Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bringing Children To Games

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Browney7 wrote: »
    Realistically, Irish people would chance the thing if there was a rule in place at a certain age. If it was 2 you'd have people chancing 4 year olds and then when the steward says no and is confronted with a crying four year old with mom and dad at the gates of croke park it would be all over papers and Joe Duffy.

Decisions shouldn t be dictated by the minority who want to abuse the system no?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Browney7 wrote: »
    Realistically, Irish people would chance the thing if there was a rule in place at a certain age. If it was 2 you'd have people chancing 4 year olds and then when the steward says no and is confronted with a crying four year old with mom and dad at the gates of croke park it would be all over papers and Joe Duffy.
    Chance away but you will not have anywhere to place that 4 year old when they get very heavy after a few minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

this isnt about womens rights or caveman crap that people are quick to start throwing around. Let the father stay at home so the mother can go if needs be. its a parent issue, not a woman issue.

there are a few things too that need to be considered. This is not like being on a plane. On a plane you have bassinets for a baby to sleep in and you have overhead storage space. You also have aisles to easily get up and walk around in. And you are not obstructing other peoples views of events in front of you. Completely different situations and not at all comparable, other than the purchase of the seat for age groups.

Bringing an infant to a league or early round championship game is also not the same. Its rarely if ever a sell out so moving around the ground or seating areas, not being around people and having space is much easier. This is an all Ireland final. There wont be a spare seat anywhere.

Anyone who is a parent knows how much stuff you end up bringing out with an infant. Bottles, food, clothes, nappies, cloths, wipes, nappy bags. Its a whole bag of stuff in itself. So no seat for the child, you are holding it on your lap. As decent as the seats are in Croke Park, there is damn all space there. you wouldnt get to move anything. If it was me, and if I was adamant I was bringing my infant, I'd actually prefer to know I had a spare seat beside me just tot leave the bag on it so I could get stuff out of it and have elbow room to hold the child. It is in the childs best interests to have a seat there for it, it gives the parent and child more room in an already confined space.

I love kids, I love seeing kids at matches. But the last thing I'd want on AI final day is to be beside a new born baby. You'd be mindful of not being overly loud. Not moving much or jumping up at scores or whatever. It would be no way at all enjoyable. And as a parent, I couldnt think of anything worse on AI final day of being stuck in such confines in a row of seats with no easy way in or out other than getting everyone to move for you carrying a child and a bag full of infant stuff. You wouldnt get any enjoyment at all watching the game.

and above all, no one is forcing her to go. it's down for the rules at the moment that a ticket is needed. either go or dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Who s saying she is above the rules...the argument is whether the rule is fair. Everyone is entitled to complain same as you are doing about her.

Who says its not fair? Again a problem with the modern world. Oh that's not fair on me so ill go sulk about it

Keano wrote: »
    Chance away but you will not have anywhere to place that 4 year old when they get very heavy after a few minutes.

That's the parents problem not anyone elses

• Advertisement

cms88 wrote: »
    Who says its not fair? Again a problem with the modern world. Oh that's not fair on me so ill go sulk about it

She says it's not fair , she s not sulking she s complaining. Why do you think she s sulking or do you conflate both words?

bruschi wrote: »
    this isnt about womens rights or caveman crap that people are quick to start throwing around. Let the father stay at home so the mother can go if needs be. its a parent issue, not a woman issue.

there are a few things too that need to be considered. This is not like being on a plane. On a plane you have bassinets for a baby to sleep in and you have overhead storage space. You also have aisles to easily get up and walk around in. And you are not obstructing other peoples views of events in front of you. Completely different situations and not at all comparable, other than the purchase of the seat for age groups.

Bringing an infant to a league or early round championship game is also not the same. Its rarely if ever a sell out so moving around the ground or seating areas, not being around people and having space is much easier. This is an all Ireland final. There wont be a spare seat anywhere.

Anyone who is a parent knows how much stuff you end up bringing out with an infant. Bottles, food, clothes, nappies, cloths, wipes, nappy bags. Its a whole bag of stuff in itself. So no seat for the child, you are holding it on your lap. As decent as the seats are in Croke Park, there is damn all space there. you wouldnt get to move anything. If it was me, and if I was adamant I was bringing my infant, I'd actually prefer to know I had a spare seat beside me just tot leave the bag on it so I could get stuff out of it and have elbow room to hold the child. It is in the childs best interests to have a seat there for it, it gives the parent and child more room in an already confined space.

I love kids, I love seeing kids at matches. But the last thing I'd want on AI final day is to be beside a new born baby. You'd be mindful of not being overly loud. Not moving much or jumping up at scores or whatever. It would be no way at all enjoyable. And as a parent, I couldnt think of anything worse on AI final day of being stuck in such confines in a row of seats with no easy way in or out other than getting everyone to move for you carrying a child and a bag full of infant stuff. You wouldnt get any enjoyment at all watching the game.

and above all, no one is forcing her to go. it's down for the rules at the moment that a ticket is needed. either go or dont.

She s making a point that she doesn t believe the rule to be fair though, I'm sure she s aware of the either go or don't option already.

She says it's not fair , she s not sulking she s complaining. Why do you think she s sulking or do you conflate both words?

So one person doesn't think its fair and they think it should be changed to suit them? Of cousre she's sulking, she's not getting her way

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Keano wrote: »

And what will happen ?
    The kid/parent aren't likely to leave so it ends up there isnt room for everyone in that particular section.
    H&S issue straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

She s making a point that she doesn t believe the rule to be fair though, I'm sure she s aware of the either go or don't option already.

She doesn't believe it's fair ,that her issue. GAA think it is so thats the end of it.

Some hero will most likely offer them a free ticket and all will be good in the world again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

yabadabado wrote: »
    She doesn't believe it's fair ,that her issue. GAA think it is so thats the end of it.

Some hero will most likely offer them a free ticket and all will be good in the world again.

Imagine searching the length and breadth of the country for a ticket, only to find out one was given to a toddler :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Said it before

Those guys bringing babies to games, strapped to their bellies facing out with big ear muffs on the child are there to get on the TV cameras .

I can see no other reason, the child could easily be injured, it's not the right environment IMO, it's just using a baby for self promotion.

And in general those baby strap things on men look stupid. My wife tried to get me to use one with more success

I've said it off you all go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It's not really. We keep hearing parents complain and moan about how everyone is out to get them airlines, hotels etc This is just another example of it.

If she wants to bring her child that's fine, but she has to pay. It's pretty simple she has a child so she thinks she's entitled to be able to bring it in for free. Why is that?

Because the child is 4 months old and will spend the game strapped to her body. He does not require his own seat. Why should she buy a ticket for a seat for a child, when he does not need need one and has zero ability to actually sit in it?

Most one year olds are perfectly capable of sitting in a seat by the age of one, yet airlines still allow kids to go free up to the age of 2, as do the Aviva stadium. It boggles the mind that anyone would have a problem with a similar system being in place in Croke Park.

So one person doesn't think its fair and they think it should be changed to suit them? Of cousre she's sulking, she's not getting her way

Are you sulking now or just complaining about her? How does it work?

yabadabado wrote: »

So no one should express an opinion and we should all shut up and put up yeah, like in the good old days?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Stoner wrote: »
    Said it before

Those guys bringing babies to games, strapped to their bellies facing out with big ear muffs the child are there to get on the TV cameras .

I can see no other reason, the child could easily be injured, it's not the right environment IMO, it's just using a baby for self promotion.

And in general those baby strap things on men look stupid. My wife tried to get me to use one with more success

I absolutely agree with you. Babies as accessories always annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Imagine searching the length and breadth of the country for a ticket, only to find out one was given to a toddler :D

Worlds gone crazy. No kids under 6 should be allowed in wasting seats and getting in the way.

So no one should express an opinion and we should all shut up and put up yeah, like in the good old days?

People are given their opinion as well. You just don't seem to agree with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭harpsman

Said it before

Those guys bringing babies to games, strapped to their bellies facing out with big ear muffs the child are there to get on the TV cameras .

Call me old fashioned but i always form a certain opinion of a man if i see him wearing one of those harnesses-bit like Apu with the bottles strapped to him.

We are at peak "stupid whinge about the gaa" season. While i get as fed up as anyone explaining to people why most of their whinges are idiotic i do think the gaa could show a bit f leeway when it comes to babies. In most situations a small nursing baby is not considered as another person and is usually allowed free of charge as it is almost attached to its mother at that stage.

I know that this would involve having an arbitrary cut off at some stage and this would no doubt be tested by selfish chancers it might be something cp just have to deal with. As somebody said the Aviva and ryanair can manage it.

The last time i heard this row was from a tyrone family as well-must be a nordie self indulgent thing

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

The debate on bringing kids to matches has reminded me of something I came across when looking through a newspaper archive from 1980:
    "By the time the throw-in for the senior match between Armagh and Roscommon arrived, more than 36,000 paying customers were in Croke Park. Others were still outside spending much time and effort getting public address appeals within to lost parents, sisters, brothers and children, appealing for them to come out again. Small lost children at Croke Park have now become so common that one wonders about the fuss which is going on about abortion and contraception. It is absolutely clear to me that many parents don't deserve children and there are many more who bring what children they have to Croke Park in an effort to lose them".
    The past is a foreign country etc etc

• Advertisement

harpsman wrote: »
    Call me old fashioned but i always form a certain opinion of a man if i see him wearing one of those harnesses-bit like Apu with the bottles strapped to him.

We are at peak "stupid whinge about the gaa" season. While i get as fed up as anyone explaining to people why most of their whinges are idiotic i do think the gaa could show a bit f leeway when it comes to babies. In most situations a small nursing baby is not considered as another person and is usually allowed free of charge as it is almost attached to its mother at that stage.

I know that this would involve having an arbitrary cut off at some stage and this would no doubt be tested by selfish chancers it might be something cp just have to deal with. As somebody said the Aviva and ryanair can manage it.

The last time i heard this row was from a tyrone family as well-must be a nordie self indulgent thing

You'd be doing well to just be called old fashioned after the first paragraph, but you redeemed yourself as you went on. A man strapping his own child to his chest to take him/her wherever they need to go, shouldn't be looked down on & derided.

What if he has a toddler with him too, so he needs his hands free to hang onto him? Does he get his gold card to the man cave back, if there are mitigating circumstances? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

They should keep their Tyrone weins with granny in Tyrone. I don't think football games are places for young children anyway, even when I was 7/8 I was a bit scared of the rowdy Armagh/Tyrone fans.

I went to my first game aged 7 in 1999, I don't know what game though, either v Cavan or Armagh, I think I remember Joe Brolly scoring a great point. I technically met the Derry captain as a baby though, when the Sam Maguire came to the primary school. People older than me would have went to games earlier though as Derry used to play games in South Derry before Celtic Park in the 90s, the games were easier to get to pre 90s.

Said it before

http://uk.businessinsider.com/baby-bonding-oxytocin-opioids-euphoria-2016-10?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

It's been shown that dogs produce oxytocin when in the company of their owners. Doesn't mean you should strap it to your chest and try and cadge a free All Ireland ticket though.

It's been shown that dogs produce oxytocin when in the company of their owners. Doesn't mean you should strap it to your chest and try and cadge a free All Ireland ticket though.

Unless your mammary glands produce milk & your dog has a not entirely healthy relationship with your nipples, that's hardly a relevant comparison. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Imagine the outrage if Dublin lose to Tyrone for a potential 4 in a row in the All Ireland final?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ProudDUB wrote:
    What if he has a toddler with him too, so he needs his hands free to hang onto him? Does he get his gold card to the man cave back, if there are mitigating circumstances?

I'd have the baby in a buggy rather than waddle after a toddler, I can barely catch mine as it is, never mind do it with another one strapped to me.

I know you haven't suggested it but
    I certainly wouldn't bring a child to the hill strapped to the front of me, because it's dangerous. I'd get a sitter or miss the games until is safe to bring them.

All that said, in a seat on your lap, I can't see the issue with a baby going for free.

My wife spent a fortune on one of those things for me.

I gave it the full monty at home, strapped on son, sandals, mobile phone in a leather belt pouch, Swiss army knife in a pouch on the other side, leather hat proving I was in Australia for a year, stainless steel water bottle clipped on, pedal pusher combats showing some of my Maori leg tattoo and finally a backpack for baby clothes, nappies, food etc. It was all very cosy.

I wasn't always just a Dad you know, I've traveled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Charging 80 euro for a ticket for the baby is not going to change the H&S aspect of this. One vacant seat is not going to change noise levels or any other risk posed to the child.I personally would not bring my infant child to a game like that.
    My reading of it is that the GAA will overlook H&S for 80 euro? Put an age limit on tickets with an explanation as to why.Maybe insurance won't cover it?
    But when I see the GAA charge 80 euro for all young hurling and football supporters,who play the game every week,go to all league and championship games,the future of the game,then I see it as money means more than "customer loyalty" as such. I would be ok with 50 euro for an under 16. These kids are helping to keep the GAA alive.
    With regard to this case,I don't think the child should be there. But if the mother/parent is going to bring them then don't think it's justified to charge 80 euro for a seat that will never be used.

jluv wrote:
    Charging 80 euro for a ticket for the baby is not going to change the H&S aspect of this. One vacant seat is not going to change noise levels or any other risk posed to the child.I personally would not bring my infant child to a game like that. My reading of it is that the GAA will overlook H&S for 80 euro?
    Agreed, it's either a H&S issue it it's not.

IMO it's not a good environment for a baby. Particularly in terraces.

We were at a game two years ago, my friend had his young son in a seat , a guy behind him upset at the game lashed out and kicked the chair smashing it with the young boy in it. He'd have been safer on his dad's knee.

• Advertisement

I'd have the baby in a buggy rather than waddle after a toddler, I can barely catch mine as it is, never mind do it with another one strapped to me.

I know you haven't suggested it but
    I certainly wouldn't bring a child to the hill strapped to the front of me, because it's dangerous. I'd get a sitter or miss the games until is safe to bring them.

All that said, in a seat on your lap, I can't see the issue with a baby going for free.

My wife spent a fortune on one of those things for me.

I gave it the full monty at home, strapped on son, sandals, mobile phone in a leather belt pouch, Swiss army knife in a pouch on the other side, leather hat proving I was in Australia for a year, stainless steel water bottle clipped on, pedal pusher combats showing some of my Maori leg tattoo and finally a backpack for baby clothes, nappies, food etc. It was all very cosy.

I wasn't always just a Dad you know, I've traveled.

Am not entirely sure who I should forward this to for a response....a good psychologist, a marriage therapist, a mens fashion guru (perhaps Paul Galvin is free, sure what else would he be doing at this time of year) or Bear Grylls. Can I get back to you on that?

At the end of the day, the child in question survived the ordeal of the semi final. Thankfully, he was not so traumatized by experiencing such an incredibly dangerous/hazardous/monsoon and heatwave prone/loud/rowdy/violent/drunken environment, that his mother was put off bringing him again. That should be celebrated.

(It is a miracle that any of us make it out of there alive really, isn't it? :rolleyes: )

We have some, neck on here, presuming to dictate to her what she should and shouldn't do with her own child. That should not be the issue under discussion here. The issue is Croke Park's ridiculous policy of making people purchase a ticket for a baby that will be strapped to their chest and will not require a seat. It is an utter nonsense if that gets talked about less, than dictating to a total stranger what she should or shouldn't do with her own child.

Advertisement