Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

When I saw the prices I was shocked, but thinking about it, the 3090 launched at 1499 MSRP, the 4090 is "only" 100 more, but offering at least twice the performance (2x to 4x) which is absolutely nuts.

During the crypto boom and pandemic we've demonstrated we will pay absurd amounts of money already for graphics cards (3070's were going for 1500) surely Nvidia would have to be insane to ignore that.

Another point: currently the 3080ti is around a grand. If Nvidia made a fictional 3080 "ultra" or whatever, launched it tomorrow for just over a grand, and it offered twice the performance of a 3080ti, everyone would go mental go it. But that's pretty much what the 4080 is.

The more I think about this the more I think these will sell like hotcakes (if they really do perform 2x and faster)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭Cordell

Well, look at their CPU prices, that's your answer right there 😀 And it's very unlikely to come out with anything that can compete with DLSS 3 or with NVidia's RT performance, leaving them to compete on raw power alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Wasn't the MSRP for the 3080 $700? Now the 4080 is $900, will the 5090 be $1100 🤷‍♂️ where does it stop

And we thought things would get better after the mining craze 🤦

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

DLSS 3.0 looks amazing, but **** the prices, especially for the 4080s (nonsense that there's two versions of that as well). Rumours of huge swathes of unsold 3XXX cards which need to be cleared first as well. Not a lot of actual numbers in that presentation though.

• Advertisement

Well let's just wait for the next one, it can get even worse 😶

Where they can't sell them anymore. Simple as that.

They must be reaching that point tbh, anything over 1k euro should be a bloody halo product not a mid to high tier card. Mining is gone, electricity is expensive, cost of living is mad

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I doubt the vast, VAST majority of users was paying 200% MSRP for their GPUs. That was almost all the miners, or anyone else making money from their machine.

Most people are looking for a 250-400 quid GPU. So far, only Intel (A580/A750/A770) is committing to this.

There were people paying 1500 for a 3060 so clearly there's room for more.

And just like 3000 series it looks like you can go down a tier and still get a performance upgrade, i.e. if you have a 3090 (or 3080ti) now and looking to get a 4080 it will cost less and deliver more, so there's also that.

It's a real bargain 👌🤣 did anyone here actually pay 1500 for a 3060 FFS 🤦

• Advertisement

I was happy to pay 800 for my 1080ti 5 years ago, it was expensive but it was the best GPU that could be bought bar a titan, now that price will get a bloody xx60 or xx70 level card, maybe Nvidia think mining is coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They can't pull out of agreements signed when crypto was flying along nicely, so there'll be plenty of stock to put on the shelves. Things are looking up for people who just want the one GPU for less than the cost of a kidney.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,832 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Look at the price of the iPhones now compared to a few years ago. Can't get one for less than €1,000 now.

Top of the range phones have been at that price point for a good few years now, also stupid money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How much could we expect the 30 series to drop? May pick one up if they go down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The 40 series is priced so the 30 series doesn't need to drop. 3060 @ $350, 3070 @ $500, 3080 @ $700, 4080 12gb @ $900

• Registered Users Posts: 53,898 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Do we know the PSU requirement for the 4090?

3090 and 3080ti will need to drop and maybe push the others a little.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The nvidia graphs seem to suggest a power limit of 450W for the architecture in general, but while the 3090 had a limit of 350, it was usually coming in about 10% lower than that in real world usage.

Helpful thread on Reddit with a comparison chart for the new cards.

There is a big difference between the 4080 12 GB and the 16 GB version, one post calls the 12 GB version a 4070 pretending to be a 4080.

Will be good to see if it lives up to the claimed performance of delivering more than a 3090ti.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Not much, if at all. Also, if the performance comparisons nvidia were suggesting prove to be accurate; then that puts the relative value of a 3090Ti down to no more than €1K and a 3080Ti no more than €750. Highly doubt even the used market will drop to those levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Maybe. I think habits have changed and people are willing to spend more on this hobby, and I think Nvidia know this. If these things hit the claimed perf (2x, 3x, 4x) I suspect these things will sell very well, I'll be keeping an eye on the sales on Mindfactory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

They are correct, the 12GB 4080 is a 4070 because its a cut down die 103 if I remember correctly which is 070 class die.

The prices are nuts but read between the lines, Nvidia and AIBs have a huge amount of 3 series cards which they need to offload at the moment, if Nvidia sold 4080 16GB for the same price as 3080 variants then noone would buy a 3080, they would hold off.

I can see Nvidia reducing 4080 prices in 6-8 months once the glut of 3 series cards are sold, they'll introduce a 4080 super/Ti to take the place of current 4080 prices.

Normally Nvidia in this situation would only release the highest end card but with their stock prices and sales forecasts down it looks like they're trying to appease shareholders with a 4080 release

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

DLSS 3 seems like incredible tech - the Digital Foundry teaser suggests it might not all be marketing speak and the jump in performance over DLSS 2 is indeed massive (at least in certain titles).

But yeah, the prices have spiralled out of control. TBH I don't see myself ever moving beyond the €400-500 / xx70 tier of cards, and even that is a luxury purchase IMO. Granted the 90 and 80 series have always been 'enthusiast' (read: wealthy people :P) cards, but the creep upwards price-wise really seems increasingly ludicrous.

Hopefully there's a more reasonable batch of GPUs on the way, whether from AMD or Nvidia. If the 4070, 60 and 50 - assuming they arrive, especially the 4070 given that 'cut-down' 4080 - offer the same generational leap compared to their respective previous gen cards, that'll be extremely welcome. I'm not in the market for a GPU for quite some time - the 3070 will do the job for many years yet, hopefully - and definitely hope prices have calmed down a bit whenever I am.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

From what I'm getting DLSS3 main feature is frame rate multiplication which is some sort of AI driven predictive frame insertion with no latency penalty, which sounds extremely good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It seems there is a notable latency penalty but then there's yet another layer of tech to compensate for that and minimise the latency impact. But early speculation seems to be it won't be ideal for any competitive or online games - instead, it's something that'll best suit single-player or slower-paced games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I am getting really tired of Nvidia's horrible sales tactics as well. A 4080 12GB isn't the same card as the 4080 16GB; the core is different, not just the gap in vram. It's really underhand and scummy, deliberating trying to mislead people.

Also take the performance boosts with a major pinch of salt. I'm surprised some people are trying to imply they're a good deal because they're faster than their predecessors for a bit extra.

Where do we end up with that logic, an entry-level RTX4050 at £400?

When I bought the 980Ti for about €600, at the time that was seen as fairly big money for high-end cards. Then came the GTX1070, offering more power and better features for less cash. Same as every other cycle prior.

Now here we are and some people and suggesting that £1,000+ for a mid-range card is somehow OK value.

I think it's increasingly hard to justify the cost of entry to PC gaming, at least if you want to build something new and futureproof. When I built my first gaming PC in early 2015, I paid €369 for a GTX 970. That gave a huge performance jump over a PS4 for a card that lasted me five-six years (and is still chugging away nicely in another PC). Now you'd pay up to double that for the equivalent tier RTX 3070, and with nowhere near the performance boost compared to current gen consoles. That could change with the 4070, granted, but will likely come at a much higher price again.

Now you have consoles with actual performance headroom for most modern games (again, that could change when Unreal Engine 5 games start arriving) and some genuine technical advances over the PC (like direct storage from the super-fast SSDs). And then something like the Steam Deck offers you a pretty great portable PC experience for the same cost as a mid-tier GPU on its own, albeit with the obvious compromises of the small form factor and tech. The value proposition of desktop gaming is harder to justify, and while that's one thing for those who can afford the premiums or only play the likes of high-end simulators / PC-only experiences, it's hard to recommend to anyone hopping in more casually.

At least Intel is aiming at the under-served entry-level to mid-tier market, even if it's hard to recommend until they get their drivers in order. And we'll see what AMD has to offer soon. But yeah, the GPU arms race is increasingly off-putting to me, and the major benefits - modest performance gains and ray-tracing - just aren't as convincing as they once were. Most people are much better buying into the previous gen GPUs rather than chasing up the latest and greatest, but even then the prices haven't dropped so far to any significant degree.

That said, I do think DLSS (and its growing number of competitors) is fantastic tech, and does offer a tangible benefit in terms of performance. Just a shame about the crazy prices!

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Yes, but I was comparing to either DLSS 2 or running without DLSS at higher resolution and with reduced frame rate and even higher latency. Compared to DLSS 2 you get a higher framerate with the same latency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,898 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

When do we think we'll see reviews of the 4090 or will Nvidia block reviews until the cards are out?

Advertisement