Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom Eternal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Cordell

So far, best game ever made.
    Like, seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Played the first level. Very short first impressions.

Pros:
    Gameplay is just as good as the previous game, possibly a bit more fluid. Time will tell but I can see it being better than the previous the more I get into it.
    Bit of story line is nice. Not too much now though. Atmosphere is good.
    Audio still excellent.

Cons:
    The UI/menus. Jesus no, it looks like it's designed by/for kids.
    The garish colors and general aesthetic. I much preferred the more modern/sci-fi gritty colouring/feel of the previous game (and this applies to the menus as well). The graphics also just don't look as good so far. I've only seen the first level, but I really hope this improves/changes.
    The two above make me think that this has been far more consolised, and I really hope this isn't the case.

Will get back into it on Saturday and see how it goes. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Is this on any service atm Xbox pass pc , stadia etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Enjoying it so far...the only bum note is the poxy platforming.

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

Find the platforming fine. I'm on PC though so can't comment on consoles controls.

• Advertisement

PC as well...could be just me :P

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

Sorry if posted already - just thought it might be relevant. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Enjoying it so far...the only bum note is the poxy platforming.
    Find the platforming fine. I'm on PC though so can't comment on consoles controls.
    PC as well...could be just me :P

Platforming's fine on the PS4 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Sorry if posted already - just thought it might be relevant. :)

Was looking for that. Couldn’t find it, didn’t look very hard tbf.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Played about 90 mins or so and...it's okay, well no it's good but not great imho. As mentioned the platforming aspect is ridiculous, I finally started the latest Tomb Raider trilogy a few weeks back and this really did bring back memories as it was running through the mobility tutorial points. And even then it doesn't work anywhere remotely aswell because of my biggest issue. It just moves 'wrong', which means it feels wrong to me. The last Doom was so fluid, the action and physics had weight whereas this feels like a semi-floaty cheap arcade knockoff. Simple things like anything that has you lunge forward you pretty much just appear at the target, mantling where you are say only barely above the catch point but a split second later your are on the platform.
    Lowering the ammo count, making Melee useless outside of Glory Kills or Blood punch, it is going in so hard on making you constantly switch weapons and chainsaw as much as possible that it removes the idea of having a favourite weapon or 2 that suits your style.

Similarly while the action is frenetic it doesn't feel as satisfying as the previous. Chaotic rather than challenging. It all comes back to the feel, 2016 was challenging but fluid, this feels rough.

A telling point is that after looking forward to this as much as anyone else I only played 90 mins before turning it off. The previous, I played it solid for 3 days. I'll probably try some more later and definitely over the weekend but if it doesn't majorly change then for me it's going into the 'Meh' sequel category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Finding this more of a grind than the previous one, buts it's the environment that's annoying me most, i find jumping and dashing long distances very frustrating.

I personally find platforming and dashing a good addition over the old (as in 2016 old) mechanics, it makes it a bit different while still keeping it as more of the same. It's a perfect balance imho.
    Also, the meathook.

Cordell wrote: »
    I personally find platforming and dashing a good addition over the old (as in 2016 old) mechanics, it makes it a bit different while still keeping it as more of the same. It's a perfect balance imho.
    Also, the meathook.

My experience has been now it's unlocked it's not just a tactical choice but is now the expected way to complete future tasks. Double Jump,Dash etc. should be tactical options, they shouldn't be introduced and then simply become the necessary, at that point they are just button-press extensions of the same function. And that....is simply bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Dunno if it was mentioned yet but the game's non-DRM exe (crack) was left in the release: http://archive.is/ttqZn
    Likely by accident but also possibly on purpose. I doubt most of the staff actually likes Bethesda or ID so it could have been out of spite. Hope to see some comparison benchmarks to see if this suffers longer load times or other performance losses from the DRM like others have shown.

Dunno if it was mentioned yet but the game's non-DRM exe (crack) was left in the release: http://archive.is/ttqZn
    Likely by accident but also possibly on purpose. I doubt most of the staff actually likes Bethesda or ID so it could have been out of spite. Hope to see some comparison benchmarks to see if this suffers longer load times or other performance losses from the DRM like others have shown.
    I posted a torrent freak arctile above.....I think its only in the version D/L from Bethesda directly ? (Actually haven't checked my steam install)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Ah right. Well my friend's library has it so I've downloaded it. Might try it with the DRM free exe and see if that works later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Getting into a bit now, combat is brutal...very relentless even more so than the 2016 version, I'm getting dizzy from the constantly running around in circles, you literally have to keep moving or you'll die easily, some of the battles seem like they go on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This is a masterpiece! I avoided every single thing about it since I first saw this thread until last night because I knew it would be my GOTY.

Amazing intro with the distress signals from Earth etc but so much lore and popups and upgrades and other stuff including constant interruptions and unnecessary platforming and wall climbing for the first couple of hours made me a bit nervous that they'd messed it up but then it hits its stride and is completely mad.

Playing on Nightmare enemies are an actual challenge now, you get nervous when you see a mancubus coming and you're dead if you stand still. It's a perfect sequel, they've improved everything. The upgrades and challenges are brilliant and the rewards you get from them are so worth it this time around.

Couldn't ask for more from a sequel tbh, they're ruining other FPSs for me forever with this level of gameplay perfection.

Not feeling this so far. Got the second gun, died once and just exited the game. The combat is exactly the same as the last game. I'm think I'm kinda bored of single player fps games.

• Advertisement

I put in about 3 more hours last night and tbh it is getting better. It still has the issues I mentioned earlier where the movement is off and it feels too floaty/arcadey but the later levels are a lot more fun than the initial few tutorial areas. It's improved enough to where I do want to see where it goes, whereas after the first 90mins or so on Friday I had little interest and even considered refunding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Feel the same as Creed. It's improving. It's still no Doom 2016 (what is though, that game was pretty much perfect for me), but it's getting better. Still only a 6 out of ten though.

Barring the performance. That's 10/10, game is so so smooth. Superb work there, id.

Obviously it's down to personal preference, for me it's still 10/10 and the best game ever made. Yes, that means it's better than Doom 2016 which now becomes the second best game ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Should this be good enough spec wise to run it

506741.png

Yes, you should get decent performance (60+ fps) at 1080p as long as you don't crank everything all the way up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Game runs buttery smooth on my 1070 at ultra at 1440p. Insane how good the performance is, thinking of cranking stuff up above ultra it runs that good.

The game... played the first mission and not really feeling it. Was going after collectibles but since it looks like they add nothing I think I'll just concentrate on the game and only go for important upgrades.

Nice you can fast travel back as well in case you missed one.

Should this be good enough spec wise to run it

506741.png

Will run easily @ 60fps

Game is incredibly well optimized.

I'm running it maxed out @ 144fps. So smooth.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Game runs buttery smooth on my 1070 at ultra at 1440p. Insane how good the performance is, thinking of cranking stuff up above ultra it runs that good.

The game... played the first mission and not really feeling it. Was going after collectibles but since it looks like they add nothing I think I'll just concentrate on the game and only go for important upgrades.

Nice you can fast travel back as well in case you missed one.

Make sure to play on Ultra Violence or higher if you can stomach it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

What graphics card would give you perfect performance on this ?
    / just curious ...

• Advertisement

What graphics card would give you perfect performance on this ?
    / just curious ...

I have an AMD RX5700 model. Think I've it set to use the Vulkan API in-game.

I have all graphical settings at ultra on a 1080p 144hz Freesync Monitor

It's pretty much locked to 144fps. Dipped to around 120fps in one or two hectic fight sequences.

I'm near the last few levels of the game.

Advertisement