Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    You said "around here" which would suggest you were talking about the local area

What does it matter?!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

whelan2 wrote: »
    What does it matter?!!!!!

Some people would start a fight in a phone box at times. 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaymla627

And how much chemical N and P are you spreading?

8-9 bags of 24:5:10 would be spread per acre yearly, real stocking rate is 190kgs/ha, map stocking rate is north of 700kgs/ha....
    The only way to get access to land in my case is simply to take 140 of silage ground on a 3-4 cut system but no maps available

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Freejin

Think I saw somebody with it on here before, can you get a dispenser with a measure, that you can screw onto the top of liquid detergent drums. Idea would be to make a bracket and fix the drum to the wall above the wash trough and just dispense the chemicals, rather than messing with jugs etc. A bit like the auto-dispensers they have for spirits in pubs!

Also on the subject of detergents, do many of you leave the detergent as the last wash when finishing up milking and then do a rinse before the next milking, or would some of you do a final rinse after the detergent and go straight milking the next milking without rinsing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

Some people would start a fight in a phone box at times. ����

The words "phone box" is a bit of an age giveaway

• Advertisement

Freejin wrote: »
    Think I saw somebody with it on here before, can you get a dispenser with a measure, that you can screw onto the top of liquid detergent drums. Idea would be to make a bracket and fix the drum to the wall above the wash trough and just dispense the chemicals, rather than messing with jugs etc. A bit like the auto-dispensers they have for spirits in pubs!

Also on the subject of detergents, do many of you leave the detergent as the last wash when finishing up milking and then do a rinse before the next milking, or would some of you do a final rinse after the detergent and go straight milking the next milking without rinsing?

Machine here always rinsed, detergent is never left in the line..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Some detergents need to be left in the machine, I think. The instructions on rate of using the detergent should tell you how to use it, leave in or rinse out after the wash?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭straight

wrangler wrote: »
    Not to you, 20mins on the M6 from here

That's a fast zerograzer

Quick question, folks. I'm waiting for mats to come for the new cubicles but it's getting to the stage where the cattle have to come in regardless of having the mats down.

Will the cattle be alright on bare, fresh concrete for a few days? I remember a few cattle having burns on their hocks the last time I put them on fresh concrete and a few lads have warned me against putting them on the cubicles without mats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭straight

All this zerograzing, contract rearing, over stocking is only giving the farmer more work and headaches and putting money in other people's pockets. Less is more alot of the time. Heard of a fella that gave up milking to go contract rearing and he's making more money at it for feck all work comparing to cows. 1100 euro per heifer. Also fellas overpaying for rented ground and having to hire help, etc. Is there really much financial gain after all the extra work, risk and pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Increased phosphorus levels would be mainly pig and poultry farming.
    I'm not wanting to come across as a dairy angel. But that's just the fact.
    Pig and poultry slurry would be immensely higher in phosphorus and Cavan and Monaghan were singled out.

Tolka river also singled out for increased fish kills.

Savage amount of agricultural activity in the Tolka catchment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Savage amount of agricultural activity in the Tolka catchment

Detergent company and other cases of blocked sewers (tyres,etc) were the cause of those fish kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Quick question, folks. I'm waiting for mats to come for the new cubicles but it's getting to the stage where the cattle have to come in regardless of having the mats down.

Will the cattle be alright on bare, fresh concrete for a few days? I remember a few cattle having burns on their hocks the last time I put them on fresh concrete and a few lads have warned me against putting them on the cubicles without mats.
    Could you use straw or shaving and dust them with lime until you get the mats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭visatorro

Sure if it's only for a few days they'll hardly heel up, I wouldn't put down anything that's gonna make to much work for yourself. You worked hard enough putting the cubicles up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Mooooo wrote: »
    If water quality is an issue it will be the council or whatever authority will be in charge of it will start shutting lads down and fining thru the courts, sfp may well have fcuk all to do with it

Yep - the EU water directive is what is behind the cutting of stocking rates in Holland and given the road dairy is going down here its a matter of time before we come a cropper too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Wash out fully here, new sock, jetters pulled down ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

straight wrote: »
    All this zerograzing, contract rearing, over stocking is only giving the farmer more work and headaches and putting money in other people's pockets. Less is more alot of the time. Heard of a fella that gave up milking to go contract rearing and he's making more money at it for feck all work comparing to cows. 1100 euro per heifer. Also fellas overpaying for rented ground and having to hire help, etc. Is there really much financial gain after all the extra work, risk and pressure.

But are they overpaying,
    Unless there's another dairy farmer near, there's no one to push them near to what they can afford to pay .

If water quality is an issue it will be the council or whatever authority will be in charge of it will start shutting lads down and fining thru the courts, sfp may well have fcuk all to do with it

Council here claimed 900 inspections in one year, they're fond of drive by inspection and water quality checks so your farm is under scrutiny without you knowing and then they arrive in the yard on the wettest day they can to see where your muck is going

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaymla627

But are they overpaying,
    Unless there's another dairy farmer near, there's no one to push them near to what they can afford to pay .

Would you rather 200 a acre and ground looked after re p and k, lime/sprays etc our 350 a acre and the place basically mined, you can’t have it both ways if you go looking for extoriant rent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

But are they overpaying,

It's tillage around here pushing the prices. 320 per acre paid for an ex dairy farm last spring by a tillage farmer for spring barley. Give back the SFP on top of that as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Yep - the EU water directive is what is behind the cutting of stocking rates in Holland and given the road dairy is going down here its a matter of time before we come a cropper too

Holland is a different kettle of fish tho, they have more cow's than we do in a country the size of Munster, along with a population of 17 million people with every 2.5 hectares in the polderlands surrounded by watercourses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

https://www.catchments.ie/areas-for-action/#!

They're going to be walking the entire length of the above rivers

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Would you rather 200 a acre and ground looked after re p and k, lime/sprays etc our 350 a acre and the place basically mined, you can’t have it both ways if you go looking for extoriant rent

Or 200/acre and still have it mined....there's no guarantee at any level of rent,
    You just hope for the best

Base price wrote: »
    Could you use straw or shaving and dust them with lime until you get the mats.

Can't put straw because of automatic scrapers. Never thought of the lime though (D'OH!). That's just the job, I'd say, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭farisfat

Can't put straw because of automatic scrapers. Never thought of the lime though (D'OH!). That's just the job, I'd say, thanks.

Milled straw or shaving mixed with lime

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Holland is a different kettle of fish tho, they have more cow's than we do in a country the size of Munster, along with a population of 17 million people with every 2.5 hectares in the polderlands surrounded by watercourses

Doesn't really matter - if you look at the EPA anlysis the main deterioration is taking place in the likes of the Suir valley,North Limerick etc. All big dairy areas. The Water directive is about dramatic improvements to water quality over the next few years with various progress dates built in. If that is not happening then "drastic" measures will have to be looked at. Same goes for towns that are still lacking proper sewage treatment. Back home in Kildare a number of recent major housing projects in the North of the county have been turned down by the planners due to lack of treatment capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

If you could give a wash off to the cement residues on the cubicles with a power washer(no need to be too harsh)then throw on some milled straw it should be ok.It is no harm to wash the grit off and chip off any protruding blemishes from the beds before putting down the mats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter - if you look at the EPA anlysis the main deterioration is taking place in the likes of the Suir valley,North Limerick etc. All big dairy areas.

Did you look though? My own area is mentioned. A big part of the problems mentioned is two overloaded local wastewater treatment plants one of which happens to be leading directly onto a local beach and the other is feeding into a farmer led constructed walkway along a river valley. There is reference to a bafly damaged watercourse which is concerning. Lots of dairy expansion here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Did you look though? My own area is mentioned. A big part of the problems mentioned is two overloaded local wastewater treatment plants one of which happens to be leading directly onto a local beach and the other is feeding into a farmer led constructed walkway along a river valley. There is reference to a bafly damaged watercourse which is concerning. Lots of dairy expansion here too.

Correlation doesnt imply causation, springs ro mind

• Advertisement

And if you read this exert from the report, you'd think the news was great..

Serious pollution of Irish waterways continues to decrease, according to the study: Of all the water bodies that were examined, only two were found to be seriously contaminated, compared with five in the 2013 to 2015 study.

According to the agency, in the late 1980s, 91 bodies of water were found to be seriously polluted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement