Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Dublin ban Burqas and Hijabs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

jmayo wrote: »
    He is one of the few muslims and ex radical at that who has openly, with big risk to his own safety, criticised muslims and islam.

You do know he has supported Tommy Robinson and they actually get on well?
    He was one of the few, even among non muslims, who backed Robinson's assertion that muslim men were far more likely to be involved in child grooming gangs in Britain.

But now all the anti Robinson brigade will use your quote above about Maajid Nawaz being a "narcissistic racist" and that is why he gets on so well with Robinson. :rolleyes:

I know quite a bit on maajid,including the time he put in with Tommy as Tommy was leaving the EDL. He never lets his listeners forget it. Tommy Left the EDL because it was infiltrated with Nazis etc.

Where are all the army officer's that nawaz recruited? Where are all these jihads? He never speaks about them,never. His only goal is to raise his own profile and Garner as many shackles from the white man,because it is the white man that's funding him,foolishly imo. You rightly said,some Muslims do dislike him because they see him as blasphemous yet maajid still claims to be a Muslim, a non practicing Muslim whatever that is.
    He can still recite 1/2 the Quran. An incredible feat for someone to do despite not practicing the Faith. .... I don't buy it. You couldn't recite the Quran by heart unless you are constantly revising it like anything else in life. Only a small percentage of Muslims in the world can recite it by heart.... And a fair heap of them are working with terror groups like ISIS

But maajid backing Tommy Robinson in his quest to reveal the truth about the Pakistani racist,paedophile rape gangs,lets call them exactly what they instead of as maajid puts it, ASIAN grooming gangs,is laughable. He deserves zero credit. He rarely speaks of them and when he does he refers to them as Asians... He still refers to Tommy Robinson as ex EDL leader when referencing him but never introduces himself as ex jailed jihadi....

To conclude, maajid knows that ISLAM cannot be reformed. He knows this well. All he is doing is adjitating a certain sect of Islam with his intellectual buffoonery.
    His QUILLIAN anti terror organization never ever prevented one terror attack. That's why the government pulled the funding for it.

He's a charlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

bubblypop wrote: »
    If it was a workplace rule that religious symbols should not be worn, then yes.
    One rule for all employees, you cannot discriminate.
    I would imagine the issue would be known before someone gets the job though.

Good to see we are on the same page.

So you should have no problem with an outright ban so seeing as you think its acceptable for an employer to do so.

it's more cultural rather then religious from what i understand. however, given it's clothing, it may not be as simple for an employer to ask for it's removal then it would be for example, a cross which is a religious symbol.

Nope its the same thing, the cross might mean just as much to a christian as the burqa does to to muslim but if one has to remove it then so should the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So you should have no problem with an outright ban so seeing as you think its acceptable for an employer to do so.

i do have a problem with an outright ban. it's not required and would take funding away from other, actual, issues.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Nope its the same thing, the cross might mean just as much to a christian as the burqa does to to muslim nut if one has to remove it then so should the other.

:confused:

• Advertisement

Dannyriver wrote: »

But

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

He can't help it.

Well I don't fancy living in any more of a nanny state then we already do.
    I have no problem with employers making the rules for their work place, there are plenty of rules from my employer as to what I can & cannot do, even outside work.
    I would have a problem with the government banning me from wearing an item of clothing!

He can't help it.

He s not even aware of it till it's highlighted, internally normalised.

He s not even aware of it till it's highlighted, internally normalised.

Well the n was beside the b so my sentence wouldn't have made sense if it was nut I was saying.

I have no problem at all calling them nuts but not in this case.

• Advertisement

Well I don't fancy living in any more of a nanny state then we already do.
    I have no problem with employers making the rules for their work place, there are plenty of rules from my employer as to what I can & cannot do, even outside work.
    I would have a problem with the government banning me from wearing an item of clothing!

3 countries that I'm guessing you would class as liberal (well I think they are anyway) have banned it, if muslims want to live in the west they need to accept the way of life or return to Islamic countries where they can cover up all they want to.

3 countries that I'm guessing you would class as liberal (well I think they are anyway) have banned it, if muslims want to live in the west they need to accept the way of life or return to Islamic countries where they can cover up all they want to.

Yes, they may have but I don't want to give in a country that bans me from wearing some clothes if I want to.

Do you feel the 10 000 Irish and 250 000 Britons should have to cover up in the UAE or go home . ?

Do you feel the 10 000 Irish and 250 000 Britons should have to cover up in the UAE or go home . ?

Their country their rules.

Their country their rules.

Fair enough , thankfully for all the Irish/Brits/Yanks and Canadians who live there the Muslims are more tolerant of diversity than you are. Isn't that a turn up for the books.

Fair enough , thankfully for all the Irish/Brits/Yanks and Canadians who live there the Muslims are more tolerant of diversity than you are. Isn't that a turn up for the books.

It's just a religious symbol, nobody is going to die if they don't wear it.

If anything they should be delighted about not having to wear it.

But that's not your decision to make, that's up to the ladies whether they want to or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

When chiming in with an opinion on a subject I ask myself how is this going to impact on my life.

As regards the Burka how many of them do we see in Ireland?
    I can not remember the last time I saw a Burka.
    What about banning quads and scrambler bikes these are a menace.

But that's not your decision to make, that's up to the ladies whether they want to or not.

Now you don't really believe they all get a choice in it do you?

You seem to want to ignore that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

In some places they are not given the freedom to decide for themselves what they can or cannot wear.
    In all seriousness, who would want to be clad from head to toe in all black in 30 plus degrees of heat, while their male counterparts can wear white short sleeve shirts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

K.Flyer wrote: »
    In some places they are not given the freedom to decide for themselves what they can or cannot wear.
    In all seriousness, who would want to be clad from head to toe in all black in 30 plus degrees of heat, while their male counterparts can wear white short sleeve shirts.

Being forced to wear stuff.
    We can not even walk down the street as God made us.
    Our culture finds the sight of a body offensive.

K.Flyer wrote: »

In some places they probably are not .
    However, I don't believe the Irish government should dictate to them or me or any of us what we should of shouldn't wear!

It's just a religious symbol, nobody is going to die if they don't wear it.

Centuries of culture/religion/societal traditions summed up by Galway guy who knows ****all about it ...now that s arrogance if you ask me. As I said thankfully the Muslims in the UAE are more tolerant than you are.

Yes, they may have but I don't want to give in a country that bans me from wearing some clothes if I want to.

What clothes do wear and you think might be banned if a burka ban was enforced?

dennispenn wrote: »
    What clothes do wear and you think might be banned if a burka ban was enforced?

Well what if I fancy wearing a Burka?

Well what if I fancy wearing a Burka?

But would you? For a laugh?
    Have Muslims a good sense of humour? Do you think they might see a funny side to it?

ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Would this ban include not allowing nuns wear veils?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd ban hoodies personally. I'd also ban that Islamic sh1te.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Crea wrote: »
    Would this ban include not allowing nuns wear veils?

Why would it? They are clearly not the same thing.

• Advertisement

dennispenn wrote: »
    But would you? For a laugh?
    Have Muslims a good sense of humour? Do you think they might see a funny side to it?
    L
    ðŸ˜

No I wouldn't do it for a laugh.
    But what If I I decided one day, to wear one?
    Just because I wanted to.
    Should the Irish government ban me from wearing it?

Advertisement