Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

i think its really silly to preorder one of these before having any non biased reviews of performance in rasterization compared to pascal. To me its a massive red flag that nvidias entire conference avoided just that issue.

Also watched the new jay2cents video on pricing and how its a good thing, in essence he is saying nvidia had just renamed the titan to 2080ti to avoid making it confusing and make the whole linup simpler from the start. Does he really think nvidia wont release a 2*** titan for €2000 and then a 2080ti^2 at €1200 if AMD/Intel do nothing over the next year or two.

I am personally excited to see the real world benchmarks on these cards but the prices are nuts, And I would consider myself an enthusiast when it comes to spending on pc hardware, have a lovely 1080ti that broke my previous limit "how much I'm willing to spend on a single component", no way in hell I'm spending 1200 or up on a gpu though. The problem is these 2080ti's probably will sell out everywhere and at the crazy prices, which will then lead nvidia to price the next generation way up again and again.

It's kinda shocking to see Jay so far off the mark in that Nvidia will not have a Titan RTX for sale in the next 4-6 months going by past actions not to mention theres no way they're dropping the Titan brand and he really should know better. Hell, two Titan cards were released during Pascal's lifetime so I don't feel it's beyond the realms of possibility that a "refreshed" 2080 Ti card wont be on sale in a years time.

Nvidia has consistently been bumping up the pricing of the 80 and 70 series cards the last few years and now we're at the stage where SLI only starts on the 2080 and upwards unlike with Pascal where it started at the 1070.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

BloodBath wrote: »
    This isn't just some proprietary crap to try and shut AMD out of the market. It's DX12 based.

And Direct X is just another proprietary thing by Microsoft to make Windows dominate. Nvidia hasn't made any effort to get any of their technologies present on linux and their history shows that they're more interested in hurting competitors than any real advancement, ambitions or care for the future of gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Dcully wrote: »
    You make it sound like we are disappointed IF those performance figures are true.
    They are best case scenario marketing figures , ill wait for the real figures thanks.

Its almost like someone is trying to show off,wrong crowd i think though.

Most of is just want real independent figures before we declare 20XXseries/ray tracing as the second coming of christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Venom wrote: »
    It's kinda shocking to see Jay so far off the mark in that Nvidia will not have a Titan RTX for sale in the next 4-6 months going by past actions not to mention theres no way they're dropping the Titan brand and he really should know better. Hell, two Titan cards were released during Pascal's lifetime so I don't feel it's beyond the realms of possibility that a "refreshed" 2080 Ti card wont be on sale in a years time.

Nvidia has consistently been bumping up the pricing of the 80 and 70 series cards the last few years and now we're at the stage where SLI only starts on the 2080 and upwards unlike with Pascal where it started at the 1070.

its crazy, if it keeps going like this in a few gpu generations ill be using low to mid end hardware, equivalent to 1060 maybe 1070 as they will all be priced so high. I am hearing a lot of talk about intel entering the gpu market, is there any evidence of this? A massive company like intel would give nvidia a run for their money

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

its crazy, if it keeps going like this in a few gpu generations ill be using low to mid end hardware, equivalent to 1060 maybe 1070 as they will all be priced so high. I am hearing a lot of talk about intel entering the gpu market, is there any evidence of this? A massive company like intel would give nvidia a run for their money

Not until 2020

https://twitter.com/intelnews/status/1006592543201480706

https://twitter.com/IntelGraphics/status/1029792940648878080

• Advertisement

If AMD can pull a Zen on their next-gen GPU's and offer even close to 2070 or 2080 levels of FPS performance, not raytracing mind you but just FPS alone, and for non-stupid money, they could easily make a similar comeback in the GPU market as they have in the CPU market.

I have a feeling the Intel GPU's are going to be locked to Intel CPU platforms only and even if they're not and the GPU's can compete with the current offerings from Nvidia and AMD, I reckon the drivers will be a mess for the first couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

EoinHef wrote: »
    Its almost like someone is trying to show off,wrong crowd i think though.

Most of is just want real independent figures before we declare 20XXseries/ray tracing as the second coming of christ.

people are cautious to praise but quick to damn. Man on thread about latest high end graphics cards says he bought one, condemned as a show off. Dont go on the pics of your rig thread....that will drive you mad, the show off one there, filthy decadent consumerist pigs......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Christ, between this and all the chatter about ray-tracing it's like 2010 and Larrabee all over again. :pac:

gizmo wrote: »
    Christ, between this and all the chatter about ray-tracing it's like 2010 and Larrabee all over again. :pac:

From what I understand about Larrabee, it wasn't a GPU so much as a mini-computer that could emulate GPU functions.

If AMD can pull a Zen on their next-gen GPU's and offer even close to 2070 or 2080 levels of FPS performance, not raytracing mind you but just FPS alone, and for non-stupid money, they could easily make a similar comeback in the GPU market as they have in the CPU market.

I have a feeling the Intel GPU's are going to be locked to Intel CPU platforms only and even if they're not and the GPU's can compete with the current offerings from Nvidia and AMD, I reckon the drivers will be a mess for the first couple of years.

Are the drivers for their integrated graphics useless? Surely they have some experience working with dx and drivers as a result? The whole locked to intel CPUs wouldn't surprise me though.

How close are amd to intel with regards to gaming performance in CPUs these days? I remember Ryzen gen 1 being a bit underwhelming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

One good thing about Intel, is that they'll have a far bigger R&D budget than AMD. Whether or not this will transfer into actual performance is another thing. Then there's the Raja effect to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    From what I understand about Larrabee, it wasn't a GPU so much as a mini-computer that could emulate GPU functions.
    It was more like the lovechild of a CPU and a GPU. The project itself would have spawned some cards that weren't aimed at the consumer grade GPU market but ultimately it appeared like they were hedging their bets on a sooner-rather-than-later move away from traditional rasterisation techniques for rendering and towards ray-tracing, as was evident by the ray-traced-based Quake Wars demo they had running on it at the Intel Developer Conference the year before it was killed.

In any case, this is all giving me amusing flash backs to the time, complete with some voxel-based rendering demos from the likes of iD and the vapourist of vapourware that was Unlimited Detail. It's also kind of hard to forget about Infernal Technologies ongoing suit against Microsoft when looking at the effort the latter are putting into DXR at the moment. Interesting times I guess. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I've become so acustomed to playing at 144hz(1080p) it would be very difficult to go back to 30hz - 50hz that can be expected for ray traced games to support at launch.
    Are there any good native 720p 144hz montiors that would be a good match for the 2080ti?
    For anyone on here who has preordered , what monitor do you plan to use with the 2080,2080ti?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

people are cautious to praise but quick to damn. Man on thread about latest high end graphics cards says he bought one, condemned as a show off. Dont go on the pics of your rig thread....that will drive you mad, the show off one there, filthy decadent consumerist pigs......

Not condeming you at all. Fair play if pre ordering one makes ye happy. Its your money,and it may turn out to be money very well spent.

But id rather wait till we see independent assesment of these cards. It doesnt make sense not to since Nvidia are not being very transparent imo

Also if you put up a new build in the images thread you will get my thanks,i enjoy looking at the different setups in there regardless of my opinion on the parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

tuxy wrote: »
    I've become so acustomed to playing at 144hz(1080p) it would be very difficult to go back to 30hz - 50hz that can be expected for ray traced games to support at launch.
    Are there any good native 720p 144hz montiors that would be a good match for the 2080ti?
    For anyone on here who has preordered , what monitor do you plan to use with the 2080,2080ti?

I hear yah....I had a 144htz monitor but scaled back to a 1000 htz gsync ultrawide but res is up. I certainly can see the issue below 60htz but I could not tell the difference between 144 and 100. If you look at the screen cap of the tomb raider demo that has everyone worked up it ranges between 35 - 75 FPS. I would assume Nvidia are busy optimizing drivers as we speak. Its a good thing for Nvidia, they get a month to really see what is irking the community and work on it. Lets hope the releases is well done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

tuxy wrote: »
    Assuming you're serious -- no, there are no good 720p monitors.

I don't think there's been a good 720p monitor since over a decade ago.

Yeah I've been trying to get a steady 4k@60hz but think I'm going to scale back to high refresh 1440p, the cost is getting too crazy

Yeah I've been trying to get a steady 4k@60hz but think I'm going to scale back to high refresh 1440p, the cost is getting too crazy

4k gaming @60 fps with all the bells and whistles is always going to hit the pocket hard. I'm holding off on a new monitor until next year all the HDR stuff settles down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

4k gaming @60 fps with all the bells and whistles is always going to hit the pocket hard. I'm holding off on a new monitor until next year all the HDR stuff settles down.

I think that's why people are so disappointed. Many people with high end setups had gone down the 4k route.
    The 1080ti got very close to 4k 60fps, high detail settings in demanding games.
    Everyone presumed the 2080ti would finally get them there and their 4k setup would be complete.
    Instead it seems to be is a new technology that may not be usable with the new generation card or at the very least people will have to fall back to 1080p which is a big dongrade as many of these people would have been on 1440p for years before moving to 4k.
    In the end it may turn out to be a good move by nvidia but people don't like to hear they may have to wait several generations to fully experience it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭keffiyeh

When the 8800gt was released, Nvidia made a huge deal about Shader Model 4.0, how they were the first for this new Directx 10 API and how it was going to revitalise the industry. By the time game engines used Shader model 4.0, most 8800's were sitting in dumps. This stands out in my head because I knew people at the time who chose the Nvidia card simply because of that.

When DX10, DX11 and DX12 were released it was such a big deal to get those cards out to work with the new API. Well(and this happend for dx10 and dx11 as well), lets see that big list of properly implemented DX12 games 3 years on? The 40-50% performance improvements for the same graphics? Where are the Multiadapter supported games for multi-gpu? Where are the riches that DX12 would bring to the market. What I see are benchmarks of a handful of AAA titles, in which you have to turn on DX12, that sometimes have better results and sometimes have worse. Most games still claim the DX12 mode is in beta.

I get it, ray tracing is the "next" big thing and nvida have timed hardware support in tandem with the API's support. Outside of a few paid off publishers doing game reworks to bodge it in, actual proper ray tracing in games will be a generation away. In the meantime, Nvidia will push out a handful of titles done with Crapworks code to make Ray tracing on AMD look bad and market the **** out of it. Meanwhile, its not available on 90% of the actual discrete graphics market, which right now is pretty much the 580 and the 1060 or older cards, or this generation since Nvidia have linked it to the high end. So for the majority of PC gamers, ray tracing means nothing.

In the meantime, for those with money to burn or don't care about what happens when dirty marketing tricks remove the last competitor in the market....

459166.png

459167.jpg

459168.jpg

459169.jpg

459170.png

Underrated post honestly. Haven't seen a single youtube outlet contradict this sentiment either. 2018 is not the year of raytracing. I would say Q3/4 2019, maybe even into 2020. Would like to see leaner renditions too, if it's possible, which it may not be, considering this is all coming off the back of 20+ years work in the pre-rendered CGI industry. Considering the Xbox Backwards Compatibility team somehow injected native 4K rendering into old games, with no access to source code, maybe those lunatics can cook something up. It'll be them or the vulkan boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

trsZ54e.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Decent results in isolation if accurate for a single card solution, but back to the crux of the current situation....that should be a replacement card class at the same price as the 1080ti.....not closer to the price of 1080Ti in SLI.

The lack of competition has been a disaster for consumers.

they have just upped the gpu stack in terms of pricing imo, 2080ti - titan, 2080 - 1080ti, 2070 - 1080. Leaves a spot for a new price point on a new titan. AMD or intel cant do something quick enough

they have just upped the gpu stack in terms of pricing imo, 2080ti - titan, 2080 - 1080ti, 2070 - 1080. Leaves a spot for a new price point on a new titan. AMD or intel cant do something quick enough

100% guaranteed there will be a Titan RTX out in the next 6 months and a Ti refresh in a year.

its disturbing as well to see so many people pre ordering the 2080ti when a lot of those people would have lambasted the titan for being so over priced last gen. Nvidia really cant put a foot wrong with the lack of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

That's the thing though, AMD and Intel aren't moving in the GPU space until 2019/2020. This is pretty much Nvidia's "get out of jail free" generation, then they can reel their prices back in again in two years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

100% guaranteed there will be a Titan RTX out in the next 6 months and a Ti refresh in a year.

Just for the craic I'm gonna say nope. We won't see a Titan card as nVidia seeks to segment the professional and consumer markets, I also don't see them getting the yields of such a large chip to put something between the professional and consumer space.

No refresh of the 2080ti either for similar reasons.

However what we will see is a new generation of cards (30XX) family faster than any previous generation IMHO as they move to 7nm before intel and AMD hit the consumer space.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just for the craic I'm gonna say nope. We won't see a Titan card as nVidia seeks to segment the professional and consumer markets, I also don't see them getting the yields of such a large chip to put something between the professional and consumer space.

No refresh of the 2080ti either for similar reasons.

However what we will see is a new generation of cards (30XX) family faster than any previous generation IMHO as they move to 7nm before intel and AMD hit the consumer space.

AMD have said they'll be releasing a 7nm GPU before the end of the year.

Advertisement