Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

whelan2 wrote: »
    Nothing grazed here. Silage running out. 90 calved 35 left.

Had a neighbour here now saying he has any amount of pit silage if I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Phuken dark out now anyway, and a cold downpour with it. #misery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

What are you all feeding milkers?
    Were feeding 4kg 16% nut
    3kg dm maize and the rest is either grazed grass when we can or baled silage.
    Milk protein ranging from 3.3 to 3.5 depending on when they get grass or not

Feeding 21% nut 10-12kg whole crop 5kg silage cows grazing light covers as I went out again in December and didn't have big covers luckily. They go out eat and come straight back in not locking them in the paddock.

Cows doing 26litres at 4.34 f 3.61 pr
    When they were in without grass they were doing 3 litres less and 3.4f 3.52 protein. Winter /spring herd. This time last year they were doing close to 30 litres. The difference a year makes....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Panch18 wrote: »
    Ah Timmay Are you having a laugh

How are you on your own when your milker is there at 7 in the morning

You stated last year that you were only doing something like 5-7 milkings a week during the summer

Ah now your missing my point, I have zero ambitions to be a fully one man show anymore, much too socially isolating for me ha. My main point was the difference in workload between having problems with say even just 20 or 30% difficult calvings and scour, when that 20/30% will suck double the time of every other job. I was lucky enough this spring and had very few issues, I could of got away with alot less labour this spring (main necessity was the 1st 3wks with loads of heifers in the parlour, 2men needed in the parlour for one milking a day then), however I had no idea what sort of issues I'd be facing so I certainly wasn't going to be caught short on labour. There are lads up and down the country with big numbers and surprisingly low amounts of labour, but they have everything down to a tee, calves gone after 10days, everything contracted out.

Also its not as if I'm scratching my arse while I let the Milker on, I'm kept plenty busy with stuff off the farm, I've done my 8yrs as a full time dairy farmer here, I have an engineer masters and moving forward the aim is for me to back off more and more on the farm and get in a milker for say 10/12 milkings a week, and if the right full time labour or partnership showed up I'd certainly consider hiring them and letting them on with the day to day farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ah now your missing my point, I have zero ambitions to be a fully one man show anymore, much too socially isolating for me ha. My main point was the difference in workload between having problems with say even just 20 or 30% difficult calvings and scour, when that 20/30% will suck double the time of every other job. I was lucky enough this spring and had very few issues, I could of got away with alot less labour this spring (main necessity was the 1st 3wks with loads of heifers in the parlour, 2men needed in the parlour for one milking a day then), however I had no idea what sort of issues I'd be facing so I certainly wasn't going to be caught short on labour. There are lads up and down the country with big numbers and surprisingly low amounts of labour, but they have everything down to a tee, calves gone after 10days, everything contracted out.

Also its not as if I'm scratching my arse while I let the Milker on, I'm kept plenty busy with stuff off the farm, I've done my 8yrs as a full time dairy farmer here, I have an engineer masters and moving forward the aim is for me to back off more and more on the farm and get in a milker for say 10/12 milkings a week, and if the right full time labour or partnership showed up I'd certainly consider hiring them and letting them on with the day to day farming.

Excellent post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Well now it's an ill wind, there might be hope for us if we survive the storm.
    Milk- a glass a day keeps Corona away!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

Youd calve any amount of cows when the things go right.

When things start going wrong Its a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Had a cow calved out in the field as she went down in the cubicles a few days ago, she had twins hopefully she won’t decide to kill one before the morning as I’ve seen this happen before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

mf240 wrote: »

Exactly. This is the whole point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Fed some meal pre calving this year aswell as extra cal mag. It's really stood to the cows I think. Still had a few sick cows etc but they spat out the calves aswell as cleanings and the calves were hoping in no time.
    Itll be 5t of meal in all. Worth it imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

mf240 wrote: »

Would you get 4 litres of good quality colostrum into all of them within 2 hours of birth...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's another point in that you are learning every year and should not be making mistakes you made in previous years. Every year that goes by you've improved the feeding, the mineral content of silage, the management of cows coming down to calving, the feeding of the calves,
    This all comes from learning and changing. I bet every single one of us has it easier now than from the previous years. There's always something that comes from left field to trip you up but if you're easy about changing things up to now you adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What do you attribute the change to in this year over other years?
    If you say "luck" I'll murder ya!! :p
    Because it's always always management..

Ha saying just luck means I'm too lazy to bother thinking about it, which I certainly have. In terms of reduced scour, I haven't changed alot, however the one thing that I defo think is making a difference is I'm cleaning the calving box out fully a hell of alot more regularly, in previous years calves must of been picking up stuff within the 1st 24hrs while still in the pen. Less calving difficulties I'm going to put down to alot less effort to hold back the drycows, the last 2yrs I've fed some bit maize to the drys, especially in the last month of gestation, and they go to a near full Milker diet 10days out.

Milk tank trouble again today. One of the fans gone on one of the compressors. Service man was out quick enough. Better to get it sorted before a full lockdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I must admit I'm kinda enjoying the schools being off and kids at home.

I have the youngest 2 out feeding the calves with me morning and evening. They usually have matches or training or gone to friends houses so they miss out on that side of farming but they're enjoying the craic of feeding and bedding.

I had the oldest 2 out collecting damaged gates with me this morning. I found a man with the time to do the job and we went off collecting the gates and bars broken off over the last few years. We had them all standing against a wall when the eldest lad turns to me and said, 'I know it's Easter and all, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for any signs of resurrection here, if I was you' and walks off:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I must admit I'm kinda enjoying the schools being off and kids at home.

I have the youngest 2 out feeding the calves with me morning and evening. They usually have matches or training or gone to friends houses so they miss out on that side of farming but they're enjoying the craic of feeding and bedding.

I had the oldest 2 out collecting damaged gates with me this morning. I found a man with the time to do the job and we went off collecting the gates and bars broken off over the last few years. We had them all standing against a wall when the eldest lad turns to me and said, 'I know it's Easter and all, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for any signs of resurrection here, if I was you' and walks off:D

Very same here. No pressure in the mornings or rushing to schools for pick ups

Reggie. wrote: »
    Very same here. No pressure in the mornings or rushing to schools for pick ups
    Or to get finished up on time for football etc

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Getting fu(k all done here with kids off.
    (:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭visatorro

Sacrolyte wrote:
    Getting fu(k all done here with kids off. (:

The chief is off work aswell. She's about to flip the lid soon. I'm off up the yard to 'feed' now. Get outta dodge!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

Enjoying the kids around too. My wife is off too and starting to get cabin fever. It'll take a few more days before she ventures out the yard to me I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭older by the day

Protein is down to 3.09, fat 4.2 this morn. On 6kg of high maize 17% nut. Grass yesterday. Not today. Anyone else had a big drop in protein this week. It was 3.34 two collections ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

M9ne is down with a bit as well. Silage quality not up to scratch

Protein is down to 3.09, fat 4.2 this morn. On 6kg of high maize 17% nut. Grass yesterday. Not today. Anyone else had a big drop in protein this week. It was 3.34 two collections ago.
    Been lucky enough to bite the bullet and get the cows out by day for the last 10 days or so. When I had to keep them in, the protein dropped to 3.2% but back up to 3.35% this week but still in by night so silage still in their diet.
    Mooooo wrote: »
    M9ne is down with a bit as well. Silage quality not up to scratch

+1 on silage quality. The last couple of years I was struggling to have enough silage for the winter but I have close to 50% of the pit left and 200 dry cow bales left so I have a reserve of dry cow silage anyway. Going to change focus this year and cut the silage earlier by a week or 10 days and drag the DMD up into the low 70s at least.

Milkers will still be mostly on baled surplus and hoping to improve that as well this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Are you doing much damage? We were out in worse weather last spring but ground was drier. No silage forced that and I'm wondering if I should have been less lazy and been grazing like you. It's like in the summer when you see freshly made hay on donedeal and can't remember getting hay weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

Does cubicle lime have any effect against Crypto?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭visatorro

tanko wrote:

Fairly sure it doesn't, are you in bother with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

visatorro wrote: »
    Fairly sure it doesn't, are you in bother with it?

No, only one cow calved so far, they'll be coming thick and fast from today on.
    Had a bit of bother with it last year, nothing major tho.
    Have sprayed pens with Kilcox extra and will do this every time i clean out pens, was just wondering if lime would be worth applying also?

tanko wrote: »

No, soap breaks up the fatty layer and allows the genes to break up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,220 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think Covid 19 is affecting you brain, judge. The fatty issue relates to the links in the Covid virus, Crypto is an occyst with a hard shell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

tanko wrote: »
    No, only one cow calved so far, they'll be coming thick and fast from today on.
    Had a bit of bother with it last year, nothing major tho.
    Have sprayed pens with Kilcox extra and will do this every time i clean out pens, was just wondering if lime would be worth applying also?

Get some with a % hydrated thru it like mastercal or similar. There is also a disinfectant powder call stalosan F that is good.
    Edit Plenty straw, if the cow's can be kept as clean as possible as sometimes crypto can come from the cow's environment and that's where the calves pick it up then, off the cow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement