Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom Eternal

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Make sure to play on Ultra Violence or higher if you can stomach it!

Don't worry, made that mistake with the first game. Restarted it in ultra violence after a half hour and it made the game way more enjoyable. Ultra Violence all the way with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Will run easily @ 60fps

Game is incredibly well optimized.

I'm running it maxed out @ 144fps. So smooth.

Yeah ive also got a 1060 and finding the game runs extremely well. better than 2016!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really puts to shame the other software engineers at other companies. The game looks amazing yet runs so smoothly. I wonder how much of this is down to the Vulkan API and how it pretty much lets you code down to the metal. Direct X and to a lesser extent Open GL have been a big reason for years why the PC needed more grunt than the consoles to get the same performance as every call had to go through an inefficient software layer. It's great that Vulkan removes that now and you can really get the most out of silicon on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭Cordell

Some technical insights about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsmqWSZpgJY
    Yes, it runs incredibly well, on my 2070S 1440p all maxed out I get tearing sometimes which means it goes above 144 fps. But the game contents also helps, no large open spaces, no lush vegetation, no hairy creatures, no sunshafts or volumetric clouds, and so on.
    I wonder how much of this is down to the Vulkan API
    I'd say not much generally speaking, in any game if you see the GPU saturated at 98+% load then the API is not the bottleneck. But in games like Assassins Creed Odyssey where you frequently get CPU bottleneck or in other games where you target as high fps as possible it will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I have this running on my 290x (I know I know) and its still a beautiful game at 1080.
    As for the game itself, its the game that just keeps giving, I love the story, its ridiculous but it can be ignored if you want.
    It feels "bigger" than 2016 and in a way therefore more frantic. Im only at the Hunter Base and I have to keep taking breaks between fights or every second one. 2016 for me was a great game, hitting just the right notes. This brings it to a new level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I was playing the 2016 version of Doom there, and within the game I could purchase praetor tokens ?
    Does this charge me via my steam account extra?

I'm afraid to play on now, it's annoying that modern games do that, you buy the game and then are expected to keep spending money on little addons within the game....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I don't recall being able to purchase tokens. If I remember correctly they are found throughout the game and are upgrade for your armour

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

I don't recall being able to purchase tokens. If I remember correctly they are found throughout the game and are upgrade for your armour

100%, the praetor tokens are found through out the game, on bodies throughout. Some are in your way so you will find them as you play, but some are hidden and in hard to reach areas so you have to work to find them. I've been playing Doom 2016 and so far i've seen nothing to say you have to buy them with micro transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Because there are no microtransactions in Doom 2016, or in Doom Eternal for that matter*. In 2016, you pick up Praetor points along the way by playing the game.

* Yet. I'm a cynical **** so I would not at all be surprised at some cosmetics being introduced at some point, despite promises to the contrary prior to release.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Thanks, ive been playing more today, God damn it's fun, can't wait to finish and get the new one!

• Advertisement

Just finished it, last level was mental. Dark Souls level rage but class when you get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Marauder
    is a serious pain in the hole.

On top of the first battle with him he then becomes a regular enemy, any time he's introduced he's a boss battle in itself, he's bad enough on his own but having him around when you're being bombarded with all the other enemies is so frustrating.

I find myself hoarding
    BFG
    ammo in case of an encounter, you can't even kill him with the
    crucible sword

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭Cordell

That much was clear from the first encounter, that is, if you'd have taken the time to read the codex.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Good review on FPS mechanics from a Quake player.

Not feeling this at all. Something off about it. Just doesn't have the flow of 2016. I've stopped playing it and playing snes games instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not feeling this at all. Something off about it. Just doesn't have the flow of 2016. I've stopped playing it and playing snes games instead.

It's the obscenely low ammo capacity and the increased health of enemies. It's turned the game into a resource manager.

Doesn't help that they've made armor so weak it may as well not exist. Paper has more durability that the armor in Eternal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I feel like it's OK. I'm getting through it bit by bit but I'm also getting distracted by other games. Too much collectables, skins and other malarkey that don't belong in a Doom game but I guess this is just the Doom IP not really any of the devs or original ambitions are here anymore.

I don't like that you have to spam dodge to properly evade anything. Everything tracks hard. A thing I liked about the originals and even 2016 was there is one max movement speed and that allowed you to focus on everything else. My shift key will be faded by the time I'm done with the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

Not loving the start of it, a lot of crap popping up on how to play and taking you out of the zone. Can't remember doom 2016 being like that but maybe I'm wrong

It's the obscenely low ammo capacity and the increased health of enemies. It's turned the game into a resource manager.

Doesn't help that they've made armor so weak it may as well not exist. Paper has more durability that the armor in Eternal.

Use the chainsaw

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Stick with it, its a masterpiece. Not sure about the pop-up that tells you how to defeat every mini-boss though, seems a bit odd. You think they'd have got rid of that in Nightmare mode at least? Also not a fan of the collectibles being a giant floating fluorescent yellow question mark either, why not just leave the collectible sitting on the ground insead of some big immersion breaking icon that looks like it came from a Mario game?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Finished it this evening. Got distracted by Half Life during the week.

Enjoyed it more than 2016 personally. Will definitely give it another play through at some stage.

I think the variety in the level design just edges out the previous game for me.

I found some of the arena battles towards the end really tough, but I do generally suck at FPS....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yes the chainsaw gets used multiple times in every encounter now, its probably the biggest change to gameplay.

Thargor wrote: »
    Stick with it, its a masterpiece. Not sure about the pop-up that tells you how to defeat every mini-boss though, seems a bit odd. You think they'd have got rid of that in Nightmare mode at least? Also not a fan of the collectibles being a giant floating fluorescent yellow question mark either, why not just leave the collectible sitting on the ground insead of some big immersion breaking icon that looks like it came from a Mario game?

You can actually remove all of that in the menus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Thargor wrote: »
    Yes the chainsaw gets used multiple times in every encounter now, its probably the biggest change to gameplay.

I am nearly always out of fuel for the bloody thing.

Would have to agree about the armour though , it might as well not exist.

I am nearly always out of fuel for the bloody thing.

Would have to agree about the armour though , it might as well not exist.

It slowly recharges itself after about 20 seconds

Use the chainsaw

It's not the chainsaw that's the issue. As I said it is the abysmal ammo cap not the absence of ammo.

It's not the chainsaw that's the issue. As I said it is the abysmal ammo cap not the absence of ammo.

After about 2 levels you can start upgrading your ammo capacity which complements the chainsaw.
    Where about are you in the game?

After about 2 levels you can start upgrading your ammo capacity which complements the chainsaw.
    Where about are you in the game?

Doom Hunter Base.

I've already gotten 2 ammo upgrades. The amount of ammo it increases is fine for the cells and bullets, may as well not exist for shells or rockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

It slowly recharges itself after about 20 seconds

I just looked up the mechanism , I didn't realise that the recharge was for 1 charge of fuel which will only work on fodder tier enemies , for higher tier the recharge isn't enough you need the 2 or 3 units of fuel.

• Advertisement

I just looked up the mechanism , I didn't realise that the recharge was for 1 charge of fuel which will only work on fodder tier enemies , for higher tier the recharge isn't enough you need the 2 or 3 units of fuel.

It's really not designed for killing high tier enemies. It's about getting ammo from fodder enemies.

Advertisement