Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

kevthegaff wrote: »
    What are lads doing with empties, have 11%empty of the cows, most are ligter fr and a few jex

David Clarke are looking for empties I think. Dunno what they'll give. Gonna milk mine on till I dry off the late calvers. Empties are averaging 1.8kgs ms here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭visatorro

Mooooo wrote: »
    David Clarke are looking for empties I think. Dunno what they'll give. Gonna milk mine on till I dry off the late calvers. Empties are averaging 1.8kgs ms here

You'd wonder what the story is there. Cant imagine him offering too much especially as he is buying for someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭jaymla627

visatorro wrote: »
    You'd wonder what the story is there. Cant imagine him offering too much especially as he is buying for someone else

More then likely will buy fresh 1st/2nd Calvers milk for a few months get back in calf and sell next summer as autumn calvers, I'd say 400 euro would be the best you could hope for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

Plenty of emptys on done deal lads looking from 600 to 750. I'd say 500 would be the price of them though the way things are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Nice bit of simple engineering to make a footbath.
    https://twitter.com/DHolsteins/status/1180140388482535428?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Interesting development on Glanbia shares.
    https://twitter.com/DonnachaTobin/status/1180835104324820992?s=19

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Will it result in another milk cut?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Will it result in another milk cut?

May lower confidence in share price I guess. Their reasoning for shorting would be the thing to know I spose. Kowtow's opinion would be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 29,241 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Over 100 members travelling to America, sure only a few weeks ago they were off somewhere else

Did cows with neoprinil this evening. Was a nice dry evening for it. Was going to try out the injection some of ye were on about but the meat withdrawal is too long at this time of year with culls going soon

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did cows with neoprinil this evening. Was a nice dry evening for it. Was going to try out the injection some of ye were on about but the meat withdrawal is too long at this time of year with culls going soon

Pissing rain here now but should be soaked in by the time it gets to you hopefully.
    What are ye planning 're closing ground? On to my dry ground for the next 12 days if fulltime at grass so thinking of driving on thru that so it'll have some cover in early spring and then do as much as I can with the heavier side with cow's out by day and in by night, find it easier to manage than buffering before and after. Calves are tearing thru their ground will be done in the next 10 days, may find a bit of ground to keep them out for another bit with in calf heifers.

Ye will be fed up of questions by the time I'm finished building ...what height is the step up to your cubicle bed not including the mat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Grueller

225mm or 9" here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Ye will be fed up of questions by the time I'm finished building ...what height is the step up to your cubicle bed not including the mat?

9 inches here but have one row at 6 inches due to having 2 different levels between 2 sheds.

6 inch is nicer I think, much easier for cows to step up and down on.
    9 inch is fine aswell, gets less **** splatters up on them I think.
    Our cows had never been in a cubicle till last winter and took to them all fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I have 9'' and 6''. The 9'' is definitely too high when you add a mat on top, they were for the days of scraping once a day with a tractor, no need when you have auto scrapers running every few hours. 6'' is a tad low but my builder only had 6''boards, but a nice height would be 7'' if your builder could do it. Put a good fall on the beds too 5'' at least

Over 100 members travelling to America, sure only a few weeks ago they were off somewhere else

This is why they weren't available to meet on grain prices last week. Was talking to one of the farm reps who met them earlier last week and they couldn't really explain or defend why they quoted a base barley price of €128.

They then flew out the following day for the jolly to the States and weren't available for any further talks.

Hence the grain protests in Portlaoise and Clonroche

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭jaymla627

This is why they weren't available to meet on grain prices last week. Was talking to one of the farm reps who met them earlier last week and they couldn't really explain or defend why they quoted a base barley price of €128.

They then flew out the following day for the jolly to the States and weren't available for any further talks.

Hence the grain protests in Portlaoise and Clonroche

Have they the mills blockaded our is it just a silent protest

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Have they the mills blockaded our is it just a silent protest

I don't know the details but the man I was talking to said €128 was below cost of production and the beef protests had set the tone now. So they couldn't let it pass without some form of protest. Especially when the same Glanbia are pulling the price of milk before everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Farney Farmer

Anyone ever use the bolus that claims to reduce SCC. Are they any good or a waste of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Anyone ever use the bolus that claims to reduce SCC. Are they any good or a waste of money?

I tried a couple reduced a bit for some of them, no magic bullet and a sickening smell of garlic off them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Farney Farmer

Which product did you use Kev? I see a few different types advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Could be a county name in connacht iiirc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Could be a county name in connacht iiirc

Maycillin bolus from mayo healthcare Kev used it on 6 cows great results on 5 not much improvement on one but scc not over high on her 700 k .i got one cow from over 8 million to under 400 k..costs 30 euro per treatment (2 boluses )but zero withdrawl

• Registered Users Posts: 5 huntinghill

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Maycillin bolus from mayo healthcare Kev used it on 6 cows great results on 5 not much improvement on one but scc not over high on her 700 k .i got one cow from over 8 million to under 400 k..costs 30 euro per treatment (2 boluses )but zero withdrawl

How long are they supposed to last @mahoney. Do they need to be topped up every so often?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

It's not even 128. The 128 includes 3 to transport it to a mill of glanbias choice. In our case passing by our local branch and driving 30 k extra to Portlaoise. So In effect the base is 125. More playing with figures to make it look better.

Stark warning for northern Ireland dairy farmers in the event of a no deal brexit on the news there now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭visatorro

Stark warning for northern Ireland dairy farmers in the event of a no deal brexit on the news there now

Id imagine boris will come to the rescue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭straight

You'll be putting a lean-to onto that shed yet for all the cheap dairy stock.

The uncertainty would be very stressful for those farners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭straight

It was on the news last night about our beef farmers too. And tillage farmers are protesting now. Uncertain future for all of us I'm afraid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement