Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom Eternal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The amount of projection required for an Exec Producer at iD to criticise someone, however subtly, for missing a deadline though. :pac:

As an aside, what kind of cretin would go after Chad Mossholder directly for this though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Homelander

The ID letter seems fairly genuine and makes logical sense with what we know....very reasonable post and it doesn't really go overly on the attack or defensive, just a clearing of the air, which they had to do given Mick's comments made ID out to be the big corporate bad.

I'd say the truth probably leans towards their side of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Saw it somewhere, and it sort of makes sense, Doom existed before Mick Gordon, it'll exist after him. If he can't make peace with ID/Bethesda, I'd like to see either Chad Mossholder or Andrew Hulshult given the reigns to do the soundtrack for the next game, or the DLC campaigns.

https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/1258758702837964800

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

I've put a few hours into this game now and my opinion is that it's really disappointing. Thought 2016 Doom was one of the best games ever and couldn't wait for this one, but it gets really tiresome really fast. The platforming is a complete ball-ache, some of the levels are so poorly designed and the combat system is way too complicated. Frustrating as hell. Maybe I'm too old for this sh*t but I just don't enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Homelander

If it's any consolation I feel the same. Bought it for €60 and only played 2 hours so far, none of which I really enjoyed that much. Visually it's great and some of the design aspects are really cool, but it just doesn't grab me. I liked Doom 2016 more.

I was also literally thinking maybe I'm just too old for those crazy fast-paced arena style shooters.

• Advertisement

There is an update incoming here

Monsters who kill you will kind of level up and then invade another players world

Harder to kill but you will get a big reward for killing em

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

There is an update incoming here

Monsters who kill you will kind of level up and then invade another players world

Harder to kill but you will get a big reward for killing em

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Cordell

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mando212

Finished a Nightmare run last night holy hell that was intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Ardent wrote: »
    I've put a few hours into this game now and my opinion is that it's really disappointing. Thought 2016 Doom was one of the best games ever and couldn't wait for this one, but it gets really tiresome really fast. The platforming is a complete ball-ache, some of the levels are so poorly designed and the combat system is way too complicated. Frustrating as hell. Maybe I'm too old for this sh*t but I just don't enjoy it.

I was about to post this almost word for word. I loved Doom 2016 but this one is getting on my nerves. What the **** were they thinking with all the platforming? It's like being back in the 16 bit days. The combat I am finding mostly fine, although I would agree that the extra complications/strategies they have made it less fun than the first.

Also is anyone else finding it a bit difficult and/or cheap? I'm not exactly a skilled gamer but I had no problems with Doom 2016, I died a few times here and there but they felt like I was at fault. With this one I seem to be getting swarmed and running out of ammo way more often. Worse still, the checkpoints in it have been awful, I have died and had to complete entire platforming sections all over again.

I am still gonna finish it but it's not a patch on its predecessor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Haven't finished it and at the moment have no urge to do so. Was really looking forward to it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Finally got back to this after about 2 weeks. Decided to ditch playing on mouse and play with pad but knock the difficulty down to Hurt Me Plenty. It's a joy to play and I don't know why I put it off for so long.

I think the game introduces gameplay systems to you to early and to quick in succession, and all I wanted was to jump, shoot and glory kill. But once you get a feel for the gameplay it really starts to click. Infact I have gotten so comfortable with the pad that I was thinking of upping the difficulty to Ultra again. It's still alot of fun to play on Hurt Me Plenty. I may do higher difficulty on next run through the game (Except I won't, I just know I wont)

It really is a love it or hate it sequel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

A big problem for me early on in the game - dunno if it becomes less prevalent later on - is the chronic lack of ammo means you're repeatedly circling the arena chainsaw-ing fodder demons. For the larger battles, you're trying to stock up like this a crazy amount of times, and it just becomes this huge chore after the billionth time of doing it.

Ardent wrote: »
    A big problem for me early on in the game - dunno if it becomes less prevalent later on - is the chronic lack of ammo means you're repeatedly circling the arena chainsaw-ing fodder demons. For the larger battles, you're trying to stock up like this a crazy amount of times, and it just becomes this huge chore after the billionth time of doing it.

I am having that problem too, again I remember being out of ammo frequently enough in Doom 2016 but I was never desperately dashing around the battlefield looking for a demon to chainsaw. You can upgrade your ammo capacity but I prioritised health because of how cheap the deaths are (and the bloody platforming).

Now that I have health maxed I think I will alternate my sentinel crystals between armor and ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I dont like the idea of glory kills as being such an important part of the game, it feels like control is taken away from me too many time to really enjoy, another problem I have is that I do not like the idea of arenas, It seems like a cheap way to extend the length of the game ie; move into room, demons appear.....kill all demons in order for the door to open, rinse and repeat. I would have loved for it to feel more like a real game where you keep traveling forward and are not constrained by artificial means, I finished the first game and it was decent but have only payed 40 minutes of this one as it feels like more of the same.

Arena fights were in Doom since the very beginning, you can't fault them for keeping it true to the originals as much as possible. If you don't like it you don't like it, but it's not fair to be disappointed by things that were to be expected.

Cordell wrote: »
    Arena fights were in Doom since the very beginning, you can't fault them for keeping it true to the originals as much as possible. If you don't like it you don't like it, but it's not fair to be disappointed by things that were to be expected.

No they were not, The new one is so limited and almost feels like room to room in the most extreme of cases, you can not seriously tell me it feel like the old doom which was about long corridors with multiple keys, secrets, the only case where is was arena like was the boss fights.

Well, there were a lots of rooms filled with baddies, but the difference was that you were able to run past them and not being locked in until you finished them all like now, but really no one did that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Cordell wrote: »
    Well, there were a lots of rooms filled with baddies, but the difference was that you were able to run past them and not being locked in until you finished them all like now, but really no one did that :)
    I actually didn't:(

• Advertisement

I dont like the idea of glory kills as being such an important part of the game, it feels like control is taken away from me too many time to really enjoy, another problem I have is that I do not like the idea of arenas, It seems like a cheap way to extend the length of the game ie; move into room, demons appear.....kill all demons in order for the door to open, rinse and repeat. I would have loved for it to feel more like a real game where you keep traveling forward and are not constrained by artificial means, I finished the first game and it was decent but have only payed 40 minutes of this one as it feels like more of the same.

The arena fights in this and the previous doom are a key part of what makes the combat fun IMO. You get into a great rhythm of shooting, scavenging, varying weapons etc, all at high speed. The balance was perfect in the last game but they messed with the formula too much in this one with overly complicated new mechanics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

It's more fun after half way I'd say. Early on with the scarcity of ammo/armour/health, it's just a chore for some of the arena battles. The problem being then that the game is basically moving from one room to another with some platform bits to connect. I preferred 2016 in that sense. The levels were more unique, overlapping bits, more realistic in terms of layout.

The combat can be really tough. I played on Ultra Violence and it did take a few times to clear some sections. Maurader is just frustrating to fight against. Don't really enjoy the shielded enemies either.

You basically have to keep moving around and pick off the fodder demons for armour, health and ammo. When you get into the rhytm though, it did feel pretty good clearing battles.

I think they really went for the classic Doom style with this one. I'm not sure why they did that after the success of the last one but I hope they find a balance for the next. It definitely wasn't as enjoyable.

Markitron wrote: »
    The arena fights in this and the previous doom are a key part of what makes the combat fun IMO. You get into a great rhythm of shooting, scavenging, varying weapons etc, all at high speed. The balance was perfect in the last game but they messed with the formula too much in this one with overly complicated new mechanics

But it is not immersive and feels too much like a game, following liner game rules.

In this we enter a room and keep moving around that room in almost circular fashion, demons just keep re-spawning until a certain amound are killed and then a door opens, in doom 1993 you moved forward, killed demons that are in the way and when you found a door that was locked you explored to find a key for that door, I really see these two games as being played completely differently and do not understand people thinking they are a like, Doom Eternal feels more like quake 3 arena with demons.

It sounds like I dont like the game but I do and I agree it is fun but some times I want a little more, Maybe it is because I already went through something similar with finishing Doom 2016 and this just feels like more of the same. I am sure I will get back on board when I have less distractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Has the console version of the game been affected by the update patch released recently, seen a lot of videos on YouTube, and PC Gamers aren't all that happy about the Denuvo anti-cheat.

Almost worried to boot up the PS4 to play it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Has the console version of the game been affected by the update patch released recently, seen a lot of videos on YouTube, and PC Gamers aren't all that happy about the Denuvo anti-cheat.

Almost worried to boot up the PS4 to play it..

Denuvo is PC only. The anti cheat is going to be patched out again after severe consumer backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

After putting some more time into this I have come to the conclusion that it is a masterpiece. The gameplay loop is far better than the first game. I'm playing on Ultra Violence and it's challenging enough but that rush you get as you are stringing all your abilities together and dominate the demons is second to none. It's the best single player FPS I have ever played

I started getting into it a bit more yesterday, had to actually force myself to play it but once I did it got a lot more fun now that I have a few upgrades. I got to one combat section in level 6 and its a gigantic pain in the arse. The area is small and full of dead ends and the enemies just won't stop coming. I must have killed about 60 or so of them and a load more spawned, I died when I was literally pinned in a corner and couldn't move. The deaths in this are really really cheap. Probably gonna put me off playing it for another week.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I've almost half way through a second nightmare play through of this and man I'm enjoying it alot more than my first run through.

Firstly I know where all the secrets are so the pacing of the game is improved as I'm not having to spend much time searching for them.

But the combat is really clicking this time. I was watching youtuber Under the Mayo videos on Doom Eternal and how he approach combat and seen the considerably depth there is to this game.

Firstly I did something I almost never do and changed the button layout. I struggled with it a bit on my first play through, fumbling over the default keys and not really using the grenades much.
    So I binded the flame blech and grenade throw to side mouse buttons and switched the Super Shotgun (max close range damage) and Balista (max long range damage) to mouse wheel up and down and suddenly weapon switching and grenade use is much easier and less daunting and allows me to handle the enemy encounters much better.

In my first run through, I had to use the Sentinel Armour to beat the bosses (and I'm loath to use any assist), this time around I beat the Doom Hunter in 4 attempts and the Marauder on my first go. I also only beat the first two Slayer gates before I had to fully level up all my weapons, health and armour before going back to the last 4, but not this time round already cleared the first 4 gates with the stats I had earned up to the point of encountering the gates.

Tactics wise, you have to keep moving, you stop moving you die and you need to be keeping an eye on health, armour and ammo at all times. The fodder demons are there to resupply you when you run low on any resource, and you can use the invincibility frames of glory and chainsaw kills tactically to get you out of trouble when needed and also keep Blood Punch as an emergency get out of jail card when surrounded by fodder demons.

Moving keeps you from getting hit by most enemies, but enemies like the Arachnotron, Revenant and Mancubus can hit you while moving so you need to prioritize taking out there weak points, which can be done in a number of ways, like sticky grenade, precision shot, standard balista shot, blood punch or exploding barrel. The grenades are excellent in this game, tougher enemies can be faltered with the standard grenades or frozen in place with the freeze grenade which allows you to get free shots, manage crowds and again get out of sticky situations. They allow you to get up close safely with your big damage weapons. The Super Shotgun is excellent, the hook again can be used to evade enemies or get up close fast to do big damage. It can been even used to skip certain sections of the levels via hook jumping to reach heights and gaps you normally wouldn't be able to.

Basically I know how to deal with specific enemy types better, I'm selecting the right weapons for the job at hand (range and enemy type) and remembering to use grenades and the flame blech and I'm finding the combat loop so much better. Everything just clicked into place. The low ammo count isn't an issue for me and I don't feel aggrieved in any way that I can't just stick to one or two weapons, I'm liking having to use everything in my arsenal. I don't mind having to hunt down fodder enemies to restock up either, it gives you a chance to take a breather when fighting groups of tougher enemies. I'd imagine going back to Doom 2016 will be hard now, the movement options would be lacking, enemy encounters have less variety in how to deal with them tactically, grenades are pretty meh and there is no falter system.

After I complete my second play though I fancy my chances at the master levels now. Looking forward to the expansion as well.

• Advertisement

Advertisement