Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Some tempertaure records might be challenged if the scenario you outlined unfolded. It could be a case of the 'perfect storm', so to speak, from the perspective of a cold lover, were it to happen like that.

Our current low temperature record is -19.1 °C at Markree Castle on 16 January 1881. We would need extraordinary depth of cold over snow covered fields at the absolute peak of mid winter to beat this I reckon.

It would be great to finally beat our high and low temperature records at some point while I'm still alive and young enough to enjoy it!.

I reckon our high temperature record will be the toughest of the two to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Gonzo wrote: »

Yeah, would be tricky in January :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gonzo wrote: »
    Our current low temperature record is -19.1 °C at Markree Castle on 16 January 1881. We would need extraordinary depth of cold over snow covered fields at the absolute peak of mid winter to beat this I reckon.

It would be great to finally beat our high and low temperature records at some point while I'm still alive and young enough to enjoy it!.

Villains carlow weather nudged -18c in 2010 iirc
    There's no certainty in what's coming because once the highs set up,there are so many other factors that influence trop weather, pure chaos theory
    The strat has less if any chaos
    We'll see anyway
    For cold fans the biggest thing in their favour is the earlyness of this strat disruption and the extra length of timing window for ducks to row up,any chance you,even you might get sick of snow? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I think we are in a great position for a good snow event.

Last week January first week of February.

Ironically I'm now getting worried about whether I will be able to fly to Austria to go skiing on 25 Jan.... damn snow ruining my skiing holiday :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Mortelaro wrote: »
    There's no certainty in what's coming because once the highs set up,there are so many other factors that influence trop weather, pure chaos theory
    We'll see anyway
    For cold fans the biggest thing in their favour is the earlyness of this strat disruption and the extra length of timing window for ducks to row up,any chance you,even you might get sick of snow? :D

Sick of snow?

Preposterous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Mortelaro wrote: »
    We'll see anyway

-17.7c :D and how I would love to beat that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here's some of the lowest temperatures Ireland has seen since 1969.

I6oi51G.png

Data from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Ironically I'm now getting worried about whether I will be able to fly to Austria to go skiing on 25 Jan.... damn snow ruining my skiing holiday :pac:

This shows the effect the SSW has on our weather right into APRIL.

35mf9ea.png

I'm heading off skiing too. And it has me thinking....will Dublin Airport be operational 1st week of February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 CeeCeeBlooom

I am scheduled to move to a new house around 1st week of Feb hopefully not too disruptive!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

I'm currently in the unusual situation of wanting cold in the Canadian Rockies Jan Week 3, New York in Week 4, and Ireland once i'm home end of the month :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

some charts are suggesting that the Jetstream could sink really far south of us by end of January, possibly as far south as Canary Islands, southern Morocco and central-southern Algeria regions, with intense blocking over Greenland.

If this happened we would be plunged into some serious cold.

GFS also starting to wake up and show some cold/bitter air over us for end of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Tickets please...
    6iwnkp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

It's all starting to look much better now. that is if you like cold
    2h3r02w.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

ECM brings it forward. Northerly by the 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I've just seen a snowy Athens on the 6 news, that high was always going to hang around and eat up valuable winter weeks when the sun is at its lowest. :(
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108954156
    This 'winter' if you can call it that with geraniums and fuschia in flower and the daffs out has been torture and looking at Jean's forecast right now the anticyclonic gloom goes on and on and on .....
    Maybe this ssw will deliver but I've lost interest to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

I've just seen a snowy Athens on the 6 news, that high was always going to hang around and eat up valuable winter weeks when the sun is at its lowest. :(
    This 'winter' if you can call it that with geraniums and fuschia in flower and the daffs out has been torture and looking at Jean's forecast right now the anticyclonic gloom goes on and on and on .....

It's the 8th of January.....

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

LOL!!! Thats like losing interest in summer on the 8th July!! Seriously?!!!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Advertisement

gabeeg wrote: »
    ECM brings it forward. Northerly by the 18th

-9 850hpa showing over a lot of Ireland too. There could be some snow around:D

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

8th January 1991.. remember this snowfall well:)

8th January 1991.. remember this snowfall well:)

Was there drifting snow with that? I might be mixing it up with another event.

Some. It was with a north westerly heavy flaked fall. Not really noted for the drifting but amount of snow as sleet turned to snow 12pm-8pm. 7 people had been killed in Ireland in storms gusting over 100mph the previous Saturday 5th Jan.

In February 1991 around 6-10th we had a colder easterly outbreak. The more powdery fine snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Yes from what I remember, but I believe there was two separate blasts of snow, second blast causing the drifting,I still haven't seen the depth of snow in 81 beatin

ZX7R wrote: »
    Yes from what I remember, but I believe there was two separate blasts of snow, second blast causing the drifting,I still haven't seen the depth of snow in 81 beatin

That snow event all happened on the 8th January, one day. A bit of a top up on the 9th. There was no second blast to it. High pressure and frost took over from 10th Jan on.

Some. It was with a north westerly heavy flaked fall. Not really noted for the drifting but amount of snow as sleet turned to snow 12pm-8pm. 7 people had been killed in Ireland in storms gusting over 100mph the previous Saturday 5th Jan.

In February 1991 around 6-10th we had a colder easterly outbreak. The more powdery fine snow.

I remember that storm, but don't remember the easterly of that year:o. The storm lasted a long time. I had never experienced such strong winds before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Early Dec 1990 around the 8th we had a cold snap. That was 3 months in a row around the same dates we had cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

That snow event all happened on the 8th January, one day. A bit of a top up on the 9th. There was no second blast to it. High pressure and frost took over from 10th Jan on.

Memory is not as good as it was 37 year's ago

• Advertisement

I remember that storm, but don't remember the easterly of that year:o. The storm lasted a long time. I had never experienced such strong winds before.

It was a very good deep easterly. From around 2nd Feb it got progresively colder. Very severe weather in the UK, up there with Jan 1987. We had quite a wintry month. It got milder mid month but some more snow on higher ground on 23rd.

Advertisement