Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

This winter has been absolutely dreadful. Mostly grey, very few cold spells, very few notable storms, and quite wet early on. One to forget regardless of what happens in the next few 3-4 weeks.

I suppose it was bound to happen. We were spoiled (if that's the right word) down here in Cork up until July of last year with all the memorable weather events we got to experience. I still cant quite believe over a 9 month period that we had a serious storm in Ophelia, a significant fall of snow from Emma, an entire night of thunderstorms in May and prolonged drought early summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wasn't expecting any wind or rain today if I'm being honest, currently at my families house on west coast of ireland, pretty wild out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

13c again today in Sligo.

Daytimes been 4 to 5c above normal past 5 days

Definitely now going to be the top 3 mildest Winters on record

March or April probably freezing to even it out.:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The shallow LP and weak fronts not making much inroads today with Hp over Europe helping to block it .

WeXjxGY.png?1

VGwepF4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Was that on the radio🙇*♂️🙇*♂️🙇*♂️🙈
    It was on my local radio station anyway.
    Mobhi1 wrote: »
    But it was hotter than Athens. Going by the report above Athens was only 7, which sounds quite cool for Athens.

My point is how can 16°c be classed as hot.

• Advertisement

The shallow LP and weak fronts not making much inroads today with Hp over Europe helping to block it .
    VGwepF4.jpg

Looking at that Sat picture there's probably some Saharan dust mixed up in the that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

lolie wrote: »
    Looking at that Sat picture there's probably some Saharan dust mixed up in the that.

Yeah been watching out for it the last couple of days, fine film of dust on the cars yesterday .

Yeah been watching out for it the last couple of days, fine film of dust on the cars yesterday .

Noticed a bit of dust but wasn't to sure if it was Saharan dust though.
    Will probably be more noticeable on Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

lolie wrote: »
    It was on my local radio station anyway.

My point is how can 16°c be classed as hot.

Its relative.

If it was 3°c in June I'm sure you'd be saying its cold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Its relative.

If it was 3c in any month we'd be saying it was cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

MidMan25 wrote: »
    If it was 3c in any month we'd be saying it was cold.

True. Maybe I should have said 8 or something, anyway point stands, it was hotter here than Athens today. 16.5c in mid February is crazy, pity still can't go outside much theres a fierce wind the last few days here in Limerick.

Its relative.

Yeah i would.
    3°c is cold whatever time of year. Same as 16°c is mild/warm but not hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

pauldry wrote: »
    13c again today in Sligo.

Daytimes been 4 to 5c above normal past 5 days

Definitely now going to be the top 3 mildest Winters on record

March or April probably freezing to even it out.:(

Yeah - I already have a bad feeling about it based on past experience of such winters:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Sunshine is hard to predict. If the ECM was to verify above, it would be very settled. It's a setup that is nearly akin to late March 2012 if you can remember that period although of course a month earlier than that so there would be some possible differences.

As a matter of interest what was the temperature range in Ireland on 15 Feb 2018? I know it was 10 days or so before the real bitterly cold weather (Beast from the East) set in but surely not as mild as this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

As a matter of interest what was the temperature range in Ireland on 15 Feb 2018? I know it was 10 days or so before the real bitterly cold weather (Beast from the East) set in but surely not as mild as this year.

Maxima of 4 to 10c (lowest was 4.0c and highest was 9.5c). Minima of -1 to 4c (lowest was -1.0c and highest was 4.2c).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

m17 wrote: »
    Athleauge co roscommon 15/02/19 8.10 temperature 6°C
    iLoYwFm.jpg

Nice pic, but that sky is in complete contrast to the sky just a few miles further west this morning, which was as black as death. All this did was make the strange luminance all the more surreal. Everything seemed to glow, despite the fact that it was barely even twilight. It was like something from a dream.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Nice post by Quicksilver1989 on Netweather on possible reasons why this Winter hasn't gone to what many forecasts thought this season would play out as.

I personally think the Atlantic SSTs played the biggest role in this especially earlier in the season.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/91342-winter-201819-%E2%80%93-cold-long-range-models-ssw-events-and-favourable-global-drivers%E2%80%A6-where-did-it-go-wrong-a-review/

Interitus did a great little analysis on the Atlantic SSTs of Mays/Junes of the past and compared them with the December CETs, back in September 2018. There was definitely some correlation. Only one year with a cold May/June SST in his analysis that was followed by a cold December and that was 2009.

Quote by him in a post earlier today:
    Of the 12 coldest SST in May/June the December CET averages over 6°C, including the warmest Decembers on record. 7 CET above 6°C and only one December CET was below average (2009). With this winter now make that 12 from 13 above average and another >6°C -

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/90431-uk-first-ground-and-air-frost-watch-season-2018-2019/?do=findComment&comment=3908027

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Gonzo wrote: »
    Very mild or warm over the next 2 to 3 weeks, this isn't just confined to the UK and Ireland, but stretches all the way from Galway Bay to Tokyo in the long range forecasts. A very warm trench of above average temperatures stretching from Ireland through Europe, into Russia and eastwards into the Asian continent over the next 3 weeks.

Crap, no snow here this winter so off to the apps next weekend, probably be 20 degrees ! Give us a break mother nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It's colder than usual :)

lol, your on the ball tonight, too many beers for me. I deleted the post quickly as i figured just after i posted but you got me. :eek:

I walk away in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Monkeynut wrote: »
    lol, your on the ball tonight, too many beers for me. I deleted the post quickly as i figured just after i posted but you got me. :eek:

I walk away in shame.

No shame in a good Friday night ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Not a great day either today blustery dull and feeling cold in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Not a great day either today blustery dull and feeling cold in the wind.

Ah god love ye ye're spoiled from all the mild weather and shiver at a bit of chill.:pac:

I am happy though for all those who benefit from this mild weather,the sick,the elderly and the poor and don't begrudge those not in that category who are fans of it. Though I still hate it myself this early. The problem is that you acclimatise, embrace spring, start looking forward to BBQs like Gonzo and then wham!! Winter returns with a bang in March or even April /May and you have to get used to it all over again. That's why I love proper seasons.

But weather is uncontrollable and we have to roll with it. Still scratching my head though wondering what to pack for my trip to London and wishing it were straightforward winter weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

acequion wrote: »
    Ah god love ye ye're spoiled from all the mild weather and shiver at a bit of chill.:pac:

I am happy though for all those who benefit from this mild weather,the sick,the elderly and the poor and don't begrudge those not in that category who are fans of it. Though I still hate it myself this early. The problem is that you acclimatise, embrace spring, start looking forward to BBQs like Gonzo and then wham!! Winter returns with a bang in March or even April /May and you have to get used to it all over again. That's why I love proper seasons.

But weather is uncontrollable and we have to roll with it. Still scratching my head though wondering what to pack for my trip to London and wishing it were straightforward winter weather.

I think mild and sunny is the worst winter combination possible from a cold weather fan's point of view. It is nice weather but it's just so weird having 16.5c and sunny weather in mid-February.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I think mild and sunny is the worst winter combination possible from a cold weather fan's point of view. It is nice weather but it's just so weird having 16.5c and sunny weather in mid-February.

We could see temperatures higher than that next Sunday, 18C isn't out of the question if we get a direct hit from the warm shot of air from Africa next Sunday combined with sunny conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

About 10 degrees here on the west cork coastline. The sea is very rough with big swells, skies are grey and the wind is strong. Hopefully we get some of those high temperatures next week, heard that at home in the city has similar conditions atm

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

It’s not feckin warm today that is for sure

Got very windy here near Tralee this morning gusting up around 70 km/h, was out pruning and topping trees and had to stop for a time, still quite breezy with a 10 min avg ot 24 km/h. Fresh winds going to spread across the country tonight.

anim_cjw5.gif

Gonzo wrote: »
    We could see temperatures higher than that next Sunday, 18C isn't out of the question if we get a direct hit from the warm shot of air from Africa next Sunday combined with sunny conditions.

The UK could also record its first ever winter 20c.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Artane2002 wrote: »
    The UK could also record its first ever winter 20c.

When is that happening? Please not when I'm there. Mon-Fri next week??:eek::eek:

• Advertisement

acequion wrote: »
    When is that happening? Please not when I'm there. Mon-Fri next week??:eek::eek:

No, more likely next weekend. It will still be mild enough before that.

Advertisement