Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Not sure if these stats have already been posted by Syran, but Cork Apt up to yesterday, has recorded 14 consecutive days with zero sun. That equates to two full weeks, or nearly half a month, without even the briefest break in the cloud.

Unless, of course, the cloud broke at night! (Which it didn't).

That's what they call a dirty high.

alentejo wrote: »
    Really have enjoyed weather for past few weeks. Have been able to get out and do things outside. More please

Absolutely. If you couldn't have/don't want snow, the weather over the Xmas period was some of the best in years. The cause was a 'Bartlett' high I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think just about everyone has enjoyed a break from the rain, just a pity there has been very little sun and no frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Hopefully some sunshine on the cards Tuesday,yes a one day special :)

Very mild tonight with Belmullet,Claremorris,Finner,Mace head,Markree,Newport and Valentia all at 11 degrees at 10pm.

Syran, if you get a chance could you dig out the max temps for paddys day last year, was saying to a friend today how we remember the biting cold as we moved between pubs in Westport

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Very mild tonight with Belmullet,Claremorris,Finner,Mace head,Markree,Newport and Valentia all at 11 degrees at 10pm.

Syran, if you get a chance could you dig out the max temps for paddys day last year, was saying to a friend today how we remember the biting cold as we moved between pubs in Westport

I remember it snowing last st patrick's night although it didn't really lodge,just wet snow

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Gonzo wrote: »
    Doesn't look like we will see much change over the next 6 to 7 days, staying mostly cloudy and relatively mild.

Signs then of increasing unsettled spell beginning around the 14th of January with an Atlantic influence resuming and turning a bit colder. There is the potential for some stormy conditions with strong winds and bands of rain from about the 17th of January.

Most ensemble charts are showing around the 22nd of January (way out in FI) there are signs of a mid Atlantic ridge of high pressure which could bring down cold northerlies over us, which could give wintry showers over the north and possibly the west. No real sign of northern blocking as of yet, so that northerly may not last long.

Some of the ensemble charts are very dissapointing showing a highly active Atlantic and jetstream for the second half of January with no signs of any blocking, real cold or any response to the SSW event. Hopefully these charts do not verify.
    Yeah, no sign of the models "struggling" and other such euphemisms that get used. They are pretty consistent run to run in showing no real cold in the foreseeable / medium term.

So basically you are saying that based on the charts we can write off this month in terms of getting any real sustained cold wintry weather. I suppose the cold lovers can pin their hopes on getting something in Feb, for the time being anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Looks like this year will be another year without a Winter. Only 3 frosts so far and those were not great. Hate the mild weather in winter and the current weather is starting to give me cabin fever. After suffering all summer the hope of a few bright frosty was the only thing keeping me moving in the heat.

Hopefully we get a cool summer in a way of compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Lucreto wrote: »
    Looks like this year will be another year without a Winter. Only 3 frosts so far and those were not great. Hate the mild weather in winter and the current weather is starting to give me cabin fever. After suffering all summer the hope of a few bright frosty was the only thing keeping me moving in the heat.

Today is the 6th January! If it was the 6th March I'd say fair enough!!! Even then you can get snow or cold weather mid to late March!!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Honestly lads this writing off Winter before we even get near the half way mark is beyond foolish!

Factor in no raging Atlantic, SSW, MJO Phase 7 into 8 and negative AO and it begins to look even more foolish.

Sure it might end up being a bland mild winter but if you think you can call it on the 6th of January you are either GOD or foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

This weekend in Dublin has been a little bit of a respite from the blandness. A little chillier, but most importantly, some lovely blue skies and actual direct sunshine. Oh how it has been missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's hilarious to read people writing off winter in January when people were writing off last year's winter in January too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

derekon wrote: »
    Today is the 6th January! If it was the 6th March I'd say fair enough!!! Even then you can get snow or cold weather mid to late March!!

Yes but March is not a winter month. Frankly I don't want a repeat of March 2018. If we are to get snow or severe cold weather this year let it come and be gone by late Feb at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

So basically you are saying that based on the charts we can write off this month in terms of getting any real sustained cold wintry weather. I suppose the cold lovers can pin their hopes on getting something in Feb, for the time being anyway.

No, but I am saying the charts are pretty consistent in showing nothing of note cold wise over the next 10 to 15 days. That can change of course but the consistency is disappointing given the hopes the ssw would kick in before that period was up. The big snow last year was in March so I am certainly not writing off winter 2019. The 1947 winter was mild for most of Jan too I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Down to 5.7c here near Arklow,sky is clear

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yes but March is not a winter month. Frankly I don't want a repeat of March 2018. If we are to get snow or severe cold weather this year let it come and be gone by late Feb at the latest.

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Was going to say the same, I suspect most people who want snow would far prefer it in December or January. Come February the sun gains strength so even with extreme cold we get that horrible slushy melting between showers. I know for me personally I start getting fed up of winter and start craving some warmth and new growth by February as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Scottish Jodi

I want snow so I can go sledging with my twin 5yr old sisters, providing they zip their jackets lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

We hv growth already wudda mowed lawn today but it was wet. Its all dark green none of the yellow frost burnt stuff. however Winter IS coming....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Xenji wrote: »
    Not sure how many days it was but Sherkin Island had only 2.8 hours of sunshine in December 2015.

Mayo holds the distinction of having the lowest recorded for 6/12 months.

There was a summer when I was up in the Northern Isles when the sun literally did not appear for several months. Late 90's I think?

The barley and hay crops failed. Totally. We had to buy in fodder and barley for livestock .

Garden crops were decimated.

Interesting re Mayo. I just adapt

Offshore island west mayo.

Can hardly believe the dramatics re a mild winter. Has been lovely and restful.
    A real much needed treat.

• Advertisement

We have a gale at our doors ( and windows!) and deluging sideways rain.. Told you last night it was a-changing! Air felt different, tasted colder.

Noisy old thing battering at the walls! No quiet walk along the lanes at first light today. In the past when I had the dog, I found myself marching on the spot against the wind. Turned round and got blown home..

Need a calm day on Thursday to get my shopping delivered but after that...

Change has begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Graces7 wrote: »
    Can hardly believe the dramatics re a mild winter. Has been lovely and restful.
    A real much needed treat.

In fairness the only people who experience more weather than yourself are lighthouse keepers.

This morning it is spitting rain with no wind and 10c. Now compare that to what you just posted. You wouldn't think I am only 250km away from you.

I was moaning that it is 10c in the morning in January. I get those temperatures in summer at the same time.

In fairness the only people who experience more weather than yourself are lighthouse keepers.

This morning it is spitting rain with no wind and 10c. Now compare that to what you just posted. You wouldn't think I am only 250km away from you.

I was moaning that it is 10c in the morning in January. I get those temperatures in summer at the same time.

always wanted to live in a lighthouse! And yes, you are right... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Villain wrote: »
    Honestly lads this writing off Winter before we even get near the half way mark is beyond foolish!

I think a lot of people seem to forget that we live in Ireland, where we usually have a big snow event once in every 10 years.
    Having all that snow last March seems to have gotten peoples hopes up that we will get it again and the same goes for storms with red weather warnings.
    Sure its all about the days off work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hopefully plenty of cold, frost and snow on the way soon to compensate for a very unseasonable festive season just over.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You have to go to Egypt to get temperatures as high as Ireland currently!

https://twitter.com/Europe_wx/status/1082200244945936384

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I think a lot of people seem to forget that we live in Ireland, where we usually have a big snow event once in every 10 years.
    Having all that snow last March seems to have gotten peoples hopes up that we will get it again and the same goes for storms with red weather warnings.
    Sure its all about the days off work. :)

I'm probably going to stat a row :) but I'm optimistic for another snow event seeing as we are going into a grand solar minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here ya go - I added in the min temps too for good measure.

tX5aJah.png

Data from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thanks for that. Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Kutebride

MJohnston wrote: »
    Jaysus, you do love to make shìt up for an oul moan.

Anyway, in other news, the cherry blossoms in Stephen's Green are starting to bloom, which is pretty fecking early.

5ORdf4I_d.jpg?maxwidth=1280&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

Snap thought I saw a cherry blossom yesterday morning with its pink flower.

I'm craving a bright day. Really am. Not even a sun worshipper as I just fry in the sun with my Celtic background but would a few bright days.

First noisy day in a long time. Some wind. 11 degrees.
    Grinning at the end of the BBC week ahead forecast.........possibility as we go in to the week ahead we could see some Winteree-ness:D

Advertisement