Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing Children To Games

Options
245

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88


    greenspurs wrote: »
    Mothers have breast fed babies since the year dot .? So that's hardly a new addition to the 'modern world' ?? :confused:

    (but I don't agree that she should be bringing an infant to a major sporting event)

    Where did i say anything about breast feeding? It's about modern parents thinking the world should stop to suit them


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB


    As I can see it the issue isn't breastfeeding, rather it's health and safety. A crowded stadium is not an appropriate place for a 16 week old baby, whether it's strapped to its mother or not.

    The faux outrage is symptomatic of modern society. A child is far more precious than a bloody game and putting it in a situation where the risk of injury is heightened is not just irresponsible, it's downright selfish. What if the day is a scorcher? Or it pisses out of the heavens.

    If the GAA are to be ridiculed over anything here it's that they allow children enter the ground at such a young age in the first place. There's a big difference between bringing an infant to a local club match with a couple of hundred spectators and bringing them to Croke Park on All Ireland final day.

    This is not a women's rights issue. The GAA are not some malevolent agent of the patriarchy secretly working to suppress gender equality. Parents make sacrifices. It's that simple. The child's well-being supersedes the parents desire to treat them as an accessory on All Ireland final and parade them around social media in their replica jerseys.

    Rant over.

    So what are parents supposed to do? Lock them up until their kids are 18? Make all mammys stay home with their kids until they are old enough to ride a bike, or walk to school on their own, or rob apples from the orchard?

    The woman incubated another human being inside her own body for 9 months. I think I'll trust her - and all parents - to do their own risk management assement and decide for themselves whether their child is at risk from a bit of rain, or the sorching 100 degree weather that Ireland is famous for in September.

    The Aviva's policy of allowing babes in arms under 2 into stadium at no charge/ticketless, is spot on. Making someone pay for a ticket that won't even be used is beyond stupid, especially if the game is a final or a sellout.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88


    ProudDUB wrote: »
    So what are parents supposed to do? Lock them up until their kids are 18? Make all mammys stay home with their kids until they are old enough to ride a bike, or walk to school on their own, or rob apples from the orchard?

    The woman incubated another human being inside her own body for 9 months. I think I'll trust her - and all parents - to do their own risk management assement and decide for themselves whether their child is at risk from a bit of rain, or the sorching 100 degree weather that Ireland is famous for in September.

    The Aviva's policy is spot policy on, by allowing babes in arms under 2 into stadium at no charge/ticketless. Making someone pay for a ticket that won't even be used is beyond stupid, especially if the game is a final or a sellout.

    Where is anyone saying anything like that? One thing i'm really sick of is parents and their sob stories about how the world is out to get them


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox


    I think that Croke Park don't want thousands of infants at this game but equally (from a PR perspective) don't want to come out and say "we don't want babies in our stadium". They make up this rule to discourage people bringing their infants in the hopes that most people will just say **** that and stay at home.

    Wonder will this grow legs and force another statement/climbdown from HQ? Either way the PR team are earning their money this summer (or not depending on how you look at it)


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB


    cms88 wrote: »
    Where is anyone saying anything like that? One thing i'm really sick of is parents and their sob stories about how the world is out to get them

    The post I quoted - if you bothered to read it - referenced the weather.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam


    ProudDUB wrote: »
    So what are parents supposed to do? Lock them up until their kids are 18? Make all mammys stay home with their kids until they are old enough to ride a bike, or walk to school on their own, or rob apples from the orchard?

    The woman incubated another human being inside her own body for 9 months. I think I'll trust her - and all parents - to do their own risk management assement and decide for themselves whether their child is at risk from a bit of rain, or the sorching 100 degree weather that Ireland is famous for in September.

    The Aviva's policy of allowing babes in arms under 2 into stadium at no charge/ticketless, is spot on. Making someone pay for a ticket that won't even be used is beyond stupid, especially if the game is a final or a sellout.
    Get them minded ? Like we all did .


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88


    ProudDUB wrote: »
    The post I quoted - if you bothered to read it - referenced the weather.

    Answer my question as to why parents think the world should change them? Or why they think said world is also out to ge them?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne


    I honestly don't see what this lady is moaning about. I can't get my head around it. She is obviously a huge Tyrone fan and doesn't want to miss the match. Well if it means that much to her she's gonna have to pay the €80 to have her infant with her. If she feel this is too expensive then she can stay at home. (She could always take the infant to the pub I suppose but that's a discussion for another day). Personally I wouldn't take a 16 week infant to an All-Ireland final if the GAA were paying me €80 to do it.

    The sense of entitlement in this country is gone stone mad lately if you ask me


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB


    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Get them minded ? Like we all did .

    Why should she have to? If she and the child are physically capable of enjoying a day out in Croke Park, then more power to them. No one here should be lecturing her about whether or not it is safe or right to take a child to Croke Park. Thousands of kids - young and old - have been to games there and come to no harm, including the children of players as young as new borns. Who has any right to tell them their kids should be left at home? I certainly don't.

    The issue is the requirement to buy a ticket. She should not be forced to purchase a ticket for a seat, if that the child will not be occuping that seat. If the child does require its own seat, then yes, a ticket should be required for him or her. If an airline can have and implement such a rule without much hassle, why can't a stadium? A plane is a 2 ton metal tub, filled with explosive fuel and flown 30,000 up in the air, yet I don't see anyone telling people that it is unsafe to take their kids on a plane. It is a ridiculous suggestion, as it telling someone she should not go to Croke Park and stay at home and mind her child. Such attitudes belong in the stone age.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam


    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Why should she have to? If she and the child are physically capable of enjoying a day out in Croke Park, then more power to them. No one here should be lecturing her about whether or not it is safe or right to take a child to Croke Park. Thousands of kids - young and old - have been to games there and come to no harm, including the children of players as young as new borns. Who has any right to tell them their kids should be left at home? I certainly don't.

    The issue is the requirement to buy a ticket. She should not be forced to purchase a ticket for a seat, if that the child will not be occuping that seat. If the child does require its own seat, then yes, a ticket should be required for him or her. If an airline can have and implement such a rule without much hassle, why can't a stadium? A plane is a 2 ton metal tub, filled with explosive fuel and flown 30,000 up in the air, yet I don't see anyone telling people that it is unsafe to take their kids on a plane. It is a ridiculous suggestion, as it telling someone she should not go to Croke Park and stay at home and mind her child. Such attitudes belong in the stone age.

    My answer was to a post that asked what a parent was meant to do . At no stage did I dictate who should or shouldn't choose options . But there are options other than a mother staying at home like the post implied


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88


    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Why should she have to? If she and the child are physically capable of enjoying a day out in Croke Park, then more power to them. No one here should be lecturing her about whether or not it is safe or right to take a child to Croke Park. Thousands of kids - young and old - have been to games there and come to no harm, including the children of players as young as new borns. Who has any right to tell them their kids should be left at home? I certainly don't.

    The issue is the requirement to buy a ticket. She should not be forced to purchase a ticket for a seat, if that the child will not be occuping that seat. If the child does require its own seat, then yes, a ticket should be required for him or her. If an airline can have and implement such a rule without much hassle, why can't a stadium? A plane is a 2 ton metal tub, filled with explosive fuel and flown 30,000 up in the air, yet I don't see anyone telling people that it is unsafe to take their kids on a plane. It is a ridiculous suggestion, as it telling someone she should not go to Croke Park and stay at home and mind her child. Such attitudes belong in the stone age.

    No one is forcing her to buy a ticket for the child are they? IS she being forced into bringing the child?

    There's a very simple answer to this, but alass like many things nowadays when its an answer people don't like they'll go off and sulk about it


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver


    cms88 wrote: »
    Answer my question as to why parents think the world should change them? Or why they think said world is also out to ge them?

    What are you even talking about, 'parents think the world is out to get them' blanket statement alert. She wants to bring her child to the match for whatever reasons , it's by no means a health and safety issue, the child will not be occupying a seat bar the seat that is her person. She will have paid for her own seat, she shouldn't have to pay extra. Simple really.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox


    I honestly don't see what this lady is moaning about. I can't get my head around it. She is obviously a huge Tyrone fan and doesn't want to miss the match. Well if it means that much to her she's gonna have to pay the €80 to have her infant with her. If she feel this is too expensive then she can stay at home. (She could always take the infant to the pub I suppose but that's a discussion for another day). Personally I wouldn't take a 16 week infant to an All-Ireland final if the GAA were paying me €80 to do it.

    The sense of entitlement in this country is gone stone mad lately if you ask me

    I think people are making the point that if it's a health and safety issue they should come out and say no babies allowed as it's too crowded or whatever.

    If it isn't a health and safety issue, and babies are welcome, then there is no logic in having someone pay for a seat that won't be used.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88


    Dannyriver wrote: »
    What are you even talking about, 'parents think the world is out to get them' blanket statement alert. She wants to bring her child to the match for whatever reasons , it's by no means a health and safety issue, the child will not be occupying a seat bar the seat that is her person. She will have paid for her own seat, she shouldn't have to pay extra. Simple really.

    It's not really. We keep hearing parents complain and moan about how everyone is out to get them airlines, hotels etc This is just another example of it.

    If she wants to bring her child that's fine, but she has to pay. It's pretty simple she has a child so she thinks she's entitled to be able to bring it in for free. Why is that?


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65


    Keano wrote: »
    Sure why is she allowed out of the house in the first place. Husband should be fined for letting her out.

    I don’t think anyone here mentioned her husband. What’s her husband got to do with anything. She may not be in possession of such a thing as a husband. They’re not compulsory you know.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof


    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Why should she have to? If she and the child are physically capable of enjoying a day out in Croke Park, then more power to them. No one here should be lecturing her about whether or not it is safe or right to take a child to Croke Park. Thousands of kids - young and old - have been to games there and come to no harm, including the children of players as young as new borns. Who has any right to tell them their kids should be left at home? I certainly don't.

    The issue is the requirement to buy a ticket. She should not be forced to purchase a ticket for a seat, if that the child will not be occuping that seat. If the child does require its own seat, then yes, a ticket should be required for him or her. If an airline can have and implement such a rule without much hassle, why can't a stadium? A plane is a 2 ton metal tub, filled with explosive fuel and flown 30,000 up in the air, yet I don't see anyone telling people that it is unsafe to take their kids on a plane. It is a ridiculous suggestion, as it telling someone she should not go to Croke Park and stay at home and mind her child. Such attitudes belong in the stone age.

    Touching as that sentiment is there are hundreds of instances in every day life where the presence of young children is restricted due to health and safety concerns. Parents do not always know best, as is illustrated constantly nowadays.

    And it makes perfect sense to pay for a ticket. If the parent is foolhardy enough to bring the child to the game at least there will be some elbow room. That way the child is afforded some modicum of protection and other supporters won't have to concern themselves with knocking against them every time there's a bit of excitement.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver


    cms88 wrote: »
    It's not really. We keep hearing parents complain and moan about how everyone is out to get them airlines, hotels etc This is just another example of it.

    If she wants to bring her child that's fine, but she has to pay. It's pretty simple she has a child so she thinks she's entitled to be able to bring it in for free. Why is that?

    We don t keep hearing parents complain its just that parents that don t complain tend not to be news worthy the same as peaceful law abiding people teenagers/immigrants/Muslims/travelers, whoever, are not news worthy so we don't hear about them either. Because its in the news doesn't make it an epidemic.

    As for the second part she has bought her ticket her child is not requiring a seat as he/she will be stuck on to her. The GAA are asinine to not recognize this. The cost to come down from Tyrone etc is pricey enough without the added expence.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado


    If a parent wants to bring their baby to game that's their prerogative but anyone entering the match should have a ticket.Pay for a ticket or don't go.
    At what age do you stop a kid coming in to sit on their parents knee?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver


    yabadabado wrote: »
    If a parent wants to bring their baby to game that's their prerogative but anyone entering the match should have a ticket.Pay for a ticket or don't go.
    At what age do you stop a kid coming in to sit on their parents knee?

    3


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado


    Dannyriver wrote: »
    3
    Do you have to show the kids ID or bring the birth cert ?

    But my 4 year old is tiny.I want them to come in for free.
    It's a disgrace Joe, they letting in 3 year olds who are twice the size of my kid.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne


    ProudDUB wrote: »
    A plane is a 2 ton metal tub, filled with explosive fuel and flown 30,000 up in the air, yet I don't see anyone telling people that it is unsafe to take their kids on a plane. It is a ridiculous suggestion, as it telling someone she should not go to Croke Park and stay at home and mind her child. Such attitudes belong in the stone age.

    82,500 people in one stadium with many of them after a load of drink could be hazardous too to be fair.

    If she wants to go that badly, buy 2 tickets. Simples.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver


    yabadabado wrote: »
    Do you have to show the kids ID or bring the birth cert ?

    But my 4 year old is tiny.I want them to come in for free.
    It's a disgrace Joe, they letting in 3 year olds who are twice the size of my kid.

    Yes set up a system where to do this is easy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado


    Dannyriver wrote: »
    Yes set up a system where to do this is easy.

    There is already a system.

    Buy a ticket for anyone who wants to enter the ground.
    No ticket ,no entry.Simple.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88


    Dannyriver wrote: »
    We don t keep hearing parents complain its just that parents that don t complain tend not to be news worthy the same as peaceful law abiding people teenagers/immigrants/Muslims/travelers, whoever, are not news worthy so we don't hear about them either. Because its in the news doesn't make it an epidemic.

    As for the second part she has bought her ticket her child is not requiring a seat as he/she will be stuck on to her. The GAA are asinine to not recognize this. The cost to come down from Tyrone etc is pricey enough without the added expence.

    Yes we do. By your tone you're more than likely a parent so that's why you claim it's not happening.

    Why should she be above the rules? It's not just this every year there are parents who show up to matches with kids and go on a rant when they have to pay for them? So again why do they think they're entitled to do this?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne


    I think people are making the point that if it's a health and safety issue they should come out and say no babies allowed as it's too crowded or whatever.

    If it isn't a health and safety issue, and babies are welcome, then there is no logic in having someone pay for a seat that won't be used.

    The stadium capacity is 85,500 give or take a couple of hundred OK? Now theoretically if 20,000 new mothers all brought their newborns to the match then there would be 105,500 inside the ground. God forbid anything were to happen, but accidents do happen. Who do you think would bear the brunt of it if worst come to the worst and there were fatalities? The GAA, that's who. Now I'm not their greatest fan by any means but jesus this poor mother needs to get a grip for Christ's sake. It's a bloody football match after all. You'd swear she was after being denied access to Noah's Ark with the way people are going on about it.

    *unlikely 20,000 newborns would be brought anyway but you get where I'm coming from surely?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin


    Bash The GAA all you want but let's get real, anyone bringing a sixteen week old baby to an event like an AI final needs their head checked.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver


    cms88 wrote: »
    Yes we do. By your tone you're more than likely a parent so that's why you claim it's not happening.

    Why should she be above the rules? It's not just this every year there are parents who show up to matches with kids and go on a rant when they have to pay for them? So again why do they think they're entitled to do this?

    Who s saying she is above the rules...the argument is whether the rule is fair. Everyone is entitled to complain same as you are doing about her.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver


    The stadium capacity is 85,500 give or take a couple of hundred OK? Now theoretically if 20,000 new mothers all brought their newborns to the match then there would be 105,500 inside the ground. God forbid anything were to happen, but accidents do happen. Who do you think would bear the brunt of it if worst come to the worst and there were fatalities? The GAA, that's who. Now I'm not their greatest fan by any means but jesus this poor mother needs to get a grip for Christ's sake. It's a bloody football match after all. You'd swear she was after being denied access to Noah's Ark with the way people are going on about it.

    *unlikely 20,000 newborns would be brought anyway but you get where I'm coming from surely?

    No because you ve set up an unrealistic scenario and asked us to treat it as real.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver


    Touching as that sentiment is there are hundreds of instances in every day life where the presence of young children is restricted due to health and safety concerns. Parents do not always know best, as is illustrated constantly nowadays.

    And it makes perfect sense to pay for a ticket. If the parent is foolhardy enough to bring the child to the game at least there will be some elbow room. That way the child is afforded some modicum of protection and other supporters won't have to concern themselves with knocking against them every time there's a bit of excitement.

    80 bucks for elbow room?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7


    Realistically, Irish people would chance the thing if there was a rule in place at a certain age. If it was 2 you'd have people chancing 4 year olds and then when the steward says no and is confronted with a crying four year old with mom and dad at the gates of croke park it would be all over papers and Joe Duffy.


Advertisement