Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Dublin ban Burqas and Hijabs?

Options
  • 01-09-2018 11:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭

Greetings guys and girls,

I have been thinking about this topic for quite some time now and have yet to make a real judgement on what truly would be a correct answer. If were to go to a country populated by the Muslim community we would be asked to cover up and follow their religious procedure.

Therefore in Britain and Ireland I believe we are within our rights to ban something that isolates woman and was made by men to oppress them. If I were to show my hair/head in their countries, I would be seen as obscene.

Recently came back from a trip and had some female friends been told by locals to cover their arms and legs as well as hair before entering out of the city centre areas. It was a very aggressive approach to and almost demanded 'or we leave the country' type of attitude. Now not using this as a reason or motive to make this topic, but it has however got me thinking.

If I could vote on it, I would ban burqas and possibly hijab.

What's your take on this guys?

Regards,

Sk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

What Dublin authority would ban them? The GAA county board??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is there a reason only Dublin should do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steve-collins

100% im surprised no one has tried to rob a bank with one yet.

You cant walk around with a bally on so why a face cover is allowed is beyond me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

biko wrote: »
    Is there a reason only Dublin should do this?

Its the best county in Ireland

OP location: Cork
    Thinks Dublin is best

My mind officially blown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

People wearing things to cover parts of themselves is clearly a rotten idea. Get your pants off right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Day Lewin wrote: »
    People wearing things to cover parts of themselves is clearly a rotten idea. Get your pants off right now.

Me wearing a t shirt of trousers is different to me having a cloak around me like I'm auditioning for a black Casper the ghost

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

KaneToad wrote: »
    What Dublin authority would ban them? The GAA county board??

The GAA has been very silent on this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Worldwide. Way past time we grew a pair and refused to accept archaic customs into our countries. Religious garment or not, as far as I'm concerned it has always been and always will be a sign of oppression against women. Keep it out of the Western world where women aren't treated as objects.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Greetings guys and girls,

I have been thinking about this topic for quite some time now and have yet to make a real judgement on what truly would be a correct answer. If were to go to a country populated by the Muslim community we would be asked to cover up and follow their religious procedure.

Therefore in Britain and Ireland I believe we are within our rights to ban something that isolates woman and was made by men to oppress them. If I were to show my hair/head in their countries, I would be seen as obscene.

Recently came back from a trip and had some female friends been told by locals to cover their arms and legs as well as hair before entering out of the city centre areas. It was a very aggressive approach to and almost demanded 'or we leave the country' type of attitude. Now not using this as a reason or motive to make this topic, but it has however got me thinking.

If I could vote on it, I would ban burqas and possibly hijab.

What's your take on this guys?

Regards,

Sk

I’ve never seen any reason to ban them, and using your reasoning that because there are oppressive laws in other countries we should institute oppressive laws here as some kind of retaliation, is probably the worst reason of all to demonstrate that not only are we just as oppressive as they are, we’re spiteful about it too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Phew!

I thought you wanted Dublin to ban Burgers and Kebabs! I thought I was going to have to move.

Carry on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Instead of banning things they should educate children (and adults) properly as to the nature of religion.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

People should be allowed to wear what they want no matter what there religion is.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Worldwide. Way past time we grew a pair and refused to accept archaic customs into our countries. Religious garment or not, as far as I'm concerned it has always been and always will be a sign of oppression against women. Keep it out of the Western world where women aren't treated as objects.

That genuinely made me laugh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

No, there's something very fascistic about banning an item of clothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Hermy wrote: »
    Instead of banning things they should educate children (and adults) properly as to the nature of religion.

If the rest of us have to show our faces in banks, getting IDs ,etc then they should too. Or they can sod off to their Countries if they don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Hermy wrote: »

You mean how it's a big load of nonsense and fairytales, created solely as a means of causing fear to control the masses with tales of living forever past death, yada, yada, yada, all the while continuously expanding the pockets of said fear mongers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Yes they should be banned Europe wide imo - it's oppressive, archaic and the reason they are worn as some pseudo protection of a women's modesty is ridiculous in the 21st century western world - when did we start going backwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

full face veils no i remember after i had been held up in a armed robbery and having ptsd going to the welfare as i couldn't go back to work with my nerves at the time and there was this Arab guy and his wife in full black and face veil and my god my nerves were jumping just, not that they would now. No problems with anyone and their religion but it's just unsettling. The other head scarf who care's doesnt bother anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

No, there's something very fascistic about banning an item of clothing.

Conversely there's something quite archaic making people wear one.

Just playing Devil's Advocate. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

If you remove the religious significance wearing a burka seems very ignorant towards your fellow people. Very hard to engage someone in meaningful conversation when you cannot see their facial expressions, a huge amount gets lost in an interaction.

Also again if you take religion out of it a burka does seem to be a security risk - an ideal disguise for criminals doing a robbery.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    People should be allowed to wear what they want no matter what there religion is.
    *their*

And tbh, it's rarely voluntary to wear these yokes.
    Just one case: Canadian man beat daughter for not wearing hijab
    https://www.rt.com/news/408129-father-beaten-daughter-hijab/

And before some enabler say it is voluntary - ask one of your many Muslim female friends that wears one, to take it off for an afternoon outdoors.

*their*

And before some enabler say it is voluntary - ask one of your many Muslim female friends that wears one, to take it off for an afternoon outdoors.

I think you misunderstand the meaning of the word ‘voluntary’ when someone says they wear something voluntarily, and you’re asking them to take it off :pac:

If you remove the religious significance wearing a burka seems very ignorant towards your fellow people. Very hard to engage someone in meaningful conversation when you cannot see their facial expressions, a huge amount gets lost in an interaction.

It’s really not that difficult if you’ve ever actually tried.

Also again if you take religion out of it a burka does seem to be a security risk - an ideal disguise for criminals doing a robbery.

Worst disguise ever, particularly in Western countries as you’re scrutinised twice as hard as someone not wearing something that covers their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Non-Muslim countries give every freedom to Muslims, but Muslims never give any freedom to their minorities.

Denmark have done it, we should too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Has anyone, ever, committed a murder / multiple murders in the western world wearing one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

*their*

It is voluntary unfortunately. The vast majority of women in the western world who wear the niqab choose to wear it. Women can be just as fundamental and obsessive about religion as men. For many women in Britain, it's used as a sign of identity, a symbol of pride and it's connected to a wider hardening of Islamic observance worldwide fuelled by Saudi money and influence.

It's a negative thing definitely, but the idea of cowed women yearning to discard it just isn't the case in Europe I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Has anyone, ever, committed a murder / multiple murders in the western world wearing one of these?

One of the London 7/7 bombers escaped wearing one of them.

The Black Widows of the Moscow Theatre Siege wore them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

It would difficult to ascertain if the self-detonating bomb would have blown it off or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I think the niqab is a crock of sh*t, and it's not actually representative of Islam as a whole. It's a Saudi garment that is indicative of fundamentalist Salafist Islam, something which is actually deeply hostile to ancient Muslim traditions across the world. Look at traditional clothing in places from India to Kurdistan, the idea of a woman swarthed head to toe is nowhere to be seen. And while most women choose to wear it, it's still a garment designed to limit women. Many women in Ireland chose to obey their husbands and believe their only job was to pump out good Catholic children - it doesn't mean that was progressive for women's place in society as a whole.

That having been said, banning it isn't going to achieve anything. In France they banned an Islamic swimsuit and we're treated to the farcical scene of cops arresting grannies for *not* baring flesh at the beach. Proscribing a woman's clothes and banning her from wearing stuff isn't going to stop the spread of radical Islam and nor is it going to liberate anyone. It's just going to foster a "them and us" mentality and push people further into the radical camp.

At the end of the day, as negative as it is, a woman walking down the road in a veil isn't going to do you any harm.

Advertisement