Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Nabber wrote: »
    I have read this 6 times. I can't make out what you are saying.

He likes street lights that aren't very bright. Modern street lights are too bright for his liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Nabber wrote: »
    I have read this 6 times. I can't make out what you are saying.

Me too, I guess he means that the leds give off more light.
    And that he does prefer the the light they give out.
    The should may be a typo, it's meant to be shouldn't install led streetlight. Or shouldn't install streetlights.

My 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I just don't like the bright hue from the LEDs they're using. A lower colour temp would be fine.

In any event, the snow to be lit up would be a nice start!

sdanseo wrote: »
    I just don't like the bright hue from the LEDs they're using. A lower colour temp would be fine.

Bit off subject but I can't stand the leds in new cars, they blind you when oncoming. Then when they're behind you it looks as if they are flashing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

I have recently moved back to Slovakia after spending more then a decade in Ireland. We have been blessed with plenty of snow and temperatures below -15C occasionally. Some areas seen snowfalls of decadal proportions. Here a recent video which will reach hearts of all winter and snow lovers :)https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sqEsLJrEIck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Monkeynut wrote: »
    Bit off subject but I can't stand the leds in new cars, they blind you when oncoming. Then when they're behind you it looks as if they are flashing you.

Totally agree!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Periscal wrote: »
    I have recently moved back to Slovakia after spending more then a decade in Ireland. We have been blessed with plenty of snow and temperatures below -15C occasionally. Some areas seen snowfalls of decadal proportions. Here a recent video which will reach hearts of all winter and snow lovers :)https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sqEsLJrEIck

Can't agree more with the sentiments in that video. During severe snow events (like last winter/spring), the local community where I live, which is rather rural, all help each other and people meet up and interact with each other more than with any other scenario, weather or non-weather related. Despite being literally snowbound in my village when heavy snow strikes, knowing that you're going to meet up with some many neighbours for a catch-up, whether it be just popping up for a few hot whiskies or calling into an elderly neighbour for a chat and to ensure all is ok with them really gives me such a great feeling.

The community is so close knit here that any person who might run into difficulties during a severe weather spell is more or less guaranteed to be assisted and get their issue sorted, whether it be that they've run out of home heating oil and don't have any solid fuel......neighbours will donate some of their own. Or if they've run out of baby food and don't have a suitable vehicle to travel to the nearest village/shop......someone, usually a farmer with a tractor will get to the shop for the essential supplies. During the severe snow last year, a local neighbour made a 14km round trip by foot to the nearest village, through drifts several metres high in places, to get baby food for their neighbour. That person deserves a medal. The neighbour who didn't stock up beforehand has hopefully learnt their lesson!!!!

highdef wrote: »
    That person deserves a medal.
    I say they wouldn't accept it. They seem like very good people. Most are modest when it comes to that.

highdef wrote: »
    The neighbour who didn't stock up beforehand has hopefully learnt their lesson!!!!

She had another baby? :eek:

I say they wouldn't accept it. They seem like very good people. Most are modest when it comes to that.

She had another baby? :eek:

I would agree with that first statement!

As for the baby comment.......Hahahaha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭pauldry

Showing very windy for Saturday.

This is a bolt from the blue.

Oops its the pub run (ignore) but only 60 hours away

Looks potent enough.

Wind events are good coz they can shake things up a bit and it might get us out of this blergh weather we seem to be stuck in

• Advertisement

Yeah, Saturday is looking very unpleasant and Sunday not particularly good for outdoor pursuits either. The rest of the run is also very much a "meh" run and is in complete contrast to yesterdays' pub run, which further backs up the fact that the pub run can throw out literally anything is rarely to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

pauldry wrote: »

Looks potent enough.

Wind events are good coz they can shake things up a bit and it might get us out of this blergh weather we seem to be stuck in

Was shown on the 12z as well

I always find northern gales more potent than our usual westerlies, not sure what it is but they seem to pack more of a punch. I'll be in Dublin at the weekend so will probably miss the stronger winds & showers but looking forward to it all the same

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Feeling much milder now at 9.8C here near Tralee. Very heavy mist /drizzle this evening rolling in off the sea.

temp_uk_lqk5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't know about beast from the east cold, but today was damn cold here- it did not make it above 1.5 c.

As regards the models, it seems that unless unless something happens to shift the lobe of vortex from Canada, we are stuck with cold north westerlies alternating with milder interludes for a while to come. If there is a favourable tropospheric response to the protracted downwelling we should really be seeing it by now in the model output. If we are still seeing the same charts churned out towards the end of Janaury, I think there will be a change in the UK Met Office outlook and other long range forecasts that have predicted blocking in February. That said, there will be snow chances for some within the next 10 days, but I am losing hope for significant snowfall to occur courtesy of a north easterly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

pauldry wrote: »

Looks potent enough.

Were not stuck in anything? We had very mild with HP over the Christmas, this week has been cold with sleet an snow. The weekend is going to be very windy and mild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

sdanseo wrote: »

Yes. I like the idea of LEDS, didn’t like sodium but the colour is too cold white. That said lying snow will look better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't know about beast from the east cold, but today was damn cold here- it did not make it above 1.5 c.

As regards the models, it seems that unless unless something happens to shift the lobe of vortex from Canada, we are stuck with cold north westerlies alternating with milder interludes for a while to come. If there is a favourable tropospheric response to the protracted downwelling we should really be seeing it by now in the model output. If we are still seeing the same charts churned out towards the end of Janaury, I think there will be a change in the UK Met Office outlook and other long range forecasts that have predicted blocking in February. That said, there will be snow chances for some within the next 10 days, but I am losing hope for significant snowfall to occur courtesy of a north easterly.

The easterlies from yesterday look to be already gone. The Atlantic does appear to be firing up again with at least 4 low pressures tracking across from Canada to Ireland between now and February 5th.

Looks like plenty of precipitation from this weekend and some very windy spells too. Northern Ireland , Donegal, Mayo, Cavan and Monaghan may see their fair share of wintry conditions and possible snow over the next 1-2 weeks if there is no changes in the models.

That PV over Canada and the increasingly positive NAO forecast is going to make any sort of blocking/easterly very difficult to achieve in our part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gonzo wrote: »
    The easterlies from yesterday look to be already gone. The Atlantic does appear to be firing up again with at least 4 low pressures tracking across from Canada to Ireland between now and February 5th.

Looks like plenty of precipitation from this weekend and some very windy spells too. Northern Ireland , Donegal, Mayo, Cavan and Monaghan may see their fair share of wintry conditions and possible snow over the next 1-2 weeks if there is no changes in the models.

That PV over Canada and the increasingly positive NAO forecast is going to make any sort of blocking/easterly very difficult to achieve in our part of the world.

Indeed. I think it’s too late for even Kermit to save it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Deedsie wrote: »
    The LED street lights are worse for light pollution. Id prefer the light off them than the sodium lights myself.

We should probably be installing streetlights to minimise light pollution.

Assuming the lamp holder/projector is well designed they are better in terms of light pollution/wastage with more light where its wanted on the ground and less is wasted to the sides and up into the sky. So for naked eye viewing of the stars they are better. However the problem for astronomers amateur or otherwise is that LED lights are full/broad spectrum and can't be easily filtered whereas the Sodium lamps can be very efficiently filtered out with the appropriate filter on your telescope eyepiece.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Loved the start of MT's forecast today....
    Mild air is acting a bit like that person who said they were leaving half an hour ago but they keep remembering something and come back in. But they do have an important trip to take (to Egypt) very soon and you must drive them to the airport. Make sure they have a one-way ticket.

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Loved the start of MT's forecast today....

:p

I feel a dedicated thread coming whoop whoop !!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Brilliant video! Thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Were not stuck in anything? We had very mild with HP over the Christmas, this week has been cold with sleet an snow. The weekend is going to be very windy and mild.

Don't think there will be anything mild about this weekend

[/QUOTE]

Highdef, you have echoed exactly what I felt about last years snow in our West Wicklow village. It is funny when people are not able to use their cars they go outside and talk to each other. when they have all amenities available they go in to buble. Thank goodness here in central Europe in our small town thinks have not advanced so much yet and I experience a different sensation that people are a bit too much nosy and want to know too much about you, maybe its the fact I haven't lived home last 15 years :). But overall there is so much more to the winter with snow and frost and we spend nearly as much time outside doing winter maintenance/fun as in summer. It comforts the decision made to return home with family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Lovely video, thanks so much for posting.

Personally though I like cold, I wouldn't like it that cold and I wouldn't be a huge fan of snow except around xmas. Snow is just too disruptive in Ireland anyway.

My ideal winter temp would be 3-5C and around 30C in summer or a bit more. We could only dream of that in Ireland though. Temps or real feel temps of between 10C and 20C year round are the norm here in Kerry. Enlivened by plenty of default Atlantic muck,of course. At least we have the scenery.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Some cold nights showing on charts for next week, I love a good frost :D

acequion wrote: »
    Lovely video, thanks so much for posting.

Personally though I like cold, I wouldn't like it that cold and I wouldn't be a huge fan of snow except around xmas. Snow is just too disruptive in Ireland anyway.

My ideal winter temp would be 3-5C and around 30C in summer or a bit more. We could only dream of that in Ireland though. Temps or real feel temps of between 10C and 20C year round are the norm here in Kerry. Enlivened by plenty of default Atlantic muck,of course. At least we have the scenery.:pac:

We do get at least one very cold month per winter, but as a child I remember cold winters that persisted long, and by mid February we were fed up with it, with this recent pattern of mild Euro winters we appreciate the spells with snow much more, I hope it will not be a norm here as well to wait for some snow flakes like in Ireland, this dreaded +NAO and a possibility of endless Euro High with fog,drizzle and low cloud is very depressing. The benefits of Irish climate are huge, you get the fresh air from the sea and don't have many respiratory issues then us in central European valleys. In some very poor villages they burn anything they see and we have a Red Allert! for pollution, the smog levels - PM10 particles measured in the air are 4 times the level they should be. http://www.shmu.sk/sk/?page=2264 We are no Alps and are poorer neighbors to Austria with much less environmentally considered population

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Good ENS from the ECMWF this morning - good cold spell coming up from Sunday- we should get a few snow events along the way. Nothing extreme shown but certainly a week of interest and a few lamppost watching events likely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Ventusky showing plenty of snow cover for next Wednesday and Thursday on its GFS model so not 10 days away which always has seemed the the case.
    Over 2 inches in many places.
    And it seems fairly consistent over those 2 days.
    https://www.ventusky.com/?p=53.64;-7.36;6&l=snow&t=20190131/1200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And when the road is bumpy, oncoming cars seem to be flashing you too... so I start looking out for stray sheep or stray Gardai!

Advertisement