Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭older by the day

I suppose this has been discussed before but I use the volume washer for the parlour but I have to go away one a week and connect water and a lead for a power washer to give the clusters a good clean. I would ideally like a power washer with a long lead full-time connected as well as a volume washer . What's the best system to use ? What do ye use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The Kerry statement on Coronavirus and deliveries and collections during the period.
    GZdif0Z.jpg
    I think Glanbia have similar procedures in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I suppose this has been discussed before but I use the volume washer for the parlour but I have to go away one a week and connect water and a lead for a power washer to give the clusters a good clean. I would ideally like a power washer with a long lead full-time connected as well as a volume washer . What's the best system to use ? What do ye use

We put in a socket(the blue three pin type) above the washer and shortened the lead to suit. It's at the end of the parlour and stays there. It takes the water from the volume washer so have a length of the yellow hose with a fitting to connect to that. The lance and hose it thrown over the collection yard wall along with the yellow water hose. That part could be refined a bit but it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

I know its been discussed before but what would ye reckon is the best value heat detection system out there.
    Had a look at Nedap, CowManager, HerdInsights and Heatime.
    So far
    Nedap is the most expensive by a good bit but HerdInsights and Heatime are a good bit cheaper. (So far)
    Cow Manager different price wise with standing charge every year per cow.

Not interested in MooCall as if we wanted a bull we'd have a full one.
    Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,136 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

In all the doom and gloom I have a good news story. Last Saturday night I set my alarm for midnight to check a heifer calving. I fell back asleep and woke at 4 . Heifer fooked and calf half out dead. Got vet on Monday and lifted her every day since. This morning she was standing when I went out. Felt crap about sleeping through the alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    In all the doom and gloom I have a good news story. Last Saturday night I set my alarm for midnight to check a heifer calving. I fell back asleep and woke at 4 . Heifer fooked and calf half out dead. Got vet on Monday and lifted her every day since. This morning she was standing when I went out. Felt crap about sleeping through the alarm
    Oh them sheds

Reggie. wrote: »
    Oh them sheds

Your race horses are in training at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Exact same thing happened me 3yrs ago, heifer I'd bought in, dead calf and heifer thrown out, I spent 3wks with the lifter wasting time every day before I called the knackery, you put yourself through hell for missing that alarm but on hindsight I was totally burning the candle both ends that spring, with alot of heifers and hard calvings, life is way too short and the only solution then is more labour, regardless of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ozil10

Milked on empty cows over the winter
    Trying to build numbers
    I know not the right way to go about it and in hindsight I should have culled them
    Won't be doing it again
    Have 52 heifers coming into the herd next year of my own stock
    I know they say empties will have 25 to 30 % reduced production over the season but have few of them there barely doing over 7 liters if even and they are on grass diet with 4kgs nuts in parlour

My question is
    Now that I have endured with them over the winter
    Will their production eventually lift?

• Advertisement

Fairly unlikely 2bh, won't be much more than 2l increase, bar they are milky cows. However they should of put good condition on their backs and be worth alot more now, especially if they are anywhere near finishing.

Obviously a freshly calved cow instead of fattening a cull will leave more profit, but if you have the shedspace and feed and cull price crap in the winter it's not the worst idea hanging onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ozil10

Timmaay wrote: »
    Fairly unlikely 2bh, won't be much more than 2l increase, bar they are milky cows. However they should of put good condition on their backs and be worth alot more now, especially if they are anywhere near finishing.

Obviously a freshly calved cow instead of fattening a cull will leave more profit, but if you have the shedspace and feed and cull price crap in the winter it's not the worst idea hanging onto them.
    Cheers
    Ya I had the feed and headspace so was no inconvenience bar milking them of course

I just thought they would pick up somebit
    Anyways I'll know for future reference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭straight

I've calved 60 cows on my own in the past 4 weeks and I think it's more than enough work for anyone. In fact I would say it's a young man's sport. The bigger guys might laugh at me or the journalists tell me I should be able to manage 100+ but I think that's overdoing it for 1 person. Just my 2 cents. Now to give away the fr Bull's is the next task. Thankfully I've about 10 surplus fr heifers this year which should make up for the loss on the bulls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

straight wrote: »
    I've calved 60 cows on my own in the past 4 weeks and I think it's more than enough work for anyone. In fact I would say it's a young man's sport. The bigger guys might laugh at me or the journalists tell me I should be able to manage 100+ but I think that's overdoing it for 1 person. Just my 2 cents. Now to give away the fr Bull's is the next task. Thankfully I've about 10 surplus fr heifers this year which should make up for the loss on the bulls.

There is only a certain amount a fella can do. And over time that amount decreases as you get older. Sustainability is something that I think is sorely missing in Irish dairy farming. Nobody is thinking of the damage it is doing to fellas

60-70 cows is enough work for 1 fella, that’s for sure

Panch18 wrote: »
    There is only a certain amount a fella can do. And over time that amount decreases as you get older. Sustainability is something that I think is sorely missing in Irish dairy farming. Nobody is thinking of the damage it is doing to fellas

60-70 cows is enough work for 1 fella, that’s for sure

No point killing yourself working either

It depends on alot of factors, I've calved 90 so fair this spring, and not one nighttime assistance, very little calving difficulties to the point that I barely stress about them, quick check before I go to bed, and my Milker checks them at 7am. Very little scour also. I'd calf 200 myself at that going, but I've absolutely been there done that, with difficult calvings and dozens of sick calves and in that case 30 would be too many for one person!

Hit almost 80% grazed here. Main problem now is of the final 20%, at least half of it is either autumn reseed or pure heavy wet land, so time to hit the brakes, properly budget out what dry ground is left, and bump up the meal and maize. Plenty of silage left but I'd rather not hit the solids too much. Probably skip the reseeds/wet ground and jump into rd2 in 10days.

It depends on alot of factors, I've calved 90 so fair this spring, and not one nighttime assistance, very little calving difficulties to the point that I barely stress about them, quick check before I go to bed, and my Milker checks them at 7am. Very little scour also. I'd calf 200 myself at that going, but I've absolutely been there done that, with difficult calvings and dozens of sick calves and in that case 30 would be too many for one person!

But you have a Milker. When I say on my own that's what I mean. 20 more to go but they'll slow down from here on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Hit almost 80% grazed here. Main problem now is of the final 20%, at least half of it is either autumn reseed or pure heavy wet land, so time to hit the brakes, properly budget out what dry ground is left, and bump up the meal and maize. Plenty of silage left but I'd rather not hit the solids too much. Probably skip the reseeds/wet ground and jump into rd2 in 10days.

Like a different world. 9% here and made a mess of part of that. No fert out and pumping slurry between tanks to make space

Mooooo wrote: »
    Like a different world. 9% here and made a mess of part of that. No fert out and pumping slurry between tanks to make space

Same as you just 0% grazed. Hoping for second half of next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Nothing grazed here. Calving a bit later so missed the opportunities in early Feb. No chance since.

Just thankful we have silage as this time last year we had nothing. Last spring was a dream, ground was dry and decent weather and it saved us

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

What do you attribute the change to in this year over other years?
    If you say "luck" I'll murder ya!! :p
    Because it's always always management..

Ah Timmay Are you having a laugh

How are you on your own when your milker is there at 7 in the morning

You stated last year that you were only doing something like 5-7 milkings a week during the summer

Nothing grazed here either

Have moved the calving back a couple weeks in last few years to starting around Feb 7 so didn’t really have any volume of cows to go out before the weather went crazy

That and the fact that 30% of the cows block would be liable to flooding means that we always have to be careful in Spring and would aim to have them out by March 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

But you have a Milker. When I say on my own that's what I mean. 20 more to go but they'll slow down from here on

Would you consider getting an autofeeder? Put the calves on at 3 days old?
    We got one this year and I think it's an absolute gift. Definitely saving me 2hrs a day I think.
    Maybe look to see is there any other labour saving technology out there for you. Despite the weather we're having a relatively straight forward spring here. No major health issues to date thankfully

Same as you just 0% grazed. Hoping for second half of next week

Nothing grazed here. Silage running out. 90 calved 35 left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

We're zero grazing here all spring...
    As in 0% grazed! Another week in it by the looks of things, land is at it's wettest these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

What are you all feeding milkers?
    Were feeding 4kg 16% nut
    3kg dm maize and the rest is either grazed grass when we can or baled silage.
    Milk protein ranging from 3.3 to 3.5 depending on when they get grass or not

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

We're zero grazing here all spring...
    As in 0% grazed! Another week in it by the looks of things, land is at it's wettest these days.

The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Your race horses are in training at the moment

That's what worries me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement