Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Water John wrote: »
    I think Covid 19 is affecting you brain, judge. The fatty issue relates to the links in the Covid virus, Crypto is an occyst with a hard shell.

:o

Yeah, doing a coronovirus post in one tab and carried it onto another tab.:rolleyes:

Just while I think about it on crypto, Pallaskenry Ag college stopped using Halocur to treat crypto this year, I think. They did a complete washdown and disinfection with a disinfectant approved for oocysts and give 4l of colostrum and huge hygiene protocols for feeding the calves.

So far, they haven't mentioned scour in calves this year that I remember?

Gillespy wrote: »
    Are you doing much damage? We were out in worse weather last spring but ground was drier. No silage forced that and I'm wondering if I should have been less lazy and been grazing like you. It's like in the summer when you see freshly made hay on donedeal and can't remember getting hay weather.

Sorry, meant to reply earlier.

Yeah, there's some damage but nothing as bad as I was expecting. When the weather was at its worst, I dropped the wires and gave them a big area and will go back over it again to give it a good graze out. Plenty of silage but I need a few more to calve to reorganise the cubicles.

A handy guide to the new derogation requirements.
    6qZKBzK.png

• Registered Users Posts: 29,204 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Cows out today :D find milking great st the moment. No coverage on phone and no radio. A world away from coronavirus for a few hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

A handy guide to the new derogation requirements.
    6qZKBzK.png

An environmental training course ?
    They are taking the mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

First of the fert going out today. Bag of urea where we can travel. Debating whether I should graze silage ground or not. Some of it may not be dry enough but some is. Going to try a get round the normal grazing bit first and adjust from there I guess. Have a pit full of stuff only suitable for dries so anything I make this year I want to at least try and make some attempt at good stuff but this spring has already challenged that. Prob means loads of bales, hoping for a good summer, but fecking sick at the thought of the fcukers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Mortelaro wrote: »
    They are taking the mick

No, no. Just want to take more money off us.....

They are taking the mick

They only say attendance is compulsory, they didn't say anything about listening:D

Mobile phone, a stake to lean against, sorted for an hour or two.

Mooooo wrote: »
    No, no. Just want to take more money off us.....

They're tightening the noose around derogation farmers and it's going to be even more fun when the limits drop down to 160kgs or lower and half the farmers in the country find themselves in derogation territory.

There'll be a whole new group of farmers needing to be inspected and mileage to be claimed.

Regulation, the gift that keeps on giving (jobs).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

They are taking the mick

All LESS slurry spreading for them next year. Didnt think that would come in that quick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

They're tightening the noose around derogation farmers and it's going to be even more fun when the limits drop down to 160kgs or lower and half the farmers in the country find themselves in derogation territory.

There'll be a whole new group of farmers needing to be inspected and mileage to be claimed.

Regulation, the gift that keeps on giving (jobs).

This is going beyond a joke now

There more people employed now to inspect fellas work - then there is fellas actually working

Pure madness

Panch18 wrote: »

There more people employed now to inspect fellas work - then there is fellas actually working

Pure madness

It's services industry jobs the government and workforce want. More or less makey up jobs with makey up titles with manager included in the title and big salaries and mileages included. Just moving paperwork around a lot of the time.

Yet we have thousands of acres of forestry with no end product in sight and have to import toilet paper from the other side of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

It's services industry jobs the government and workforce want. More or less makey up jobs with makey up titles with manager included in the title and big salaries and mileages included. Just moving paperwork around a lot of the time.

Yet we have thousands of acres of forestry with no end product in sight and have to import toilet paper from the other side of the world.

There's major issues in forestry, not enough of the makey up employees there to sign off on everything from planting to harvesting

There's major issues in forestry, not enough of the makey up employees there to sign off on everything from planting to harvesting
    I thought there was some movement on that of late? In fairness to the forestry lads on here, they seem to manage well enough with little inputs from us but I might wander up there and ask at some stage.

I'm still puzzled about where all this forestry is going to end up though, yose. I looked into it a while back and the entire sales pitch seemed to be premiums, premiums and more premiums. Any question about where the timber would be ending up was more or less grow it and the markets will be there. I'll keep grass growing where I was thinking of a bit of forestry, I know there will be a market for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭straight

They are taking the mick

Its derogations last stand. High stocking rates will be no more... We'll have to invest in more land or cut numbers. Lucky we are so highly profitable. I'd say we'd all be better off with less inputs and less work anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Panch18 wrote: »

Pure madness

This is why the government see dairy farming as fashionable, well paying jobs associated with it.

the suckler cow not quite comparable to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

I thought there was some movement on that of late? In fairness to the forestry lads on here, they seem to manage well enough with little inputs from us but I might wander up there and ask at some stage.

I'm still puzzled about where all this forestry is going to end up though, yose. I looked into it a while back and the entire sales pitch seemed to be premiums, premiums and more premiums. Any question about where the timber would be ending up was more or less grow it and the markets will be there. I'll keep grass growing where I was thinking of a bit of forestry, I know there will be a market for that.

It's going to be burnt for breakeven money most likely. Everyone but the farmer who plants will make money, so all is good I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭straight

It's going to be burnt for breakeven money most likely. Everyone but the farmer who plants will make money, so all is good I suppose...

The farmer just give his land away for feck all. Better off sell it and put your money somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

See on agriland dairy outlook looking not so good..

kevthegaff wrote: »
    See on agriland dairy outlook looking not so good..

Always a great outlook

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

My Teagasc advisor was telling me the other day that they are going to be screwed with that environmental course. It's something like 15 hours in class (3*5hrs) with a max number per class. So when they divided up all the derogation farmers on the books, the calendar quickly goes beyond the end of next year. On the plus side, the p-buildup course they did a couple of years ago will still count for this.

The clover thing really annoys me. A good portion of my land that's fairly wet, you wouldn't dream of putting clover in nor would it last any time if I did. These guys are living in their own little world

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

My Teagasc advisor was telling me the other day that they are going to be screwed with that environmental course. It's something like 15 hours in class (3*5hrs) with a max number per class. So when they divided up all the derogation farmers on the books, the calendar quickly goes beyond the end of next year. On the plus side, the p-buildup course they did a couple of years ago will still count for this.

The clover thing really annoys me. A good portion of my land that's fairly wet, you wouldn't dream of putting clover in nor would it last any time if I did. These guys are living in their own little world

Teagasc Solohead farm is a wet farm and clover does well. It has been drained well and because the place was used for dumping dairy sludge for years P levels are off the scale. pH is important too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Also the rate is very high at 5kg per hectare. Dangerous levels there for bloat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭visatorro

Reggie. wrote:

Big operator I'm aware of doesn't mind losing a few to bloat every year because he's saving so much on nitrogen

Reggie. wrote: »

They're now saying strip fencing off a section at the front of the paddock to force the cows to eat the grass as well without just eating the clover alone sorts out most of those problems. Can't say I've done it myself as I'll probably avoid reseeding much this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Clover is all fine until u just short of grass and u have to go with nitrogen to drive grass because ur short , all ur work in vain kills the bloody thing ! Had it 15 years ago, fine if your system is not under pressure .
    And it’s only suitable for dry ground waste of money on wet it only thrives on dry ground spreads out takes over .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,166 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It seems that leaving stock into hungry is a major part of the problem. They eat too much of it. Also if you have clover in every field, the stock are more used to it.

Water John wrote: »
    It seems that leaving stock into hungry is a major part of the problem. They eat too much of it. Also if you have clover in every field, the stock are more used to it.

And roughly a 5 year cycle so you'll have to reseed a bit again every year to keep it in the sward.

We may as well figure out how to work with it as it looks like it will have to supply a big chunk of our N requirement in the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,166 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The persistence of red clover is about 4 years, white clover would be longer I think. You might get more than 5. I'm cutting red clover silage for the first time this year. Mowing 4 times and baling is the aim. Supposed to be mighty stuff.
    The downside no doubt for intensive dairying is lower stocking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement