Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom Eternal

Options

Comments

KilOit wrote: »
    Not loving the start of it, a lot of crap popping up on how to play and taking you out of the zone. Can't remember doom 2016 being like that but maybe I'm wrong

Doom 2016 was the exact opposite. Remember he smashes the screen dumping exposition? In this there's straight up tutorials. Wtf were they thinking. I'll need to give this another shot but that was so off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The core movement/kill mechanics on this are superior to 2016. For better not a step forward but a huge step back in time to how arena games used to be. The addition of dashing and the meathook in combination with the existing lunge for glory kills means we are finally getting back to a time where FPS' give you tremendous combat options, you're not being treated like a child with a butter knife in an arena where a jetpack and scalpel rule. This game proves we can FINALLY return to 15 years ago and evolve from there, because in between for FPS was a mixed bag. The ancillary components of production quality and character progression improved but the base mechanics took huge steps backwards. Comfortable to use but inaccurate console controllers led to small FOV, big hit box, slow movement and inaccurate base weapon design, not to mention Ults (where simply being alive eventually gains you a huge equaliser) and the absolute ****e that is Aim Assist (it's an aimbot...pre console it would get you banned). This led to a much greater adoption of gaming in general, so as much as I hate the way it happened I am glad it did on whole. But I am FINALLY glad at least some devs have returned to the fold. Give your player immense options, and challenge them to use them. Hours to understand, years to master.
    But after that, they failed on a number of fronts. After giving more mobility options they force us into weapon swapping and using the chainsaw - which takes fk all skill to use. It's an Ult, an equaliser again for skill in that it takes no skill to use it, you just look in the general direction of an enemy and press a button, unless a non-thrash they just die, and you are invulnerable while the animation plays out so you don't even have to be tactical about use. If they did everything else, reduced your ammo etc. and then made the task to refill rely on skill fair enough, say it was to headshot kill enemies, but they didn't. They made 2 siphons from their excellent kill-loop : 1 - run out of ammo so fast you have to rely an another mechanic to refill it: 2 - The mechanic to do so requires zero skill, so step out of your adrenaline fueled death spree and just press a button every 20 seconds or so to get back to skillful play.

It's so close to being brilliant but has some insane design decisions thrown back in.

Personally I'm delighted the formula is switched up. A dev that takes risks should be praised.

Both games can stand side by side and both can be played and enjoyed and have their unique differences.

It's easily the best game I've played in the last 12 months. Once you start to understand it's systems it flows together so well.

People would be complaining if they got Doom 2016 2. I'm glad iD software took said risks.

Doom 2016 was the exact opposite. Remember he smashes the screen dumping exposition? In this there's straight up tutorials. Wtf were they thinking. I'll need to give this another shot but that was so off putting.

Doom 2016 first 4 levels are tutorials

I swear are some playing this in tunnel vision!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not complaining about the changes they made. More that it just doesnt feel as good or flow as well as doom 2016. There's a lot of questionable design decisions that interrupt the flow of play from how the mechanics work to the baffling new focus on story and exposition. In the end I went back to Black Mesa and ended up enjoying that so much more. It's not bad but it's a major disappointment. As it stands Ive way too many much better games to get through before j go back to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

There's a part of the Super Gore Nest level, that's absolutely doing my head in trying to get past it.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I reckon this surpasses Doom 2016.

Its far more challenging, and the arena fights are more frantic. The enemies seem deadlier and there seems to be more of them. You have to constantly keep moving.

While Glory and Chainsaw skills require no skill to use, you still have to farm at the right time and you can use the invincibility of the animations to get out of sticky situations, though your still likely to take some damage from the non trash enemies coming out of the animation.

I like the fact that you have to keep changing weapons, party due to ammo constraints and partly due to the effective range of some weapons, it keeps you on your toes to not just rely on one weapon. but I do struggle to remember and reach the keys for weapons and to use the flame thrower, grenades and switching between grenade types and switching weapons via the mouse wheel is too slow.

The game looks great and runs like a peach. From a tech perspective its really good.

Story isn't going win any awards but its fine and the cut scenes aren't very long.

For those complaining about tutorials I believe you can turn them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Who am i to believe! The reports from the posters here are conflicting! What am i to do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's still very good. Just disappointing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Changing my opinion of it after 2 hours of it. Its crazy good. Playing on hard and dying plenty but its really teaching me how to be a better player, its vital you use flame torch and use chainsaw a lot and its getting me out of my comfort zone of only using 1 gun, you need to use everything to survive!

Not loving the story as much as 2016 but still early days

• Advertisement

Sat down with this twice now. Continuing to find it so boring. Everything feels like a chore. I think I'll unfollow this thread so you can enjoy without my negativity :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You really have to get past Doom Hunter Base and it starts all coming together. You just don't have enough weapons / abilities before that.

I'm on my second playthrough now. It;s awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Just beat Doom hunter boss on Nightmare difficulty, haven't done a 80's fist pump into the air for a long time while gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

KilOit wrote: »
    Just beat Doom hunter boss on Nightmare difficulty, haven't done a 80's fist pump into the air for a long time while gaming.
    I cant believe how well Im getting on with Nightmare tbh, its pure skill based aswell, I would have usually ragequit by now but the game forces you to get good. Theres an absolute pr1ck of a mini-boss that is a pure pain to fight coming though, you'll know him when you meet him.

Thargor wrote: »
    I cant believe how well Im getting on with Nightmare tbh, its pure skill based aswell, I would have usually ragequit by now but the game forces you to get good. Theres an absolute pr1ck of a mini-boss that is a pure pain to fight coming though, you'll know him when you meet him.

Oh I know him alright! The big **** (begins with a C and ends with a T)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

There's only about 3 enemies I have genuine trouble with. The toxic cannon guy because he requires a blood punch yet he has one of the most devastating keep-back moves. Just impossible to take him out without getting hit so I usually use the sword on him but his slime can still hurt you after his death ffs.

Arch Vile because Arch Vile

That and this guy

ASa6hVj.png

The Marauder is a right pain in the ass.

Yeah the Doom Hunter went from taking me 20 attempts to kill him the first time to just twatting him aside whenever he shows up now but the Marauder always kills me 10 times when he appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Cordell

I don't like it either, it's no fun, it doesn't really fit. I don't mind that it's hard, but I don't like how it breaks the flow.

Im late game I think,
    chasing the Icon of Sin through a ruined city
    , theres practically a Marauder before every checkpoint now? I was in a wrecked building there a minute ago, cleared out a floor, killed a marauder, went upstairs straight to another Marauder fight. Ive killed 4-5 of them today so far. If there was a mod that let you just shoot them like a Baron Id install it, they're just annoying.

• Advertisement

I've found the chaingun/shield mod combo and the super shotgun to be very effective against the Marauders.. Only took me a several tangles with him in the ARC complex after retrieving Hayden to figure it out..

Finished, 100% on Nightmare, well all secrets and lore anyway I didn't bother with any multiplayer or daily challenges or whatever, what a game, thats how you do a sequel, Im gutted now that I cant fire it up for a quick blast, loved every minute of it.

Cant forgive them for getting rid of the secret levers that reveal classic DOOM levels though, what were they thinking?

Finished, 100% on Nightmare, well all secrets and lore anyway I didn't bother with any multiplayer or daily challenges or whatever, what a game, thats how you do a sequel, Im gutted now that I cant fire it up for a quick blast, loved every minute of it.

Cant forgive them for getting rid of the secret levers that reveal classic DOOM levels though, what were they thinking?

Fair ****ing play!

It wasnt even that much of a challenge and I never bother 100%'ing anything, the gameplay just made it a pleasure to do.

94es8kyx2gq41.png

On to Ultra-Nightmare with you so, gotta get that exclusive gold skin!

Also what would be the point of the secret levers that reveal classic DOOM levels, both DOOM and DOOM II are playable in full as an added bonus, you can access that from old Desktop PC in the Doom Slayers personal quarters. DOOM requires you complete the game and DOOM II requires you to put in a secret code.

They were fun to find in every level, compared to just completing the game.

Don't really see how they are more fun to find than all the other collectables of which there is plenty of in Doom Eternal.

You get the the full version of DOOM and DOOM II which are more fun to play than the watered down versions of the levels found in DOOM 2016.

Well they were, if you find it more fun to unlock the game by entering a cheat code than having to search the level and actually find things then I'm delighted for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm at the stage in the game where I've just killed my first few Doom Hunters.

I look at the shortcut on my desktop and I find myself having no real desire to go back to it.

Advertisement