Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom Eternal

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Thargor wrote: »
    Well they were, if you find it more fun to unlock the game by entering a cheat code than having to search the level and actually find things then I'm delighted for you.

Well if you find it more fun to comb over a map or look up a guide to play a tiny sections of a couple of maps from DOOM and DOOM II as opposed to have the full classic games that still play really well to this day and offer hours upon hours of more content than the DOOM 2016 hidden bonuses than I'm delighted for you, I think most people would appreciate they are getting a far better bonus feature in DOOM Eternal.

And if your itching to find hidden secrets, the classic DOOM games have far more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Azza wrote: »
    Well if you find it more fun to comb over a map or look up a guide to play a tiny sections of a couple of maps from DOOM and DOOM II as opposed to have the full classic games that still play really well to this day and offer hours upon hours of more content than the DOOM 2016 hidden bonuses than I'm delighted for you, I think most people would appreciate they are getting a far better bonus feature in DOOM Eternal.

And if your itching to find hidden secrets, the classic DOOM games have far more of them.
    Like I said Im delighted for you, sorry to hear the secrets in 2016 were a challenge though, I suppose it is better to just put these things in as a simple cheat code you enter than anything too taxing like having to search a level or solve puzzles, more inclusive for everyone. Enjoy Doom 1 and 2 if its your first time experiencing them aswell.

You asked a question what where the developers they thinking when they removed the hidden classic DOOM maps from in game missions, I bet the developers thinking simply was, as we are giving the end users the full versions of DOOM and DOOM II as bonuses it renders sticking in hidden small segments of classic maps redundant, what we removed we replaced with something better so who's going to complain, let alone call it unforgivable.

I wasn't even having a go at you when I said it, don't know why you feel the need to deliberately misunderstand what I was saying so you can imply searching for collectables or solving puzzles is too challenging for me, even though searching for collectables is not really a test of skill but more of patience and occasional annoyance when you miss something only to find your blocked from back tracking and have to replay the mission to go back and pick up a single collectable you missed.

Could you not just have said, I see your point and left it at that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Right back at you, fcuking hell... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

You asked a question what where the developers they thinking when they removed the hidden classic DOOM maps from in game missions, I bet the developers thinking simply was, as we are giving the end users the full versions of DOOM and DOOM II as bonuses it renders sticking in hidden small segments of classic maps redundant, what we removed we replaced with something better so who's going to complain, let alone call it unforgivable.

I wasn't even having a go at you when I said it, don't know why you feel the need to deliberately misunderstand what I was saying so you can imply searching for collectables or solving puzzles is too challenging for me, even though searching for collectables is not really a test of skill but more of patience and occasional annoyance when you miss something only to find your blocked from back tracking and have to replay the mission to go back and pick up a single collectable you missed.

Daaamn mod, take a chill pill :D

• Advertisement

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Heads up for those who may have gotten the Collector's Edition of the game.

https://twitter.com/idSoftware/status/1251593814944428039

https://twitter.com/idSoftware/status/1251593817217732614

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Having a guess here but Bethesda always **** up everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I enjoy the game whenever I play it but I struggle to do more than a half an hour at a time and whenever I've gone a few days without playing, it's really hard to motivate myself to go back. i think it's due to the intensity of it and those annoying platforming segments. It definitely isn't as good as the 2016 game, for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I never understand how someone figures out all these glitches so quickly

And masters them

The game is only out hardly a month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The game attracts the kind of audience that are good at that kind of thing and has potential for any % and 100% speedruns. There's very few modern games like that and which is why you see most speedrunning about older games. This is a fresh feast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It's not the wave-form length they're illustrating it's the dynamic-range compression, to be fair the tweet does state that in the lower content but continues to re-use the wave-length term (which is completely wrong). Anyway yep looks like they compressed the life out of it. I can understand the game doing this either dynamically or having it's own hyper-compressed mix as it has a lot of SFX to compete with, but the pure audio release should not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I never understand how someone figures out all these glitches so quickly

And masters them

The game is only out hardly a month

It's a really interesting watch listening to the devs. One of them at the beginning is quite annoyed that the speedrunner is glitching the game as is swearing that hes going to patch all the exploits out, put in unskippable cutscenes. But as they go on they are pretty impressed, especially as you said since the game has only been out a few weeks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    It's not the wave-form length they're illustrating it's the dynamic-range compression, to be fair the tweet does state that in the lower content but continues to re-use the wave-length term (which is completely wrong). Anyway yep looks like they compressed the life out of it. I can understand the game doing this either dynamically or having it's own hyper-compressed mix as it has a lot of SFX to compete with, but the pure audio release should not.

Absolutely. Can see it plain as day. I watched a live stream sometime in March with Gordon where he went through his process about building the tracks and comparing the difference with the highly compressed audio tracks that they use in the game compared to the album version. It seems he only got to actually mix 2 or 3 of them in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Bought this on PC and was playing it on Ultra-Violence with a joypad. First level gotta hairy sometimes but felt ok, difficulty felt fine and i was slaying demon bitches. Then i unlocked the dash (2nd map?) and i assume the game expectd me to use it in combat:confused::D

I'm double jumping, back and side dashing off cliffs as im unable to see where im going cause the analog stick isn't fast enough to turn on a dime, and if i increase the sensitivity anymore i wouldn't be able to hit a barn yard door from 2 paces. Has anyone beat the game on Ultra using a pad? Or do i simply have to git gud and use KB & M? Haven't played a FPS with KB & M since, since i don't know when...

do i simply have to git gud and use KB & M?
    Yes and yes. KB/M is the way to go with shooters. There's a reason they have aim assist (even in tournament games like fortnite) for gamepads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Yes and yes. KB/M is the way to go with shooters. There's a reason they have aim assist (even in tournament games like fortnite) for gamepads.

Yeah....I'm gonna have to aren't I. I just enjoy playing stuff on pad cause I can sit back and relax. I played the first Doom using pad but it seems they ramped up the difficulty sevenfold for this one.

I initially tried to play with a mouse when I first installed it but I was missing my shots by miles cause I use the mouse generally on very high sensitivity. I may well just uninstall the game and play something else over reaclimating myself to a shooter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Cordell

cause I can sit back and relax
    Not in this game, you don't get to sit back and relax in this one :)

• Advertisement

I initially tried to play with a mouse when I first installed it but I was missing my shots by miles cause I use the mouse generally on very high sensitivity. I may well just uninstall the game and play something else over reaclimating myself to a shooter
    Most people play with too high sensitivity and with terrible acceleration from Windows. Turn down the in-game sensitivity and investigate how to turn off W10 acceleration (I have no experience, I didn't play Doom Eternal on Windows). Use more of your mouse area instead of relying on high sensitivity. If your mouse area is very small, try make some room for it. It's worth it for lots of games.

As for relaxing... I'm relaxed at a desk. Perhaps work on posture? Or is the chair not very good? If you really wish to sit back and slouch on a sofa I know there's things called lapboards or "couch desk". They're quite expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Cordell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M_m_QTFXZM
    It may feel a bit off for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So according to Mick Gordon on Instagram, he's legally handcuffed from doing anything with the soundtrack release for Eternal.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So according to Mick Gordon on Instagram, he's legally handcuffed from doing anything with the soundtrack release for Eternal.

I hate Bethesda

One of the worst publishers in the gaming industry

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I hate Bethesda

One of the worst publishers in the gaming industry

https://old.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/gdg25y/doom_eternal_ost_open_letter/

Have a read of that. You may change your opinion. Sounds like ID were very reasonable and encountered an artist with typical deadline issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

As per usual, there's more to the story than initially assumed but this paragraph was quite peculiar...
    At E3 last year, we announced that the OST would be included with the DOOM Eternal Collector’s Edition (CE) version of the game. At that point in time we didn’t have Mick under contract for the OST and because of ongoing issues receiving the music we needed for the game, did not want to add the distraction at that time. After discussions with Mick in January of this year, we reached general agreement on the terms for Mick to deliver the OST by early March - in time to meet the consumer commitment of including the digital OST with the DOOM Eternal CE at launch.
    On the basis that the game was originally scheduled for release on November 22nd and wasn't publicly moved until October 8th, I have a feeling there's more still to come.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

gizmo wrote: »
    On the basis that the game was originally scheduled for release on November 22nd and wasn't publicly moved until October 8th, I have a feeling there's more still to come.

Yup, they sure are trying to paint Mick as the big bad here and the truth is most definitely somewhere in-between.

J. Marston wrote: »
    https://old.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/gdg25y/doom_eternal_ost_open_letter/

Have a read of that. You may change your opinion. Sounds like ID were very reasonable and encountered an artist with typical deadline issues.

I have no issues with iD

They are the dev

What it says there is fair enough and Mick does come across like he failed to deliver to deadlines

I still hate Bethesda so no nothing changes there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I have no issues with iD

They are the dev

What it says there is fair enough and Mick does come across like he failed to deliver to deadlines

I still hate Bethesda so no nothing changes there

At the same time the deadlines they gave, even with the extension given the nature of the soundtrack were on the unreasonable side. They didn't contract him to mix the OST until January

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

At the same time the deadlines they gave, even with the extension given the nature of the soundtrack were on the unreasonable side. They didn't contract him to mix the OST until January

Still if he is a professional he would realise the amount of time involved and inform the studio that it would take to long to complete from the get go.

Advertisement