Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of Change Reciepts on Dublin Bus Services.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Stephen15 wrote: »
    If people are worried about not getting change they should get a Leap card. The buses will all going well be cashless soon enough and hopefully the option of contactless will also become an option.

In fairness if I could just use Apple/Android Pay/contactless bank card that would be fine. I only carry the bare minimum in the wallet. I got a leap card last year and have no idea where it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

heroics wrote: »
    In fairness if I could just use Apple/Android Pay/contactless bank card that would be fine. I only carry the bare minimum in the wallet. I got a leap card last year and have no idea where it is.

That's meant to be coming in as part of bus connects. There needs to be new validators which allow contactless and mobile payments.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

What about customers that don’t regularly get the bus or are getting a different route. I have no idea how much the fare is.

If you went to Tesco to buy your groceries and they didn’t give change people would stop shopping there. Not much choice with the bus.

It's so easy and cheap to get a leap card I really don't think that this is a valid argument tbh.

Some people just need a kick up the hole to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

How about have bank cards work also like they do for the tube before going down this route?

G_R wrote: »
    It's so easy and cheap to get a leap card I really don't think that this is a valid argument tbh.

Some people just need a kick up the hole to switch.

It’s just an extra thing to carry for the occasional use. Makes perfect sense if using public transport regularly. For example I use bus/dart Luas probably 3 or 4 times a year. For me a leap card is a pita

As above if they accepted contactless I wouldn’t have a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

It’s just an extra thing to carry for the occasional use. Makes perfect sense if using public transport regularly. For example I use bus/dart Luas probably 3 or 4 times a year. For me a leap card is a pita

As above if they accepted contactless I wouldn’t have a problem.

Yet they'll all have their Costa, Valueclub or Tesco Club card on them.

Leap could be made a bit easier I.e. key fob card or NFC mobile but its really not a challenge to have it

Just as a matter of interest does anyone have the stars on how many bus journeys were paid in cash as opposed to leap? Since leap is so brilliant I presume this is a tiny percentage.

Actually just did. A quick google all I could find was 70% of journeys in Dublin bus in 2017 were leap and there was 139million journeys. That still leaves a sizeable number of passengers that have not moved to leap. (Approx 39million journeys) based on those numbers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Just as a matter of interest does anyone have the stars on how many bus journeys were paid in cash as opposed to leap? Since leap is so brilliant I presume this is a tiny percentage.

Actually just did. A quick google all I could find was 70% of journeys in Dublin bus in 2017 were leap and there was 139million journeys. That still leaves a sizeable number of passengers that have not moved to leap. (Approx 39million journeys) based on those numbers.

Is that including free travel passes? If not, I'd image they count for a large majority of that 39m.

Anecdotally, i use the bus 4 times and a very small percentage use cash

Leap could be made a bit easier I.e. key fob card or NFC mobile but its really not a challenge to have it

I carry bank cards/driving licence/health ins and sons u6 med card that’s it. A lot of times I just carry the mobile and use Apple Pay or cash if i need anything.

G_R wrote: »
    Is that including free travel passes? If not, I'd image they count for a large majority of that 39m.

Anecdotally, i use the bus 4 times and a very small percentage use cash

Not sure tbh was just a quick google maybe someone here has better figures.

• Advertisement

Regarding leap being "brilliant" , and ignoring your belligerence, which isn't necessary to make your point, I would say 70% is good up take from those who "get it" , the remainder will need to be forced (a bit like how baggage charges on airlines suddenly made people able to travel lighter).

This happens in every change management scenario , there are always those who are slow on the uptake or "don't like change" (pardon the pun)

Tbh I was just giving a different point of view. Most of the posts seemed to only be in favour of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Ah sure before I started using the leap card in the past 6 months, the drivers wouldn't give the change receipt without having to ask for it anyways.

If people don't have the wherewithal to use a Leap card and be able to hold on to it then I seriously doubt they'd be bothered keeping change vouchers to collect at DB HQ.

Tbh I was just giving a different point of view. Most of the posts seemed to only be in favour of this.

Hard not to be , it's pure logic.
    As for being unable or willing to carry a leap card, anybody that precious will surely have the limo on speed dial :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

The vast majority of the time, I have two credit cards and a debit card in my wallet, along with a twenty, and about a fiver in change. That's all.

Not everyone carries around a ton of useless loyalty cards, and certainly not all of the time.

As for Leap: I've had one for years, but never bothered using it because checking the balance required registration, and from home I had no means to add credit to it unless I walked five to ten minutes away from where I would go to get the bus to do so. Now have access to an NFC Android phone, it is considerably less useless to me, but there are undeniably a number of problems with the Leap system as a lot of people (basically all iPhone users) still can't do this.

It's ridiculous they're getting rid of the refund receipts now; they should have delayed this until their electronic system can support, at the very least, the use of contactless debit cards on boarding.

No other business would get away with this malarkey, but Dublin Bus do because of their captive market. It's not fair to their customers.

If people don't have the wherewithal to use a Leap card and be able to hold on to it then I seriously doubt they'd be bothered keeping change vouchers to collect at DB HQ.

Last time I had them I gave them to charity. If all of the money from now on went to charity and was transparent then that wouldn’t bother me either. I just think it’s premature doing this before introducing contactless payments

Hard not to be , it's pure logic.
    As for being unable or willing to carry a leap card, anybody that precious will surely have the limo on speed dial :)

Logic would be not to introduce this until contactless was an option

Or to avail of the min 20% saving by getting a leap card , or to have the correct change for your journey. Contactless would be great but it's irrelevant in this scenario.

If people want to use the bus get a leap card or bring the right fare. If they can't be bothered doing either then I highly doubt they'd be bothered going to O'Connell Street to get their 20cent back

Perhaps it would be a good idea to print on all cash tickets what the fare would be if it was paid if it was paid using a Leap card.

Paper tickets could have the following wording printed on them.

Adult Single Cash: €3.30

With a Leap card this fare would be: €2.60 saving you: €0.70
    For more info on savings see Leapcard.ie

• Advertisement

Perhaps it would be a good idea to print on all cash tickets what the fare would be if it was paid if it was paid using a Leap card.

Paper tickets could have the following wording printed on them.

Adult Single Cash: €3.30

With a Leap card this fare would be: €2.60 saving you €0.70
    For more info on savings see Leapcard.ie You big overpaying eejet

Fixed that for you

If it was still possible to claim the change then when Go-Ahead takeover their share of the routes, people would essentially have to go to two separate locations to be able to claim their change depending on what route they are using which would just create unesscary confusion. That's the logic behind this.

Or to avail of the min 20% saving by getting a leap card , or to have the correct change for your journey. Contactless would be great but it's irrelevant in this scenario.

If people want to use the bus get a leap card or bring the right fare. If they can't be bothered doing either then I highly doubt they'd be bothered going to O'Connell Street to get their 20cent back

Contactless is not irrelevant in this scenario. Just because you can’t support it doesn’t make it irrelevant. If I use the bus once a year and the leap costs 5€ to buy and min 5€ credit then 20% savings means nothing.

I know the initial 5€ is refundable but that just adds hassle. If they really wanted to get customers to stop using cash then accept contactless for occasional users and leap for the rest.

Contactless is not irrelevant in this scenario. Just because you can’t support it doesn’t make it irrelevant. If I use the bus once a year and the leap costs 5€ to buy and min 5€ credit then 20% savings means nothing.

I know the initial 5€ is refundable but that just adds hassle. If they really wanted to get customers to stop using cash then accept contactless for occasional users and leap for the rest.

Leap card is essentially free. The deposit is just that, a deposit and I really don't see how that can be "hassle"

Contactless will be nice but it's not necessary and doesn't form a barrier to utilising the technology they do have which to be fair is a stable and competitive cashless option.

Its 1am and I'm debating leap cards :) ‚ So we'll agree to disagree

It's easier to claim back the €5 deposit from a Leap card then it is to claim the 10 or 20 cent you overpayed in cash from O'Connell Street

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Met with the response of "you are fully entitled to walk if you don't have to foresight to get a bus fare right"

Pretty much what I do these days, since after giving them well over a decade DB have utterly failed to get a bus service right. Still, maybe next century ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭howiya

It's easier to claim back the €5 deposit from a Leap card then it is to claim the 10 or 20 cent you overpayed in cash from O'Connell Street

Forgot the Leap Card the other week and didn't have any change. Would have had to go to the shop to get change so just bought a second leap card instead of getting change.

Registered the card online and claimed the €7.85 refund.

Got to thinking afterwards, how much does a transaction like that cost the NTA? The card itself, payzone commission and processing the refund payment?

howiya wrote: »
    Forgot the Leap Card the other week and didn't have any change. Would have had to go to the shop to get change so just bought a second leap card instead of getting change.

Registered the card online and claimed the €7.85 refund.

Got to thinking afterwards, how much does a transaction like that cost the NTA? The card itself, payzone commission and processing the refund payment?

Less than handling cash I would say. One thing I wonder is what will happen to de-safers working for DB and GAI once cashless buses are introduced I guess they'll be redeployed perhaps as drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

DivingDuck wrote: »

but there are undeniably a number of problems with the Leap system as a lot of people (basically all iPhone users) still can't do this.

iPhones can't encode data onto a tag, Android can - Apple are supposed to be enabling it this year

Not a Leap card / app problem, more a phone manufacturer with notions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Funny how this happens on the first day Go ahead start their operation.....

I said this a few years ago (can't find the post)that once go ahead starts that there will miraculously be a simplified fare structure.

Advertisement