Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Fitz II wrote: »
    Well looks like Big Navi is a load of crap from the Zen 3 launch figures.

She would have been better off leaving it out IMO. Seemed tacked on and unclear - what card even is this? Still hoping it’s all part of the master disinformation plan though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Spear wrote: »
    There's a German seller on Amazon claiming to have 5 Zotac 3090's in stock, so I've ordered one, and I'll soon see if it's legit.

Whats the prices like?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So looks like a 20gb version of the 3080 is set to be released in December?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

So looks like a 20gb version of the 3080 is set to be released in December?

Highly unlikely.

Highly unlikely.

How so....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Highly unlikely.

Even if it isn't 20GB there is high likelihood that a Ti variant of some description is on the way.

jebidiah wrote: »
    Even if it isn't 20GB there is high likelihood that a Ti variant of some description is on the way.

Not this year. Maybe second quarter of 2021, if AMD actually have something that can compete.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    How so....

They're not going to release a TI/Super varient of cards and effectively obsolete their brand new cards within 3 months of a launch where they haven't been able to keep up with demand.

There's already a massive backlog big of orders for 3080s they are struggling to keep up with.

• Advertisement

They're not going to release a TI/Super varient of cards and effectively obsolete their brand new cards within 3 months of a launch where they haven't been able to keep up with demand.

There's already a massive backlog big of orders for 3080s they are struggling to keep up with.

They would if AMD have a GPU that is competitive, and a 20GB variant will ease the pressure off the 10GB variant giving people choice...time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Went for this. Amazon won't bill till after they ship. So no reason not to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Whats the prices like?

It was £1700, so about €2k. That's toward the higher end of 3090 prices, but the alternative is nothing at all. It dispatched a few minutes ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

They would if AMD have a GPU that is competitive, and a 20GB variant will ease the pressure off the 10GB variant giving people choice...time will tell.

Don't see that happening.

How many gamers play at 4k overall. Ultrawide and 1440p at high refresh is the main arena at the moment, that may change, but ultimately the mid-range cards sell more anyway.

I play at 4k at 120hz and the 3080 with 10GB GDDR6X is perfect.

Developers aren't going to be going nuts with textures that use more vram than the masses have (mid range is where they aim performance for). A 20GB card isn't going to perform better but will cost more. Who will pay more for a card that does more on a resolution they don't play on. That's why the 3080 is in odd place. Its performance leaps are only good when playing on higher and higher resolutions, and not so much for higher frames. The real sweet spot is higher refresh on higher resolution. So 4k at 120Hz with g-sync is where I'm at.

A 3080ti simply doesn't have anywhere to fit. The 3090 already costs double, but barely performs any better, even at 4K and it has 24GB of VRAM which doesn't really help at all. A 3080ti with maybe 5-10-percent more performance, more VRAM and extra 200 bones minimum.

If anyone thinks developers are suddenly going to start making games use twice as much VRAM, when only a tiny amount of gamers actually have that amount, they need to think again. If we are talking future future, then direct storage negates the need, as they will be able to swap in and out data much quicker and VRAM amount won't be as important as VRAM and storage speed.

And on that, how many people play at 8K, four?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eigenboggle

And on that, how many people play at 8K, four?

Does VR count as 8k? If 2 eyes, both at 4k. ;)

I wonder will the increasing accessibility of decent VR headsets encourage sales of mid to higher tier graphics cards to run them at better resolution / higher frame rate.

I wonder will the increasing accessibility of decent VR headsets encourage sales of mid to higher tier graphics cards to run them at better resolution / higher frame rate.

I'm awaiting my 3080. Cancelled the 3090. And I've a Valve index, be interesting so see there are improvements.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I know you're joking. But two 4k monitor is still only half as many pixels as 1 8k monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eigenboggle

I'm awaiting my 3080. Cancelled the 3090. And I've a Valve index, be interesting so see there are improvements.

I'm waiting on the 3080 and the HP reverb G2. Really hoping both arrive in time for some annual leave I've booked in December. I've seen a few youtubers running the G2 on a 2070super with good results, so hoping the 3080 will be the business. I'm 160ish in the EVGA queue with scan and they reckon November at the latest for delivery.

Really like the look of the new Gigabyte Auros GTX cards....I was all for Asus Strix but I would consider the Auros, the RGB is subtle and well done.

• Advertisement

Mate of mine has an index and said his 3080 FE is a massive improvement over the 1070 he previously had

So the US just had a founders edition drop on Best Buy. No sign of anything for EU.....

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Looks like there not selling it on the Nvidia website for the next while,. only bestbuy for the US and......no-one currently for the EU

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/402196/nvidia-store-update-geforce-rtx-3080-and-rtx-3090-/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

That's a balls. Had my heart set on an FE.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Yep, me too. It was literally the only card I was considering. I had the chance to get a TUF this week too and I said no, I'll wait for the FE.

Obviously all their scalpers on ebay are complaining that they can't shift the product so they decided to cut supplies until they're gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TUF is better than FE in everything except looks, you're daft :pac:

Looks are the most important thing with PC Performance.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Many might not agree with it but my reasoning for the FE is as follows:

1. Price - I'm already pushing my own limit by going for a 3080 instead of a 3070

2. Thermals - The cooling solution in the FE definitely makes the chip run hotter than other models but almost all tests seem to be run on a bench rather than in a case. My RAM runs quite hot as it is so I think the rear fan on the FE may help push more air this direction and that combined with the exhaust fan on the back might help the overall system thermals even if the chip itself runs slightly hotter.

3. Looks - Yes, they do come into it for me. It seems every manufacturer these days produces cards with a colour scheme that wouldn't be far from the vomit you'd expect to see come out of the love child of a care-bear and a pokemon with the nastiest plastic fan that can be found superglued onto it at a cock-eyed angle.

4. Size - It seems to be the neatest.

I may have to revise my thinking if they are not available though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Founders edition are hens teeth so unless you run a bot/distill/f5 all day then it seems fairly unobtainable, nvidias new stance on using bestbuy to sell them to USA market with Europe getting shafted is another kick in the nuts (we have no idea when they will start selling them again on their own website)

I am contemplating going for an evga card and doing their step up program as currently am gpuless with an AMD cpu meaning i cannot use pc

albeit.. I want the 3080 fe but it just seems it will be well into 2021 when they may become more readily available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,958 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

BArra wrote: »
    Founders edition are hens teeth so unless you run a bot/distill/f5 all day then it seems fairly unobtainable, nvidias new stance on using bestbuy to sell them to USA market with Europe getting shafted is another kick in the nuts (we have no idea when they will start selling them again on their own website)

I am contemplating going for an evga card and doing their step up program as currently am gpuless with an AMD cpu meaning i cannot use pc

albeit.. I want the 3080 fe but it just seems it will be well into 2021 when they may become more readily available

I bought a RX580 to tide me over until the 3080 FE is available again. Going to keep the 580 as a spare then as well.

Advertisement