Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

tuxy wrote: »
    I've heard that only vendors that buy up large quantities of 10xx chips will be able to get reasonable size orders of 20xx chips.
    I guess Nvidia had to price things so it would be possible for them to shift all the chips they didn't really want to order.

Nobody is ordering large quantities of 10 series chips, Nvidia are forcing them on their partners. It's not a voluntary thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/09/05/nvidia-rtx-2080-heres-when-you-can-read-the-reviews/amp/

Apparently the 17th is when we can expect to see some worthwhile benchmarks for the 2080 and the 19th for the 2080 ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

interesting article from extremetech. Suggests very little reason to upgrade from the 10 series.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/277001-new-nvidia-data-suggests-rtx-2080-only-modestly-faster-than-gtx-1080-ti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Blazer wrote: »
    interesting article from extremetech. Suggests very little reason to upgrade from the 10 series.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/277001-new-nvidia-data-suggests-rtx-2080-only-modestly-faster-than-gtx-1080-ti

funny how people read what they want into things :) The article actually says we dont know anything yet and the data release by Nvidia is confusing.( some would say that Nvidia are being secretive on purpose in order to generate suspicion in the market and drive people to panic/rage buy overproduced pascal cards and clear stock...it seems to be working). We will know next week. It also doesnt matter if you want or dont want to upgrade to Turing...you cant get one, and they wont be available for the casual procrastinator for months and months.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The best video ive seen explaining the tech onboard and how it should benefit performance even non rtx stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Anyone know the width and depth of the 2080ti compared to 1080ti. As in i take it, if a 1080ti fits in your motherboard, so will a 2080ti

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Anyone know the width and depth of the 2080ti compared to 1080ti. As in i take it, if a 1080ti fits in your motherboard, so will a 2080ti

The founders edition is a 2 slot card. Most of the custom ones I've seen so far are 2.5-2.75 slot cards so quite a bit thicker but they all have massive heatsinks and fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The founders edition is a 2 slot card. Most of the custom ones I've seen so far are 2.5-2.75 slot cards so quite a bit thicker but they all have massive heatsinks and fans.

2 slots? Wow, thats a lot of space to take up!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

2 slots? Wow, thats a lot of space to take up!

Maybe for a Founders/OEM edition but not for an AIB Partner card.

My Palit Super Jetstream GTX1080 takes up 3 slots!

68koS7Cl.jpg?1

AfL4cnUl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Also make sure it will fit your case in general. Some of the Turings are pretty long/wide. Matron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Just noticed that overclockers.co.uk are displaying a price of £569 for the RTX2070:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-rtx-2070

I tried to buy it but I just get an error.

If it was 10-15% better than the GTX1080 I'd be tempted but I could see it being worse performance but just being marketed as being better because it supports ray tracing.

Hopefully im wrong tho cos I've been itching for an upgrade and if it does beat the 1080 at that price I'll probably bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

2080 / 2080 Ti reportedly spotted in Final Fantasy XV benchmark tool

4K https://i.imgur.com/kiGtkX5.png
    1440p https://i.imgur.com/5LJ9e0f.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Luke from Linus Tech Tips on their latest Wan show podcast, claimed that having spoken to some game developers, adding RTX supported ray tracing to a game was insanely easy to do and very plug and play. Time will tell of course but if true it could mean a huge catalogue of games could benefit from this new tech very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Venom wrote: »
    Luke from Linus Tech Tips on their latest Wan show podcast, claimed that having spoken to some game developers, adding RTX supported ray tracing to a game was insanely easy to do and very plug and play. Time will tell of course but if true it could mean a huge catalogue of games could benefit from this new tech very quickly.

They also noted how, for multiplayer, allowing RTX to benefit your gameplay would be unfair and as such unlikely to happen, so no using mirrors to look round corners, or car doors or w/e, so muchos dinero for better shadows, explosions and stuff. From what we have seen I think RTX is the future, but not this iteration, overhead seems too high for this generation, anyways time will tell.

Inquitus wrote: »
    They also noted how, for multiplayer, allowing RTX to benefit your gameplay would be unfair and as such unlikely to happen, so no using mirrors to look round corners, or car doors or w/e, so muchos dinero for better shadows, explosions and stuff. From what we have seen I think RTX is the future, but not this iteration, overhead seems too high for this generation, anyways time will tell.

The same advantage could be said for a FOV slider and ultrawide monitors, or high refresh rate monitors....really this is all so speculative people are just picking the information that suits their opinion. Nvidia released the benchmark data for reviewers (so they can see if their own benchmarks are way off the mark or not)...doesnt seem Nvidia have much to worry about.

The same advantage could be said for a FOV slider and ultrawide monitors, or high refresh rate monitors....really this is all so speculative people are just picking the information that suits their opinion. Nvidia released the benchmark data for reviewers (so they can see if their own benchmarks are way off the mark or not)...doesnt seem Nvidia have much to worry about.

Well whether they sell a bunch of 1080 Ti's or a bunch of 20XX's its all good for them, have a feeling the value proposition may be in the 10XX space once the benchies come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Inquitus wrote: »

I got the impression they were referring to players turning RTX off so as not to be disadvantaged in multiplayer more so than developers not allowing it to work. When you look at most competitive online games you will always see players turning off the graphical bells and whistles to get an edge whether it's more FPS, less fauna or shadows an enemy can hide in, greater view distance or better FOV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Guess I'm saving up for a 2080 Ti / 3080 to be bought in 2019/20; a 100% performance increase on my 980 Ti + raytracing.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Guess I'm saving up for a 2080 Ti / 3080 to be bought in 2019/20; a 100% performance increase on my 980 Ti + raytracing.

Did we get benchmarks?

Wednesday.

• Advertisement

I would say a lot of pressure on reviewers atm to get them out on time. Seems they didnt have drivers on Friday so a lot of testing to do in a short period of time.......also most seem to have both 2080 and 2080ti so two cards to test.

Ah well, I was hoping we'd be getting something for today (rumour had the NDA clearing the 2080 today and the 2080 ti on Wednesday).

It looks like the 2080 ti release date is pushed out a week as well.

This is pretty interesting as well. Nvidia's putting out an API that finds the feasible space for overclocks on their cards. Not convinced given how dodgy auto-overclocking has been in the past but if it works well, this'll be pretty handy.

Oh Nvidia....you tease......at least some reviews today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Prices have gone up on overclockers again for pre-orders of the RTX2080.

They started at £715 on announcement, rose to £730 a week or two later and are now at £750

If the reviews are any way good I guess we can expect another price hike.

Expect another delay in delivery date. The 2070s will.be delayed even more. Won't have 60 or 50 models before new years.

What time is the embargo up today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

2pm I read

Jayztwocents - 1080ti to 2080 reviews not good sub 10%, 1080ti to 2080ti good 30% but not a value proposition. RTX and DLSS to be seen, overclocking to be seen.

LTT - more positive raster review, no mention value, RTX missing in action

• Advertisement

The 2080Ti is a beast but way too expensive for your average gamer. 2080 only marginally faster than a 1080Ti.

Advertisement