Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal Cycle Path - Be Careful

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

sheriff2 wrote: »
    The bridge itself is an eyesore plus phones constantly been snatched by lads on bikes there, this just gives them an easier escape route

The whole area is a kip it's hardly blemishing the lush surroundings

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

sheriff2 wrote: »
    The bridge itself is an eyesore plus phones constantly been snatched by lads on bikes there, this just gives them an easier escape route

You mean the new bridge? It hasn't even been finished yet. Why is it an eyesore? Does it block your view of some beautiful social housing flats, or the view of the train sheds at Connolly Station?

I think part of the problem on the outer parts of the Grand Canal as discussed on this thread has been drug pushers being displaced from residential areas onto the canal.

While drug pushing might go on, I don't see this as a huge safety issue.
    It's the scummers out to mug people that you need to worry about.
    There's a drug clinic a few hundred metres towards town, and the worst you need to worry about is them walking in front of you in a druggie haze.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Effects wrote: »
    While drug pushing might go on, I don't see this as a huge safety issue.
    It's the scummers out to mug people that you need to worry about.
    I was connecting the two phenomenon. Am I being presumptuous? People selling drugs and people desperate for cash.

I was connecting the two phenomenon. Am I being presumptuous? People selling drugs and people desperate for cash.

Presumptuous but completely correct.

Anto: can i get some blow?
    Deano: sure, that'll be 20 quid.
    Anto: I've only 7.
    Deano: i bet that man walking his dog has 13.
    Anto: ok back in a minute.

Anto: ok i got 20.
    Deano: good because the price just went up to 27.

• Advertisement

I changed that to be a little more accurate.
    Presumptuous but completely correct.
    Anto: can i get some blow?
    Deano: sure, that'll be 20 quid.
    Anto: I've only 7.
    Deano: i bet that man walking his dog has some money.
    Anto: ok back in a minute.
    Anto: Can you spare €2 for a hostel?
    Repeat x 7

Anto: ok i got 20.
    Deano: grand, here you go, see you tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

I went from pretty much the M50 to that weird red bridge with the slippy cheese grater surface this evening at 17:00, the canal's not part of my usual routes.

I thought the crap weather would kept everyone indoors, but I passed two lads each on their own and two lads together under a bridge, all with their faces covered, just standing around like sentries. Creeeepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

buffalo wrote: »
    I went from pretty much the M50 to that weird red bridge with the slippy cheese grater surface this evening at 17:00, the canal's not part of my usual routes.

I thought the crap weather would kept everyone indoors, but I passed two lads each on their own and two lads together under a bridge, all with their faces covered, just standing around like sentries. Creeeepy.

Sure the Canadian Goose jackets are a great invention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

That bridge is lethal in anything but the driest weather, the cheese grater is supposed to provide grip but the smooth sections between them are very slippy. I've come across several cyclists on the ground here in the last few years.

That is exactly what they are, plus runners for drugs in fairness when they are about they tend to keep the others in check so that attention isn't drawn to the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

bazermc wrote: »
    Sure the Canadian Goose jackets are a great invention

Canada Goose. Every scobey in town is wearing them now. I remember looking at getting one for skiing, but they use real fur in the hoods, so that put me off.

Also bloody expensive - if legit. Which they may not be..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Canada Goose. Every scobey in town is wearing them now. I remember looking at getting one for skiing, but they use real fur in the hoods, so that put me off.

Also bloody expensive - if legit. Which they may not be..

Doubt their dole money enables then to buy these jackets from anywhere except Meath street.

all with their faces covered,

I think they like to call it "no face, no case".

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Doubt their dole money enables then to buy these jackets from anywhere except Meath street.

To save people looking, legit entry level goose jacket goes for about a grand.

Not if I'd won the euro millions would I pay that for a coat, but I was stood beside some young lads over christmas at the cinema with to my eyes at least real looking ones and they were no more than 15 or 16 and the look was topped off with a pair of nike and some raggy tracksuit bottoms :D

Just had a look at their website. €175 for a wooly hat. No thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Someone my dad works with was attacked either on, or just coming off the royal canal near Cabra yesterday morning

About 5-6 lads in told at around 5/6 in the morning. Stole his scooter and dumped one of their own (likely stolen) bikes, and left him fairly beaten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

E-scooter?

Absolute cnuts.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Someone my dad works with was attacked either on, or just coming off the royal canal near Cabra yesterday morning

About 5-6 lads in told at around 5/6 in the morning. Stole his scooter and dumped one of their own (likely stolen) bikes, and left him fairly beaten up.

Scumbags!!! Why were they even up at 6am? These parasites usually don't get up until midday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Take a trip into Brown Thomas and you will be amazed at who is buying Canada Goose and Moncler jackets at full retail prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Take a trip into Brown Thomas and you will be amazed at who is buying Canada Goose and Moncler jackets at full retail prices.

Handing over cash.......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Scumbags!!! Why were they even up at 6am? These parasites usually don't get up until midday

I'd wager they hadn't been back to bed yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Likely. I saw some sketchy figures on the canal at 5:30-6am a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 maltanar

I'm one of the cyclists who got beaten up at the lock near Bluebell in December (post #229). I heard this from the Garda today:
    The patrols around the canal are still in place and the feedback from the residents has been very positive thankfully. We have had very little problems in that particular area since the extra patrols were put in place so as far I know they will continue indefinitely.

I was in contact with Waterways Ireland this morning and the CCTV is still not operational around the canal at Bluebell. They are in consultation with Dublin City Council to having new large poles erected on the canal so they cannot be vandalised. They are hoping to have this in place in the next month or so and referred me to Dublin City Council if you need any more information.

Asked them if the patrols are at fixed hours (I expect so, around commute time) - will share if I hear anything more.

In the meantime, sounds like it's best to keep avoiding the canal after dark / in the evenings as CCTV in part of the canal is not yet back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'd say so. That canal is otherwise pretty busy in the mornings and evenings during the week with all sorts of people commuting, walking and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Used it twice yesterday (11:00 and 17:30). Looked like normal society, with people walking prams, dogs, jogging and commuting. No scumbags sighted.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

I saw them at Christmas when I went into brown Thomas.

Yes a lot of drug dealers buy from there. But how many of these parasites are drug dealers?

Check out house of bell on Instagram...that's where they get their fakes as well as the markets

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

I see the boys have made the papers again this weekend.!

https://twitter.com/nicolatallantsw/status/1234210859716575237

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

I think an adult found guilty grooming and using a minor for criminal purposes should face a draconian sentence. I don't know if that is on the statute, but it might focus some of the HR policies of criminal gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

3 scrotes just tried to take my escooter close to the 9th lock around 12pm. Blocked my path with bikes then tried to pull me off it. Managed to squeeze passed them. Rang 999.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It will probably take a death or extremely serious injury before they do anything about this issue -and that could be the thieves being beaten. Vigilantes broke the legs of a 16 year old bike thief a few years ago.

I always here comments like "they are untouchable as they are underage so if you laid a finger on them you'd be arrested", but I do not recall seeing many people over 18 being put in jail for hitting a 16 year old who was trying to rob them. Does it really happen much?

Teenage boy in bicycle theft gang bundled into van and has leg broken by vigilantes
    A 16-year-old boy who is suspected of being part of a gang who are behind a spate of high-end bicycle and car thefts in south Dublin had his leg broken in a suspected vigilante attack.

Gardai are aware of the incident but are unable to carry out a proper investigation into the attack on the south Dublin teenager because he has not made a complaint to gardai.

However detectives have received reports that he was bundled into a van during the alleged incident and assaulted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

3 scrotes just tried to take my escooter close to the 9th lock around 12pm. Blocked my path with bikes then tried to pull me off it. Managed to squeeze passed them. Rang 999.

See along the Inchicore side of the canal graffiti saying House breakers will be shot - INLA
    Can we ask them to extend the message to the little ****ers on the canal!

To be serious, glad you got away with your scooter and unharmed.

Advertisement