Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Addle wrote: »
    Colleagues retiring presently have a different pension set up to post 2004 (or is it 1994?) recruits.

there are (at least) 4 separate pension cohorts with different arrangements

people who first joined CS in:
    • Pre April 1995
    • Post April 1995 to 2004
    • 2004 to 2013
    • 2013 onwards

however, all before 2013 would have a pension based on final salary

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Isn't pension calculated now off the average of the last three years' salary?

average of your best 3 consecutive years from last 10 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Sy Snootles

Isn't pension calculated now off the average of the last three years' salary? So waiting several more months wouldn't be any real benefit (especially as if you're retiring, you're likely to have been on the top of the scale for a while).

The big issue is your lump sum. Pensionable salary isn't averaged for general increases, only promotions and your pension will increase in line with salaries anyway, but since lump sums are a one off, it's worth staying for the 1.75%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The big issue is your lump sum. Pensionable salary isn't averaged for general increases, only promotions and your pension will increase in line with salaries anyway, but since lump sums are a one off, it's worth staying for the 1.75%.

That makes sense (as does the final salary being the important figure if you're pre-2013).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MrsH44

Failed 2 competencies by 5 marks in each. Did OK in the rest but still surprised how low I did in them, would love to hear what a 90% or over has to offer. It'd give me something to aim at.

I'm very disappointed but I suppose that's to be expected. For example, I got 36 in leadership, and it was historically an area I struggled with due to my department and the roles within it. After previous failures in that area I decided to undertake 3rd level education and in the past 3 years have obtained two level 9 qualifications, passing with 1st class honours in both, achieving student of the year in my Masters. To add to that, apart from the day to day leading of my team I've also been on the project board for 3 pilot projects in my department. If all that adds up to 36 then I'm really at a loss.

Sorry if that seems like a rant but I've been wondering if I'm a fit for the public sector at all.

Well done to those who are on the panel and I hope you get a placement that suits.

Hi, same happened me, failed 2 competencies by 3 Marks in one & 4 on the other, out of curiosity were you also interviewed on the first day, i.e. 3rd April?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Starlight321

Sorry to hear about this. I really think it's all about how you can sell yourself at interview. That is a skill in itself. You can have fantastic experience which sounds like you have, but you have to be able to sell sand to the Arabs at interview. You have to ensure you get in the key words of each competency into your examples. I've had disappointments in the past so i know how horrible it is. To improve how i am at interview I went to Carr communications and also did a mock interview with my PO. If you can do this you will improve your style significantly.

quote="Mervyn Skidmore;110014850"]Failed 2 competencies by 5 marks in each. Did OK in the rest but still surprised how low I did in them, would love to hear what a 90% or over has to offer. It'd give me something to aim at.

I'm very disappointed but I suppose that's to be expected. For example, I got 36 in leadership, and it was historically an area I struggled with due to my department and the roles within it. After previous failures in that area I decided to undertake 3rd level education and in the past 3 years have obtained two level 9 qualifications, passing with 1st class honours in both, achieving student of the year in my Masters. To add to that, apart from the day to day leading of my team I've also been on the project board for 3 pilot projects in my department. If all that adds up to 36 then I'm really at a loss.

Sorry if that seems like a rant but I've been wondering if I'm a fit for the public sector at all.

Well done to those who are on the panel and I hope you get a placement that suits.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AP2019

Any more movement on placements from batch 1.2?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Newbie 101

Congratulations to all who were successful in the recent round of interviews. I'm trying to suss out situation with Longford, I believe there may be upcoming vacancies, anyone on this forum successful for Longford?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Claireclucka

Newbie 101 wrote: »
    Congratulations to all who were successful in the recent round of interviews. I'm trying to suss out situation with Longford, I believe there may be upcoming vacancies, anyone on this forum successful for Longford?

No, the same for Louth. Congratulations to yourself too! How are you going to go about sussing it out? Just contemplating it here myself. Still hasn’t sunk in that I made it this time after failing on the 2016 rounds. Still pinching myself lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

I received an acknowledgement of application this morning after applying a couple of weeks ago.

I assume this means nothing in regards success in terms of advancing to be allowed take the online test?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

AP2019 wrote: »
    Any more movement on placements from batch 1.2?
    I sent them a quick email.

I got an email back saying I was in batch 3 for dublin not 2.....
    I got notification of my placing on panel on

22/02/2019...I thought that was batch 2?
    Or am I in batch 3?

I have sent them another email to clarify.

Response also contained below
    There are currently about 50 people still to be contacted for positions in the previous Dublin batch before we will be beginning on your batch. The movement on the Panels have been quite slow, due to the low volume of requests from departments. Unfortunately we have no way of predicting how long it is going to take to reach you on either panel as it is completely dependent on departmental requests.
    You will be contacted once we reach your order of merit to confirm your interest in the position, we will then contact your current department for a reference. If there is anything else we need we will advise you at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Newbie 101

No, the same for Louth. Congratulations to yourself too! How are you going to go about sussing it out? Just contemplating it here myself. Still hasn’t sunk in that I made it this time after failing on the 2016 rounds. Still pinching myself lol

Congrats, yes it's still sinking in! No easy way I'm afraid, just trying to get in touch with people working in the different departments, I'm existing CS so have a few contacts where people got promoted/transferred but it wouldn't be 💯 but will give an idea hopefully.. are you existing CS yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

gmisk wrote: »

Or am I in batch 3?

There are currently about 50 people still to be contacted for positions in the previous Dublin batch before we will be beginning on your batch. The movement on the Panels have been quite slow, due to the low volume of requests from departments. Unfortunately we have no way of predicting how long it is going to take to reach you on either panel as it is completely dependent on departmental requests.
    You will be contacted once we reach your order of merit to confirm your interest in the position, we will then contact your current department for a reference. If there is anything else we need we will advise you at this time.

I guess the way they're looking at it compared to this thread is:

Batch 1 = Batch 1.1
    Batch 2 = Batch 1.2
    Batch 3 = Batch 2

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I guess the way they're looking at it compared to this thread is:

Batch 1 = Batch 1.1
    Batch 2 = Batch 1.2
    Batch 3 = Batch 2
    Ah you could be right that would make sense.
    Looks like still a long wait then i am 30s in 1.2.....and they still havent finished 1.1. by sounds of that!

I have an interview for ICT AP so will definitely carry on with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

Looks like still a long wait then i am 30s in 1.2.....and they still havent finished 1.1. by sounds of that!

I think someone posted earlier in the thread that PAS had started pulling from 1.2, but it was maybe just the top 5 or so from that batch?

That said, 22/02 interview result puts you in batch 1.2/ their batch 2 so probably best to double check

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

Veledan22 wrote: »
    I think someone posted earlier in the thread that PAS had started pulling from 1.2, but it was maybe just the top 5 or so from that batch?

I am in top 10 of 1.2 and can confirm they have already contacted me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Luckyduck78

Does anyone know what is required in department references? I think it’s sick leave and pmds being satisfactory,
    Also congrats to everyone who got through and for all the advice posted on this forum,

Or am I in batch 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

APcomp wrote: »
    I am in top 10 of 1.2 and can confirm they have already contacted me.

Congrats! Lovely, that’s the news we want to hear 😀

Just wondering what interview score did someone need to get on Dublin panel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Veledan22

Just wondering what interview score did someone need to get on Dublin panel?

The qualifying score for each competency was 41 out of 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Samsadei

Hi all. I recently placed 8th on Cork open panel. I was just wondering would anyone have any idea/opinion if this would be good enough to get an offer during lifetime of this panel. I contacted PAS and no vacancies logged currently. I have a sneaking suspicion may just be out of luck. Thanks in advance!

oodles19 wrote: »
    I just got notification that I passed shortlisting for those who scored over 100 at stage one and that I would be called for supervised testing from 24th April on.

Did exact dates issue yet for when these will begin for batch 3? Congrats on getting through by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnbyrne82

Samsadei wrote: »
    Hi all. I recently placed 8th on Cork open panel. I was just wondering would anyone have any idea/opinion if this would be good enough to get an offer during lifetime of this panel. I contacted PAS and no vacancies logged currently. I have a sneaking suspicion may just be out of luck. Thanks in advance!
    Hi. I'm 15th on Cork Open panel and was thinking it was likely I would eventually get an offer. After September people may start retiring and there are a lot of offices in Cork. Anyway if you ever get called please let me know!

APcomp wrote: »
    Did exact dates issue yet for when these will begin for batch 3? Congrats on getting through by the way.

Yes, Batch 3 Stage 3 supervised tests were on from 24th to 26th April (6 sessions), so just finished this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Samsadei

Hi. I'm 15th on Cork Open panel and was thinking it was likely I would eventually get an offer. After September people may start retiring and there are a lot of offices in Cork. Anyway if you ever get called please let me know!

Thanks johnbyrne82. That gives me a bit of hope that this process wasn't all for nothing. I'll definitely let you know if I get the nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dee75

For anyone on Kilkenny or Wexford panel, there are no vacancies logged yet with PAS for either county.

Panel will last until end October 2020, so fingers crossed a few posts come up between now and then!

dee75 wrote: »
    For anyone on Kilkenny or Wexford panel, there are no vacancies logged yet with PAS for either county.

Panel will last until end October 2020, so fingers crossed a few posts come up between now and then!

Hi Dee,

I asked PAS how long regional panel will last considering it was only formed April 19. The response I got was

We do not have an exact end date for the current AP competition panel, however they generally last 2 years.

dee75 wrote: »

What number are you on those 2? After your ordeal with the appeal it would be a shame not to make it now! :o:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Fredddy

Any idea of how many vacancies are or are likely to become available in Galway before the panel closes next year?

Advertisement