Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal Cycle Path - Be Careful

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

Council looking to join both canals via cycleway through Lucan.
    First thing i taught was, now the little ****e's have access to both canals !!Lucan will be like "war of the buttons "
    Seriously though, its great having these new ideas, but without the lack of policing they slowly allow little cun!s to overrun them.

As people have already used the Neatherlands as an example, every train station i passed there had 100s of bikes locked up outside. I left my bike in the carpark at Hueston once and it was stolen !!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/council-aims-to-turn-lucan-into-destination-town-with-2m-project-1.4480201

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

sheriff2 wrote: »
    First thing i taught was, now the little ****e's have access to both canals !!Lucan will be like "war of the buttons "
    Seriously though, its great having these new ideas, but without the lack of policing they slowly allow little cun!s to overrun them.

That section of the Royal Canal is generally quiet in terms of anti social behaviour but I think, hope, there's enough distance between the two for any groups of ****s to wander through Lucan to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

As people have already used the Neatherlands as an example, every train station i passed there had 100s of bikes locked up outside. I left my bike in the carpark at Hueston once and it was stolen !!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/council-aims-to-turn-lucan-into-destination-town-with-2m-project-1.4480201

TBF Bike theft is quite a problem in cities in NL. Probably one of the reasons you see mostly cheap bikes parked in those places rather than high-end bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

As someone who has lived here for 15 years I'd like it to be left alone. Tackle the horrendous traffic and the increase in knife crime and stabbings on the Balgaddy/Neilstown side of Lucan first.

If people don't want to use the canal the N4 has many points of entry in Lucan and has bike lane most of the way into the city centre. It's a decent alternative which I used after years of cycling along the canal. The way back isn't as ideal as it involves going the wrong way from Palmerston towards Woodies to cross over a bridge but it's a relatively quiet route in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

You can't compare the paint on the N4 to a dedicated cycleway along the canal. PreCovid I used the N4 from Leixlip to Lucan or Liffey Valley daily and its an awful place to be on a bike. That lane is largely not fit for purpose, uneven surface, never swept or cleaned, bus stops in it, detours off the main line, transitions back to road level with little marking, kerbs to be mounted you name it, it has it and its largely useless.

I'm all for the canals being linked up, properly lit and policed. Last year after concerned efforts by several people we had patrols and the garda motor bike along the worst stretch a couple of times daily. With pressure these could be reinstated and do something to sort the issues there, I last cycled in July/August and noticed the cameras burned out had all been replaced and some serious anti vandal cameras put in their place so there is some will with the authorities to sort this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

tnegun wrote: »
    You can't compare the paint on the N4 to a dedicated cycleway along the canal. PreCovid I used the N4 from Leixlip to Lucan or Liffey Valley daily and its an awful place to be on a bike. That lane is largely not fit for purpose, uneven surface, never swept or cleaned, bus stops in it, detours off the main line, transitions back to road level with little marking, kerbs to be mounted you name it, it has it and its largely useless.

I'm all for the canals being linked up, properly lit and policed. Last year after concerned efforts by several people we had patrols and the garda motor bike along the worst stretch a couple of times daily. With pressure these could be reinstated and do something to sort the issues there, I last cycled in July/August and noticed the cameras burned out had all been replaced and some serious anti vandal cameras put in their place so there is some will with the authorities to sort this.

I'm not comparing them, just saying there's an alternative route that doesn't deal with gangs of scrotes, isn't riddled with glass and you don't have to contend with traffic on routes such as Nangor Road/Long Mile Road. The bike lane isn't perfect but it's far from the worst which is saying something considering how bad cycling infrastructure is in Ireland.

Our dedicated cycleway isn't much use if it requires Gardai on patrol. It's a shame as I used it daily for years, around 2011-2015, then the reports of increased crime were happening and there was just more people and a ton of dogs off a leash that it started to lose its convenience.

Advertisement