Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of Change Reciepts on Dublin Bus Services.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Tickityboo wrote: »
    I said this a few years ago (can't find the post)that once go ahead starts that there will miraculously be a simplified fare structure.

Well, this is coming as part of busconnects.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Less than handling cash I would say. One thing I wonder is what will happen to de-safers working for DB and GAI once cashless buses are introduced I guess they'll be redeployed perhaps as drivers.

Most likely used for cleaning, refueling, moving of buses, retrained to service machines maybe or redundancy a possibility.

Hard to know but I'm sure they would have something to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

CatInABox wrote: »
    Well, this is coming as part of busconnects.....

Busconnects wasn't a thing then!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

No more change tickets!

I hope they advertise that really well. Drivers are going to get it in the neck from angry customers as it is.

Why get rid of the change ticket? Why does cashless need steps ?

I guess it's because the NTA want to icentivise people to get a Leap card before completely abandoning cash. I presume they are getting rid of the change tickets because people would be confused where to go to get change from Go-Ahead tickets as they wouldn't be able to get it from the DB offices.

Cashless would be even better but that would create even more anger and confusion than getting rid of change tickets if was done now.

I guess it’s because the NTA can’t or won’t impose a fare system on Dublin Bus that would allow for proper use of leap cards without queueing up to speak to the driver first. Abandoning change receipts looks catchy, and that’s what matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

xper wrote: »
    Hmmm, does "all fare revenue" mean just the 'correct' fare or the fare plus the overpayments? Or does a gross cost contract operator get to keep the overpayments?

All fare revenue means exactly that - ALL, they keep all including the overpayments, in fairness to DB they do provide a lot of the unclaimed money to charity under the Community Spirit Initiative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

devnull wrote: »
    The interesting bit in the release from Dublin Bus is the bit that says the extra payments will continue being used to help improve their services, since it's often been said on here and elsewhere that all the money was donated to the community fund, which now appears not to be the case.

Have never come across any DB statements which claimed all was donated, rather they implied some was donated. In fact there was a parliamentary question on the matter a few years ago where DB confirmed only some of it was given to charity, with the rest retained by DB with a rolling fund for payouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,772 ✭✭✭ebbsy

At the end of the day, it will not impact so many as they d'ont pay for the bus anyway.

Only the actual fare paying public will be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Over payment receipts will now be issued instead of refund receipts.

It seems to me that they are purposely are trying to make everything as awkward and as slow as they can.

First with the last fare increase . They could have rounded 2.85 better. Why the 5c?

It is easy to tap .15c change receipt for 3 euro payments. Now people are going to be thumbing for the exact change. Holding the bus up.

Its bad enough dealing with idiots who stand and wait 15 mins at the bus stop, and choose to sort out change in front of the driver.

Now every cash payer will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

It seems to me that they are purposely are trying to make everything as awkward and as slow as they can.

First with the last fare increase . They could have rounded 2.85 better. Why the 5c?

It is easy to tap .15c change receipt for 3 euro payments. Now people are going to be thumbing for the exact change. Holding the bus up.

Its bad enough dealing with idiots who stand and wait 15 mins at the bus stop, and choose to sort out change in front of the driver.

Agree on the rounding. For as long as they are going to incentive non cash payments rather than forcing them , we will see this.

Flat fare of €5 for all journeys and routes would probably get that 70% leap card usage up to the 95-98% range.

The whole point all be it very very slow is to get away from cash...

Big plus.

The process is very slow and needs to be just fixed now.

I believe they are leaving the rest for bus connect as to make it look even better as dwell times will be slashed.

Right away education could speed things up big time.

Buses have ad boards and a sound system (p.a) that they could educate all those with student leap especially and others of course that they have a cash cap of €5 and that's all a day costs.

They still all come to the driver even when this cap has been reached and look for €1.50 and €2.15 fares but yet could easily use the reader at the door speeding the whole process up right away.

Leap has auto top up but yet many still get on with no credit and moan and huff and puff and then start looking for change.

If you look at the machine screen it shows you how much credit is left and also the cap for the day.

Anyone still paying cash is seriously needing a kick up the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,772 ✭✭✭ebbsy

"Swedish buses have not taken cash for years, it is impossible to buy a ticket on the Stockholm metro with cash, retailers are legally entitled to refuse coins and notes, and street vendors – and even churches – increasingly prefer card or phone payments".

But then again, we ain't Sweden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Change receipts were only brought in because Dublin bus stopped giving change in the 90's. People should be well used to having the exact fare by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

It will be because they won't want to have those extra costs such as a head office which the public can arrive at.

Costs will be lower.

More likely profits will be higher

daheff wrote: »
    More likely profits will be higher

???

Costs lower tends to mean better profit¿??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Heard him on the last word around 5:30 claiming that it's an illegal move - which it's not, there's no obligation to make change, retailers do by convention (becasue they would lose customers, to their competition), but it's not a legal requirement. Not that Matt would ever pick him up on his inaccuracies.

What a fool.

They are playing him on 98fm news every time.

It's an outrage yada yada.....

No the outrage is the way working people can't afford to live in Dublin....

If you feel so bad get a leap card as this is the plan all along.

He really doesn't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What a fool.

They are playing him on 98fm news every time.

It's an outrage yada yada.....

No the outrage is the way working people can't afford to live in Dublin....

If you feel so bad get a leap card as this is the plan all along.

He really doesn't have a clue.

Robert Troy complaining about this happening before a cashless system is introduced.

What's Leap?

I despair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭john boye

I would bet any money he has never heard of a leap card and has no idea how few use cash.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Robert Troy complaining about this happening before a cashless system is introduced.

What's Leap?

I despair

And he is supposed to be FF's Transport Spokesman too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

GM228 wrote: »
    Have never come across any DB statements which claimed all was donated, rather they implied some was donated. In fact there was a parliamentary question on the matter a few years ago where DB confirmed only some of it was given to charity, with the rest retained by DB with a rolling fund for payouts.

I never saw a statement from Dublin Bus saying it was all donated to the fund, but on the other hand I never saw a statement from them that implied that it was being at least partially spent on anything else, my point was, often I've seen it claimed on here and other discussion sites that all the money was donated to charity, which now we know not to be the case.
    DivingDuck wrote: »
    Now have access to an NFC Android phone, it is considerably less useless to me, but there are undeniably a number of problems with the Leap system as a lot of people (basically all iPhone users) still can't do this.

Unfortunately Apple have decided not to allow their NFC functionality to work with apps from external companies so there is nothing that the NTA can do about this particular issue until Apple stop trying to control everything so much and give their customers a bit more freedom to decide how they want to use their device.
    It's ridiculous they're getting rid of the refund receipts now; they should have delayed this until their electronic system can support, at the very least, the use of contactless debit cards on boarding.

Unfortunately this is not something that the current ticket machines support as they are based on 20 year old technology. Aircoach are the only people who have been using contactless on their full fleet and that was a rather recent installation that had to involve some custom design work.
    Perhaps it would be a good idea to print on all cash tickets what the fare would be if it was paid if it was paid using a Leap card.

Paper tickets could have the following wording printed on them.

Adult Single Cash: €3.30

With a Leap card this fare would be: €2.60 saving you: €0.70
    For more info on savings see Leapcard.ie

The current ticket machines simply do not have the capacity to hold any more information in them than they already have, let alone have the space to have extra functionality programmed into them such as the above.

The reason that they're going for a over payment receipt is they can pretty much do that overnight by changing a few words and not need to program any additional functionality so it won't cause any ticket machine problems.

The fact is we have a 20 year old ticketing system, new functionality needs new ticket machines so we either adapt what functionality we have or make no changes at all until new machines come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

john boye wrote: »
    I would bet any money he has never heard of a leap card and has no idea how few use cash.

I asked this last night. How many journeys are paid in cash? Surely if it was only a couple of percent they would have included that in their justification for example this will only effect x number of customers out of y total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

heroics wrote: »
    I asked this last night. How many journeys are paid in cash? Surely if it was only a couple of percent they would have included that in their justification for example this will only effect x number of customers out of y total.

70% of Dublin Bus passengers use Leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Look, this is all a storm in a teacup. Marketing for LEAP is poor IMV regarding the occasional user of PT who currently uses cash. Look at McGregor's father in his Boss suit for example!

I know that getting rid of cash fares will take time, but it needs to be ramped up now.

A flat fare on Leap is imperative too. The dwell time on buses for those not using the read machine is just incredible. I suppose it will happen in time for Bus Connects.

Anyway those who pay cash won't get change or a refund. Good move. Invest a fiver in a LEAP card and you are good to go. The fiver is your emergency stash remember! I still blame LEAP for not marketing this product aggressively enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Here is a photo of notice.

No more change.....

Very poorly written and unclear poster!

Are we right?

Trying to be far too clever.

They need a simple notice:

FROM XX/XX/XX
    NO CHANGE WILL BE GIVEN ON CASH FARES.
    CHANGE RECEIPTS WILL NO LONGER BE ISSUED.

I appreciate they want to move on from cash, but they will still confuse people and they will be the passengers who are hardest to communicate with and most unfamiliar with the service.

There's no point in trying to turn it into a positive story. It's a removal of a facility to convenience the companies involved and push people over to Leap.

KD345 wrote: »
    70% of Dublin Bus passengers use Leap.

I saw that and there was nearly 140 million journeys on Dublin bus last year. That makes nearly 40 million journeys not using leap. Hardly an insignificant number of people that will be effected by this.

Reason I asked again was someone said last night that the 30% probably includes free travel but I can’t find any figures for that.

For casual users, an ability to pay using EMV - Visa, MasterCard, ApplePay, Google Pay etc would make a lot of sense.

I'd assume they'd only do it if it wasn't going to cost them money though.

Look, this is all a storm in a teacup. Marketing for LEAP is poor IMV regarding the occasional user of PT who currently uses cash. Look at McGregor's father in his Boss suit for example!

I know that getting rid of cash fares will take time, but it needs to be ramped up now.

A flat fare on Leap is imperative too. The dwell time on buses for those not using the read machine is just incredible. I suppose it will happen in time for Bus Connects.

Anyway those who pay cash won't get change or a refund. Good move. Invest a fiver in a LEAP card and you are good to go. The fiver is your emergency stash remember! I still blame LEAP for not marketing this product aggressively enough though.

But what about the occasional used that don’t want to have to carry a leap card for the one or two times a year I get the bus

Occasional bus users are also much less likely to know what the exact fare is

I don't use Irish busses that often, but I was on a Bus Éireann service in Cork and I found the whole Leap Card experience slow. I tapped the card and it didn't read and had to be left on the machine. There was a bit of a collective sigh as I held up the queue expecting the system to work like every other bus system I've used in Europe i.e. tap and board.

If they've flat fares, they could also use multiple validators scattered around the bus, common elsewhere.

The dwell times in Ireland are generally very long compared to what you see elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Nermal

heroics wrote: »
    But what about the occasional used that don’t want to have to carry a leap card for the one or two times a year I get the bus

Occasional bus users are also much less likely to know what the exact fare is

Because reducing dwell times helps commuters, and commuters are more important than occasional users. Why would a bus system be designed around people who use it 'one or two times a year'? Obviously, if other NFC cards/devices could be made to work - great. That they don't work yet is no reason to hold up cashless flat fare ticketing. Watching a tourist negotiating a journey with a driver in broken English and fumbling through coinage makes me feel like I'm living in the bloody stone age.

Advertisement