Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Reded

everlast75 wrote: »
    On the point of young folk, was at the Wha last night for a bit. Saw this young girl out of her head with a bloke who was far more together. Didn't get a good vibe from him at all. I watched the 2 of them for a bit and figured that if anything happened, there's no way she knew what she was doing. We tried to have a word with your man but the extent to which he was going to help her was to grab a can and give her some, so i nabbed a security guard, filled him in and told him that at the very least, she needed medical attention. We headed off as he went over with purpose to intervene.

Saw so much of that! Fair play to you - you did the right thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Cheers. Here's hoping they get my code right this year.

Ditto. In fairness after a few calls they sorted me out and reimbursed the difference but could do without the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Having a few pints to settle myself after the weekend, couple of brilliant moments, Marr 'how soon is now' made the lip wibble a little bit, Billie was brilliant and Parquet Courts are much heavier live.
    Great weekend and didn't miss the cans (too much).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

EP these days doesn't hold a candle to Glastonbury.

Take away the many dreadful parts of EP these days (the overt corporate crap, the price gouging, the lack of free-flow, the ever-worsening crowd IMO), and Glastonbury still easily beats it.

Do you notice the crowds? Or do you find it easy enough to navigate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Poorside wrote: »
    Marr 'how soon is now' made the lip wibble a little bit

Marr covering Depeche Mode made the weekend for me. end of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭thebusher

Having a few pints to settle myself after the weekend, couple of brilliant moments, Marr 'how soon is now' made the lip wibble a little bit, Billie was brilliant and Parquet Courts are much heavier live.
    Great weekend and didn't miss the cans (too much).

Didnt realise at the time you were at the meet up til I saw Seathrun naming everyone. I said to Stillill42 that theres 2 posters on here that seem like they have the same record collection as me, himself and you!

Marr covering Depeche Mode made the weekend for me. end of story.

That was unfücking real.

thebusher wrote: »
    Didnt realise at the time you were at the meet up til I saw Seathrun naming everyone. I said to Stillill42 that theres 2 posters on here that seem like they have the same record collection as me, himself and you!

I just turned up for the pic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Genghis wrote:
    Didn't eat much at the stalls, but once again this year it was hard to find anyone to take cards for food. Well sorted for that at the bars, in fairness.

I only paid for drinks with a card at the bar, didn't hand over any cash after the reports of overcharging from previous years.

It would be good if the food outlets also took cards. I found myself having to ask for my 13 Euro change at one of the food places last night. I don't think it was a mistake on their part either. The guy took my 20 Euro note and carried on serving away even though I hadn't walked off. When I reminded him about my change he knew how much I was due back too. It's bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I just turned up for the pic

Yeah, you'd be among the heads I'd have been looking forward to meeting. Maybe next time. In fairness, looking at that photo, nobody could be blamed for high tailing it in the other direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Got home this afternoon and have hardly moved from the couch. The car still has to be unpacked, never mind any of the other stuff that will follow that. :(

I/We had a another great weekend. All the predictions of a washout were happily way off. Putting on sunblock and only using a poncho as a seat is a good start.

I must have rubbed shoulders with a good few of you at some stage over the weekend, all as most of the stages/bands/places I ended up have already been mentioned.

So many people want to get to the the green carpark. I didn't, but that's where I ended up and it is not a nice walk to the ECO, even with a trolley.

If it wasn't for the ECO campsite, I really think my EP days would have ended years ago. There is no better place. Even if boutique/Pink Moon was a decent price, I still think I would end up in ECO.

Started with Galway Street Club on Friday and finished with the plug being pulled on Cian Finn in Trenchtown this morning at 4am. Everything else is coming back to me slowly. My timing being off seemed to be the theme of the weekend as I seem to arrive for "Thank You Electric Picnic, you've been great" far too many times.

I wonder what way Freetown will develop over time... It was a bit lost really. I think the only time the area was anyway busy was before/after a big crowd in Terminus. (btw, those shipping containers around the tent really kept the sound in. The outside/inside difference was amazing.) I think moving Terminus and some of the other similar stages down to the carnival area and rescue Global Green up to Freetown would be a good way to go. Then Freetown, The Salty Dog, Trailer Park, Body & Soul, Trenchtown could all feed off each other better.

I'm still out to lunch about the arena extension. It definitely made Trailer Park/Salty Dog/Trailer Park movement much better (why did they never fit those gates before?), but no cans does change things. Maybe a 2 cans limit through security would be a good compromise.

Things will come back to me as the next few days pass. But they will all be good.

Roll on Friday/Saturday for the start of the whole process once more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Do you notice the crowds? Or do you find it easy enough to navigate?

Glastonbury roughly feels as busy as EP did this weekend. The differences for both are equally negative and positive.

Glasto is a monster of a festival, the largest on the planet. It's five days long though major music only on three days. You need to get there on the Wednesday for a decent camping spot. Last time I walked 26km a day. You don't get a shower unless you bring hour own solar pack so you'll be a bit manky particularly if it's hot. It's not corporate but it's not cheap for tickets transport or at the event.

It's exhausting but it's a fantastic experience with consistently great music. Like EP it's effectively two festivals, loads of pop for kids on the main stage & others. Elsewhere there's plenty of indie stuff.

EP is much smaller, much easier, hygiene simpler and as mellow as Glasto. Consistently good music and very comparable in terms of what is set up for attendees. I'd consider the Body & Soul area at night nicer than any at Worthy Farm. The make up of the crowds is very similar in terms of both age range and the behaviour of youngsters.

In short they're both excellent and please be cautious about those who slag off either.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Reded

Back in the west..! Showered and in clean sheets - it’s the little things!!! Back to work in the morning banjaxed!!

Had a brilliant weekend -but I still get so &€#%ing annoyed at the **** people leave behind - and thé disregard for people who have to clean the aftermath! I’m a big supporter of the reusable cup it works elsewhere and reduces litter! As for the peeing everywhere but the loo- seriously!

Anyway time for some zzzz! Rest up people a year of morning ahead about line up etc :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Glastonbury roughly feels as busy as EP did this weekend. The differences for both are equally negative and positive.

Glasto is a monster of a festival, the largest on the planet. It's five days long though major music only on three days. You need to get there on the Wednesday for a decent camping spot. Last time I walked 26km a day. You don't get a shower unless you bring hour own solar pack so you'll be a bit manky particularly if it's hot. It's not corporate but it's not cheap for tickets transport or at the event.

It's exhausting but it's a fantastic experience with consistently great music. Like EP it's effectively two festivals, loads of pop for kids on the main stage & others. Elsewhere there's plenty of indie stuff.

EP is much smaller, much easier, hygiene simpler and as mellow as Glasto. Consistently good music and very comparable in terms of what is set up for attendees. I'd consider the Body & Soul area at night nicer than any at Worthy Farm. The make up of the crowds is very similar in terms of both age range and the behaviour of youngsters.

In short they're both excellent and please be cautious about those who slag off either.

Thanks was considering Glasto 2020 tic (if I could get them) but I think I'm happy sticking to the Picnic.

May try for B&S fest for the first time this year.

Looking back at photos now with the missus. Such a great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Yeah, you'd be among the heads I'd have been looking forward to meeting. Maybe next time. In fairness, looking at that photo, nobody could be blamed for high tailing it in the other direction.

I had a pint with Poorside & Mrs. Poorside in Jerry Fish late on Fri. Lovely couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Lads & Lasses (we cannot all be blokes surely?), i think i've all the usual questions in the FAQ for the 2020 thread, can ye have a look and slap me with any obvious ones that are missing (PM or whatevs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

sweetie wrote: »
    So did anyone see the Kevin Kilbane DJ set ��?

I caught about 10 minutes of it, they stopped letting people in shortly before he started eventhough it wasn't that busy. 1 out, 1 in system. He looked fairly nervous up there, didn't hang around long enough to critique!

Eco campsite was great this year but didn't seem as full as last year. The Rave in the Woods didn't keep me awake on Friday or Saturday but it did seem much louder on Sunday for some reason.

The weather worked out great in the end.

Getting from Eco through Freetown and to the Salty Dog and on into the mainstage etc seemed much easier this year. Doing away with freeflow to then charge 6 Euro for a can poured into a cup seemed too much of a money grab for my liking. 3 or 4 Euro maybe but not 6.

Terminus was some setup but didn't seem to have much on. Usually when we went past it was empty.

We enjoyed Billie Eilish, The Bootleg Beach Boys, Gerry Cinnamon & Christine and The Queens.

There was a big gap in Saturday schedule where we had nothing of interest to see between about 2pm & 6pm.

We left Echo and The Bunnymen after The Killing Moon and I actually noticed the sound seemed better outside the tent as we headed to Jerry Fish.

Ended up with a few clashes on Sunday which I guess is just bad luck.

Kodaline and Florence were good on the Sunday.

Jess Glynne wasn't great and it felt like her show was just lazy with her trying to get the crowd to sing every second line.

I took it handy enough on the drink as had a few too many on Thursday night while getting ready for the weekend.

I can now say I feel better after the festival than I did before it.

We'd a great time and we'll go again next year. Some of the changes were good but I've a few more I could suggest.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I had a pint with Poorside & Mrs. Poorside in Jerry Fish late on Fri. Lovely couple.

Aww that makes me blush, was a good chat though, one of the best things about the weekend was the amount of great chats with total strangers, really felt like a very friendly weekend overall.

And, I got a badge off the Seven inch collective for being the best dancer they've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 cjdennis29

Sons of Kemet / Serpentwithfeet / Yves Tumor probably my top 3 of the weekend. some amazing performances holy fukk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'm glad to report the mandolin came home from pink moon unharmed! Had a fantastic weekend and saw loads of who I wanted to see. Will do a bit of a more detailed post after a while to let it all sink in.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

everlast75 wrote: »
    On the point of young folk, was at the Wha last night for a bit. Saw this young girl out of her head with a bloke who was far more together. Didn't get a good vibe from him at all. I watched the 2 of them for a bit and figured that if anything happened, there's no way she knew what she was doing. We tried to have a word with your man but the extent to which he was going to help her was to grab a can and give her some, so i nabbed a security guard, filled him in and told him that at the very least, she needed medical attention. We headed off as he went over with purpose to intervene.

Fair play to you.

I thought there was less people so f###ed up that they could not stand this year. Maybe there was, and I just didn't see them. But those that I did see, seemed to have a responsible friend with them.

To be honest, it never really occurred to me that the responsible friend might not actually be either of those things. I might give those people a second glance in future.

I heard a rumour this morning of an incident in one of the campsites on Saturday night that could be exactly what you suspected. I hope it is only a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭darzog

What’s the craic with lads walking to the toilets but then when they get there they piss on the fence right beside **** loads of free piss pots , Makes no sense to me

I agree. Was heading into the urinals and said to a guy walking next to me that it was crazy that people were going against the fence no more than 6 feet away from the nearest empty urinals. His exact words to me were “don’t be a wuss, it’s Electric Picnic, if he wants to p*ss there, he can p*ss there”. Ah, ‘tis truly the end of times...

darzog wrote:
    I agree. Was heading into the urinals and said to a guy walking next to me that it was crazy that people were going against the fence no more than 6 feet away from the nearest empty urinals. His exact words to me were “don’t be a wuss, it’s Electric Picnic, if he wants to p*ss there, he can p*ss thereâ€. Ah, ‘tis truly the end of times...

I saw people peeing on the fence while right beside the urinals. Not a few feet away but literally right beside. If they had turned slightly to the side they would be peeing into the urinals. I don't understand it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Calvin Harris track played at the Bacardi bar.
    Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Started writing a post but not ready yet
    I’m worse today than I was yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

The good:
    - Thought The Strokes were brilliant, loved every minute, what a back catalogue to choose from. Plus they were extremely tight for a band that don’t have a regular tour schedule. I also seem to be in the minority that liked Julian’s sarcastic smart arse-ery. A headline act taking the piss out of the cringeworthy ‘Ole, Ole, Ole’? Yes please! Then again I like my rock stars to have some arrogance about them, nowadays it’s a pleasant change from the “aw shucks” false modesty
    - The number of young interesting Irish acts is so encouraging and perfectly counteracts some of the shear blandness of some of the main stage Irish acts. On the Saturday alone I saw a great run of Odd Morris, PowPig, Inhaler, Fonda & Just Mustard. It’s probably the year I’ve spent the least time in the campsite.

The not so good:
    - The crowd in Pink Moon seems to be getting younger & younger and louder and messier. Or maybe I’m just getting older and quieter and cleaner. I might have just got unlucky but the speaker ban was useless around my area. Also the unwritten rule of ‘don’t block the whole row with your chairs and rubbish’ flew out the window

The bad:
    - Teenagers. Lots of them. Particularly on the Sunday. Whether it was barging through people (sometimes deliberately) with their little chain links or their ironic little dances as they enter tents (if they ever move from the main stage) or the constant chatter & moaning through acts they have no interest in (a real irritation during Ashcroft’s set). Although bonus points to the 15 or 16 year old girl who moved to the back for Florence where my wife and I were and said to her friend “Eww no, this is the weirdo area”. Legend.
    - Rookie mistake of paying too much attention to the rain related forecasts and getting burnt to a crisp on the Saturday

Looking forward to doing to it all again next year!

Dropping my positivity things that pi*s me off at EP
    people barging through (either arrive on time or at least have some manners)
    People talking through gigs (f**k off if you dont want to listen to the music)
    Not the same beers at all bars. I like very little of what is on offer so at some bars i couldnt get a drink (maybe thats a good thing)

Other than them its brilliant

• Advertisement

On being overcharged at bars as far as i am aware it has never happened to me. In fact remember one year giving back money as got too much change. Really notice how poor at maths many of them are. Get totally confused if i give €21 for a €6 drink (notes easier to carry than lots of change)

Advertisement