Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal Cycle Path - Be Careful

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

It's so frustrating. I'm due a new BTW bike in April and I'm put off getting one in case it attracts the assh0les..

Also, I'll probably stop using the canal now that the weather is getting nice enough do actually enjoy it again. All because of the scrotes on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

3 scrotes just tried to take my escooter close to the 9th lock around 12pm. Blocked my path with bikes then tried to pull me off it. Managed to squeeze passed them. Rang 999.
    Spoke to a girl on one last week and she said they tried to take hers too on a couple of occasions at the 11th but she got lucky and talked her way out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've been maintaining the same 15 year old bike for commuting for much the same reason even though it would probably be more economical for me to purchase a new bike on the BTW scheme at this point. Don't want to be riding something shiny and nice and locking it up around town.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

sheriff2 wrote: »
    See along the Inchicore side of the canal graffiti saying House breakers will be shot - INLA
    Can we ask them to extend the message to the little ****ers on the canal!

To be serious, glad you got away with your scooter and unharmed.

I had to pass the same location 20 mins later to go back to work but I kept a ulock on the handlebars just in case.

I pass the house,which was in the Sunday world everyday at 12:15 and there’s still the same faces on the same motorbikes dealing. No fear getting caught.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Out of curiosity, what solutions will work?
    Obviously a garda presence will help somewhat but they can't patrol the whole stretch all day, everyday.
    The gate barriers need to go so the stopping points are reduced.
    But what will stop this vermin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

The only immediate solution is regular patrols a couple of guards on bikes randomly moving them on all day everyday. As it is they deal drugs openly without fear, I also suspect there are many stashes along there judging by the activity off the path the guards can't be ignorant to that just have no will or manpower to do anything about it.

tnegun wrote: »
    The only immediate solution is regular patrols a couple of guards on bikes randomly moving them on all day everyday. As it is they deal drugs openly without fear, I also suspect there are many stashes along there judging by the activity off the path the guards can't be ignorant to that just have no will or manpower to do anything about it.

One of the morning, 3 plainclothes were using a sniffer dog along the ditches on the opposite side path to the house.

I’ve dug out the old lock which some fecker snipped to take my old bike. That’ll sting the cheek the next time anyone tries to have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭obi604

I’ve dug out the old lock which some fecker snipped to take my old bike. That’ll sting the cheek the next time anyone tries to have a go.

Don’t get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

obi604 wrote: »
    Don’t get you.

He's going to wallop anyone who tries to mug him with the old lock in the photo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭obi604

He's going to wallop anyone who tries to mug him with the old lock in the photo

Doh. Have ya now.

Little f€ckers prob well prepared for all scenarios. (Except vigilante stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I cycled it yesterday evening at about 16:45 for the first time in probably a year as it seemed to have improved. First evening time cycle, anyway.

There were 4 seriously dodgy looking guys hanging around the gate at Bluebell, spread across the path. All paying close attention to me and the other 2 cyclists that were there at the same time.

It's so peaceful and pleasant for the rest of the way, but it's enough to put me back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I've given up running down there since I stumbled on this thread.
    It used to be a nice part of a 10 miler from work and back up through Clondalkin. Only once did I get hassle when some clowns rode their scrambler beside me for a bit shouting witty comments. Last time I was down there though there was a crowd at the building shown in the Sunday World that watched me like a hawk as I went past so I'm avoiding it

• Registered Users Posts: 10 maltanar

Would it help to organize a larger group ride here (maybe 5-10 cyclists) and ride together in the evenings?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

maltanar wrote: »
    Would it help to organize a larger group ride here (maybe 5-10 cyclists) and ride together in the evenings?
    ...with a view to coming at them from three sides and throwing the skangers into the canal.

Back down it for the first time in a long time.

Fewer feral teens , a lot of dodgy drug addicts on the opposite side near that run down house that was in the Sunday World

What a waste of infrastructure, I never noticed them there before until that article.

maltanar wrote: »

Some sort of hang on at the lights at blackhorse until there is two or three of you during rush hour would be something I'd support.

Back down it for the first time in a long time.

Fewer feral teens , a lot of dodgy drug addicts on the opposite side near that run down house that was in the Sunday World

What a waste of infrastructure, I never noticed them there before until that article.

I was passing the house this afternoon and got talking to a lad laying the fiber for the new cameras. There was a Garda car parked in front of the van with a Garda reading his phone. Turns out they were threatened by a group from the house, that the van would be burnt out if they kept working. His lads wouldn’t get out of the van and he was having to work on his own. There was four over at the front of the house with hoods up looking over at us. Weren’t bothered by the Garda car.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I doubt that would be any use, they are springy and could whip back and injure yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Once the pole is set up they'll burn tyres below it for a while. Has two results: firstly as long as the tyres are burning, the smoke obscures what they're up to. Secondly, the residue in the smoke sticks to the camera lens and makes it difficult to see what's going on. They did the same at the illegal dumping beside the halting site in Spawell.

Only solution is continual Garda harassment, arrest them, lock them up, let them out; rinse and repeat. Or at the very least drive them somewhere else.

But this won't happen due to too few spots in prisons, very few recidivism programs and the fact that the free legal aid carry on for them keeps a fair few solicitors in money. No judge is going to shlt on their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

KevRossi wrote: »
    Only solution is continual Garda harassment, arrest them, lock them up, let them out; rinse and repeat. Or at the very least drive them somewhere else.

But this won't happen due to too few spots in prisons, very few recidivism programs and the fact that the free legal aid carry on for them keeps a fair few solicitors in money. No judge is going to shlt on their own.

Bring in caning like they have in Malaysia and Singapore, three welts across the arse and they might think twice about repeat offening. Won't take up places in prison and the cost that entails.
    Guards arresting them is pointless when there is no justice system and resulting punishment so they've no fear of the law or repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Hidings, its actually the only answer as long as we have Garda inaction (due to no resources to be fair)

There are already cyclists waiting at Blackhorse to go in groups, best to wait there if going up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The house is a known drug spot, can the Gardai not just search people whenever they're around? Surely that would make them feck off somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The house is a known drug spot, can the Gardai not just search people whenever they're around? Surely that would make them feck off somewhere else?
    They've already been displaced from a residential area. It would appear this is the Dublin version of Hamsterdam.

I passed again at 12 today and the lads putting in the cables had a Garda car parked in front of their truck for protection. Ridiculous

A colleague of mine heading home yesterday evening (travelling towards town) was warned by an oncoming cyclist not to go along the canal as the vermin were out (apparently one had a scrambler to intimidate him and others had tried to get a stick into the fellas spokes but he managed to get away).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 maltanar

"Gardaí say Grand Canal crime has 'dramatically declined', despite latest violent incident"

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-8-crime-assaults-attacks-5038828-Mar2020/?fbclid=IwAR3n9_atF5P0Lir4JBdud6F3vruh1djJUFqSu3Uq4s7fHQK0msfuMuNL35I

How's that saying go again? One incident is a tragedy, a thousand incidents is a statistic... Guess they're going for the second interpretation with the "dramatically declined".

I've used the canal in the mornings between 9-10 a couple of times in the last few weeks, but did not come across any Gardai from this dedicated beat patrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If a group of citizens were to go down with some baseball bats I think it could be sorted out fairly quickly as long as we had the numbers. Sign me up.

If a group of citizens were to go down with some baseball bats I think it could be sorted out fairly quickly as long as we had the numbers. Sign me up.
    ...and then it turns out than one of the scrotes in the house has a gun...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

...and then it turns out than one of the scrotes in the house has a gun...

Yeah I was thinking that... What a f*cking ridiculous situation. Garda need to step up here.

Advertisement