Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Labour only subcontractors are a big no no with revenue and labour. They are very slow to allow new ones set up.

I believe that is the case where lads are working the same hours every week etc, but where hours are variable it is different. Know of multi nationals getting people in whom have to set up as companies and are doing the same hours every week, that is a bigger issue 're employment rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

Lads anyone ever have to replace their automatic scrapers 24 hour clock. Mine has froze here and just wondering if it can be fixed or cist of a new one thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭visatorro

ted_182 wrote: »
    How experienced is your scan man visa? the man here says if you leave scanning too late that the calf can drop way down inside the cow and can be very hard to find with scanner, prob more an issue with older cows, still tho when did breeding start for your heifers?

He's at it a few years now. Iv never heard that before.iv seen them missing twins alright, had one this year scanned at twenty weeks with one calf, she fired out twins then . I find scanning after a four months is a yes/no answer. Not accurate at all. That's with a few different scanners over the years.
    I could understand missing one but I don't think he'd make that mistake with them all.
    I'm away from the paper work to find exact dates but I think from start of May until middle of July the bull was with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mickey1985 wrote: »
    Lads anyone ever have to replace their automatic scrapers 24 hour clock. Mine has froze here and just wondering if it can be fixed or cist of a new one thanks
    What make is it? I've never heard of the Dairymaster ones freezing, tbh, but I imaging it may only be a small thing to replace but may need the serviceman to come out to do it.

Your best bet may be to ring the company ask to speak to one of the repairmen to see if he can give a bit of guidance on what could have caused it?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

What make is it? I've never heard of the Dairymaster ones freezing, tbh, but I imaging it may only be a small thing to replace but may need the serviceman to come out to do it.

Your best bet may be to ring the company ask to speak to one of the repairmen to see if he can give a bit of guidance on what could have caused it?

It is dairymaster alright I'll have to get the serviceman out but was curious if it has gone for other people. Ours was installed in 1993 so can't argue with it lasting this long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaymla627

That water quality report just released by the epa dosent make good reading, theirs a serious target just after been put on dairy farmers heads

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

jaymla627 wrote: »
    That water quality report just released by the epa dosent make good reading, theirs a serious target just after been put on dairy farmers heads

Yep read it ,can’t post link but n and phosphorous levels in water deteriorating and farming activities chief culprit next derogation or maby non renewal going to be very interesting .graisce consulting take on n use in spring in particular making more and more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Yep read it ,can’t post link but n and phosphorous levels in water deteriorating and farming activities chief culprit next derogation or maby non renewal going to be very interesting .graisce consulting take on n use in spring in particular making more and more sense

Derogation is finished I'd say based on that, only bonus might be to reduce the supply of beef if more land is needed for dairying

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Increased phosphorus levels would be mainly pig and poultry farming.
    I'm not wanting to come across as a dairy angel. But that's just the fact.
    Pig and poultry slurry would be immensely higher in phosphorus and Cavan and Monaghan were singled out.

Tolka river also singled out for increased fish kills.

wrangler wrote: »
    Derogation is finished I'd say based on that, only bonus might be to reduce the supply of beef if more land is needed for dairying

At 170kgs/ha limit a 100 cows and 40 followers need about 60 ha to stay under the threshold with derogation it’s about 40ha....
    With over a third of dairy farmers in derogation currently, their will be some scramble for land to make this up, beef farmers in strong dairying areas could basically name their price for rented ground

• Advertisement

At 170kgs/ha limit a 100 cows and 40 followers need about 60 ha to stay under the threshold with derogation it’s about 40ha....
    With over a third of dairy farmers in derogation currently, their will be some scramble for land to make this up, beef farmers in strong dairying areas could basically name their price for rented ground

Happy days, most beef farmers are up against retirement age, any young lads coming home to farm seem to be converting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Very few beef farmers around me. Instead I'd do a deal with a tillage neighbour to export (and I mean actually export and not a paper exercise) slurry or dung, and do a deal for fodder crop of some sort, in my case ideally likes of an autumn extender crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

Can only walk cows so far..

alps wrote: »
    Can only walk cows so far..

Zero grazing contractors is the new enterprise around here,
    Unreal optimism

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Zero grazing contractors is the new enterprise around here,
    Unreal optimism

Who's doing that

Reggie. wrote: »
    Who's doing that

Apparently in Athlone according to our branch agm last night.
    Two of them reputedly

That report is as critical with discharge from towns and villages as it is about agriculture. Let's not be paranoid yet. Agree fully with Mahoney on N applications, but phosphorus usage is well down. Still issues with brain dead operators spreading at stupid times for sure, but I may suspect that phosphorus discharge levels from towns and villages is colossal.

Just have to look at shower and washing machine usage in this house...it's frightening. Lifestyles nowadays are very costly on the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Reggie's ears are cocked, new opportunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭White Clover

alps wrote: »
    That report is as critical with discharge from towns and villages as it is about agriculture. Let's not be paranoid yet. Agree fully with Mahoney on N applications, but phosphorus usage is well down. Still issues with brain dead operators spreading at stupid times for sure, but I may suspect that phosphorus discharge levels from towns and villages is colossal.

Just have to look at shower and washing machine usage in this house...it's frightening. Lifestyles nowadays are very costly on the environment.

Are teagasc not holding "phosphorus meetings" for farmers in derogation and telling them to spread away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Iirc, you're fairly high up in derogation rates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Are teagasc not holding "phosphorus meetings" for farmers in derogation and telling them to spread away?

Ah you know it's not that simple.

It's only for farmers with low index phosphorus soils and normal rules still apply.

Apparently in Athlone according to our branch agm last night.
    Two of them reputedly

Well that ain't too local

Well that ain't too local

Not to you, 20mins on the M6 from here

Iirc, you're fairly high up in derogation rates?

Sky high but don’t draw down any sfp as a result and can’t draw down any grant aid, if deroagation is scraped in 2021 more lads could go this route too, all depends on your local authority and their level of enforcement over the issue

Not to you, 20mins on the M6 from here

Still not what I would call local if it takes you 20mins at 120kph

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Sky high but don’t draw down any sfp as a result and can’t draw down any grant aid, if deroagation is scraped in 2021 more lads could go this route too, all depends on your local authority and their level of enforcement over the issue

If water quality is an issue it will be the council or whatever authority will be in charge of it will start shutting lads down and fining thru the courts, sfp may well have fcuk all to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

And how much chemical N and P are you spreading?

Because usage dropped to an historical low, and they are confident in the advised cases that no environmental will result.

Still not what I would call local if it takes you 20mins at 120kph

After being in New Zealand Cork is local now.
    I didn't say it was local anyway
    Fair bit of Zerograzing going on between here and Tullamore
    A lot of catch crops being cut
    Why go to where there's two already operating

• Advertisement

After being in New Zealand Cork is local now.
    I didn't say it was local anyway
    Fair bit of Zerograzing going on between here and Tullamore
    A lot of catch crops being cut
    Why go to where there's two already operating

You said "around here" which would suggest you were talking about the local area

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement