Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal Cycle Path - Be Careful

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If a group of citizens were to go down with some baseball bats I think it could be sorted out fairly quickly as long as we had the numbers. Sign me up.

Might be worth carrying some pepper spray with you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

You couldn't carry enough on a bad day could be 10 plus of them

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MissTiny

Mc Love wrote: »
    Might be worth carrying some pepper spray with you

I bought pepper spray from wish.com years ago after a particularly dodgy run in with those feral kids on the canal.

Thankfully I've had no reason to use it since but it gives me a lot of comfort knowing it's always within my reach.

I hope the day never comes that I actually need to use it, if it does though I just hope I don't blind myself in the process. I wouldn't mind blinding a few of them though...ideally followed by a swift kick between the legs while they're incapacitated.

I hate those little monsters so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Sorry folks, forgive my ignorance but I have looked his up with little joy. You guys are giving lock numbers as a description of location, I'm struggling to find where these are situated. I've seen lock 9 mentioned on the last page, is that around the Marble Arch pub? Where is this drug den in relation?

I've not been around there for a long time but I could very well be next week and don't really want to park a rented car too close by.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

theteal wrote: »
    Sorry folks, forgive my ignorance but I have looked his up with little joy. You guys are giving lock numbers as a description of location, I'm struggling to find where these are situated. I've seen lock 9 mentioned on the last page, is that around the Marble Arch pub? Where is this drug den in relation?

I've not been around there for a long time but I could very well be next week and don't really want to park a rented car too close by.
    http://wwi.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=8c1448419f1b4ccd93071b1dd3e28a18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

where exactly is that house? is it the building as you pass Bawnogue in Clondalkin? I've been running the route regularly over the past 5/6 weeks, mostly in daylight. No issues so far.

I think this is it (white blotch on Northers bank, 100m west of the lock)...
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3295765,-6.4114711,99m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I think this is it (white blotch on Northers bank, 100m west of the lock)...
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3295765,-6.4114711,99m/data=!3m1!1e3

ah yes, that's the spot so. I've ran by it from the other side numerous times. There does tend to be a few heads floating around but as I said, no issues so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

theteal wrote: »

openstreetmap has all the lock numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Passed again at 12 today and again, marked Garda car parked with the workers to protect them and the equipment. Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

It will be worse now with an extra bunch off school (if they attend, that is!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I got talking to the lads installing the cabling for the cameras today. They are hoping to be finished next week. they were to put the poles up today but couldn't get the truck under the bridge. Still have a marked Garda car sitting with them with 2 Garda sitting in it across from the house. The foreman even brought his massive dog with him and has it tied to a trailer to ward scrotes off. The dealing has moved to park beside Deansrath College. Same old faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I got talking to the lads installing the cabling for the cameras today. They are hoping to be finished next week. they were to put the poles up today but couldn't get the truck under the bridge. Still have a marked Garda car sitting with them with 2 Garda sitting in it across from the house. The foreman even brought his massive dog with him and has it tied to a trailer to ward scrotes off. The dealing has moved to park beside Deansrath College. Same old faces.

I ran past Wednesday and today mid morning and no sign of anyone at the house, was wondering alright

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MissTiny wrote: »
    I hope the day never comes that I actually need to use it, if it does though I just hope I don't blind myself in the process.
    if you have to use it take a deep breath before doing so, and run like hell awasy from it. It is not like the movies where you see people spraying a big mist and being OK.

We got some and wanted to test if it was legit or not, as it was got on ebay, so outside sprayed the tiniest amount possible, at hands length and then backed off, 3 or 4 of us totally fcuked, coughing and stung eyes.

I see legit cop videos of them spraying at close quarters so can only think their stuff must be diluted more or something as anybody near it would be screwed if it was the same stuff I experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 maltanar

tnegun wrote: »

copy/pasting from AGS Facebook:

"Members of the Divisional Drug Unit based out of Ballyfermot Garda station have carried out an operation targeting drug dealing along the canal banks in Clondalkin.

On 03/04/2020 based on intelligence gathered Gardaí located three males in a tent hidden in a dense undergrowth. A search of the tent revealed a drug packaging and distribution facility. Cannabis valued at €15,080, Crack Cocaine to the value of €6,400 and Dimorphine worth €15,960 were seized.

All three males were arrested and are currently detained under Section 2 of the Criminal Justice (Drug Trafficking) Act 1996 at Clondalkin and Ballyfermot Garda Stations.

Follow up searches carried out in the surrounding area involving the Garda Dog Unit resulted in the discovery of 108 packets of cigarettes and other tobacco products valued at approximately €1,400.

These operations representative a significant disruption in drug dealing activity along the canal in Clondalkin."

I was cycling up towards Grangecastle at the 10th Louth this morning and a security mini van passed me going the opposite way on the towpath

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

niallo32 wrote:
    I was cycling up towards Grangecastle at the 10th Louth this morning and a security mini van passed me going the opposite way on the towpath

Are you sure it was security and not a rubbish bin collector? They are usually there around 7.30 in the morning when I commute.

Its Manguard plus collecting rubbish in a security van!

• Advertisement

It was Manguard alright, ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭cletus

Its Manguard plus collecting rubbish in a security van!

Have they to double up on the because of the covid?

cletus wrote: »
    Have they to double up on the because of the covid?
    Manguard are the security for GC Business Park so it wouldn't surprise me if they also managed the bins for SDCC at this time.

Manguard have been emptying bins on this stretch for at least 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Passed some of the worst spots at the 10th/11th locks on a spin a month or so back, the lighting has been replaced and they've installed some serious new camera towers it would take a tank to take the new ones out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

Passed some of the worst spots at the 10th/11th locks on a spin a month or so back, the lighting has been replaced and they've installed some serious new camera towers it would take a tank to take the new ones out!!

haha we shall wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Saw this this morning...bike robbed a few days ago.

https://twitter.com/Jordanw257/status/1297548058188746754

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

How are we continuing to allow this to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Advertisement