Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sqdz

Thanks! Hopefully the price will continue to drop 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

It's been another month, so time for a quick update: got an email yesterday from Scan, telling me that MSI have repaired the GPU and are now arranging to have it shipped back to them. They expect to have it in 7-10 working days, and then they would send it to me, which I suspect will be at least another 2 weeks.

Let's hope it's worth the wait, and the repaired GPU will last a long time from now on.

Meanwhile, my lesson here is to stay away from MSI. Three years warranty is one thing, but they never mentioned it's via repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

I understand the frustration but there are very few outfits offering a warranty that means outright replacement within the warranty period.

Some retailers do if its within a very short period of a month or two, or if its a cheap card, but in the main for expensive cards, it's repair.

There are some brands better than others when it comes to RMA and warranty issues, like EVGA used to be at least, but it would be normal for a card like that to go for repair rather than just be replaced.

It's not limited to graphics cards either. If you buy a TV in Currys tomorrow and it comes with a 5 year warranty, it's the same thing. After a few months, it goes for repair. You still have 5 years of coverage, it's never meant as 5 years of instant replacement and rarely translates to that when talking about expensive electronics.

Don't get me wrong, once again you are entitled to be frustrated, but it's not an MSI thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

So, to date has anyone received their pre order / substitution from overclockers post brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Final update: got the repaired GPU yesterday. Installed it and it's working fine. Broken on February 23rd, received it back May 12th.

I have to admit that Scan did all they could to help out, and I don't blame them for anything. Brexit or not, I would still buy from them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The 4000 series rumour mill is really ramping up the last few days. The latest rumour being that it will launch in July, which would be way earlier than anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The 30x series is still fairly new. I'd be in no rush to change.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It'll be two years old in September so the new series will be due to launch around then regardless.

If you're a 3000 series owner I don't see why you'd need to upgrade unless you were a big enthusiast. I'm a big believer of making a jump every second generation myself.

Interestingly Nvidia have indicated that the 3000 series will remain in production in tandem with the 4000 series for a decent length of time which could help with the supply issues. Production of the high end 2000 series cards ended when the 3000 series launched as Samsung didn't have fab capacity to commit to both lines. TSMC are producing the 4000 series this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I've had a 3080 Ti/Waterblock arrive today but if the 4080/4080 Ti is a big jump without much extra power usage I would be looking to pick one up at launch if they are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Confused11811

For anyone with a relative in the North the 3060Ti FE is available from Scan UK - Buy GeForce RTX Graphics Cards | NVIDIA GeForce Store.

They're not selling the way the use too. I've been on to Scan UK chat and can't them to agree to ship to Ireland. I escalated it to Nvidia as Scan UK are sales for FE for UK and IRE but nothing back yet. Anyway if you've an address in NI you can use it not a bad card to get

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ive been in touch with them a lot the last few months trying to get an FE. They just sent me an email today claiming Nvidia are the ones restricting them from shipping any FE cards to Ireland.

EVGA EU store has RTX cards in stock again. https://eu.evga.com/products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+30+Series+Family

Very surprising. Still shipping from Taiwan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Cordell

Apparently NVidia will only launch the 4090 this year, or so the rumors go. Good news is that the 30 series is in stock everywhere and prices are pretty much back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

^Haven't watched the video yet but read the story elsewhere. End of an era really. Wonder if other partners will speak out, or will they fear going the same way.

Steve suggests that there are also personal and principle reasons that led to this, so probably won't be others doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'm sure they can keep running as a business, but it's hard to see how this doesn't lead to layoffs eventually. Think I've had 3 of their PSUs and 2 GPUs over the years (including my current PC).

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Jon Doe

Yeah, principle... it's the principle of not enjoying getting stepped on by your supposed "partners"... NVidia's tech reps are just awful and I know from 2nd hand knowledge that their sales reps are worse! Apparently that culture is generalized across the entire company :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

4090 24gb at $1600 available Oct 12.

4080 16Gb at $1200 and 12Gb at $900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,803 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Won't be able to buy the founders edition here unfortunately.

DLSS 3 looks pretty class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Mining prices without the mining boom.

Hope nobody buys one. Absolutely outrageous prices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

Nvidia have gone full crackpot with those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I'd love to not buy one, but I'm not convinced my 980Ti can last another generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Those prices are mental 🤦 high range gaming PC's are completely unaffordable now.

Hope nobody buys one

We all know they would sell like hot cakes. That's what the lack of competition usually do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Are AMD going to bring their next generation of GPUs anytime soon? Who am I kidding as if they won't join in and price gauge too 🤷‍♂️😔 Intel's GPUs and some consumer common sense are the only hopes now

Advertisement