Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

During my discussion with the Returns team, and on their RMA tracking page, they said "replacement". Today is the first time I heard the word "repair" mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

But he's already said the first month's delay was logistical and largely due to the UK being outside the EU. That's not really anyone's fault, it just is what it is.

SCAN themselves seem to be moving things along quickly considering they just got the card. For a card that's a year old that needs to be returned to manufacturer for repair it would be completely normal to have to wait a few weeks for a repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think he's being to nice to them :) Brexit caused logistics problems are not an acceptable excuse anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 batmansDad

Now that cards are becoming available and prices are gradually dropping. Can I get a recomendation on whether I should go for:

1. 3090 - ~€2000
    2. 3080 TI - ~€1500
    3. 3080 - ~€1300
    4. 3070 / 3070 TI ~ <1000

I've nearly pushed buy on one or the other over the course the week. Looking at benchmarks etc. it's hard to warrant the €500+ for a 3090. So I'm the fence as to what I should get.

Any help or nudges in the right direction would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

In terms of performance:

• 3060 Ti - 85%
    • 3070 - 100%
    • 3070 Ti - 107%
    • 3080 - 130%
    • 3080 Ti - 146%
    • 3090 - 147%

So the 3090 is not worth it at all.

I've seen an ASUS TUF 3070 Ti for 829 on Amazon now, as well as a Zotac 3080 for 1069

3070 Ti would be best value here but the 3080 would be within spitting distance of it in performance-per-euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Don't forget that there are the original (10GB) 3080's and new (12GB) 3080s. Both are being sold new. The 12GB ones have higher power/clocks as well, so they are closer to a 3080Ti in performance than the original 3080. I don't think the price difference is worth it. I see original 3080's going for under a 1000 new in Germany, and even the Strix 3080 for 1050 euros on notebooksbilliger.de.

I have the 3080TI TUF myself. I was planning to get a 3080, but at the time (last summer) it was only about 100 euros difference in price - so I went with the 3080TI. It does a great job at 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,907 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I don't know how true it is but supposedly the 3090Ti is only 5% - 10% faster than the 3090 at 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Pretty much, they blew their load on the 3090. The 3090ti was never going to impress.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You'd have to be really stuck to jump in and buy a 3090Ti now. 3xxx series is firmly in the closing stages of its life cycle with the 4xxx series expected to launch in September. It looks like mass production is due to start in the next few months and Nvidia are dumping huge resources into building up inventory, so they're likely trying to prevent a repeat of the supply problems that persisted throughout the 3xxx series. They've reportedly dumped $10 billion on manufacturing for the 4xxx series, basically buying up all the 5mm supply they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Confused11811

RTX3090TI founders just dropped in UK, France, Italy and Spain . Crazy price for it,

• Advertisement

Any reviews out?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

The liquid-cooled STRIX 3090 Ti is 12% faster than 3090, with headroom for 6% overclock improvement. Actually slightly better than I was expecting. I won't be getting one 😄

Very hard to justify this card tbh

Just screams money grab

Ironically the card to get if you made a mint from crypto over the past 2 years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It has the same power connector as the next gen cards and ATX3.0 PSUs, and it's pin compatible with the upcoming 4090 core. It reads more like an exercise to ready the sales channels and AIB makers for the next gen, and they're only selling them as an afterthought.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It helps my sanity to think of the 3090(Ti) as the modern equivalent of SLI, but with less build complexity and none of the driver hassle.

From what I dimly remember SLI used to draw around 500W back in the day.

I didn't buy SLI and I feel no need to buy a 3090 of any flavour. Diminishing returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Oh we can buy FEs in Ireland now? Not that I'd be interested in this behemoth. But the 4XXX series could tempt me.

Not directly, still waiting on Scan to sort out shipping to Ireland. I did get a 3070 through them about 6 months ago. I had to jump through hoops with Nvidia and Scan to eventually get it shipped.

A few here have gotten from NBB in Germany via reshipping company but it's not easy and risky for warranty etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Ah okay. So the FE product pages have always said shipping to Ireland is available, even though it isn't directly? Feck off so, Scan.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Now with cards dropping looking for a "budget" upgrade if such a thing exists.

Currently still using a r9 290x - 4gb card. No new drivers since last year so some newer titles wont even launch ie BF2042 unless you change the driver version in the registry. Game runs and launches but its showing its age now!!! 40-50 fps on low @ 1089p.

My main machine is a R7 1700X clocked to 4.00ghz. 16gb DDR4 @ 3200.

I game at 1080p only so not interested in 4k etc.

Narrowed it down to either a new 6500xt, RTX 3050 or try get a used 2060 or 3060

Budget is around 300-400.

Opinions?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thanks for the replies - Looks like Ill just go 3060 or 6600 (or xt) - Might wait another few weeks and see if the trend downwards continues - theres no mad rush to buy a card.

Still a few scalpers on adverts but they seem to be getting less and less offers on their cards - probably due to the drop in msrp on new stuff.

If you can afford to buy now I wouldn't be delaying it to long. Crypto is steadily rising again. I recently sold 2 new rx6900xt for AMD MRSP prices and the guys who bought them were of the same opinion. Get your cards now while the going is good.

The affects of the Ukraine situation with regards to neon production from the region are probably going to hit semi-conductor production later this year too.

Yeah, I remember receiving some flack for spending €750 on a "scalped" 3070 FE in Nov/Dec 2020. That worked out well in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sqdz

Hi all!

I was also looking for a RTX, but I still hesitate between 3080 10gb, 3080 12gb and 3080 TI.

What will be their RRP/recommended prices ? Any recommendations for the manufactures ? Most of the time, I go for Asus, Gainward or Gigabyte.. 🤔

Also I had a chat with Geforce, unfortunately there is no way to get a Founder Edition in Ireland from their store :-/

• Advertisement

850+, 950+, 1300+

Realistically add another 200 to each.

I'd get whichever 3080 is cheapest tbh; doubt the extra 2Gb will be a bottleneck before the life of the card is over.

Best cards are Palit GameRock (great cooler + overkill VRM board) which also tend to be relatively cheap. I would avoid the cheaper Gigabyte cards as their coolers don't test well. Asus TUF and STRIX are good buys.

Advertisement