Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Donald is perhaps definitely kinda NOT coming to Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I don't like Trump, but I wonder how Irish people would take to the Irish president being insulted and attacked so much by the American people and media ? ?

Our president can handle himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Ronald Reagan had massive protests against him in the UK and Ireland. But they are a footnote to history now. All people remember is the great relationship he had with Thatcher and his pint in Ireland. The same will happen for Trump.

Protesters will be confined to college green. He will have a state reception at Dublin Castle, some nice speeches. Then a visit to the park, maybe a speech in the Daíl, again just like Reagan, some lefty’s will be absent. And then he will spend a day or two playing golf in Doonbeg and no protesters will get within 20 miles of him.

That’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

tretorn wrote: »
    I would like Trump to leave here with a goid memory of us.
    He wont if the PBP unwashed throw eggs and abuse at him. Who the **** do they think is going to pay for layabouts dole if the US companies pull out. We need the States more than they need us.
    Who does Eamon Ryan represent and how dare he hog the airwaves. His party was thrown out by the Irish electorate. Aodhan O Riordan is almost as bad with twiitter as DT and the sum total of his time in politics amounts to nothing.
    Cead Mile Failte Donal, I will lick your golf clubs if it means you will be goid to Ireland. I care about muslims as much as they care about me, its every man and woman for themselves.
    I think I would like to move to Saudi for the heat, is there anyway to get in there illegally.

Great post and exactly what my wife and were saying when we were watching the Six One news this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭mattser

I don't like Trump, but I wonder how Irish people would take to the Irish president being insulted and attacked so much by the American people and media ? ?

I more or less said this over on the big DT thread on Boards, a couple of times, and got ridiculed and banned.
    I see the same anti brigade are over here mouthing off. In fairness to this thread, it looks like it's giving a hearing to those with an alternative view.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

mattser wrote: »
    I more or less said this over on the big DT thread on Boards, a couple of times, and got ridiculed and banned.
    I see the same anti brigade are over here mouthing off. In fairness to this thread, it looks like it's giving a hearing to those with an alternative view.

I think a lot of people have starting looking past the personal attacks and spin to see if there are any decent political arguments for all this media hatred, but they seem to servery lacking, which makes people distrust the media even more.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

vladmydad wrote: »
    Ronald Reagan had massive protests against him in the UK and Ireland. But they are a footnote to history now. All people remember is the great relationship he had with Thatcher and his pint in Ireland. The same will happen for Trump.

Protesters will be confined to college green. He will have a state reception at Dublin Castle, some nice speeches. Then a visit to the park, maybe a speech in the Daíl, again just like Reagan, some lefty’s will be absent. And then he will spend a day or two playing golf in Doonbeg and no protesters will get within 20 miles of him.

That’s it.

Hopefully Antifa show up and get battered

Autochange wrote: »
    Hopefully Antifa show up and get battered

no, really, lets hope the arseholes from either side don't show up, Ireland apes far too much about american politics as it is.

Lets hope instead that Ireland actually shows up the rest of the western media by having some reasoned political discussion instead of personal attacks.
    - though I doubt it will.

no, really, lets hope the arseholes from either side don't show up, Ireland apes far too much about american politics as it is.

No. I really hope they do show up with their balaclavas and flags. And end up getting hammered.

Autochange wrote: »
    No. I really hope they do show up with their balaclavas and flags. And end up getting hammered.

hammed by who exactly ? The gardai will be warned not to touch them, the Irish authories are pro antifa

hammed by who exactly ? The gardai will be warned not to touch them.

If they cause trouble I mean. Which they usually do.
    Anyone and everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

.... because you think being against fascism is a bad thing...? :confused:

The Left are the Fascists.

Originally Posted by Princess Consuela Bananahammock
    .... because you think being against fascism is a bad thing...?

Right or left fascism ? Antifa are leftist fascists. Two sides of the same coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,261 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    The Left are the Fascists.

Deleted the post when I realised who I was responding to - he hasn't exactly been serious in his posting and has been warned more than once about it.

FWIW - the group he was referring to are not fascists. Clue is in the name: ANTI-fa.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

FWIW - the group he was referring to are not fascists. Clue is in the name: ANTI-fa.

left wing fascism isn't the solution to right wing fascism

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Trump. November.

This is going to be fun....

Bitte nicht den Horror-Clown!

No relevant to the point I was initially making: why somoene would want a group that is against fascism hammered.

I'm not commenting on this line any further as I said - the initial poster I was repsonding to is far from sincere.

No relevant to the point I was initially making: why somoene would want a group that is against fascism hammered.

It is relevant, antifa are left wing fascists, again that's not the solution to right wing fascism.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

There is no such thing as right wing fascism. It was a left wing movement. Anti capitalist, pro big government, anti free speech, identity politics. All left wing.

Deleted the post when I realised who I was responding to - he hasn't exactly been serious in his posting and has been warned more than once about it.

The Left are Fascists whether you want to admit it or not is your business. They are the silencing different opinions [Twitter and Facebook routinely censor Conservative pages], threatening businesses if they donate to the Republican [like just recently with In n Out Burger] attack anyone for wearing MAGA hats or showing any support for Trump.

You can't claim to be against Fascists while you turn around and act like them.

The Left are Fascists whether you want to admit it or not is your business. They are the silencing different opinions [Twitter and Facebook routinely censor Conservative pages], threatening businesses if they donate to the Republican [like just recently with In n Out Burger] attack anyone for wearing MAGA hats or showing any support for Trump.

You can't claim to be against Fascists while you turn around and act like them.

Where did I say anyone left-wing can't be fascist?

I said Anti-Fa are an anti-fascsist organisation. Whether or not they have a conversely fascist ideaology is a viewpoint that has been expressed but without an argument by a few people. I respect that and am not nessecarily disagreeing with. Nothing has been presented for me TO disagree with. Nor is it an argument relevant to the thread, so it's something I won;t be responding to, so please don't quote me if you want to carry it on amongst yourselves

And - FOR THE LAST TIME - I was asking the poster in question why he hoped someone would get bashed before I realised it was a poster who had no political comment to make.

Disagreeing with a group is one thing, but promoting institutionalised violence..?

• Advertisement

but promoting institutionalised violence..?

What do you think Antifa do? The fact that they constantly show up with their faces covered,brandishing weapons would clue in anyone with a brain that they're not this peaceful group that the media tries to make them out to be. They attack anyone that doesn't fit their narrative. They rioted in Berkley when Milo and Ben Shapiro were scheduled to speak at Berkley. They tried to attack people just recently at a Pro Police rally. We need to call Antifa what they are a Terrorist group.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

There is no such thing as right wing fascism. It was a left wing movement. Anti capitalist, pro big government, anti free speech, identity politics. All left wing.

Why is it only right-wing groups that like the Nazis then? Hmm.

You've also conveniently left out the inherent social conservatism of fascism, the rejection of equality...sounding pretty right wing to me.

Accepted definition for 70 years now is that fascism was right-wing (with caveats), you ain't changing it now to suit your own purposes.

Such an overused word these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What do you think Antifa do? The fact that they constantly show up with their faces covered,brandishing weapons would clue in anyone with a brain that they're not this peaceful group that the media tries to make them out to be. They attack anyone that doesn't fit their narrative. They rioted in Berkley when Milo and Ben Shapiro were scheduled to speak at Berkley. They tried to attack people just recently at a Pro Police rally. We need to call Antifa what they are a Terrorist group.

Do you live in America or something?

Burn their flags and remove their masks and balaclavas.

We don't want or need them here.

There is no such thing as right wing fascism.

rubbish, fascists left or right are still fascists.

please don't quote me if you want to carry it on amongst yourselves

Why am I not surprised you can't or won't answer. Just because they call themselves anti-fascists doesn't mean they don't is fascist like tactics.

Originally Posted by Princess Consuela Bananahammock View Post
    please don't quote me if you want to carry it on amongst yourselves

You want to post claims, but you don't want any of your claims challenged? That's not now free discussion works.

Why am I not surprised you can't or won't answer. Just because they call themselves anti-fascists doesn't mean they don't is fascist like tactics.

Where did I say anyone left-wing can't be fascist?

Whether or not they have a conversely fascist ideaology is a viewpoint ... that and am not nessecarily disagreeing with.

You want to post claims, but you don't want any of your claims challenged? That's not now free discussion works.

.... but I never made said claims as proven above.

Now seeing as people are incapable of reading what I've clearly written, I'm out of here. PM if you want to take it further.

• Advertisement

The Modern Left are all about Free Speech until they hear something [or read something in this instance] they don't like.

Advertisement