Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

Has there been any movement on any of the regional panels yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

delricyo wrote: »
    No. The job spec states that you must be serving as an AP

yes, but you don't have to have 2 years as an AP

once you are out of probation and have at least 2 years total over any grades in the civil service you can apply

as said you can also apply if in top 426 of other competition

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AP2019

This what the Circular states on the matter;

"3. Eligibility
    Eligibility will be confined to staff currently serving at the grades of Assistant Principal Standard and equivalent, and those among the 426 top ranking candidates* in the current Assistant Principal Standard Interdepartmental Competition (‘Circular 13/2018:Interdepartmental Competition for promotion to Assistant Principal (AP) Standard in the Civil Service’) who have successfully completed Stage 3 of that recruitment and selection process
    (i.e. Supervised Testing).

4. Candidates must:
    a) Be a currently serving Assistant Principal Standard or equivalent grade with not
    less than two years’ service in the Civil Service before the closing date of 23
    May
    2019. Unestablished officers and officers serving in an acting capacity in the eligible
    grades may compete in the competition provided they fulfil the eligibility
    requirements set out above or;
    rd
    b) Have successfully completed Stage 3 (Supervised Testing) of the selection process
    from the current AP Standard Interdepartmental competition, ‘Circular 13/2018
    Interdepartmental Competition for promotion to Assistant Principal (AP) Standard in
    the Civil Service’ by the date of this circular.
    c) Demonstrate that they possess the key and general personal requirements detailed
    at section 2 above along with the skills/competencies identified as being essential for
    the role. These are outlined in Appendix II."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,248 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

AP2019 wrote: »
    This what the Circular states on the matter;

"3. Eligibility
    Eligibility will be confined to staff currently serving at the grades of Assistant Principal Standard and equivalent, and those among the 426 top ranking candidates* in the current Assistant Principal Standard Interdepartmental Competition (‘Circular 13/2018:Interdepartmental Competition for promotion to Assistant Principal (AP) Standard in the Civil Service’) who have successfully completed Stage 3 of that recruitment and selection process
    (i.e. Supervised Testing).

4. Candidates must:
    a) Be a currently serving Assistant Principal Standard or equivalent grade with not
    less than two years’ service in the Civil Service before the closing date of 23
    May
    2019. Unestablished officers and officers serving in an acting capacity in the eligible
    grades may compete in the competition provided they fulfil the eligibility
    requirements set out above or;
    rd
    b) Have successfully completed Stage 3 (Supervised Testing) of the selection process
    from the current AP Standard Interdepartmental competition, ‘Circular 13/2018
    Interdepartmental Competition for promotion to Assistant Principal (AP) Standard in
    the Civil Service’ by the date of this circular.
    c) Demonstrate that they possess the key and general personal requirements detailed
    at section 2 above along with the skills/competencies identified as being essential for
    the role. These are outlined in Appendix II."
    So to get the details of this I am guessing I have to go to my local HR?
    Tbh I would rather they didnt know I was on an AP panel.

It was emailed to our entire Department, so perhaps your Dept/Org will do the same this week?

If not, you could probably email DPER (cshrpolicy@per.gov.ie would be a good place to start) to request a copy before it's published to the Circulars.gov.ie website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Sy Snootles

It was emailed to our entire Department, so perhaps your Dept/Org will do the same this week?

If not, you could probably email DPER (cshrpolicy@per.gov.ie would be a good place to start) to request a copy before it's published to the Circulars.gov.ie website.

What he/she said. Definitely email CSHR if your HR haven't circulated it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Newbie 101

Veledan22 wrote: »
    Has there been any movement on any of the regional panels yet?

I'm on for Longford and Westmeath and per PAS today there are no vacancies logged for either location and no one has been contacted..

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Starlight321

Newbie 101 wrote: »
    I'm on for Longford and Westmeath and per PAS today there are no vacancies logged for either location and no one has been contacted..

No vacancies logged for Donegal either!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 GBCS

Confirmed with PAS yesterday 42 remaining to be placed from the first batch.

GBCS wrote: »
    Confirmed with PAS yesterday 42 remaining to be placed from the first batch.
    So that is maybe 8 people off the list in about 2 weeks...promising!

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    So that is maybe 8 people off the list in about 2 weeks...promising!

Person I spoke to indicated that quite a few were turning down jobs in Dublin or already had positions. He suggested they would be likely to start on batch 2 in 2/3 months

Person I spoke to indicated that quite a few were turning down jobs in Dublin or already had positions. He suggested they would be likely to start on batch 2 in 2/3 months

That would be much earlier than expected!

Batch 1 for Dublin must have had almost 100 people on it then?

If they're not getting to Batch 2 for another 2 or 3 months.

[Batch 2 I refer to here being what we once referred to on Boards as Batch 1.2, interviewed after Christmas, placed on panel on 22nd February 2019.]

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

[Batch 2 I refer to here being what we once referred to on Boards as Batch 1.2, interviewed after Christmas, placed on panel on 22nd February 2019.]

Didn't someone on here say they had already reached 14 on the batch of people interviewed in February?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

PCX wrote: »
    Didn't someone on here say they had already reached 14 on the batch of people interviewed in February?

I think you’re right. Batch 1.2 people are being placed at the moment and Batch 2 will start in 2-3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

Have heard this anecdotally for a few years now; by the time PAS get in touch, people have already gotten something.

Plus, comparative to the responsibility and commitment required, the salary isn't as worth it as it used to be (ie, there's similar payed jobs elsewhere without the hours).

PCX wrote: »

Yes, they were at 14 in 1.2 (Feb interviews) last week. I think the 42 are what is left in 1.2 and once that's done they'll get to the people interviewed in April.

tigger123 wrote: »
    Have heard this anecdotally for a few years now; by the time PAS get in touch, people have already gotten something.

Plus, comparative to the responsibility and commitment required, the salary isn't as worth it as it used to be (ie, there's similar payed jobs elsewhere without the hours).

I knew it was an issue at other grades, especially at CO and AO, but I didn't realise it was as big of a problem at AP. I would have thought that most people on the panel would be existing civil servants.

Yes, they were at 14 in 1.2 (Feb interviews) last week. I think the 42 are what is left in 1.2 and once that's done they'll get to the people interviewed in April.
    I think you might be a bit off on those dates but bar that correct.
    I am in batch 3 (as they call it) as we call it batch 2 (after 1.1. and 1.2).
    I was given my result 22/02/2019, they havent got onto the panel from the interviews in february yet never mind April.

I think you might be a bit off on those dates but bar that correct.
    I am in batch 3 (as they call it) as we call it batch 2 (after 1.1. and 1.2).
    I was given my result 22/02/2019, they havent got onto the panel from the interviews in february yet never mind April.

I thought the 14 were off the feb batch?

• Advertisement

I thought the 14 were off the feb batch?
    I would really doubt it (Im 31 on the Feb batch).

I had an email a few weeks back saying there were still about 50 left on the previous batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LORDLEPRECHAUN

Yes, I did this.

I knew someone in the section I was due to be going to who warned me in the strongest terms not to go there. As a result I turned the offer down from one panel and got a totally different Dept on the other panel.

Both offers were from the Dublin panels.

I was warned at the time that it would be possible to turn down a post on the Open and get exactly the same post on the InterD panel.

As such I waited a couple of weeks before turning it down until I knew that there were deffo other offers on the table.

You have to take your second offer though or you’re taken off the panel.

Im happy to answer any queries on this.
    Thanks very much Bobby for getting back to me on this.

Can I ask was it the current 2018 AP competition you did this on?

You didn't come across any HR issues in doing this, e.g. movement of salary?

Thanks in advance.

I would really doubt it (Im 31 on the Feb batch).

I had an email a few weeks back saying there were still about 50 left on the previous batch.

The email I received from PAS a little over a week ago said "We have contacted approximately the first 14 candidates from Batch 1.2." So I think that they might be a lot closer to appointing you than that :)

The email I received from PAS a little over a week ago said "We have contacted approximately the first 14 candidates from Batch 1.2." So I think that they might be a lot closer to appointing you than that :)
    I am in batch 3 (as they call it) from Feb....so I am not lol

They have to get rid of all of batch 1.2 before they start on as they call it batch 3.

No, batch 2 is batch 2. Those who completed interviews just before Easter.

I am in batch 3 (as they call it) from Feb....so I am not lol

They have to get rid of all of batch 1.2 before they start on as they call it batch 3.

It seems that different PAS staff are passing g out confusing information!
    Yesterday I was told that batch 2 are those most recently interviewed and placed on the panel just after the bank holiday weekend.
    So, as stated earlier, there are 42 remaining on the WHOLE of batch 1.

Exactly my take on this.

Exactly my take on this.
    I am saying this is wrong.
    I was put on panel on 22nd Feb (not interviewed in April)
    they havent started on this panel yet (batch 2) (they still havent finished with batch 1.2)

It seems that different PAS staff are passing g out confusing information!
    Yesterday I was told that batch 2 are those most recently interviewed and placed on the panel just after the bank holiday weekend.
    So, as stated earlier, there are 42 remaining on the WHOLE of batch 1.
    Definitely mixed information.
    Again i was put on panel 22nd Feb.

I got below (12 days ago)

There are currently about 50 people still to be contacted for positions in the previous Dublin batch before we will be beginning on your batch.

Batch one contained batch’s 1.1 and 1.2. Therefore you are in the 3rd group of people to be called as batch 1 was sub divided.

• Advertisement

This is what's causing the confusion, and also begs the question of when what PAS refer to as Batch 1.2 were interviewed? Before Christmas with 1.1?

Advertisement