Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal Cycle Path - Be Careful

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Havnt heard of any incidents in a while.

Is anyone still using it ? Is it safe again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Apart from the woman knocked down by the scrambler the other day, haven’t heard much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

Yes still using it stayed away for a about a week when it escalated in October/November. Still have the odd day with the same gang hassling cyclists but thankfully its has just been posturing. I would still tell anyone going past the 9th lock to Lucan after 2pm they do so at their own risk however.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Two tweets...

1. 9th Jan...

https://twitter.com/maltanar/status/1215420919075700736?s=19

2. 17th Jan

https://twitter.com/SNicoullaud/status/1218169695272153088?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I hoped someone canvassed me so I could have a rant and ask what the **** the candidates are doing about the underclass of scum we are developing, indeed paying for when we give our taxes to the State. Paying to do **** like this, clog up our communities with anti social behaviour, use up resources in our health care and housing system. Unfortunately nobody called. But as far as I'm aware no political party actually has a policy on this. If they did I'd say they'd romp home, particularly as was apparent from peter Casey's opportunistic kite flying during the presidential.

I mean is there a branch of sociology that considers how you go about making society better for everyone in it by avoiding producing these kind of people? Unfortunately it looks like all modern political parties are totally laissez faire and there is literally nothing in the political landscape between there and nazism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

Its completely out of hand...and the Gardaí don't seem to care

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

a148pro wrote: »
    I hoped someone canvassed me so I could have a rant and ask what the **** the candidates are doing about the underclass of scum we are developing, indeed paying for when we give our taxes to the State...
    Eoghan Murphy called to my house last week and I let him have it about the increase in crime and especially in drug taking in this country and FG ,'the party of Law and Order', have done fek all to get a handle on it.
    How many extra prison places or new prisons have they built in the past 7 years I asked?
    He looked at me like I had 2 heads and that I was something that had arrived in from the 1950's. I got some half muttered spiel about increased resources given to Gardai but that was it.

We don't do prisons in this country anymore. There seems to be some middle class guilt amongst the D4 set abut sending habitual criminals to jail

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

tnegun wrote: »
    Yes still using it stayed away for a about a week when it escalated in October/November. Still have the odd day with the same gang hassling cyclists but thankfully its has just been posturing. I would still tell anyone going past the 9th lock to Lucan after 2pm they do so at their own risk however.

I have started to come off it, and cycle up the ninth lock road, it's actually not bad once you get on the bike path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭thebourke

any word on the girl that was injured by the kid on the scrambler?i cycle that path every day to work....

The problem with prison is that it costs a lot. We should only be using it as a last resort. Prior to that my concern is that these people are not taught at an early age that this kind of behaviour is not acceptable. They see enough of it around them growing up that is unchallenged and can also attract status among some in their communities. I think we have to address it there first. Stop allowing people go around their communities shouting, disrespecting other people, using drugs and committing petty crime, littering / dumping, vandalizing, bullying / throwing their weight around against neighbours. Stop giving these people free money and housing when they do this. Criminalize them for doing this, or at least punish them in some way instead of just turning a blind eye because the powers that be don't live in those communities.

To build more prisons you either have to raise taxes or close schools / hospitals. I think there's more cost efficient ways of doing this. Particularly if we involved respected people in those communities and a heavier and better informed garda presence. And made society fairer for people who choose the right path.

Thereafter the fact that for some of them going to prison is a status symbol and involves very little mandatory rehabilitation or requiring to learn alternative life skills is the next problem.

• Advertisement

thebourke wrote: »
    any word on the girl that was injured by the kid on the scrambler?i cycle that path every day to work....

I mean this is a case on point - I used to live right where that happened, used to bring my kids out walking on the canal, great resource, but those ***** would be out on their scramblers wrecking it for anyone using it. Who buys or allows their kids to use scramblers in public places, after the long list of serious incidents, including people killing themselves in accidents? Some are recounted here but they don't even include the poor guy left brain damaged after a scrambler landed on him in darndale, or a fatality on Christmas day a couple of years back

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/woman-seriously-injured-after-being-hit-by-teenager-on-scrambler-bike-1.4157364?mode=amp

I mean who does that? Why do we tolerate it? Why is there no come back for them or their parents? Are we honestly saying that gardai don't have the powers to seize scramblers or criminalize this? You could pass a law in the morning which would achieve that, how are we living in a society that does not deal with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Are we honestly saying that gardai don't have the powers to seize scramblers or criminalize this? You could pass a law in the morning which would achieve that, how are we living in a society that does not deal with this?

I can't understand how they haven't passed a law to ban using them in parks.
    Even if the bikes are legally owned, they should be confiscated and not returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Effects wrote: »
    I can't understand how they haven't passed a law to ban using them in parks.
    Even if the bikes are legally owned, they should be confiscated and not returned.

We do not need new laws... we need the ones that exist to be enforced. Guards could confiscate these on any number of reasons already, they do not.

I think we probably need both

I think we probably need both

If the guards stop me driving without tax, insurance or licence... will they let me on my way? The have the power to lift my car, so why are these scramblers any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

mloc123 wrote: »
    We do not need new laws... we need the ones that exist to be enforced. Guards could confiscate these on any number of reasons already, they do not.
    It's (very) interesting to watch the stance of the Parents Against Road Carnage group. They seem to have taken the stance that roads enforcement and administration (confiscation of licenses) should take precedence.

What laws can they use to enforce confiscation?
    If the guards stop me driving without tax, insurance or licence... will they let me on my way? The have the power to lift my car, so why are these scramblers any different?

Because they generally don't use them on public roads, so they don't need tax, licence or insurance. Isn't that the jist of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

They frequently do use them on public roads but bolt to green areas at any hint of a garda response and the garda then give up. The they're not breaking any law or we have difficulty deciding if road traffic law should apply is BS.
    These bikes are kept at home which has a public road outside and driven on a public road to green area/canal to cause nuisance. It would not take much detective work to figure out where they are kept. A sustained clamp down for 3/4 weeks would get most and then once every few months for several days would keep them under control. There is no will to do it is the issue.

What laws can they use to enforce confiscation?

Because they generally don't use them on public roads, so they don't need tax, licence or insurance. Isn't that the jist of it?

And how are they getting these scramblers from their houses to the parks and canal? What about 'dangerous driving'? I still feel if one day I decided to get in my car, drive to the local park and start doing laps of the grass... the guards would be pretty quick to take my car from me.

The solution to everything here is "we need a new law"... we don't, we need to enforce the ones that exist.

I see them use bikes over in fairview park, but mainly during the warmer months.
    I've also seen them push the bikes to get there a lot more than riding them on the streets.

I used to call the Gardai about it but found they just didn't bother doing anything about it.

Had a close call a few years ago where they were driving a stolen bike on the main path and were aiming for myself and partner to scare us.
    I ended up knocking the lad off at one pass, and we were trying to avoid them on the grass at that stage.

Managed to fend them off from attacking us on the main road as the Gardai showed up. They did fück all about it, didn't really want to give us a lift home, away from the group of savages, and then left the stolen motorbike with them.

• Advertisement

I still feel if one day I decided to get in my car, drive to the local park and start doing laps of the grass... the guards would be pretty quick to take my car from me.

Yeah, because you would be an easy target from the Gardai to enforce against.

Teenagers who don't care even if they do manage to get caught are harder to deal with, so they generally don't bother with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Yeah, because you would be an easy target from the Gardai to enforce against.

Teenagers who don't care even if they do manage to get caught are harder to deal with, so they generally don't bother with them.

Not just the teenagers/kids riding the scramblers but their families also, this is an example of what faces a guard trying to clean up the streets:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The new raised path from North Strand to Sherriff St will prob be full of scum too, given its location.

The new raised path from North Strand to Sherriff St will prob be full of scum too, given its location.
    It's the fact that there is one way in and one way out that is scary. Hopefully it will be high traffic which will alleviate concerns. I don't fancy being trapped in a tight space 60 ft in their air with some scobie.

Yeah, pretty sure it will be full of scum. It's not just a new route, but it's a shortcut between two rough areas.

I don't fancy being trapped in a tight space 60 ft in their air with some scobie.

One is fine. They usually only hunt in packs.

I can't agree with the sentiments re them being rough areas. Locals requested that entries be blocked due to security fears. Plenty (most) of people in these areas are decent law abiding and respectable people that don't deserve to live in fear. I think they're wrong about opening up the place to encourage more traffic. Passive surveillance from increased footfall should be better than limiting access. I'm quite excited about this new route as it opens up more of the city to us, there are not many segregated cycle routes but we can safely get onto the Grand Canal from where I live.

I can't agree with the sentiments re them being rough areas. Plenty (most) of people in these areas are decent law abiding and respectable people that don't deserve to live in fear.

It only takes a small number of bad apples to ruin it for others that live there.
    The route directly joins up two areas which routinely sees anti social behaviour.

I think part of the problem on the outer parts of the Grand Canal as discussed on this thread has been drug pushers being displaced from residential areas onto the canal. The same thing is going to happen all over again with this expensive and valuable piece of infrastructure if communities don't claim this ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

The bridge itself is an eyesore plus phones constantly been snatched by lads on bikes there, this just gives them an easier escape route

Advertisement