?

not sure, unusual by what standard?

why are they in the situation that they are in?

why are they in the situation that they are in?
    for a good few it would be because their parents were in the same boat and it's normal for them

• Advertisement

for a good few it would be because their parents were in the same boat and it's normal for them

so whats the problem?

so whats the problem?
    seriously?

seriously?

yes seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Ah the twice weekly dole bashing thread .....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Being bone idle and wanting someone else to pay for everything is NOT complex!

so laziness?

I feel like thread is mostly made up of people paid to push an agenda. Which political party though?

yes seriously?

you're asking me what the problem is with multiple generations of the same families being wards of the state?

You dont think being bone idle is a simple catch all phrase that gives the user the answer they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My OH has recently had to sign on after being made redundant. He has no plan to stay sitting on it for long; he already has interviews lined up.

You think he should be made "exist" on food stamps for the foreseeable? Why? He's paid into the system since he was 16. Why would you want to make him suffer even more than he already is? He wants to work. He likes work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If the dole was abolished completely I would give the state a fortnight max before it looked like a mad max post apocalyptic wasteland...

Agree, it is less costly to the state to give someone enough to survive than it is to keep that same person in prison. If someone has nothing to lose, a guaranteed roof over their head and three meals a day can start to look attractive.

My OH has recently had to sign on after being made redundant. He has no plan to stay sitting on it for long; he already has interviews lined up.

You think he should be made "exist" on food stamps for the foreseeable? Why? He's paid into the system since he was 16. Why would you want to make him suffer even more than he already is? He wants to work. He likes work.
    as I said many a time, the fact your fella, having paid prsi for years, receives the same as someone who has never contributed is a national disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,504 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I feel like thread is mostly made up of people paid to push an agenda. Which political party though?

Which party do you think it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Imo opinion his basic wages should be matched until he gains new employment.

rob316 wrote: »
    Imo opinion his basic wages should be matched until he gains new employment.

Indefinitely or for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

you're asking me what the problem is with multiple generations of the same families being wards of the state?
    Or Cash’s of the state. Or Conners of the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Not saying you, but a lot of "informed" people who spout the usual anti-American spiel on here do not know how the system works there.

In your husband's situation (and for all workers in the States), he would be entitled to unemployment compensation, which varies from State to State e.g. you could get a maximum of $420 per week in New York. And that unemployment can be extended beyond 6 months for various reasons.

This is what's great about the U.S. system.
    Sit on your backside and expect the worker to support your lifestyle; then you get food stamps.
    Unfortunate enough to get let go from work, then the worker (and your own payments into the system) will support you for a reasonable amount of time for you to get back on your feet again.

Unfortunately, the usual "brigade" on here just shouts down any suggestions for modifications to the lucrative welfare lifestyle in Ireland because:
    a) They are abusing the system themselves.
    b) They are supporters of political parties that push the welfare agenda.

In my own opinion, any savings that can be achieved by reducing the payments to professional social welfare recipients, should be put back into more deserving aspects of the welfare program e.g. increase home carers allowances, increase disability assistance spending, fund nationalised childcare for low-to-middle-tier working families etc. etc.

endacl wrote: »
    Or Cash’s of the state. Or Conners of the state.
    brilliant

Which party do you think it is?

Fine Gael? Was it them and Varadker pushing that welfare cheats us all thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,504 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Fine Gael? Was it them and Varadker pushing that welfare cheats us all thing?

I don't think it's them. They are the ones paying out 20 billion of taxpayers money a year in Social Welfare.

Advertisement