Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Dublin ban Burqas and Hijabs?

Options

Comments

dennispenn wrote: »
    But would you? For a laugh?
    Have Muslims a good sense of humour? Do you think they might see a funny side to it?
    ðŸ˜

FYI, the Muslims I know have a great sense of humour.
    What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

dennispenn wrote: »
    But would you? For a laugh?
    Have Muslims a good sense of humour? Do you think they might see a funny side to it?

ðŸ˜

You need to travel man...take a year out ... mix with different cultures ... come out from behind the computer screen... some of your posts are beyond childish. I ve been posting on this thread for a bit now and I'm listening to some of the arguments and even though I don t fully agree with them and feel they are misguided and illl informed but I do accept they feel strongly and fair enough they are entitled to express their views and I respect their right ...but yours are downright nasty and mean consistently...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

bubblypop wrote: »
    No I wouldn't do it for a laugh.
    But what If I I decided one day, to wear one?
    Just because I wanted to.
    Should the Irish government ban me from wearing it?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steve-collins

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12101647

This is just one of many bank robberys which have happened while a man has wore a niqab.

Security reasons alone should have these stone age garments banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

3 countries that I'm guessing you would class as liberal (well I think they are anyway) have banned it, if muslims want to live in the west they need to accept the way of life or return to Islamic countries where they can cover up all they want to.

they don't need to except a way of life that banns certain clothing from being worn because some people are insecure about people who are different to them.
    thebull85 wrote: »
    Why would it? They are clearly not the same thing.

because we would want to be consistent surely? or is it we just want to get at the muslims?

This is just one of many bank robberys which have happened while a man has wore a niqab.

banks for example can already ask one to remove the face covering so security reasons are not valid reasons for a burka bann.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Some dick decides to rob a bank so you think we should develop public policy on his actions...now if only the Niqab didn t exist he d have never come up with a different plan :rolleyes:

Oh wait ill dress up as a nun they ll never ban that ...perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyGrZjEVLt8

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The burqa is just a piece of cloth, like a Klan robe, just material but it demonstrates a leaning to a set of values that are incompatible with Liberal democracies, human rights etc.

If Hindus or Sikhs started going around in Burqas, no one could care less.

It would just be a piece of cloth, the baggage would not be there, it would not show an allegiance or openness to an extreme, regressive mindset.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

because we would want to be consistent surely? or is it we just want to get at the muslims?

I have never seen a nun with her full face covered so that all you can see are her eyes, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I have never seen a nun with her full face covered so that all you can see are her eyes, have you?

that doesn't matter though. it's about what it represents in the minds of some.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

It clearly matters, because they are not the same thing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

What do you think it represents, given that;
    A. Its enforced (by rules and laws made up by men) upon women from an early age to wear it.
    B. Strictly speaking it is not religious, as it is not called for in the Quran.
    C. There is no such demands put on men of the same religous or cultural background to wear anything of the sort like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

If it was one of many then why did yo have to go back 7 years to Canada to find an example? Let me ask you this, if these items of clothing were banned do you think that man would not have robbed the bank? Robbing banks is also banned you know.

Danzy wrote: »
    The burqa is just a piece of cloth, like a Klan robe, just material but it demonstrates a leaning to a set of values that are incompatible with Liberal democracies, human rights etc.

If Hindus or Sikhs started going around in Burqas, no one could care less.

It would just be a piece of cloth, the baggage would not be there, it would not show an allegiance or openness to an extreme, regressive mindset.

Many people have values and beliefs that are incompatible with liberal democracies privately yet live within the laws of the country they are in. The Irish People living in the UAE have liberal values in a conservative country and get on fine so long as they don t break the law. The law is what matters not your beliefs , what you are proposing is something more akin to totalitarianism where if you are found out to have different views you can be arrested and ****ed into a gulag.

Technicality, ....ok ban the widows veil altogether , sure that would be the perfect ruse who d suspect a widow in a veil , or ban walking in to a bank on a freezing November with your scarf wrapped up to your nose which I have done numerous times in my life. ... Ridiculous whataboutery, nanny state , mind the children , nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Why would it? They are clearly not the same thing.

They are both hair coverings based on a religious belief. Sounds like the same to me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Wibbs wrote: »

Saw that earlier when Odhinn posted that ME countries were doing their part and he got thanked for it, even though his figures were plucked from the air and not based on reality. One's position going in leads to blinkers to anything outside of it. On both sides.

Bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Why would anyone possibly want to engage in a conversation with someone who has their face completely covered or have to deal with them in a professional setting. Can you imagine if Irish women or western women in general were forced to cover up like this there would be outrage but yet again the religion of peace musnt be touched. I'm frankly sick to my stomach of these complete double standards in society where anyone non white gets a free pass to do what the hell they like and all sorts of accusations are thrown against those who point out their less than reasonable behaviour of some members of these groups.

Crea wrote: »
    They are both hair coverings based on a religious belief. Sounds like the same to me

Hair coverings that cover their whole face?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Mutant z wrote: »
    Why would anyone possibly want to engage in a conversation with someone who has their face completely covered or have to deal with them in a professional setting. Can you imagine if Irish women or western women in general were forced to cover up like this there would be outrage but yet again the religion of peace musnt be touched. I'm frankly sick to my stomach of these complete double standards in society where anyone non white gets a free pass to do what the hell they like and all sorts of accusations are thrown against those who point out their less than reasonable behaviour of some members of these groups.
    Who is forcing you to communicate with anyone? If you don't like the cut of someone's jib you are free to ignore them.

Calm down fella , a tad exaggeration there. Borderline hysterical , you ll be looking for safe spaces from Muslims next.

• Advertisement

Dannyriver wrote: »

Calm down fella , a tad exaggeration there. Borderline hysterical , you ll be looking for safe spaces from Muslims next.
    Well the media did do all it could to bury those sexual exploitation of young girls by Muslim men in the UK look at how Tommy Robinson has been treated for bringing it to public notice he's been hounded and been issued death treats all because he had the audacity to point out the disgusting behaviour from members of the religion of peace, its at the point were even so much as criticising Islam has become an arrestable offense while young white girls who were abused by sexual devient perverts were ignored so not to offend that very religion, its disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Well the media did do all it could to bury those sexual exploitation of young girls by Muslim men in the UK look at how Tommy Robinson has been treated for bringing it to public notice he's been hounded and been issued death treats all because he had the audacity to point out the disgusting behaviour from members of the religion of peace, its at the point were even so much as criticising Islam has become an arrestable offense while young white girls who were abused by sexual devient perverts were ignored so not to offend that very religion, its disgusting.

This isn't the UK. Take your whingefest somewhere else.

This is a thread about whether the hijab should be banned in county Dublin.

dav3 wrote: »

This isn't the UK. Take your whingefest somewhere else.

This is a thread about whether the hijab should be banned in county Dublin.
    Islam is the same wherever it is when it starts to get more dominant here the exact same problems it has caused in the UK will start to happen here to the fact is it's a medieval deology which will never fit into any modern 21st century civilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

Islam is the same wherever it is when it starts to get more dominant here the exact same problems it has caused in the UK will start to happen here to the fact is it's a medieval deology which will never fit into any modern 21st century civilisation.

Yip.spot on.

Think it was last year, Angel Merkel shared a stage with the Turkish president and spoke about moderate Muslims.her ass licking cut no ice with the Turkish dictator who famously said, there is no moderate Islam. Islam is Islam.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

they don't need to except a way of life that banns certain clothing from being worn because some people are insecure about people who are different to them.

Well they will accept it in Belgium France and Austria because it's the law.

Centuries of culture/religion/societal traditions summed up by Galway guy who knows ****all about it ...now that s arrogance if you ask me. As I said thankfully the Muslims in the UAE are more tolerant than you are.

I know enough about it to know that it's all a load of crap.

I know enough about it to know that it's all a load of crap.

Ah that s ok then I didn t know you were so well up and informed you should have said it was a load of crap earlier

[/U][/B]

Ah that s ok then I didn t know you were so well up and informed you should have said it was a load of crap earlier

That's no problem at all, happy to be of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Centuries of culture/religion/societal traditions summed up by Galway guy who knows ****all about it ...now that s arrogance if you ask me. As I said thankfully the Muslims in the UAE are more tolerant than you are.

People have gone to jail in the UAE for kissing in public. People have been arrested for holding hands and jailed, drinking wine, tweeting opposition to fox hunting, putting a hand on a man as you push through a bar and on and on and on.

The UAE is as bizarre a society as one can get.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    People have gone to jail in the UAE for kissing in public. People have been arrested for holding hands and jailed, drinking wine, tweeting opposition to fox hunting, putting a hand on a man as you push through a bar and on and on and on.

The UAE is as bizarre a society as one can get.

You are truly making an ape of yourself if you think anyone in Dubai is in fear of what you just posted. You might want to talk to someone who s actually lived there Danzy, or else go work for the daily mail or the Sun..... picking sensationalist extremely rare incidents as a barometer of everyday life is the ultimate in fake news. Trust me there s as much vice to be had in Dubai as you d get in Bangkok if that s what your after. you basically haven t a clue what you are talking about.

Advertisement