Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭willthiswork

Aitor wrote: »
    I’m pretty certain it’s a bell curve. They don’t whittle down the numbers based on application forms. The forms only provide background for the interviewers if you get that far.

It depends, in some competitions they do further short listing based on the application forms after the aptitude tests. For example, the local authority senior management competition did that earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

I’m pretty certain it’s a bell curve. They don’t whittle down the numbers based on application forms. The forms only provide background for the interviewers if you get that far.

They do shortlist based on application forms, it was done in 2017 heo. Those who passed stage one and stage two and placed highly (top 400) did not necessarily get an interview as they were knocked out by the shortlisting

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Aitor

They do shortlist based on application forms, it was done in 2017 heo. Those who passed stage one and stage two and placed highly (top 400) did not necessarily get an interview as they were knocked out by the shortlisting

Oh interesting! I didn’t think they shortlisted on application forms for the AP competition I did, but maybe they did and I’ve forgotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

They must shortlist based on CV for competitions at this level. Potentially anyone can get through the verbal/numerical/sa. No point wasting time interviewing someone who's only just completed the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

did one of the test exams and didn't fare very well at all. I quite fancy my chances with shortlisting, but now very worried about the bloody tests

• Advertisement

They must shortlist based on CV for competitions at this level. Potentially anyone can get through the verbal/numerical/sa. No point wasting time interviewing someone who's only just completed the Leaving Cert.

You’d think so, wouldn’t you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

You’d think so, wouldn’t you?

It's clearly stated on page 11 of the booklet under stage 2. They will shortlist based on the application forms.

It's clearly stated on page 11 of the booklet under stage 2. They will shortlist based on the application forms.

Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BobCat123

After the shortlisting of forms,are people then callled for a second round of tests or straight to interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Jesus those tests aren't what i expected - bring back the Cut - E tests!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 uncleiano

So are the shl practice tests typical style of the questions we will get? I only ask as there are so many variations of numerical and reasoning tests out there. Is there any idea what a pass score for both would be or how many questions they will have?

Test links out

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Does anyone have a link to a site where you can practice situational awareness ones AND get answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Anyone can just have a bad day doing one of these tests.
    Just got word today they want to interview so must have done okay its a Pharma company so quite high standards.

uncleiano wrote: »
    So are the shl practice tests typical style of the questions we will get? I only ask as there are so many variations of numerical and reasoning tests out there. Is there any idea what a pass score for both would be or how many questions they will have?

Yeah, shl are the test suppliers so the style will be very similar to the practise ones. I do think any shl ones I hsve done though hsve been more graph based but I have never done one for this management level before

Can we do them separately, ie verbal now, numerical tomorrow and situational the next day? Or do they have to be done one after the other

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chrismean

Sheeeessh, those shl practice numerical tests - the questions themselves, i acknowledge are not impossible. but the time pressure....25 mins - 18 questions. yikes. anyone else struggle?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

chrismean wrote: »
    Sheeeessh, those shl practice numerical tests - the questions themselves, i acknowledge are not impossible. but the time pressure....25 mins - 18 questions. yikes. anyone else struggle?

I'm gonna do the whole lot tonight. If i'm gonna get called it will down to my CV and experience and not down to figuring out how many tumble dryers were needed to make a profit lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,303 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Anyone know how long you have to complete these SHL tests when you open them on the actual AP application site?
    Never min 110 minutes for whole thing found in document.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

All done. Numerical was a little sticky let’s see what result falls out for me.

• Advertisement

All done here too. Numerical is usually my strongest but I struggled a bit with it and it's always so hard to tell the situational.. ... Fingers crossed 🀞 🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

how similar to the examples were they?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

how similar to the examples were they?

The examples give you an idea of 'how' to do them- not the difficulty of them........ The examples are significantly easier- than the actual ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

The examples give you an idea of 'how' to do them- not the difficulty of them........ The examples are significantly easier- than the actual ones.

Uh-oh. I found the examples really hard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Are they the same as the 2016 tests, or similar enough, which I think were shl also? The kind where you went "Er, if I was doing this in work, I'd have a spreadsheet add these things up for me..."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,303 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Are people just doing the couple of example questions here?
    https://www.shldirect.com/en/practice-tests
    Or where would I find some longer practice tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chrismean

i did the full length practice tests they have listed there. 
    @crunchymomma, did you have to do them sequentially?

chrismean wrote: »
    i did the full length practice tests they have listed there. 
    @crunchymomma, did you have to do them sequentially?

I actually don't know if I could hsve logged out, was scared to try hahaha so just ended up doing them in order anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tattycoram

Kicking myself that I didn't practice the numerical test more. If i'd double the time I'd have been grand but I panicked against the clock!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

tattycoram wrote: »
    Kicking myself that I didn't practice the numerical test more. If i'd double the time I'd have been grand but I panicked against the clock!

Don't worry- lots of us are in the same boat.
    The clock is your enemy on these.........

Advertisement