Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Special Event - September 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Can't see the appeal of Airpods myself. But every one seems to rave about them. It is just the price. Can the sound be that good to justify the price? I am very happy worth my €20 Anker. Plus I go through a lot of headphones.

Although in saying that I also thought I would never get an Apple watch. Reckon I will be getting the series 4. Really enjoying and get more out wearing a wearable/tracker than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Can't see the appeal of Airpods myself. But every one seems to rave about them. It is just the price. Can the sound be that good to justify the price? I am very happy worth my €20 Anker. Plus I go through a lot of headphones.

Although in saying that I also thought I would never get an Apple watch. Reckon I will be getting the series 4. Really enjoying and get more out wearing a wearable/tracker than I expected.

They’re great, but sound ****e. Barely better than the pack in pods. Really like the convenience of them. Grand for podcasts and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Yeah, sound wise they aren’t anything special, but they don’t sound terrible either. Weirdly enough, they sound better than the standard wired paid even though they’re supposed to be the same.

The wired ones never stayed in my ears, AirPods are solid, but I do use winged ear-tips when I run with them because the left one doesn’t stay as snug in my odd sized ears.

You’re paying the price for the convenience of them, the excellent battery life with the case and how well they work in the iOS ecosystem.

The wireless case will be a nice enough addition, but for me an updated pair with better sound quality, smaller size and some proper waterproofing would be worth the upgrade. I love them now so wireless charging or ‘hey siri’ support wouldn’t encourage me to want an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

DubDJ wrote: »
    ....... I love them now so wireless charging or ‘hey siri’ support wouldn’t encourage me to want an upgrade.

Is that the expected update - wireless charging and Siri?. My OH has a pair and i absolutely love them, but have been holding off in case of a more substantial upgrade. Neither of those would be hugely important for me, so i might just grab a pair with the new phone if that's the only change expected.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

eeloe wrote: »
    no more lightning to headphone jack!!!

Did anyone ever use it anyway? haha
    Most people with decent headphones I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

ArthurG wrote: »
    Is that the expected update - wireless charging and Siri?. My OH has a pair and i absolutely love them, but have been holding off in case of a more substantial upgrade. Neither of those would be hugely important for me, so i might just grab a pair with the new phone if that's the only change expected.
    Yeah. The wireless charging case was announced last year but is only expected to start shipping now (which might be sold separately/more expensive), the only other feature I’ve seen rumoured is “Hey Siri” support. You can already activate Siri by tapping an AirPod but this would let you activate it with just your voice. I never use Siri so it’s of no interest to me.

There were a few rumours about bigger changes such as sound quality improvements but they supposedly won’t launch until 2019 and might be positioned as a premium/pro pair with a higher price tag.

Wait until the event is on later this evening to see what’s announced anyway, but rumours point to minimal updates to the AirPods this year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

The AirPods sound quality is perfect, IMO....granted they aren't audiophile quality, but what wireless headphones are?

Perfect for the gym, walking, running(not that i do any of that) and pretty much every other application where you would use headphones.

The battery life is killer, the case is tiny(i kept losing them, so now i have a TwelveSouth airsnap case attached to my keys to keep a hold of them).

I'm not too sure what they could add to a new model(apart from wireless charging and the hey siri voice activation) that would tempt me to upgrade...

eeloe wrote: »
    The AirPods sound quality is perfect, IMO....granted they aren't audiophile quality, but what wireless headphones are?

Perfect for the gym, walking, running(not that i do any of that) and pretty much every other application where you would use headphones.

The battery life is killer, the case is tiny(i kept losing them, so now i have a TwelveSouth airsnap case attached to my keys to keep a hold of them).

I'm not too sure what they could add to a new model(apart from wireless charging and the hey siri voice activation) that would tempt me to upgrade...

There a tons of wireless headphones that sound much, much better than them. I've a pair of B&O H5s that destroy them in terms of SQ, but they constantly work their way out of my ears so I leave them at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Sound quality of AirPods ain't great they ain't going to compete with in-ears with better sound isolation or over-ears that have the internal volume to pack more tech in, but you're not buying them for that. You're buying them for the sheer convenience of having decent enough ear buds that are wireless and the entire package fits in the coin pocket of your jeans with decent battery life. No one has come close to this in the two years since AirPods were announced, and just shows how far ahead Apple got with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I couldnt hold out and ordered a pair of over ear Bluetooth headphones. Price was too good to turn down. Sennheiser HD4.50BT with ANC. They have B stock for £79.99

I may still order a pair of airpods at some stage but I think it will be next year before there is anysignificant change to them by the sounds of it.

• Advertisement

Is it 6PM Irish time that the event kicks off? Would be just home from work if so which would be great.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

yep 6pm kick off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

adox wrote: »
    Is it 6PM Irish time that the event kicks off? Would be just home from work if so which would be great.

Yes 6pm Irish time.

Great stuff. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Best way to watch this evening?

Apple accidentally leaked some of today’s stuff through their sitemap.

iPhones Xs, Xs Max and Xr are the confirmed names.

Apple Watch Series 4 will come with 40mm and 44mm now up from 38/42mm.

The Xr comes in a lot of colours, and actually offers up to 256GB of storage which is surprising.

Nothing majorly surprising though.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

jenno86 wrote: »
    Best way to watch this evening?

Apple.com

Here’s the link to the livestream from Apple’s website, should go live a few minutes before 6pm.

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2018/

It’s supposed to be streamed on Twitter this year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Doesn’t Apple normally release the new iOS before these events?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

mad muffin wrote: »
    Doesn’t Apple normally release the new iOS before these events?

Nope, normally ready to roll out after the event. or the next day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

morritty wrote: »
    Nope, normally ready to roll out after the event. or the next day?

Yes normally released a few days after the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

The new namings are terrible suprised Apple went down this road. Suprised they didn’t choose iPhone Pro or Edition or just iPhone.

Marty Bird wrote: »
    The new namings are terrible suprised Apple went down this road. Suprised they didn’t choose iPhone Pro or Edition or just iPhone.

They're very Motorola.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hello, Moto Apple. :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Stupid names.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

As per usual.. the Apple Store site is down... after all the chat about AirPods, I went to check the price of them stateside as I'll be in New York in 3 weeks.. I'm hoping it'll be a nice Apple shopping trip if stock allows :)

Side note... XS Max is horrific... sounds cheap (I don't know why... it just does...)...

TK Max... that's why...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sound quality of AirPods ain't great they ain't going to compete with in-ears with better sound isolation or over-ears that have the internal volume to pack more tech in, but you're not buying them for that. You're buying them for the sheer convenience of having decent enough ear buds that are wireless and the entire package fits in the coin pocket of your jeans with decent battery life. No one has come close to this in the two years since AirPods were announced, and just shows how far ahead Apple got with these.

What do you mean that others haven't come close, which aspect?
    My wireless earphones have over twice the battery of AirPods (12 hours vs 5), are 100 bucks cheaper and have much better sound. Mine do have a wire between the two ears which is something I wanted, but I'm sure there are other contenders without if people care about that. I do like the little charging thing they slot into though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

godtabh wrote: »
    Stupid names.

Whats stupid? The last phone was the X and they added an S like they do every 2nd year. Not understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

With the stupid names does that mean the stupid notch is staying? (Yea I know it can be turned off)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Whats stupid? The last phone was the X and they added an S like they do every 2nd year. Not understanding.

What's stupid is in 2yrs time when we get the iPhone XIS Max, I'm still wondering where the iPhone 9 went.

Advertisement