Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

acequion wrote: »
    When is that happening? Please not when I'm there. Mon-Fri next week??:eek::eek:

England/Wales will be warm from next Friday with temperatures around London possibly hitting 20 or even 21C next Sunday if conditions within the high pressure are perfect. If that happens it will be record-breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭acequion

Gonzo wrote: »
    England/Wales will be warm from next Friday with temperatures around London possibly hitting 20 or even 21C next Sunday if conditions within the high pressure are perfect. If that happens it will be record-breaking.

I might just escape it so. I mean 20 or 21C, sure we all love that in later spring and really love it in summer as we frequently don't get it but this early when you're spending a lot of time outdoors,tis hard to plan for as it can get cold fast especially eve and night and when you've only 10kg hand luggage, a nightmare to pack for.

This time last year I went to Edinburgh and just loved the crisp,dry cold. 2-3 chunky jumpers,2-3 scarves, your gloves,coat,boots and off ya go and looking great in the photos.:D This year,even Scotland has unseasonably high temps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

most of Europe is mild or very mild today with the exception of Greece, south-east Italy, Scandinavia and some far eastern european regions. Barely anywhere below freezing.

SYNOPEU_15_5.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

acequion wrote: »
    I might just escape it so. I mean 20 or 21C, sure we all love that in later spring and really love it in summer as we frequently don't get it but this early when you're spending a lot of time outdoors,tis hard to plan for as it can get cold fast especially eve and night and when you've only 10kg hand luggage, a nightmare to pack for.

This time last year I went to Edinburgh and just loved the crisp,dry cold. 2-3 chunky jumpers,2-3 scarves, your gloves,coat,boots and off ya go and looking great in the photos.:D This year,even Scotland has unseasonably high temps.

I feel like we are all living that trip with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Could be touching the high teens temperature wise in some places by the 24th if the latest output is anything to go by. An unusually mild and stable outlook at the moment.

Not your typical February outlook

gfs-0-192.png?12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Could be touching the high teens temperature wise in some places by the 24th if the latest output is anything to go by. An unusually mild and stable outlook at the moment.

Not your typical February outlook

Watch that Euro high get replaced by an equally strong trough during summer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Foggy, strong winds and even stronger gusts here on the west cork coast, directly across from the ocean. Miserable atm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭acequion

A really horrible day in Tralee from about noon. Before that it was nice but after it just lashed down and sorry to those weather experts who disagree re humidity,but here in Kerry it was one hell of a muggy, squelchy mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Not a bad day in Dublin 13 in fairness. Some patches of blue sky, mostly cloudy and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Not a bad day in Dublin 13 in fairness. Some patches of blue sky, mostly cloudy and dry.

Same here in Dublin 5 but I'm going to get sick of this weather by the end of the week.

Is it just me or has February been extremely dry?

Edit: It's been wetter than January by a millimetre so far with 27.8mm, certainly hasn't felt that way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's getting a bit windy out there.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Same here in Dublin 5 but I'm going to get sick of this weather by the end of the week.

Is it just me or has February been extremely dry?

Edit: It's been wetter than January by a millimetre so far with 27.8mm, certainly hasn't felt that way.

A good amount of it has been from Storm Erik on the 8th and the night of the 6th/7th. I haven't seen much fall during the day.

65.9 hrs of sunshine this February so far at Dublin Airport which is "very sunny" by this point in the month. At this stage in February 2018 (which was also a very sunny February), we had a similar total of 64.2 hrs but February 2019 is very slightly sunnier so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It's getting a bit windy out there.
    Very, North cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Very windy here near Rathdrum in Wicklow and has been fairly coming down since about 4 this afternoon. Of course it was the day I put up the new clothesline...

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Very, North cork

Can't believe how windy it is tonight, it was like a rollercoaster on the N22 heading west! It's so open around Ballincollig.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,093 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mild, in fact very mild. Phoenix Park 13 degrees @ 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Fairly wild out there now, lights just flickered!

If you think it's windy in the city, think that x2 down here on the west cork coast. Lights flickering like mad all night. Sister's at home in the city say it's not great up there either, we rarely have flickers up there though as we are near CUH so power is fairly consistent. We have been lucky with the rain so far haven't had any bar a few drops but the wind hasn't stopped all day and has picked up since around 6ish

House is right across from the ocean. Would love to have been down here during Erik with my parents, said it was very windy with hail and all. Ophelia was another. Matter, we came down and the trees in the garden were gone.

Cork airport gusting 62km/h and Roche's Point gusting 72km/h so the city would be somewhere in between I'd say

Edit: rain just started down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭pauldry

Oh no. Just seen Kermit promising warm weather.

Global Warming is complete

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If this happened we are talking 20c or slightly more being reached in some locations. Extraordinary for February.

ECE1-216.GIF?17-12

ECM0-240.GIF?17-12

It's a long way out, that. But all the models are in agreement that a period of very mild or even warm weather is on the cards in the next 12 days.

The beast from the east is headed for Athens meanwhile.

could Ireland see a 20C before February 28th, could London or southern England get a 22 or even 23C in such a setup?

I'm not a fan of warm weather in winter but I am excited by the prospect of temperature records being smashed.

The CFS long range models want to keep us milder than average over the next 6 months. Completely unreliable at this stage, we've seen how poorly these models predicted this winter.

The models are hinting at an unsettled and mild March, then a mild and wet April. May could be dominated by easterlies with possibly warm temperatures along western areas. June to August with July in particular hinting at above or well above average temperatures and dry conditions.

The high pressure setup of the final week of February, could be a sign of things to come this summer. Could Summer 2018 and 2019 be a pair of really warm summers? I certainly hope so.

Was just out walking the dog in west cork and starts hailstoning heavily out of nowhere. Blue skies to Grey skies. Soaked :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Was just out walking the dog in west cork and starts baolstoning heavily out of nowhere. Blue skies to Grey skies. Soaked :p

Baolstoning? That`s a new one. Never heard that before.

Baolstoning? That`s a new one. Never heard that before.

Fixed :pac::o

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Pops_20

It feels much windier in Cork City today than it has felt during some recent Yellow Warnings (not a Met Eireann criticism :pac:)

a peach of a day here, very sunny, still mild and a decent breeze. Great day for walking. Were heading towards another very dry month too with rainfall totals at Dunsany only 24.9mm up to the 16th of February. Rainfall totals for January and February to date are well down on 2018.

• Advertisement

The February that keeps on giving continues with another nice day in Dublin.

https://twitter.com/snowbiewx/status/1097124003750256640?s=21

Advertisement