Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭brookers

I've just seen a snowy Athens on the 6 news, that high was always going to hang around and eat up valuable winter weeks when the sun is at its lowest. :(
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108954156
    This 'winter' if you can call it that with geraniums and fuschia in flower and the daffs out has been torture and looking at Jean's forecast right now the anticyclonic gloom goes on and on and on .....
    Maybe this ssw will deliver but I've lost interest to be honest.

did you not say something similar before Storm Emma.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

Billcarson wrote: »
    Early Dec 1990 around the 8th we had a cold snap. That was 3 months in a row around the same dates we had cold weather.

Yes a Friday morning, around 7th December a northerly blast turned sleet to snow on the backedge of a weather front :)

I remember that storm, but don't remember the easterly of that year:o. The storm lasted a long time. I had never experienced such strong winds before.

https://www.met.ie/climate/past-weather-statements

If you'd like a read Nacho in the archive monthly bulletins..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Early Dec 1990 around the 8th we had a cold snap. That was 3 months in a row around the same dates we had cold weather.

Yes a Friday morning, around 7th December a northerly blast turned sleet to snow on the backedge of a weather front :)

Yes I remember it well. It settled on the hills. Parts if Britain got a reasonable bit of snow out if that front. Sat and Sun were mostly dry and frosty.

Yes I remember it well. It settled on the hills. Parts if Britain got a reasonable bit of snow out if that front. Sat and Sun were mostly dry and frosty.

That's right. I was in secondary school and hoping a rain belt coming in from the West on Monday would turn to snow when hitting colder air..and a day off school:) Didn't happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Maybe I am really loosing my mind, but did we not have a big snow event in 1982 also

Maybe I got 81/82 mixed up

ZX7R wrote: »
    Maybe I am really loosing my mind, but did we not have a big snow event in 1982 also

Jan 1982. 8th Jan on :) The biggest since 1963 and 1947!

13th December 1981 had a big fall and was a frosty cold month too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yes whilst the UK had a wet snow event on that weekend with scenes like below in Coventry.

oVYnk7M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Jan 1982. 8th Jan on :) The biggest since 1963 and 1947!

Thanks defaulter1831
    I really thought I was loosing it.
    Thought 1978 had a cold blast with lots of snow also??

• Advertisement

Thanks defaulter1831

You're welcome :)

It did, now I was 2 so getting out of my memory bank. But it was a late Spring and snowing in late Feb I remember my mam saying. 1979 had a very cold Jan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

I got lost in the snow in 1982 oops I was only 4 ...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It did, now I was 2 so getting out of my memory bank. But it was a late Spring and snowing in late Feb I remember my mam saying. 1979 had a very cold Jan too.

Historical post on the February 1978 cold spell and blizzard here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107275536

A Corkian's dream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Thanks defaulter1831

Snowed in March around paddys day if I remember. Got some snow in early may aswell which gave a covering.

kittyn wrote: »
    I got lost in the snow in 1982 oops I was only 4 ...... :)

Better than me Kittyn. My mam wouldn't let me out :(

I was 5 going on 6 but had bad asthma at the time.

Better than me Kittyn. My mam wouldn't let me out :(

I was 5 going on 6 but had bad asthma at the time.

Ah no that’s crap 🙈 We have had a few epic snowfalls over the years but I just have a feeling in my bones that we could be heading for another epic one ......... :D

kittyn wrote: »
    Ah no that’s crap �� We have had a few epic snowfalls over the years but I just have a feeling in my bones that we could be heading for another epic one ......... :D

I was sitting on the window sil looking out for most of January 1982.. I remember the snow drifting into this massive bowl shaped structure up to the roof of our old 2 storied house...

I know what you mean i feel like everything is falling into place, and earlier than last year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

The only thing stranger than half the posters over on NW is the Mods, a weird bunch.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    The only thing stranger than half the posters over on NW is the Mods, a weird bunch.

They really are a mad bunch alright lol

I am just about controlling my excitement at the prospect of some interesting weather ....... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

This shows the effect the SSW has on our weather right into APRIL.

35mf9ea.png

I'm heading off skiing too. And it has me thinking....will Dublin Airport be operational 1st week of February.

We are showing we our true snow enthusiasts Captain Snow - hoping for snow at home but making sure to get to the Alps at some stage just in case plan A fails!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Chilly outside in Arklow tonight
    Lovely fire inside though :)

58f1a48c6d9a006905f89c9c2ddacac0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Mortelaro wrote: »

That external temperature seems very low. It's 7.2C in Ashford, Wicklow.

And as for the internal temperature... I'd have to open a window!!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Is the house on fire. Lol

HighLine wrote: »

Clear sky here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I was born during the big snow of 82 and my dad during the 47 event. My mum says she was making preparations to have me at home in case they couldn't get to the hospital, and that was going from Dublin 12 to the Coombe!

I'm just back from Austria, got home on Sunday. Snowed lightly but steadily from Wednesday to Friday and then BUCKETED from Friday night onwards. We nearly missed our flight because one of the roads out of Zell was already closed about 35 minutes outside of town and of course that was the one our driver decided to take. Had to turn around, come all the way back and go a different route.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I was born during the big snow of 82 and my dad during the 47 event. My mum says she was making preparations to have me at home in case they couldn't get to the hospital, and that was going from Dublin 12 to the Coombe!

I'm just back from Austria, got home on Sunday. Snowed lightly but steadily from Wednesday to Friday and then BUCKETED from Friday night onwards. We nearly missed our flight because one of the roads out of Zell was already closed about 35 minutes outside of town and of course that was the one our driver decided to take. Had to turn around, come all the way back and go a different route.

Is there anyone due in your family over the next few weeks;)

HighLine wrote: »

I ventured outside
    Good frost has formed
    Arklow bypass tII has an air temp of oc at 1030pm
    We're certainly the coldest tonight
    Even Tullow is 7c :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I quite often get those sorts of temps when I have a good fire going in the stove, sometimes into the low 30's.....toasty. We must both like the heat so!

North Kildare and it's a much milder 5.9c right outside and a very chilly (compared to you) 22.3c in the kitchen. The cottage is it's usually warm self @ around 25c with no fire today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A bit confused reading through all the optimistic posts today.. the models are as dull and uninteresting as ever tonight, high pressure and slack westerlies throughout. Were the morning runs better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

A bit confused reading through all the optimistic posts today.. the models are as dull and uninteresting as ever tonight, high pressure and slack westerlies throughout. Were the morning runs better?

I think your screen might be upside-down

Advertisement