Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Timmaay wrote: »

Excellent piece again by Andre ,love his articles and somewhat different take and views on all things dairy .pity he is ridiculed by some within the industry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭visatorro

40 % of heifers not in calf. Dunno whether it was the bull or the heat or combination! Never had it as bad with heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »
    40 % of heifers not in calf. Dunno whether it was the bull or the heat or combination! Never had it as bad with heifers.

Jaysus. What's the plan now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

****, may be no harm to blood them, could have been lepto or something? Is the bull still on farm? How did the cow's do?

Different bulls, cows were good. Never thought to blood them, they seem healthy.
    Was going to sync with estimate and AI straight away. They'll be 30 months them next Sept.
    They not worth much as cull value.

• Advertisement

Got my augers fixed. Thanks be to God. Think my arms are a foot longer from carrying buckets

Different bulls, cows were good. Never thought to blood them, they seem healthy.
    Was going to sync with estimate and AI straight away. They'll be 30 months them next Sept.
    They not worth much as cull value.

How long was their breeding season?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Does anyone know a general cost for putting in a Slatted tank from digging to building walls to putting on slats..?

These are prices for a 5 bay lean to shed 88ft long. It joins on to existing shed with round roof so needed less steel for shed and have a back wall also that I don’t need to erect.

Paid for the digging out tank along with few other jobs so don’t know exact price
    Steel for walls / floor 2060
    Shuttering works / pour walls and floor 3400
    804 for base before concrete 370
    Concrete for walls and floor 5200
    14ft 6” slats 5900
    Steel for shed 2410
    Steel 7” purlines 45 of them 1450
    Sheeting / gutters / flashing / capping etc 2900
    Shutter and concrete for side walls 1000
    Barriers 1230

All prices include vat

Mats and cubicles ordered also have them prices if you need them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Excellent piece again by Andre ,love his articles and somewhat different take and views on all things dairy .pity he is ridiculed by some within the industry

What’s new in that piece. It’s something we al already know. He is just spinning the same message with a “touchy feely” slant. All to get his name out and gain clients.

Nothing wrong with that in all fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

How do you know that France has a bigger issues when there’s no monitoring in Ireland that’s even close to being credible?
    What’s the metric for ‘going the wrong way’? Lol.

**peasant (paysan) is not a derogatory term.
    Quite the opposite really.

All group water schemes in the country tested for nitrates 20 times. Only 2 in the entire country have ever failed. I think that’s a fair level of monitoring to start with

Oh and by the way “peasant” is an insult in Ireland

• Advertisement

What’s new in that piece. It’s something we al already know. He is just spinning the same message with a “touchy feely” slant. All to get his name out and gain clients.

Nothing wrong with that in all fairness

Nothing wrong with it correct ,that’s his line of business ,others at it do same .his points re early nitrogen and different approach to building autumn covers are the 2 standouts for me ,both make perfect sense

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

When you make alot of sense you will also get alot of hate. Particularly from people who might have invested heavily in going the opposite direction and theres no going back.

How long was their breeding season?[/quote]

Ten weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Whatever way you want to address it, there will be change going down the line. And each country should have to tow the line. Everyone knows here lumping on numbers irresponsibly will reduce water quality( we all know guys stocked to the nines) Also with ireland having a wet winter runoff is a big risk. What will happen in the future who knows?

Highlights how the CAP needs serious reform across the EU to reward the good guys, whether they operate in Ireland,France or Poland etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭older by the day

I spent an hour with the wife looking for the sweet spot,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Nothing wrong with it correct ,that’s his line of business ,others at it do same .his points re early nitrogen and different approach to building autumn covers are the 2 standouts for me ,both make perfect sense

Well I personally wouldn't agree with his approach to autumn covers.
    We never got over 800 here this year and the level of feed that the herd needed to keep grass in the diet to mid November wouldn't be for my liking.
    And saw no extra increase in milk solids for it over an autumn where we had built up grass.
    I'll be going back to the teagasc template next year any way. It works.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I spent an hour with the wife looking for the sweet spot,
    bad enough you not where it is but if she dosent know-you havent a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

We never got over 800 here this year and the level of feed that the herd needed to keep grass in the diet to mid November wouldn't be for my liking.
    And saw no extra increase in milk solids for it over an autumn where we had built up grass.

Would you not have to feed more meal in order to build grass?

The theory behind it is spot on tho ,build big heavy covers ,poor weather u end up with poor utilization ,slower regrowths .heavier covers of grass have lower feed value too .i followed it this autumn with doubts and happy how it went .holding fire with n in spring next on agenda ,that’ll be a harder one but again science behind it is spot on .in your case this autumn would the drought of been a bigger cause ??

Would you not have to feed more meal in order to build grass?

A bit but not what I had to feed this year. Usually stop taking out paddocks, drop sr.

• Advertisement

The theory behind it is spot on tho ,build big heavy covers ,poor weather u end up with poor utilization ,slower regrowths .heavier covers of grass have lower feed value too .i followed it this autumn with doubts and happy how it went .holding fire with n in spring next on agenda ,that’ll be a harder one but again science behind it is spot on .in your case this autumn would the drought of been a bigger cause ??

Yeah lack of moisture was the issue mainly. Didn't get much rain till early October. But I was to follow his advice for next autumn I could see us feeding A lot of meal and silage to keep them out to mid November and close the farm at a decent farm cover

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭farisfat

Yeah lack of moisture was the issue mainly. Didn't get much rain till early October. But I was to follow his advice for next autumn I could see us feeding A lot of meal and silage to keep them out to mid November and close the farm at a decent farm cover

Dose a week to 10 days make that much difference in November.

farisfat wrote: »
    Dose a week to 10 days make that much difference in November.

It does when your silage supplies are tight. Add in week or ten days in the spring and you've saved 2-3 week silage and the work feeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The years Lyons estate dairy notes up to this week are in the link below.
    https://www.ucd.ie/agfood/about/lyonsresearchfarm/lyonssystemsresearchherdnotes/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

A bit but not what I had to feed this year. Usually stop taking out paddocks, drop sr.

So you're missing out on extra bales when you're building grass. I think I must be missing the point, it's surely a zero sum equation. I mean the cows' demand is the same, the growth rate is the same (actually I think the growth rate might be a little bit less in the Teagasc method if you account for paddocks with a yellow butt taking a while to get going again). You're just buffering earlier and for longer in order to build up a bank of heavy covers. I don't see how you're providing any extra grass by building heavy covers

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ted_182

How long was their breeding season?

Ten weeks[/quote]
    How experienced is your scan man visa? the man here says if you leave scanning too late that the calf can drop way down inside the cow and can be very hard to find with scanner, prob more an issue with older cows, still tho when did breeding start for your heifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I have 3 different relief milkers/employees who I have on the books here at the min, all basically casual labour who I pay fairly infrequently, some might be only like 3times a yr if they are milking when I'm on holidays etc. However from Jan 1st I have to pay them on a full payroll and paid weekly etc, my accountant has told me they can provide the payroll service, from 46e/month, which is 550e/year. That's all some kick in the teeth. Many others of yous stung with this, any alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I have 3 different relief milkers/employees who I have on the books here at the min, all basically casual labour who I pay fairly infrequently, some might be only like 3times a yr if they are milking when I'm on holidays etc. However from Jan 1st I have to pay them on a full payroll and paid weekly etc, my accountant has told me they can provide the payroll service, from 46e/month, which is 550e/year. That's all some kick in the teeth. Many others of yous stung with this, any alternatives?

Ger someone that's vat registered that can invoice ya. Would that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Lad here works for neighbour as well as doing other jobs for other people so he has set himself up as a sole trader same as ourselves. I pay him gross and he invoices me monthly. Can't see why you would have someone on the books who only may work a few times a year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Mooooo wrote: »
    Can't see why you would have someone on the books who only may work a few times a year?

Labour only subcontractors are a big no no with revenue and labour. They are very slow to allow new ones set up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement